• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
2018-09-06 08.51.47.jpg
The fabulously quirky Albergue Amanecer, just outside Población de Campos.

Stopping here for breakfast, it was a place I quickly wished I had stayed in overnight, given the cheerful hilarity of the staff, the wigwams, the dreamcatchers and all the musical instruments.

Not only that, but they were playing a Gregorian chant version of Pink Floyd's “Wish You Were Here” when we arrived.

Perfect!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Granon, February 20, 2007

The Granon albergue within a tower of the church of San Juan Bautista was always a special stop.
Once invited by the gracious priest I climbed a ladder onto the roof to see this wide view.
... Unforgettable!

Granon, view from tower.jpgGranon, roofs.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2018-09-06 12.40.04.jpg
Arriving at Calzadilla de la Cueza after a torturous transit across the Meseta on a burning September day, the sense of relief was further boosted by meeting Matt from Northern Ireland at the cafe there.

He was toting a portable speaker blaring out cheerful ABBA tunes and a solar-powered muffin oven as his method of Meseta survival.

He was clearly not one who worried about the weight he was carrying!

For the rest of the day, ABBA's "Voulez-Vous" was playing on a loop in my head, which was a good thing. I didn't get to taste one of the muffins though!

After crossing this (terrifying) bridge
Q34500-HOR.jpg
I had to ascend these stairs.
Q34400-HOR.jpg
Why didn't Portomarín just put up a No trespassing sign?

For the rest of the day, ABBA's "Voulez-Vous" was playing on a loop in my head, which was a good thing.
That won't happen today. ;)

Last edited:

Attachments

• 7496D7CB-4673-4166-97F1-8C564BF62700.jpeg
    7496D7CB-4673-4166-97F1-8C564BF62700.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 93969
Arriving at Calzadilla de la Cueza after a torturous transit across the Meseta on a burning September day, the sense of relief was further boosted by meeting Matt from Northern Ireland at the cafe there.

He was toting a portable speaker blaring out cheerful ABBA tunes and a solar-powered muffin oven as his method of Meseta survival.

He was clearly not one who worried about the weight he was carrying!

For the rest of the day, ABBA's "Voulez-Vous" was playing on a loop in my head, which was a good thing. I didn't get to taste one of the muffins though!
It looks like Matt has a utility belt that would make Batman jealous! He even has a roll of duct tape and bungee cords on there! lol!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sunrise west of Hontanas
November 11, 2012

west of Hontanas 11.11.2012.jpg

..."Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning."

Psalm 30:5

May the potential of each sunrise
provide daily hope. Carpe diem and, in the truest sense, Ultreia!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Irun to Pasajes de San Juan, April, 2018.
Santuario La Virgen de Guadalupe, the patron saint of Hondarribia, is visible from practically the entire municipality. The hermitage is located on Mount Jaizkibel (545 m) and was erected in the 16th century. Destroyed and rebuilt several times after the sieges suffered by the city throughout history, the current construction dates from the 19th century.
P4260129.JPGP4260124.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Santo Domingo de la Calzada,
contemporary coop
November 1, 2012

Santo Domingo de la  Calzada 01.11.2012.jpg

This recent garden structure shelters a future 'church coop choir'; before dawn each morning their lively chorus announces another new day to all the Casa del Santo dorm!

Domingo after whom the town is named was an 11th century hermit who devoted his life to improving the local pilgrimage route, ie. the calzada. Buried within the cathedral, he later became a saint and the village took his name. In the 12th century the local confraternity, Cofradia del Santo was formed to help and host pilgrims as they still do today.

Due to a later legend of a young pilgrim's life being saved through the assistance of immortal chickens Saint Domingo himself is usually depicted accompanied by such birds.

There is an historic coop complete with chickens (changed every two weeks!) within the cathedral and over time chickens have become THE symbol of the town.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port,
55 rue de la Citadelle, a special threshold

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port  13.10.15.jpg

October 13, 2015

"For me the Camino Frances could ONLY begin at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, the picturesque Basque mountain town in the French Pyrenees.

At 55 rue de la Citadelle the famous red door of the municipal albergue with its welcoming shell was ajar. Crossing that special threshold symbolically always begins my new Camino adventure; it is a magical entrance to another way of life, the Camino way.

Mme Jeannine, the tireless hospitalera who has served pilgrims for so many years is in charge. She greeted me happily with a big hug, fond recollections and many kind wishes.
...Thus serendipity prevails."

Last edited:

€60,-
View attachment 94146

Albergue municipal in Azofra. CF 2011.
Nice village!
I stayed there one year as well and was soooo excited when I saw the rooms. And then the wheels fell off the cart. Turns out the old school dorm rooms were built for children who are 5' tall and 18" wide. As a 6'3" chap who most certainly has exceeded 18" of width, it turned out to be a terrible sleep because there was no way to position myself to be comfortable. I later saw a photo of someone with the same issue who dragged his mattress into the bathroom so at least he could stretch out...!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€60,-
west of Azofra, mixed moods

Rollo, west of Azofra 19.02.07.jpg

February 19, 2007

"Today was a long cold slog, but without wet mud. The sky was vivid blue and the sun bright; deep snow covered mountains to the south on my left

At the historic Rollo west of Azofra
I pondered how many countless pilgrims had passed this ancient post throughout time. Conscious that I was treading where ‘their feet had trod’ it was doubly surprising when later in the morning after the camino climbed up to a recent golf course at Cirueña it later crossed a new but vacant upmarket housing estate. Tempora mutantur!"

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
west of Azofra, mixed moods

View attachment 94207

February 19, 2007

"Today was a long cold slog, but without wet mud. The sky was vivid blue and the sun bright; deep snow covered mountains to the south on my left

At the historic Rollo west of Azofra
I pondered how many countless pilgrims had passed this ancient post throughout time. Conscious that I was treading where ‘their feet had trod’ it was doubly surprising when later in the morning after the camino climbed up to a recent golf course at Cirueña it later crossed a new but vacant upmarket housing estate. Tempora mutantur!"
Sadly (for me), the Rollo has been another victim of the "Concrete Fever"...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cirauqui
Iglesia San Roman detail
photo taken October 23, 2013

Iglesia San Roman 23.10.2013.jpg

Waving as we passedl

Although I usually walked alone I hardly ever felt lonely. Much of each day was spent simply waving to those I passed and those that passed me by. These included some pathside sculpture and striding pilgrims, of course, but also dog walkers, police, bikers, farmers and especially lorry drivers.

Such waves exchanged were silent gestures of our shared humanity.

Last edited:
Albergue, Mansilla de las Mulas. Maybe, once more, the previous location I stated was wrong. Was it Mansilla? My pm angel on location, come to my aid! Anyway, here, there was a lovely courtyard. We arrived around the same time as a fast moving troupe of German women who had taken an older man in tow. The courtyard in this albergue was a delightful space, full of flowers. Was it here we had Maragata stew? I sometimes think of walking the whole CF again. I doubt it will happen, so it is lovely to cherry pick my own photos, and those of others, to let my mind wander over that most unanticipated event in my life.

209albergue de Mansilla de las Mulas.jpg

It is such a nice, sunny day on the west coast today, I had to dig back to find some spring Camino photos that matched my mood today...! This one is shortly after Sahagun and was breathtaking... I remembered the Canola (Rape) growing as we went up Alto del Perdon but this was sooo much more inspiring!

Spring_Colour.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Irache. CF 2011. I think I was the only one visiting the premises seeing most people just stop at that wine fountain.View attachment 94369
We also spent most of our rest day in Estella exploring Monasterio de Irache. In fact we had a picnic lunch in the village square outside the Chapel.
29 Aug #10 1230hrs Chapel of San Pedro  Monasterio de Irache.JPG

Cee.jpg

Igrexa de Santa Maria de Xunqueira in Cee. Epilogue to Finisterre.2015. Only five days but for me it felt like a complete Camino.

near Cardenuela Riopico
photo taken October 19, 2004

Camino 1 19.10.2004.jpg

The first time I "saw" my way

In chill autumnal rain I slowly walked across Olmos de Atapuerca. Looking towards Villaval, Cardenuela Riopico and Burgos on the distant horizon, the rolling greenery was broken only by the giant curve of the dusty trail. All was reduced to simple basics.

Alone on that seemingly endless gravel path beneath the vast dome of an immense sky I sensed that special moment when everything 'clicked' realizing that this was, indeed, MY way and that all was and would be good.

Iglesia de San Esteban, Zabadilka just before Pamplona. I had never seen post it notes behind a statue of Jesus before in any church, all with personal camino wishes on them. Beautiful, peaceful place

Attachments

• 20140508_120253.jpg
    20140508_120253.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20140508_120230.jpg
    20140508_120230.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33

€83,-
Easter Morning, 2019 - Stopped for a rest at O Cebreiro and my Camino Amigo Thomas from Denmark comes rushing over to me and says, "Come quickly to the church!" I followed his urging and beheld a beautiful Easter Morning sight ... O Cebreiro Easter.JPG

Hontanas, September 2012. Pilgrims illuminated in the overflow accommodation in the sports hall next to the albergue. This photo was around 2pm and by 5pm the floor was covered with mattresses. It was very organized. Two women and two men were helping with the distribution and placement of mattresses, creating aisles in the middle and a clear perimeter around so people could move freely.

hontanas.jpg

Vilar de Donas
Iglesia de San Salvador, door

photo taken November 13, 2004

Iglesia de San Salvador 13.11.2004.jpg

A doorway to eternal rest

East of Palas de Rei the 12th century Iglesia de San Salvador in Vilar de Donas, was the official burial place of the Chevaliers de Santiago for several centuries.

Extraordinary iron fittings support the wooden panels of the great entrance door; within delicate 15th century frescos surround tombs topped with recumbent effigies of the knights.

When I slipped into visit in 2004 restoration had just begun. For comprehensive history and stylistic analysis in Spanish see San Salvador de Donas

From Portos on the CF it is a 30 min. 2.4km walk following the LU P 4005 crossing attractive undulating countryside thick with low walls, oak, pine and gorse.

...Almost hidden in the verdant countryside San Salvador de Donas was, and hopefully still is, a special site filled with eternal peace .

Last edited:
After two days off and meeting with family who had travelled from Scotland to see us, we departed San Sebastian and continued on the Camino del Norte. Again this is looking back up the coast to where we had walked from. April, 2018.
View attachment 94452
It’s an extraordinary place, San Sebastián

Approaching Finisterra by the beach.
T11100-HOR.jpg
I thought that I might see Peg here but, although she had been here earlier, I met her at the albergue that she had booked. Peg had stayed a bit in Santiago and bussed to Finisterra in the morning. The distances of the stages along the way was too long for her to be comfortable walking. We did do the two days to Muxia together though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back