Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 7.0

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Doughnut NZ

From Aotearoa New Zealand
Past OR future Camino
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
In the late 80s we visited Barcelona as part of a driving tour of Portugal and Spain. We wandered around alone at the Sagrada Familia construction site. I think it was free. Before our 2015 Camino Francés we stopped in Barcelona again. On entering I wept; such beauty. We visited again in 2019 and I started my Camino Catalan from Barcelona.
A05000-VER.jpg

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Villatuerta
private albergue

photo taken October 20, 2011

Villatuerta, albergue, hammocks .jpg

The loggia of the Casa Magica, a private albergue in Villatuerta on the CF, was strung with colorful hammocks for shady siestas out of the sun; these might have been very appealing during summer heat, but were not quite as inviting in the October chill.

Phoenix

Generic member
Past OR future Camino
1638441155300.jpeg

Viana do Castelo --> Vila Praia de Âncora
CP, Oct 2019

Everytime I see a thread asking about the CP coastal vs interior routes, I know the answer for me. The interior of Portugal is rich with places/things to experience, yet as someone who lives above 7,100 ft (2,160 meters) elevation, I will take every opportunity to walk by the water, to feel the ocean breeze, and to hear nature's mood through the sounds of the waves.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
Past OR future Camino
Light from the warm colored west windows of the Sagrada Familia wash over a wall and a font. The inscription reads In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit in Catalan. The giant clam shells composing this font and several others were a gift from the Philippines.
A05500-HOR.jpg

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
south of Ages, bridge
photo taken November 01, 2011

Ages, south bridge.jpg

In Ages on the CF at the south side of Iglesia de Santa Eulalia a farming path/dirt road begins. It will cross the rio Vena via this bridge.

bridge, south of Ages, 01.11.2011.jpg

The dirt road continues to Zalduendo on
Estrada Logrono Vigo / route N 120 where an old camino path parallel to that highway goes west to Burgos.

When I followed this old camino path so did pelotons of cyclists. Those bikers upon seeing my slow walking pace and gray hair often stopped to kindly ask if I needed anything.
All I needed was more pep!!

Last edited:
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles
View attachment 114313

Zaragoza. Camino del Ebro.2013. I might be repeating myself?
Won't be long before I used all the pictures from my archive. I seem to have lots of pictures left of food but hey how many pics can you post of breakfasts and pintxos! ;)
Every last one of them! They will intersperse with other contributions, no problem!

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Puente La Reina - Gares
Convento del Crucifijio
open door

photo taken February 11, 2007

Puente La Reina, doors.jpg

In Puente La Reina - Gares on the CF this open door of the Convento del Crucifijio frames the view of the closed door of the Iglesia del Crucifijo across the Calle del Crucifijio.

The Calle del Crucifijo is named for the church which is in turn named for a famous crucifix displayed inside. A private school, the Colegio de los Padres Reparadores, occupies the Convento

Camino Socks

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Food. Pintxo of morcilla and egg at the Taberna Blai in Beasain.

What an exquisite choice of pintxos they have at this place.
@VNwalking and I arrived there after quite ( another ) a rainy day on the Vasco Interior. She already tracked down the friendly hospitalero of the albergue and so we waited till the hospi was ready to take us in.

We found two chairs at the windowsill and had some bites. There was a lovely vibe of local families at Blai.
The next morning our breakfast there was very good also.

Taberna Blai.jpg

Last edited:
Camino Cups
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Rowena

Past OR future Camino
View attachment 114331

@Rowena Ponte de Lima from a different vantage point ("new" bridge with old bridge in the distance), just a few weeks before your photo was taken.

CP, 9 Oct 2019
@Phoenix, I took a photo from that spot too. It must have rained in between your photo and mine, because there was plenty of water flowing over those exposed structures in the river.

9833E445-9A29-4E96-8828-1737EA48CAF1.png

Crossing the old bridge the next morning, October 23, 2019
Ponte de Lima on the CP

B7DB9372-3381-4554-8E12-6EF039F3B807.png

Phoenix

Generic member
Past OR future Camino
1638624471067.jpeg

Vila Praia de Âncora
CP, 10 Oct 2019

EDIT: Many pilgrims pass through this town on the way to Caminha (5-6 km farther). It is the kind of spot many people in the US would travel to several hours by car for vacation, yet many pilgrims blow past it because a guide book/app may state that Caminha is the end of the stage. It's a very nice place to chill for the evening.

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Hi all,
I have not participated on this thread for quite some time, but I came across this photo I'd taken near Sahagan and thought it interesting. I wasn't sure if it was a repair of loose stonework, or if a larger window had been removed and replaced with a smaller one. This is an example of one of the rather quirky, yet charming aspects of the Caminos imo.
Screenshot_20211203-203324~2.png
P.S. I have caught up with viewing all the photos on this page. I do enjoy all of the submissions as, like myself, they make us recall many of our wonderful memories walking these pilgrimage paths.

Last edited:

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Perfection at the end of a delicious meal in the lovely garden of Casa Felisa in Santiago. August 7, 2014. Had a meal here 2 days in a row because it was so good!

View attachment 114395 View attachment 114394

The garden is one of the nicest spots in Santiago!
Had one of those memorable lunches there . Arriving at 3 pm and leaving at 5.30 pm...
Thanks for sharing this memory...

Camino Socks
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Chenahusky

Happy Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
CFSJPP to SDC 2016
CIng x 2 2018
CPort. Tui May 2019
CF Ponf. June 2019
Perfection at the end of a delicious meal in the lovely garden of Casa Felisa in Santiago. August 7, 2014. Had a meal here 2 days in a row because it was so good!

If I am not mistaken the pictures show the Hotel Costa Vella, no.17 Rua da Porta da Pena. Casa Felisa is on the same street no.5. Pictures attached. I eat there every time I am in SDC.

IMG_20160630_132235861.jpg IMG_20190604_131050865.jpg IMG_20190523_135541337_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken the pictures show the Hotel Costa Vella, no.17 Rua da Porta da Pena. Casa Felisa is on the same street no.5. Pictures attached. I eat there every time I am in SDC.
It could be! I couldn't remember the name of the place so I googled "garden restaurant in santiago de compostela" and one of the entries that came up was Casa Felisa with a photo showing the sculpture in my photo.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
west of Itero de Vega
landscape

photo taken February 28, 2007

west of Itero de Vega.JPG

The sky was grey and heavy with rain while this ocher landscape on the CF was thoroughly wet. Puddles were everywhere. For pondering the weather was perfect; the cold drip of rainwater on my face kept me focused.

Camino Cups
Camino Way Markers
Past OR future Camino
Spain 2013 (Roncesvalles to Santago de Compostela)
France 2015 (Le Puy to Roncesvalles)
Portugal 2017 (Porto to Santiago de Compostela)

View attachment 114399 View attachment 114400 View attachment 114401
You are not mistaken Chenahusky. The magnificent gardens of the Hotel Costa Vella are the refuge of pilgrims and locals alike. We have enjoyed stays at that Hotel at the conclusion of 2 Caminos - 2013 and 2017. The owners are wonderful as is their hospitality.

Attachments

• Hotel Costa Vella garden sculpture.jpg
    Hotel Costa Vella garden sculpture.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Hotel Costa Vella garden2.jpg
    Hotel Costa Vella garden2.jpg
    892.2 KB · Views: 8

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral
interior

photo taken December 3, 2011

Santiago de Compostela, cathedral, interior.jpg

Evening mass was a simple service. Perhaps 15 pilgrims attended; we all sat/stood close to the new altar. In the nave were a few other worshipers. A solitary nun sang; her voice rose pure and clear. The places from which we pilgrims had begun our caminos were read.
All was timeless.

Camino Cups
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Phoenix

Generic member
Past OR future Camino
Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral
interior

photo taken December 3, 2011

View attachment 114465

Evening mass was a simple service. Perhaps 15 pilgrims attended; we all sat/stood close to the new altar. In the nave were a few other worshipers. A solitary nun sang; her voice rose pure and clear. The places from which we pilgrims had begun our caminos were read.
All was timeless.
Of the many good folks who've walked Camino(s), I think I would most love to sit and listen to your Camino stories/experiences.

Past OR future Camino
Spain 2013 (Roncesvalles to Santago de Compostela)
France 2015 (Le Puy to Roncesvalles)
Portugal 2017 (Porto to Santiago de Compostela)
Check out how this name evolved from antiquity here.
Thank you mspath - I've checked the link out and for the benefit of those who may have been as ignorant as me, here is the explanation. Despite its name, it is a beautiful little village.
There is no relationship between the English word condom and this town. The toponym Condom comes from the Gaulish words condate and magos combined into Condatomagos, which means "market or field, of the confluence".

Past OR future Camino
To make it easier for me to choose some photos to post tomorrow I will show pictures of places I visited on day one of my Camino Catalan. Most were closed due to my early start but I touched them as I passed. I had taken their pictures earlier on my trip and I'll be posting those.

Today is the Basilica de Santa Maria del Pi, which I didn't visit on my walk out of the city. Its style is Catalan Gothic.
IMG_20191007_123934-01.jpeg

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
To make it easier for me to choose some photos to post tomorrow I will show pictures of places I visited on day one of my Camino Catalan. Most were closed due to my early start but I touched them as I passed. I had taken their pictures earlier on my trip and I'll be posting those.

Today is the Basilica de Santa Maria del Pi, which I didn't visit on my walk out of the city. Its style is Catalan Gothic.
View attachment 114481

My favourite church in Barcelona!

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads