• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nearing Espinal
photo taken October 17, 2014

Nearing Espinal 17.10.2014 .jpg

Here comes the sun

Although the 5 hour slog up the Valcarlos route the day before to Roncesvalles had been exhausting, the morning's copious
breakfast in Burguete with fresh squeezed orange juice (at times better than champagne) provided instant necessary energy.
Thus the camino path downhill towards Espinal was easy and my confidence returned while walking toward that glorious sunlight.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In 2019 I was fortunate enough to be walking El Camino during Holy Week (also see my post and photo #786 in this thread from Easter Morning in O Cebreiro). If any of you have ever experienced Holy Week on El Camino, you may remember the elaborate processionals that occur through the streets in the different cities and towns. I took the photo below in Ponferrada on Holy Thursday, hence the float representing the Last Supper. Jesus Christ is standing at the head of the table, and the person closest on the right, holding the bag of money, would be Judas Iscariot. But as I looked at the table, I realized there was another person there whom we all know, and that person is the Apostle James, also known as ... Santiago de Compostela! An incredibly important personage in the history of Spain.

Ponferrada - Last Supper.JPG

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Leboreiro
Cabazo or Granary

photo taken November 30, 2011

Cabazo (Grainary) 30.11.2011.jpg

..Located in the small village of Leboreiro, on the CF east of Melide, is this typical Cabazo, that is, a granary in the form of gigantic basket used to preserve corn

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
March 25, 2019 – I took this photo from the Citadel in SJPP, looking toward the Pyrenees, on the afternoon before I would start my first Camino. Bring yourself back to your first Camino … your first trepidatious steps. What thoughts swirled through your mind … will I find the albergue … will there be a bed … what about communicating? I needn't have concerned myself. El Camino turned out to be the single most meaningful and uplifting spiritual journey in my 60-something years of life. I tip my hat to acknowledge everyone who makes the Camino possible and who perpetuates its spirit. I wish everyone an equally rewarding Camino. Plans to return as soon as practical are already underway, and if it had not been for Covid, I would have returned months ago.

Pyrenees from the Citadel.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Between Reliegos and Mansilla de las Mulas.jpg
Even on the CF it is possible to have quiet and solitary moments.
Roadworks between Reliegos and Mansilla de las Mulas. CF 2013 in March. Was the only pilgrim that day that stayed the night in Reliegos and actually saw no other other one until I walked into Mansilla.
I remember the local police drove by and stopped to ask me if I was ok.

Villalcazar de Sirga,
Iglesia de Santa María la Blanca, main door
photo taken November 6, 2011

Villalcazar de Sirga 06.11.2011.jpg

Patterns

In Villalcazar de Sirga the masive and austere fortress-church, Santa Maria la Blanca was built in the 13th century by the Knights Templar.

Diagonally opposite the restaurant
El Meson des Templiers has also existed for centuries. In 2011 filled with antiques it appeared quite up-market. However we pilgrims shown a table four steps lower than other diners, ie. truly below the salt were served a delicious special pilgrim menu for 11€.

Feeling mellow after that copious bargain lunch I revisited this church door. Sunlight on the surface dazzled while the repeated simple wooden structural units created an overall rhythmic pattern of interconnection.

Similarly the Camino is composed of separate pilgrims forming
interconnections. Walking with Belgian, Spanish and German experienced long distance trekers our common "language" was smiling. We may stop at the same bar for coffee or sleep in the same albergue but in no sense did we move as a single force! Each follows his own way.

Content just to be, we all try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad ie. incessent rain and heavy mud, after all this is life.Thankful at the end of each day for a bed (preferably a bottom bunk for me), working toilet, hot shower, something to eat and when possible good companionship and human interconnection.

Such was the pattern those days moving ever westward . Carpe diem!

Last edited:
I know I posted this before, but it is in the queue of my sequenced photos and I just cannot resist showing you the beautiful smile on the face of the young woman who helped me with getting credit on my phone - 2006, not as simple as now with direct debits and no roaming charges within Europe.
Facing the magnificent Parador, the shop was on the left, with the statue of the seated pilgrim in front and centre. I will look for my version of that photo, although I have posted that before as well!

223.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What a day. It started in Pamplona because the day before only saw me land in Madrid and take a bus to Pamplona, arriving at 10pm. A night at a Pension and then found myself in a taxi headed to SJPDP. It was a really wet, windy January day and I can vividly remember trying on my poncho for the first time in those conditions. It didn't go well. After those antics I found my way up to the first of several portals I would pass through. The normal Pilgrim office was closed for winter but managed to find the winter office and found myself in the Albergue with Mme Jeannine for the evening. Not sure if I slept much more than a couple of hours that night, making ready for the grand adventure ahead...

First_Steps.jpg

Najera
Santa Maria Real, cupola, interior
photo taken February 18, 2007

Santa Mariia Real, cupola 18.02.2007.jpg

When Santa Maria la Real
dating from the 11th century and built from local red stone after a two year restoration reopened it was repurposed as a museum. Unfortunately in the extremely dim light beneath this cupola most sculpture and many royal tombs were quite difficult to see/study properly.

What a relief it was to finally exit
that dark monastery interior
into abundant natural daylight despite the ever present rain!

Last edited:
When I walked the Frances in 2016, from SJPP I damaged a cruciate ligament. I was 15 miles from Santiago, I finished by taxi. I returned in 2019 and completed it on foot.
Whilst staying in Santiago, unable to walk very far, 100 Metres or so, I took photos, in between sitting down at cafes. This is early one morning, quiet, no pilgrims, wet pavement, low sun, and monochrome. I found it very tranquil and healing. I did not walk up the slope.

Attachments

• P1000395 copy.jpg
    P1000395 copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Compass? Map? GPS? Nah, they said. Impossible to get lost they said. I respectfully beg to differ.
Jan 7th, 2013. Left SJPDP before 1st light (Of course, everyone was excited, right?) and headed up the Valcarlos route as one does in winter. Crossed the small bridge shortly after leaving town. So far, so good. Came to the first fork in the road (yellow arrow pointing left but too dark to see that. At least too dark the first time I saw it... I think the literary folk call that foreshadowing...) and headed straight on. Only went about 100-200 metres or so and seemed wrong so stopped to get bearings and read guide book. But 'fortunately' an Italian and Portuguese Pilgrim came walking up to me with the 'all good sign'. The Italian said this was his 3rd Camino so... Yay, me, I'm on the right track after all! Off we went in blissful ignorance. The Portugese was a very fast walker so shot off ahead of us. I stayed with the Italian and we chatted and enjoyed the beautiful countryside and the absolute absence of other Pilgrims. A winter Camino dream came true...! About an hour later as we wandered along what had become a mountain road I asked if this all looked familiar to which I got a pretty shaky answer. Thankfully we came across someone working on the road and were able to ask where we were and if Valcarlos was ahead. Smiling the worker said no, that it was about 20 km behind us. Seems we had gone pretty much north out of SJPDP instead of the prescribed south-west. About face, and march! By the time we reached Valcarlos my GPS had recorded 28kms. Not bad, you know if we had been arriving in Ronscevalles but when considering Valcarlos is only 13 km from SJPDP, 28 km wasn't such a sterling start to my first Camino...! Sadly, the Portuguese walked until it was almost dark before finding a farmhouse to stop and ask directions. He was over 30 km from Valcarlos so the wife put him in her car and drove him to us... So, moral of the story... if anyone tells you its impossible to get lost on the CF, smile, nod and keep your GPS handy...!

First photo shows Portugues surging ahead, due north

Yup_Lost.jpg

Second photo is the gang reunited and laughing over good vino tinto in Valcarlos

reunited.jpg

€149,-
Moutras, Hórreo
photo taken March 16, 2009

Moutras, Horreo 16.03.2009.jpg

Wrapped in mid morning fog this two story wooden hórreo or corn crib appeared almost magical to me in 2009.

Fellow walker D. Madill in his 2014 blog
Gallician Granaries provides splendid research re the history and location of these distinct structures

To arrive at Moutras I had followed the CF and LU P 4203 route from Ferreiros after spending the night at the cosy Xunta de Galicia albergue almost hidden in the wood; over the years each visit was a pleasure.

Last edited:
On my last visit, 2019, I started at Tui and did the Portuguese to SDC, then the Frances from Ponferrada to SDC. Being greedy I then used up my spare time, before returning home, to do half an Inglese. This picture, near Meson do Vento, is to remind me of warm dawn starts and golden sunshine. Looking forward to finishing the other half, one day.IMG_20190525_071636007_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
230stork3.jpg
It took me ages to remember the name for this gable in Spanish...

Bell-gable​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bell gable (Spanish: espadaña, Catalan: espadanya, French: clocher-mur, Italian: campanile a vela) is an architectural element crowning the upper end of the wall of church buildings, usually in lieu of a church tower. It consists of a gable end in stone, with small hollow semi-circular arches where the church bells are placed. It is a characteristic example of the simplicity of Romanesque architecture.

2016 at San Anton. Two owl chicks , A Male and female , the smaller Female has it's head turned and is looking at the Male. Note how they poop outside the nest. One of the parent owls would bring live prey in the early hours of the morning and drop it on the roof of the albergue. Pandamonium with screeches was the norm but quite disturbing for some pilgrims.

CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 157.JPG

Continuing our wonderful sharing on a new thread. (Haha, please don't feel shy to post here again today even if you already posted in the other thread! And don't worry about repeating yourself — none of us are the same people we were 6 months ago nor do we have the same eyes.)

Today's choice is inspired by @JohnLloyd's shadowplay yesterday:
View media item 6939

2016 at San Anton. Two owl chicks , A Male and female , the smaller Female has it's head turned and is looking at the Male. Note how they poop outside the nest. One of the parent owls would bring live prey in the early hours of the morning and drop it on the roof of the albergue. Pandamonium with screeches was the norm but quite disturbing for some pilgrims.

View attachment 94810
I love this...how very unique and unusual to see owls in this unnatural habitat. I've only seen them in trees, swooping in flight, or in an aviary.

Entering Redondela, on a Sunday, we knew not much would be open. As we arrived we discovered a two day puppetry festival. So no shops open and all cafes, bars, totally full or reserved. So it was snacks from the rucsacks for dinner. However the puppets, all sizes and shapes where wonderful.
IMG_20190517_193232994_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm noticing a few new posters to this thread. Not intending any shaming I want to say that on this thread (and others that get a lot of photographs attached) we've informally agreed to submit the photos as thumbnails. This prevents browsers from submitting many, many megabytes of pictures already seen with each download or refresh. That really speeds up webpage display times. It has been appreciated by forum members with older devices and/or slow internet access.

Of course the posts where this all was discussed might not have ever been seen buried so many pages and posts in the past so don't feel bad.

Thank you.

Go to the following post by @Koidream to see how to submit thumbnail pictures.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm noticing a few new posters to this thread. Not intending any shaming I want to say that on this thread (and others that get a lot of photographs attached) we've informally agreed to submit the photos as thumbnails. This prevents browsers from submitting many, many megabytes of pictures already seen with each download or refresh. That really speeds up webpage display times. It has been appreciated by forum members with older devices and/or slow internet access.

Of course the posts where this all was discussed might not have ever been seen buried so many pages and posts in the past so don't feel bad.

Thank you.

Go to the following post by @Koidream to see how to submit thumbnail pictures.

Hi All,
My sincere apologies for upsetting accepted protocols. I have always tried to keep my online images very small, as I know how irritating it can be to get large images posted. The offending items have been suitably thumbnailed. Mea Culpa.

Thanks, Laurie, for drawing attention to her walking narrative.
NYC was such a trooper and in a more difficult season to walk that route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't think of a more picturesque approach to any village along the CF... I've only managed to walk during winter and spring but hoping one day to walk in Aug/Sep so I can see the vineyards in all their glory.

I must agree , while the sudden reveal of Hontanas is excellent as well as the view of Torres del Rio from the Sansol church.

Wow, was it really that long ago? I remember your live posts and how giddy you sometimes sounded to have overcome so many obstacles!

For a good read, frank and honest and joyful, try @nyc’s live posts from her 2019 Sanabrés.

We’ve all lived a thousand and one nights and then some since then.

And, if you’re a caregiver it’s even more so.

But: Life is good!

Buen camino to we all as soon as possible!

View attachment 94805
It took me ages to remember the name for this gable in Spanish...

Bell-gable​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bell gable (Spanish: espadaña, Catalan: espadanya, French: clocher-mur, Italian: campanile a vela) is an architectural element crowning the upper end of the wall of church buildings, usually in lieu of a church tower. It consists of a gable end in stone, with small hollow semi-circular arches where the church bells are placed. It is a characteristic example of the simplicity of Romanesque architecture.
Love the stork nest atop the Bell-gable, it's like a crown!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Valcarlos/Luzaide, view south to France
photo taken October 16, 2012

from Valcarlos,towards France 16.10.2012.jpg

Crossing borders in the Pyrenees

This mountain landscape view is from the municipal albergue in Valcarlos/Luzaide, Spain, towards the facing slope in Ondarolle, France.

Hidden within the foreground trees is the rio Luzaide/ la nive Arnéquy, which since the 17th c Treaty of the Pyrenees serves here as the border between Spain and France.

Last edited:
View attachment 94868

The walk up to Bruma on the Camino Ingles ( 2014 ) before the rerouting. Now, the " new " Camino does not pass here anymore.
It's amazing Sabine, your photo for today could have been taken in Australia. ;) We felt very much at home on the Portuguese and in Galicia walking among the millions of gum trees.

€46,-
Ibaneta, chapel, interior
photo taken 17 October, 2012

Ibaneta, chapel , interior 17.10.2012.jpg

Hidden colors

After a 5 hour climb up from Valcarlos to the 1060 m. Ibaneta pass I peered exhausted into a tiny window on the locked wayside chapel door and "discovered" these hidden glass panes. Their bright colors provided an immediate aesthetic pick-me-up.

Re-energized I could then descend towards Roncesvalles monastery to offer thanks for my journey and to rest my very weary bones.

A small happiness I have is discovering the Camino when I don't expect it. Four years ago in Austria, I was aware that Stams Abbey was not very far away. The Hotel staff said it was walkable, about 10-15 Km, I could then get a train back. I headed off and discovered after a while, that I was walking "Jakobsweg". I wished I had a credencial with me. On another visit, to Malmo in Sweden, I discovered I was on the "Pilgrim Way,
Skane Blekinge". The picture is a chapel inside Stams Abbey.

IMG_20170313_123108243_HDR.jpg

Approaching Portugalete via the East Bank of the river, on a quiet sunny Sunday morning. With just a hint of the Viscaya Bridge in the distance. The locals call it the hanging bridge (Puente Colgante), it is the first of its kind ever to be built, a distinction which earned it a UNESCO World Heritage Site designation. It operates every 8 minutes. May , 2018.
P5060237.JPGIMG_5846.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Approaching Portugalete via the East Bank of the river, on a quiet sunny Sunday morning. With just a hint of the Viscaya Bridge in the distance. The locals call it the hanging bridge (Puente Colgante), it is the first of its kind ever to be built, a distinction which earned it a UNESCO World Heritage Site designation. It operates every 8 minutes. May , 2018.
View attachment 94976View attachment 94977
I did enjoy that bridge, but the walk there from the Guggenheim was not worthy!

Uterga, my boots
photo taken October 22, 2012

Pedestrian portrait 22.10.2012.jpg
Up and down through hell

The path up the infamous Alto de Perdon in October 2012 soon became churning mud. Cold white fog hid any view as alone and frightened I plodded precariously while slowly lifting each heavy mud-covered boot. On the windy summit rain poured down.

Then began the even more hellish descent. Scree and multitudes of tennis-ball size stones covered the treacherous downward muddy path for the next few kms. The rain never ceased.

At dusk outside the Uterga albergue I took this photo for permanent proof of all that mud.

I did enjoy that bridge, but the walk there from the Guggenheim was not worthy!
Sorry you didn’t enjoy your walk there, we did. We were lucky to be walking on the east bank and as we said on a Sunday morning and it was a beautiful day. Our hostel in Bilbao was on the east bank closer to Portugalete, so we just walked out the door, turned right and had a short 10 km stroll along the river. We decided to have a short day’s walk because we wanted to stay in Portugalete and enjoy the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back