• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time we walked the camino, we left booking a flight to the UK to the last minute (or week), only to discover there were no flights from Santiago to the UK. Hasty google search revealed the fact that A Coruña has an international airport, with cheap flights to Heathrow. The train from Santiago takes about half an hour and it turns out A Coruña is a happening city, very Galician and very foodie. A good place to wind down and re-orientate yourself post-camino. Plus you can do a walk along the cliffs and check out the start of the Inglés. This is sitting at a street café under the spectacular galerías overlooking the harbour.

Lunch in A Coruña.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked one stage of the Inglés; I wanted to start in A Coruña, and rather than the church of Santiago, begin at the statue of King Breogán and the Tower of Hercules (Farum Brigantium) to honor my heritage. The Tower is the best preserved ancient Roman lighthouse and the only one still in use.

B33EE4C2-A1F6-4160-93C7-7F8AB49FB039.jpeg

While waiting for the lighthouse to open, so I could climb 234 steps to try to see Ireland, I walked around the outdoor statues and seaside. Suddenly the clouds rolled in and the sun was hidden behind them and the lighthouse, while a flock of birds took flight. Not a murmuration, but still pretty cool and I hoped a good omen for my walk that day

1F10FE6B-524D-4B3F-A8C1-8450EE7D3A6C.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked one stage of the Inglés; I wanted to start in A Coruña, and rather than the church of Santiago, begin at the statue of King Breogán and the Tower of Hercules (Farum Brigantium) to honor my heritage. The Tower is the best preserved ancient Roman lighthouse and the only one still in use.

View attachment 111621

While waiting for the lighthouse to open, so I could climb 234 steps to try to see Ireland, I walked around the outdoor statues and seaside. Suddenly the clouds rolled in and the sun was hidden behind them and the lighthouse, while a flock of birds took flight. Not a murmuration, but still pretty cool and I hoped a good omen for my walk that day

View attachment 111620
You are such a hoot! "could climb 234 steps to try to see Ireland,":D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not a murmuration, but still pretty cool and I hoped a good omen for my walk that day
Very cool photo!
I loved the walk from A Coruña, and the only thing I'd change would be to spend the night there before walking. It was more of a happening little city than I knew. Here's the quay.
View media item 8091

the only thing I'd change would be to spend the night there before walking.
I spent several nights, it was my “base camp” for walking the first stage of the Inglés as well as a non-Camino walk to San Andres de Teixido (not from A Coruña 😱 I took a bus to my starting point). I ate too much while I was there…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Las Médulas
gold mine

photos taken November 26, 2014

Las Médulas.jpg

Near Ponferrada, off the CF but on the Camino Invierno, Las Médulas, a magnificent working gold mine dating from Roman times, is a
UNESCO World Heritage site.
This unique area is marked by distinctive red-orange cones, channels, and caves.

Las Médulas, cone detail.jpg

From a viewing platform I could look directly onto one huge cone. Within that cone was another viewing platform accessed by
following a visitor path /tunnel.

interior Las Médulas.jpg

Although, then trepidacious, in retrospect I am glad I followed the lights in the curved tunnel and took this interior shot as a permanent memento...Ouf!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I spent several nights, it was my “base camp” for walking the first stage of the Inglés as well as a non-Camino walk to San Andres de Teixido (not from A Coruña 😱 I took a bus to my starting point). I ate too much while I was there
It sounds like a very good idea. Even the eating.
San Andres de Teixido? Wonderful.

Near Ponferrada, off the CF but on the Camino Invierno, Las Médulas, a magnificent working gold mine dating from Roman times,
It is an amazing place. And surprisingly beautiful, given that in Roman times, it was their version of a toxic superfund site. Given the chance, time and nature can heal a lot of wounds.
20190604_115447.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I forget the name of this place, but one of you will know. It's on the Inglés between Bruma and Sigüiero. I wish I knew the story here, but a local obviously decided that what their village needed was a home-made theme park with dinosaurs and flying tractors. 21 Oct 2018.

DSC04974.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I forget the name of this place, but one of you will know. It's on the Inglés between Bruma and Sigüiero. I wish I knew the story here, but a local obviously decided that what their village needed was a home-made theme park with dinosaurs and flying tractors. 21 Oct 2018.

View attachment 111692
It is located by the Cafe Bar Uzal, near O'Castro, south of Meson do Vento. Home of flying tractors and large St James's. They are on trailers and can be moved around. I think that they use them, or used to, at local festivals. Sept 2018.

IMG_20180929_093100440_HDR.jpgIMG_20180929_093038301.jpgIMG_20180929_095403725_HDR.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Palmela, Portugal
Pousada/castle complex/1
passage

photo taken December 29, 2011

December 2011 after finishing the CF I walked to Finisterre, per usual, and then down to Tui/Valenca where my husband met me and we slowly drove south to Setubal and Pamela near the northern end of the coastal Rota Vicentina.

Palmela castle, passage.jpg

The Palmela castle/Pousada complex spans a hilltop; the many structures span historic time.
Included are a medieval church and cloisters from a convent constructed within the earlier castle plus contemporary building.

To visit the castle you need not stay at the Pousada; nevertheless after 56 nights in simple albergues staying at the Pousada was a luxurious treat.

...to be continued

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One of the highlights of my walk in 2016 from Santo Domingo de Silos to Covarrubias (on the GR82, not on the Lana) was the view over the dramatic landscape from the ridge above SDdS. It was breathtaking looking east into the rising sun, and I rarely use that word. I recommend this route more than I can express.
IMG_1309.JPG

It turns out that the mesa in the photo has a ruined (and locally important castle on its summit, the Castillo de San Carlos, or Fortaleza de Carazo.

If I had known, I'd have been temped to take an extra night in SDdS for a day trip to find my way up there.

Home of flying tractors
How? Did? I? Miss?! The? Flying tractors?!?
:oops: 😩
(Hyperbolic punctuation for laughs. I probably saw it but don't recall. I was of course way more besotted with the peregrina-eating dinosaur.)

Last edited:
One of the highlights of my walk in 2016 from Santo Domingo de Silos to Covarrubias (on the GR82, not on the Lana) was the view over the dramatic landscape from the ridge above SDdS. It was breathtaking looking east into the rising sun, and I rarely use that word. I recommend this route more than I can express.
View attachment 111728

It turns out that the mesa in the photo has a ruined (and locally important castle on its summit, the Castillo de San Carlos, or Fortaleza de Carazo.

If I had known, I'd have been temped to take an extra night in SDdS for a day trip to find my way up there.

(Hyperbolic punctuation for laughs. I probably saw it but don't recall. I was of course way more besotted with the peregrina-eating dinosaur.)
Unbeknown to the Dinosaur, whilst it is eating the Peregrina, The tractor is eating it's tail! June 2018.

IMG_20180608_095500183_HDR.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Unbeknown to the Dinosaur, whilst it is eating the Peregrina, The tractor is eating it's tail! June 2018.
😂

I went back and looked at my photos, because this was gnawing at me.
The dino had was in a different place and had his tail in the woodpile.
And I had walked right past the flying tractors.
IMG_0043.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 111728

"The Flying Tractors" - I like it, maybe a post-industrial constructivist circus troupe 'Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the amazing Flying Tractors!'.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Palmela, Portugal
Pousada/castle complex/2

photos taken December 29, 2011

Palmela castle.jpg

Within the Pousada/castle complex the castle had been occupied by Moors. Reconquered in the 12th c. it was given to the Military Order of Santiago/the Templars and in 1423 became their headquarters.

Wandering through the complex I was surprised to find this church dedicated to Santiago attributed to the Templars. This 2011 view of the church interior features a rather incongruous video player.

Palmela castle, church interior.jpg

However this simple scallop shell on a column base located in the old cloister is more evocative.

Palmela castle, shell.jpg

Communal recognition of the symbolic scallop shell links all pilgrims. Thus in 2011 I offered silent thanks for the ways that had been travelled while hoping for strength and resilience in the time still to come.

....As I post this now those thoughts remain ever true.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Two well-dressed (and probably well-heeled) locals in the Plaza de Platerías, Santiago, 23 Oct 2018. I love looking out of the camino and into the life going on around all the time. For most Spanish people, most of the time, the camino is very low on the horizon. These two had been to mass and were on their way, I don't know, home? A restaurant for lunch? Life goes on.

DSC05022.JPG

Cirauqui
Iglesia de San Román
door

photo taken October 22, 2015

Cirauqui.jpg

Alone in Cirauqui on the CF as I was re-admiring the south door of the Iglesia de San Román two local tots on tricycles and their mom also stopped to look. Mom asked "What makes this door of the church special?" As I pointed to the distinctive poly-globed arch the children smiled and their mother kindly snapped this photo as a memento for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last day in Santiago, sitting in the café on the corner of Plaza Galicia, waiting for the airport bus, 19 Oct 2015. The locals are in there for their morning coffee (and chupito in some cases), and the waiters are dutiful and responsive. We are a little despondent that it is over and wondering if it will happen again. It already has, twice, but I am very interested in finding out for myself if that café is still in business.

DSC00418 (2).JPG

Last day in Santiago, sitting in the café on the corner of Plaza Galicia, waiting for the airport bus, 19 Oct 2015. The locals are in there for their morning coffee (and chupito in some cases), and the waiters are dutiful and responsive. We are a little despondent that it is over and wondering if it will happen again. It already has, twice, but I am very interested in finding out for myself if that café is still in business.

View attachment 111901

Oh ! Café Derby. A monument. Unfortunately it closed last year ( read it in La Voz de Galicia ) and here is another article.

BUT : this recent one : Hope for the future!

Well..let us wait and see..if the soul of the place will not be destroyed too much...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh ! Café Derby. A monument. Unfortunately it closed last year ( read it in La Voz de Galicia ) and here is another article.

BUT : this recent one : Hope for the future!

Well..let us wait and see..if the soul of the place will not be destroyed too much...
Just read the article. I had no idea it was so iconic. As they say, places have to evolve to survive and I hope some of its character carries over into its new function.

Just read the article. I had no idea it was so iconic. As they say, places have to evolve to survive and I hope some of its character carries over into its new function.

I always follow these kind of items with great interest. These iconic and timeless places tend to dissapear too often lately ( Covid did not help either of course ).
Like this one in Brussels.
When the " big players " get involved...( well , better get of my soapbox before I get too political ).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Negreira
dawn

photo taken March 30, 2007

Negreira, dawn.jpg

Dawn outside the Negreira albergue was very rosy and not a sign of good weather to come.

Indeed it rained all day as I splashed towards Olveiroa. The wet trail meandered through many tiny hamlets and muddy pastures.
Those 33km were exhausting since my comfort level is 22-25km; it was almost as tiring as the first time up to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos in 2004!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walking out of Santiago en route to Finisterra and Muxía, 31 May 2015, we stopped, looked around, and there were the towers of the cathedral in the distance. My first camino, the Via de la Plata, eight weeks without wheels. We were never sure we'd make it, but we did. This is my second favourite view of Santiago cathedral. Number one is when we crossed the road on the final day of the Sanabrés and saw the towers nestling under the hills across the old cobbled road.

DSCN1762 (2).JPG

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Yes, that's definitely a special moment. It took me completely by surprise.
View attachment 111951
That's the one. We sat on a little wayside cross to eat our empanadas, walked across the road, turned the corner, and bang, there it was. I suspect we could construct a gallery of shots like these.

DSC04818.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lagos, Portugal
Fishermen's Trail
Praia Camilo/Camilo Beach

photo taken January 2012

Lagos, Praia Camilo.jpg

Lagos is on the Trilho dos Pescadores/
Fishermen's Trail which leads west to Sagres on the Rota Vicentina. This shot of the Praia Camilo/Camilo Beach is across picturesque cliffs towards central Lagos

June 7, 2019
When @Theatregal was exploring the Templar castle, I might have been here, a few days ahead of her on the Invierno, on the way to Quiroga.
This 180 panoramic photo distorts the image but takes in everything, looking back in her direction, at the river below, and ahead to the Castillo de Torrenovaes. It was a superb day of walking. with sun and occasional downpours (a little after this I had to take refuge under the viaduct in Soldon).
20190607_152901.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When @Theatregal was exploring the Templar castle, I might have been here, a few days ahead of her on the Invierno, on the way to Quiroga.
This 180 panoramic photo distorts the image but takes in everything, looking back in her direction, at the river below, and ahead to the Castillo de Torrenovaes. It was a superb day of walking. with sun and occasional downpours (a little after this I had to take refuge under the viaduct in Soldon).
If I had to choose a favourite Invierno day, this stretch from A Rua to Quiroga would be it! It's the day that is most vivid in my thoughts.

Invierno 9 Oct 2018. Between Chantada and Rodeiro. We expected the café in Peñasillas to be defunct. It was open. We expected the walk up the Alto to be a gruelling slog, it's a hill, not a mountain. When we got to Rodeiro, the restaurants were shut till 9pm so we ordered a pizza in a bar expecting some micro-waved, de-frosted horror, it was home-made, delicious and the size of a wheel. Sometimes, things are like that.

Attachments

• DSC04748.JPG
    DSC04748.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A bird view of Muxía from the top of the hill on May 10, 2019.
I stayed 2 days here, the first day was rainy, the second a wonderful sunny day, Thank God. The last stop of my 2nd CF --- a beautiful ending.

fullsizeoutput_5f6.jpeg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Estella
Calle San Nicolas
San Pedro de la Rúa

photo taken October 24, 2014

Estella, cloister, rock.jpg

A cloister arch frames the huge mass of rock against which San Pedro de la Rúa, an historic monastery/ church, is located. Thus this looming view resembles a frightening image in a bad dream.

€46,-
east of Los Arcos
photo taken October 26, 2015

east of Los Arcos.jpg

From the horizon this fellow walked towards me, wearing a beret and bearing two packs. I said "Hola"; he graciously greeted me and explained that during summer he had walked from Germany to Saint Jean Pied de Port and on to Santiago. Now he was walking towards southern France and ultimately Rome.

After sitting on a rock while sharing a few cookies as well as several camino confidences we shook hands and wished each other Godspeed, Ultreia and Adieu.

..We then moved separately towards our different destinations, but strangers no more.

Last edited:

€46,-
It has been months since I've been on these Pic-a-day threads but this morning Google sent me a reminder of where I checked in two years ago today in Monzón on my Camino Catalan. I believe I got the last room available in town (a suite). A bit different from a bunk at an albergue. They may have thought they were making a profit off me but I'm sure they changed their minds after I was finished with the breakfast buffet.

IMG_20191028_175809-01.jpeg

€46,-
Two for the price of one, we're off an a short camping trip (very excited, the first time we've been allowed out of a 5 km radius since July). 30 Oct 2018, the flower market in Santiago and I bet she drives a very hard bargain. And the (no longer used) fireplace in the albergue on Betanzos on the Inglés, a few days earlier. See you all soon. Keep the pics coming.
DSC05100.JPGDSC04942.JPG

towards Logroño
path

photo taken October 24, 2011

Path towards Logrono.jpg

Beneath a late autumn sky lit by dappled sunlight this gentle woodland CF path paralleling route N-111 would soon enter busy urban Logroño.

Two for the price of one, we're off an a short camping trip (very excited, the first time we've been allowed out of a 5 km radius since July). 30 Oct 2018, the flower market in Santiago and I bet she drives a very hard bargain. And the (no longer used) fireplace in the albergue on Betanzos on the Inglés, a few days earlier. See you all soon. Keep the pics coming.
View attachment 112170View attachment 112171
So happy for you Dick, hope you have a wonderful camping trip. Enjoy your freedom.
Buen Camino.

€46,-
The basilica of Santa Maria la Mayor is one of the jewels in the crown of Galician Gothic architecture. It is an example of Spanish Elizabethan Gothic. Built in the sixteenth century, by order of the Guild of fishermen. The architects of the building were Joao Noble and Cornelius de Holanda. It was granted the status of small basilica in 1962, by Pope John XXIII. Pontevedra CP May 2019.

MVIMG_20190519_195406069.jpg

View attachment 112170View attachment 112171
Enjoy the freedom, when you get used to the idea...

Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral
dome

photo taken December 9, 2012

Santiago, cathedral, interior.jpg

The day before I had walked into Santiago de Compostela and up the hill to the cathedral thus completing my 8th Camino Frances!
Later when revisiting the cathedral I sat alone in the dim afternoon light for a long time lost in thought offering silent thanks for all that had been which enabled these precious moments.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 112247

Leaving Hornillos del Camino. CF 2011.
I think that is where I found a poster that really took my fancy - am afraid my photos are pretty inaccessible at the moment. The poster showed two big boots... I could of course be misremembering. Isn't it fortunate that in our present day world we have this type of excuse from public figures? 😁

Anyway, when I settle back into finding my photos on one of my thumb drives, I will post the poster! It will be a while before I walk a camino again, but I am not complaining. I love seeing all the choices members make to post their favourite or sequenced photos. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back