• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The author of the blog refers to leaving Cacabelos, going up a hill, at the top of which was a villa framed by trees... he goes on to describe the sculptures, visible after turning a corner. This was before Villafranca del Bierzo. No coordinates as such...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
March 29, 2019 - Pamplona to Puente la Reina - Meditation theme: Love
Looking southwest from the summit of Alto del Perdón about 10 km outside of Pamplona we are treated to a view of our Camino for today. A peaceful trek through farms, vineyards, and olive groves … a little hazy and chilly, but not a cloud in the sky! I am thankful for a 'lovely' day.

IMG_20190329_121911.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The next photo fits in my memory as being shortly after a super albergue where the beds were beds with sheets, and pillow, and a garden, and the local people looked after the smooth operation. The albergue had been the school. It was such a cool refreshing place to be in... I could look up my little notebook...yes, I think I am remembering Pereje...

301autoroute.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm sure this could be a Microsoft screen saver... you know, except for the cemetery in the middle of it :)

View attachment 96415
Oh man, you should be so lucky. The photo of the hill in green everyone here is thinking of (now a vineyard) is considered the most viewed photo in the world. The Wikipedia article on the photo indicated that it sold with the second highest price ever for a photograph. It is an interesting article; at least read the "History" section.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh man, you should be so lucky. The photo of the hill in green everyone here is thinking of (now a vineyard) is considered the most viewed photo in the world. The Wikipedia article on the photo indicated that it sold with the second highest price ever for a photograph. It is an interesting article; at least read the "History" section.
Really, Rick? Sounds like "fake news" to me. 😅

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cizur Menor, shell
photo taken 0ctober 1, 2004

Cizur Menor 10.01.2004.jpg

Seeing a scallop shell hung at the open doorway of the Roncal albergue during my first camino I immediately sensed that pilgrims were welcome to enter.

Life on the camino was much more relaxed in 2004.

Ok, ok... message received... I won't bring up the cows hiding behind buildings anymore!

May the intensity of these flames
always endure

I am not religious in the sense of established religions, but I do get a lot from sitting in quiet churches, looking at religious art, and lighting candles.

I wonder if O Cebreiro still has real candles or whether they have gone electric. In my 20 years on caminos, I have seen the number of churches with real candles shrink dramatically. I understand the “why” of it, but it is simply not the same.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wonder if O Cebreiro still has real candles or whether they have gone electric. In my 20 years on caminos, I have seen the number of churches with real candles shrink dramatically. I understand the “why” of it, but it is simply not the same.
When I was there in 2019, there were still a number of real candles in use. See my post #786 on Page 8 of this thread for a nice photo of the sunlight through the haze of candle smoke.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
March 30, 2019 - Puente la Reina to Estella - Meditation theme: Mercy
Approaching the pueblo of Cirauqui (pop approx. 450), representative of so many small towns that dot El Camino and offer hospitality to pilgrims and receive a benefit from the Camino’s economic stimulus. I, for one, am happy to support them, well the polite ones anyway! We stopped in Cirauqui for refreshments and a rest before walking to Villatuerta for lunch, and then continuing to Estella.

IMG_20190330_102518.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Until I walk through Gernika on the CN, this homage to Picasso's 'Gernika' in Pamplona will have to do. This was taken pre-dawn which turned out to be a fantastic time to wander through parts of the old city without the hordes of people in every photo.

Night_Homage_to_Picasso.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Eunate, stelle
photo take October 22, 2014

Eunate, stelle 22.10.2014.jpg

On the slope just beyond the albergue at Eunate is this enigmatic stelle.

However I've never learned who, when or why re the stelle.
Do you know? If so please tell all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
March 31, 2019 - Estella to Torres del Rio - Meditation theme: Perseverance
A communal dinner at the Albergue Marisol in Torres del Rio. 16 people, 10 different countries ... such is El Camino. By this time, although only 6 days into the Camino, I had decided that in order to truly experience the culture of Spain and El Camino, it would be best for a rookie like me to eat and socialize with other pilgrims … I might learn a few things! I also happened to run into the owner of the albergue, who was training a new hire, and in my elementary Spanish tried to thank him for operating such a nice albergue. His broad smile told me I succeeded.

IMG_20190331_192645.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
April 1, 2019 - Torres del Rio to Logroño - Meditation theme: Charity
One cannot deny the religious presence and aura all along El Camino. There are numerous shrines, churches, monuments, hermitages, monasteries, etc. many dating from the 12th to 16th centuries, and some even earlier! This is seen on the wall of the hermitage of Nuestra Señora del Poyo, just outside Torres del Rio. “Bless the people of Bargota, protect the pilgrims”. Several times did I appreciate having a small albergue chapel, or wayside church to simply rest and meditate.

IMG_20190401_084700_Screenshot.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did some additional travelling around Galicia a few years ago. Travelling on your own is nice but you really appreciate when you strike up a chat with a local person. In Ourense one evening got chatting with Antonio, lovely guy who had actually written a book on cycling the various routes as a bicigrino. Invited me out with his friends the next day for food and drinks, brilliant people. So warm and welcoming and we had a great laugh.

ourense.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
2018-09-14 07.52.46.jpg

We all know where this is.

We all have our own thoughts on it too.

It was a key milestone on my Camino.

Then it wasn't, and then it was again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Praia Estorde
photo take April 2, 2006

Praia de Escorde 02.04.2006..jpg

Mid view is Finisterre; Cape Finisterre is on the far left.

Estorde is the first beach on the camino path linking Corcubion/San Roque to Finisterre; along the sea the path parallels the AC- 445 route.

Crossing the beach barefoot while holding my boots like a child I delighted in the tickle of sand between my toes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
April 2, 2019 - Logroño to Najera - Meditation theme: Hope
I was quite surprised at the quality of the agricultural ‘soil’ in some areas of Navarre and Rioja … mostly stones. I guess that grapevines and olives do well, for we see plenty of them. But I am sure many of you remember some rather treacherous loose stone parts of the CF trails! Foot placement requires a lot of attention! So far, I have only fallen once, and do you think that was in the woods somewhere, or on those slippery loose stones? Nope! I stepped awkwardly off a sidewalk in Pamplona and couldn't regain my balance with 9 extra kilos on my back, and down I went! 😄

IMG_20190402_142424 B.jpg

Last edited:

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Punta de San Roque, boats
photo taken December 9, 2011

Finisterre 09.12.2011 .jpg

Entering Finisterre on the camino path along the beach one chilly December day I happily relaxed in the winter sunshine by these boats to enjoy some local mariscos.
Nearby at the municipal albergue I asked for a bunk and a Fisterrana certificate, after confirming that I had walked from Santiago de Compostela. Indeed, I had!

€83,-
April 3, 2019 - Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada - Meditation theme: Turning the other cheek
I was fascinated by the stories of the miracles associated with the person of Santo Domingo. Especially relevant is the intervention of the Saint in saving the life of a German pilgrim hundreds of years ago. Since then, and in homage to the Saint, there are chicken and rooster images in use all over the town, even on the logo of the local soccer club which shows a rooster standing on a soccer ball! And whenever a statue or a picture of Santo Domingo is displayed, there are usually chickens at his feet.

IMG_20190403_130000_Screenshot.png

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

€46,-
Galicia, sunrise, 2010

Galicia, sunrise, 2010.jpg

Carpe diem!

Watching dawn break wherever I might be is always a joy;
now at 82 it is still a thrill to ponder the limitless possibilities of another day!

May the glory of new morning light lift our spirits and give us hope of better times to come.

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."

Marcus Aurelius,
The Emperor's Handbook, II,IV

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
April 4, 2019 - Santo Domingo to Belorado - Meditation theme: Prayer
I explored a parochial albergue attached to the Church of Santa Maria in Belorado (pictured). The hospitalero there greeted me, and we had a nice conversation. It was he who advised me that to be a hospitalero, one must have completed a Camino. He had completed his Camino 17 years earlier, and he had walked from Lausanne. I was, and I continue to be, impressed by the dedication exhibited by pilgrims ... including everyone who posts on this thread. I tip my hat to you!

IMG_20190404_180518 B.jpg

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back