• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ponte Maceira

photo taken March 29, 2007

Ponte Maceira .jpg

On the Camino Finisterre at Ponte Maceira beneath the old stone bridge the Tambre river moved swiftly; crossing was rather frightening.

Nevertheless it was pleasant to be in the more relaxed countryside where most residents took the time to say Hola, point out the route, and wish Buen Camino to passing pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Iglesia San Roman.jpg

Iglesia San Roman de Tours in Ezkerekotxa. Camino Vasco Interior 2019.
Unfortuntately closed when we walked by but this website gives a wealth of information.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cruz de Ferro - although I am aware of the tradition of carrying a "stone" from your home and leaving it at the Cruz de Ferro, when I saw the size of some of those stones, and the weight they would represent, I had to suspend my belief that all were carried there by pilgrims! :rolleyes: If they were carried by pilgrims, then there are some pilgrims out there with really big problems, and really strong backs!

IMG_20190418_083940.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Olveiroa
Xunta albergue

photos taken March 30, 2007

Olveiroa albergue.jpgOlveiroa albergue, dorm.jpg

Rain continued on the Camino Finisterre.
Soaked and muddy I arrived at the Xunta albergue in Olveiroa; the kind hospitalera remembered me.

Here adjacent stone buildings have been handsomely repurposed; dining/commons room and dorms are separated by a path. Bright plaid blankets cover bunks; tiled bathrooms have hot water and good showers. Bliss!

Pilgrims ate together in the commons room. The hospitalera cooked/served bowls of tasty stew, slices of country bread with local honey, pitchers of red wine, plus yogurt and fruit. Delicious!

...How wonderful it was that wet March night to be clean, well fed, and comfortable!

No, you do not have to adjust your computer. What you are seeing is a photo of a printing plate for chocolate wrappers, taken at the Museo del Chocolate in Astorga. Imagine that! A museum about chocolate, complete with free samples! Now all we need to complete the experience is a museum about the red wines of Rioja! 😋

IMG_20190416_183800_1.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now all we need to complete the experience is a museum about the red wines of Rioja! 😋
You are in luck, Bill.
Much closer at hand to Astorga is Monforte de Lemos, with its museum about the long history of viniculture in the Ribiera Sacra. So when you get to Ponferrada, take a left and walk the Invierno...that'll take you there.

Life's full of choices ... this time on the Camino Portuguese, May 2017. Simple really. Big one or little one?

Attachments

• P1160518.JPG
    P1160518.JPG
    836.3 KB · Views: 29
The choice of accommodation in Tui was simple. The beautiful girls at Ideas Peregrinas Hostel in Tui were welcoming, charming ... and ran a fantastic hostel. They were amused by the extent of my travels and my own "teddy bear" passport. I hope they are faring well in these testing times.

Attachments

• P11704881.JPG
    P11704881.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Foncebadon
Monte Irago albergue
blizzard

photo taken March 5, 2009

Foncebadon 05.03.2009.jpg

I took this photo through the icy Monte Irago albergue window as proof positive of the 2009 blizzard while waiting two days for clearer skies when the nearby CF landscape was obliterated by deep snow

Earlier from Rabanal de Camino seven pilgrims and I had set off. Snow began to fall; pretty at first, then stinging and very cold with an incessant wind.

Our narrow camino path grew slippery; we moved to the broader but snow-covered route LE-142. After 6 km in white-out conditions we 8 arrived at the tiny village of Foncebadon which during my first Camino had been in ruin.

Luckily a private albergue, Monte Irago, had been created and was OPEN.
With great relief we could and did stay in this warm and friendly spot.

....Now in 2021 I still remember this storm.
Mais où sont les neiges d’anten?/Where are the snows of yesteryear?”

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The photo today shows a platform with a wide view. It was what greeted us after a climb through a slightly hilly path through trees. I was waiting to see how our French friend would manage with his home made trailer - no problem at all!

P4120145.JPG

The great Castillo de los Templarios in Ponferrada on the French way.

Do not miss the archives and the Templar library with hand drawn and gilded manuscripts. Some from as far back as 900 AD and some more modern beautiful Salvador Dali illustrations for a Don Quixote folio. You have to plan to hit opening times if you aren't staying in Ponferrada.

DSCN1726.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ruitelan
Pequeno Potala refugio

photo taken March 10, 2009

Ruitelan, sign.jpg

Miracles still occur

Near Ruitelan on the CF a car tooted; the driver was Carlos, the hospitalero at the nearby Pequeno Potala refugio. "Margaret!" he said smiling "I heard that you were coming back!" What a happy greeting!

Staying at the refugio was always a pleasure. All is very clean and tidy, Buddhist and eccumenical; on unpainted wooden walls hang a Christian cross, pictures of the Dalai Lama and a card hand-lettered Shalom, the Hebrew salutation meaning peace.

We were six drop-in pilgrims yet the ambiance was serene; Carlos is a multi-tasking host who puts guests at ease.
Questions were answered, advice offered and jitters quieted while simultaneously from a few jars, bottles, cans and boxes a modern day miracle of "the loaves and fishes" was produced to feed all with true caritas.

...Long might it be so.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sometimes I just get lost ... here amongst all the shells. Feels a little like "Where's Wally". Then a very kind woman selling shells gifted me one that fitted a walker of my size. Imagine how exciting it was to have my own shell. Then another decision: Santiago or Fatima? Just joking, I really knew I was making my way to Santiago de Compostela.

Attachments

• Shell, shells & more shells.jpg
    Shell, shells & more shells.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • Santiago or Fatima which way.JPG
    Santiago or Fatima which way.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Between Mansilla de las Mulas and Leon I noticed these attractive motifs on a wall surrounding a house. I thought they were very pleasing to the eye.

View attachment 103592
Did you ever find out what the symbols meant? Interesting observation

El Camino, just after Santibanez de Valdeiglesias, on the way to Astorga. I have several photos of El Camino, but for some inexplicable reason, this is one of those that appeals to me very much. I presume that many of you also have those 'special photos' that also speak to your soul. Let's go find some more!

View attachment 102896

I remember that stretch well. A little further on you get to the beautiful donativo food stop "La casa de los Dioses".
My "special photo" of the actual path is this one, near Rabé de las Calzadas, on the way between Burgos and Hornillos del Camino, taken on June 1st, 2017

IMG_0875.jpeg

Sorry. Breaking my own rules. Three today.
What remains of the venerable and very special VII C Santa Maria de Lara, on the Camino San Olav between Santo Domingo de Silos to Burgos. It was Good Friday, alas, so I would not be able to go inside, for which I was very sorry. It is a treasure trove in there.
IMG_1347.JPG20160325_082150.jpg20160325_082217.jpg

I just learned this, which I found quite touching:
aunque en el siglo X mantenía cierta autonomía como abadía femenina, cuando recibió una donación de tierras de la condesa Muma Donna y sus hijos; esta referencia documental lleva a clasificarla habitualmente como monasterio femenino visigodo, para lo que no hay argumentos
(from: http://www.caminodesanolav.es/es/contenido/?iddoc=43)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
O Cebreiro
Santa Maria Real do Camino, interior

photo taken March 11, 2009, 1pm

O Cebreiro, church, interior.jpg

Traces of a medieval miracle

Hoisting my backpack I began a solitary walk up to O Cebreiro following the old N VI highway and not the camino.

Arriving after 5 hours at this tiny mountain hamlet exhausted but jubilant I entered the small church, Santa Maria Real do Camino.

As always the interior was immaculate. The magnificent silver chalice gleamed; this gift from royalty commemorates a medieval miracle of faith when a parishioner "experienced" the transformation of wine and bread.

Overcome with emotion I sat at the back of the nave and silently offered thanks for being here once again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
One photo the other day showed a Roman path, and two today will fill out that section, CP, 2013. That's my story, true or not! Often, I have no clear memory of each step of the way, but the order of the photos is my prompt.
P4130148.JPGP4130147.JPG

Not quite ready to leave Santa Maria de Lara.
What remains is a fragment of what was.
It is hard not to try to imagine what it would have looked like.
View attachment 103718
VN,
Imagining like that is a constant delight. In fact that is how Prosper Mérimée and Viollet le Duc "began" the French Monuments Historiques.

Last edited:
Imagining like that is a constant delight. In fact that is how Prosper Mérimée and Viollet le Duc "began" the French Monuments Historiques.
Thank you, @mspath. You never fail to open doors into something hitherto unknown!

I found this, by way of introduction:

(Beware: it is a fascinating site... ;))

Thank you, @mspath. You never fail to open doors into something hitherto unknown!

I found this, by way of introduction:

(Beware: it is a fascinating site... ;))
VN,
Yes it is. For more re the V-l-D and PM association see the resumé of this publication by Françoise Bercé.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
O Cebreiro
stele

photo taken March 11, 2009, 5 pm

O Cebreiro, Elias Valinas Sampedro stele.jpg

This stele commemorates the visionary work of local priest Don Elias Valiñas Sampiedro who mid-20th c. intently studied Galician history thus helping recreate a modern camino within a network of supporting albergues. Additionally with yellow paint begged from the Road Department he painted the first arrows to mark pilgrim paths; now such yellow arrows in contemporary minds have become iconic.

That March night as stars began to shine above the mountains and hamlet which Valiñas Sampiedro had so deeply loved, all was quiet and peaceful; most day-trippers had left.

Nevertheless I wondered then and continue to ponder now what might he have felt if he had seen the current hordes of casual tourists tramping carelessly along this very special age-old path?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My photos from my 2018 Francés came to an end a couple of days ago, and now that pilgrims are walking the Camino again, I think that should also mark the end of my contributions to this thread.

It's been a tremendous boon to visit here every day and add my recollections to our collective memory of Caminos made in the past, for which I will always be grateful.

For that, I thank you all.

I've got a Portugués in the memory banks to sustain me too, but I think it's time to start thinking of a future Camino, and the English route may well be next.

See you on the Way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
See you on the Way
Alas not me. Not for at least another year.
Thank you for your contributions, John, and buen camino!

The Church of San Martin Obispo in Cubillejo de Lara (the next village along towards Burgos from Santa Maria de Lara on the San Olav) has a rather grandiose Renaissance entry, for such a (now) small place.
IMG_1350.JPG

Las Médulas
gold mine, interior

photo taken November 26, 2014

interior Las Médulas.jpg

Las Médulas a UNESCO World Heritage Site near Ponferrada, off the CF but on the Invierno, is a magnificent working gold mine dating from Roman times.

Continual curves plus added lights frame the visitors' path for an underground tunnel tour.

Although then trepidacious in retrospect I am glad I followed that path and took this shot as a permanent memento.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last photo for a week, I will be keeping a low profile this week. Sorry to be missing daily photos, but hey! who knows what I might see closer to home!
Note for this: Chorizo al Infierno, Tui. Everyone in the municipal albergue booked in for the meal in this cafe. Very expensive. € 5 a head! The owner/cocinero came to the table with his pièce de résistance, aflame and all! That was on the house.

P4140158 Chorizo al Infierno, Tui.JPG

Saint Jean Pied de Port,
rue de La Citadelle

photo taken October 14, 2014

rue de La Citadelle.jpg

On the Camino Frances in SJPdP looking west through the Port Saint Jacques towards rue de La Citadelle; nearest in view is # 55 the municipal albergue where multitudes of pilgrims have slept.

From 2004 to 2015 I was very excited to return each year; entering the red door always began a new adventure.

The Osborne bull. A little bit of history.

I know that one the forumrules is that we can't discuss the running of the bulls because it always ends in pros and cons and snappy remarks/ tears.
But I'm pretty confident of us all here that we will refrain from commenting and just read the link and view the pic.

Picture taken on the Vasco Interior 2019.
On the way to Miranda de Ebro.

Symbol.jpg

Last edited:
The Osborne bull. A little bit of history.

I know that one of the forumrules are that we can't discuss the running of the bulls because it always ends in pros and cons and snappy remarks/ tears.
But I'm pretty confident of us all here that we will refrain from commenting and just read the link and view the pic.

Picture taken on the Vsco Interior 2019.
On the way to Miranda de Ebro.

View attachment 103949

Wordless but truly iconic; that black image "tells" the story.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ponferrada - while the Semana Santa hubbub and processional preparations were going on outside, the inside of Nuestra Senora de la Encina was peaceful and calm ... just a few souls with their thoughts and meditations.

IMG_20190418_194109.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Theatregal,
That is quite a view; what a great place to grow and eat a salad.
It was a very windy day and I remember thinking it must be a challenge sometimes to garden here. Later I read a wonderful article about sand dune agriculture and the coastal vegetable / fruit gardens of Spain and Portugal. Wished I'd saved it because I can't find it now!

€149,-

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last edited:

€60,-
nearing Espinal
photo taken October 17, 2014

Here comes the sun

Nearing Espinal 17.10.2014 .jpg

Following the CF path downhill towards Espinal was easy and my confidence returned while walking toward that glorious sunlight although the 5 hour slog up the Valcarlos route the day before to Roncesvalles had been exhausting.

Puente La Reina - Gares
bridge

photo taken February 11, 2007

Puente La Reina-Gares .jpg

Optical illusion

On a cloudy winter day the still water of the Arga River reflected the double arches of the famous 11th c. bridge thus creating this optical illusion of a bridge on circular supports.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are in luck, Bill.
Much closer at hand to Astorga is Monforte de Lemos, with its museum about the long history of viniculture in the Ribiera Sacra. So when you get to Ponferrada, take a left and walk the Invierno...that'll take you there.
And remember, the local tipple is tinto Mencía. Bar staff are really impressed when you ask for it. So will you be when you taste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back