• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tiebas
pilgrims

photo taken January 30, 2009

Tiebas pilgrims.jpg

These two French pilgrims entered the one Tiebas cafe at lunchtime; they had begun the Aragonese at Somport. We three happily shared snowstorm stories while enjoying hot Arroz Cubano.

Seeking a change of terrain during my 5th camino I had left the CF at Cizor Menor
on NA 6000, walked roughly 14km to Campanas, then on NA121 SE to Muruarte de Reta to join the Camino Aragonese near Tiebas. I planned to continue on the Aragonese to Eunate and then rejoin the CF at Puente La Reina.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Conques - one of the prettiest villages (and there are many) on route Saint Jacques de Compostelle, France
Loved Conques. I had a special birthday dinner there.

Also Saint-Cirq-Lapopie on the Célé Valley variant of the Le Puy route. 2 May 2010. Gosh, time to do that again!

Saint-Cirq-Lapopie.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
San Bol.jpg

San Bol in the distance. CF 2011. My first Camino , with a very simple camera ( focus could be better ). I had a basic cellphone ( no picture function ) in those years. Paycomputers were still available in most albergues and bars.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember this? any info would be great, I took the photo somewhere before Estella.
I hoped someone else with a good memory would step in, but so far, no takers. I am wondering if it is in the church in Torres del Rio? I have one of the same, somewhere, but cannot track it right now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Canal de Castilla, just outside Medina del Rioseco (CdeM), where one of its branches begins, early in the morning before the sun burnt off the mist. A potentially magnificent piece of engineering that fell victim to procrastination and politicking - just as it was opened, a railway was built so it was barely used and never made much money. Further north, the Francés passes by it just before Fromísta

DSC04452.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hoped someone else with a good memory would step in, but so far, no takers. I am wondering if it is in the church in Torres del Rio? I have one of the same, somewhere, but cannot track it right now.
The photo was taken about an hour's walk before Estella, I remember it was on what seemed to resemble an old concrete bus shelter like we had/have, it could have been remnants of an old church or something. I also remember seeing this type of wall frieze on a few occasions on the north route, they are lovely and interesting though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The photo was taken about an hour's walk before Estella, I remember it was on what seemed to resemble an old concrete bus shelter like we had/have, it could have been remnants of an old church or something. I also remember seeing this type of wall frieze on a few occasions on the north route, they are lovely and interesting though.
Is this near the Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de la Azuncion in Villatuerta or further west near the Ermita de San Miguel ?

Was this painting exposed to the elements? How large was that "old concrete bus shelter" ?

Last edited:
This video by B K Lee shows his walk from from Puente de Reina to Estella in real time, almost five hours. Maybe you can scroll ahead some and find the time the painting appears in the video and tell us. That might help. If you click the title instead of the arrow in the thumbnail you should be able to get a larger video and other YouTube features.

YouTube video id: rWH79tB7hPo

€60,-
I may have taken the photo as there was a stork's nest atop the gable wall... I hear @mspath cranking up her memories! Help is at hand!

Is this near the Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de la Azuncion in Villatuerta or further west near the Ermita de San Miguel ?

Was this painting exposed to the elements? How large was that "old concrete bus shelter" ?

It probably was in that village, I would've stopped for a coffee hence the hour it took to walk to Estella, it's most probably to do with the iglesia. I'm trying to find it on google earth but to no avail, I came across it on the path anyway. That's why I should edit photos with the relevant information 😊

It probably was in that village, I would've stopped for a coffee hence the hour it took to walk to Estella, it's most probably to do with the iglesia. I'm trying to find it on google earth but to no avail, I came across it on the path anyway. That's why I should edit photos with the relevant information 😊
Try this link on Google maps fror the
Ermita de San Miguel Arcángel slightly west of Villatuerta but on the CF.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vEduGuEiWdJnnANd8

When I last passed by here in 2014 I did not go to the back of the site which appeared to be a bit too "lost" for me alone at 75.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I saw it not too long ago, posted in this thread. A few months... It was not in the open countryside, and there was a stork's nest above it. I sound so sure... but I am not!

Try this link on Google maps fror the
Ermita de San Miguel Arcángel slightly west of Villatuerta but on the CF.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vEduGuEiWdJnnANd8

When I last passed by here in 2014 I did not go to the back of the site which appeared to be a bit too "lost" for me alone at 75.
I found it, it is in the Iglesia de nuestra señora de la Asunción in Villatuerta, but it's definitely not the original as you can see from the photo

Attachments

• 75300F04-5777-493F-A31D-72D39B1219F0.png
    75300F04-5777-493F-A31D-72D39B1219F0.png
    963.1 KB · Views: 28
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all for helping to find that elusive "bus stop" 😂
Great news! Can you show us the " bus stop" ? Please do cite the publication in which you found it.

Ouf! Now we can all go to sleep pleased that you know where it is.

Last edited:
I am not convinced... but it will not prevent me from sleeping! When I boot up my old laptop, if it still has the photos, I will find it. Please go to sleep, though. It could be some time before that happens! I can visualise an A shaped wall, and am pretty sure it has a stork's nest atop it. also, to the left as you look at it, maybe a lamp post...There are two fresco type panels... that resemble what was in the OP's photo.
Then again, people have been hung for less - memories can be fickle! 😁

I am not convinced... but it will not prevent me from sleeping! When I boot up my old laptop, if it still has the photos, I will find it. Please go to sleep, though. It could be some time before that happens! I can visualise an A shaped wall, and am pretty sure it has a stork's nest atop it. also, to the left as you look at it, maybe a lamp post...There are two fresco type panels... that resemble what was in the OP's photo.
Then again, people have been hung for less - memories can be fickle! 😁
Yes, homework finished for the night!!

view towards Hornillos del Camino
photo taken November 10, 2013

towards Hornillos del Camino.jpg

"There's a long, long trail..."

In Hornillos del Camino November 10, 2013, German, French, Belgian, Italian, Anzac and British pilgrims with me as the token American met by chance yet informally represented the major belligerent nations of WW1.

At dawn many of us would individually and silently commemorate the Armistice which ended that 4 year slaughter in 1918 at 11am
on the 11th day of the 11th month.

Yet Armistice eve as the sun set we sat together and quietly sang from memory "There's a long, long trail...".
With these WW1 lyrics of hope and longing we as newly met camino friends emotionally spanned a century.

May we never forget those who served.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I actually meant Australia, this is where I live. My usual technique is to tap heavily as I walk along in the hope the snake will feel the vibrations and scarper before I get there. Usually works.
Yes, I (Anne) actually walk behind Pat as he does exactly what you describe trying to deter the snakes. 🤣

San Esteban de Cos.jpg

San Esteban de Cos . Abegondo.
Camino Ingles.

I find so much more joy in seeing these kind of small churches than visiting Burgos cathedral for instance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyone look backward and take a picture of the Alto de Padron? Neither did I. This view of it was taken on my way to Pamplona from Puente la Reina. Pretty close to when the (cold) rain started.

IMG_20191110_104938-01.jpeg

I've already submitted pictures from the top showing the puddles and snow. Very little snow but snow nonetheless. I stayed long enough to take a group photo of some Korean pilgrims and when they left another group of Koreans came up for their photo. And then another group. Then I left fast so I could get warm and dry in Pamplona.

November 10, 2019

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
near Campanas
haystack

photo taken January 22, 2008

near Campanas.jpg

These two fellow pilgrims by a giant haystack having a friendly chat were probably worried that we three might be lost; in fact I was trying to find a resto. Eventually I did. In Campanas the Casa Teré offered a great menu del dia then and still does.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
November 11, 2019, two years ago today:
IMG_20191111_175614-01.jpeg

A rather weird Camino photo but I got an email from Peg that said since she couldn't give her traditional Veterans Day chocolate chip cookies to me I should try to find some myself. I did at this shop in Pamplona near the ayuntamiento, three different kinds. I sent her this picture of the shop and another of the cookies.

The tradition started as a joke based on this reproduction tin of ours that once held chips:
PXL_20211111_131014259-01.jpeg

€46,-
WWI Armistice Day.
Remembrance Day for some.
No matter how awful, it turned out to be far from the war to end all wars.
And already we are forgetting the ones after that.
May we stop enjoying hatred so much.
May we begin to remember we're all just fellow pilgrims crammed into a too-small albergue that's a small blue dot in space, and find a way to get along.
IMG_4406.JPG

Villarente
two bridges

photo taken November 19, 2013

Villarente.jpg

At Villarente on the CF east of Leon this dedicated pedestrian-only bridge replaced walking on the medieval bridge in frightening competition with on-coming traffic.
What a relief it was to gently stroll along this elegant wooden way without fearing being hit or run over!

Towards Neda.jpg

Towards Neda ( the albergue in the distance, did not stay there ). Camino Ingles 2014.

I am so aware of being a passenger on this bus... but, without passengers, where would be the focus? So, gladly, I am very happy to be able to walk along, metaphorically, with you all. Who knows, there might be another camino in it for me. If not, I will be no poorer. Every day is part of the camino we each have discovered and absorbed. The images shared are a gift for everyone.
One image, from my restricted library, till next time! Near the bullring, Pamplona.
1636705908011.jpeg

Attachments

• E835F504-99EA-4E4A-94F7-BD5AC8849EDF.jpeg
    E835F504-99EA-4E4A-94F7-BD5AC8849EDF.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 21
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jimmy, great to see you posting photos. That is what this thread is about. I am trying to catch them, on my laptop. Like myself, it is not in its first youth! I will try soon on my iPad...
There is a request that when posting photos, we select thumbnail. Maybe when you post your next photo you can try selecting thumbnail for a better result for viewers.

edit: maybe you did indeed use thumbnail, I will see that when I go to the iPad!

just saw them, lovely photos!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love shopping at little tiendas in the villages. This is El Barullo. A tienda and bar/cafe in Ambasmetas. The owners couldn't be more friendly and they do Gluten free food as well! CF May 2019. I haven't posted for a few days, so extra pictures.

IMG_20190526_114709500.jpgIMG_20190526_115032304_HDR.jpgIMG_20190526_115040379.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tiebas
pilgrims

photo taken January 30, 2009

View attachment 112919

These two French pilgrims entered the one Tiebas cafe at lunchtime; they had begun the Aragonese at Somport. We three happily shared snowstorm stories while enjoying hot Arroz Cubano.

Seeking a change of terrain during my 5th camino I had left the CF at Cizor Menor
on NA 6000, walked roughly 14km to Campanas, then on NA121 SE to Muruarte de Reta to join the Camino Aragonese near Tiebas. I planned to continue on the Aragonese to Eunate and then rejoin the CF at Puente La Reina.
You always amaze me with your ability to wonder from trail to trail on any of the Camino's. You really get around. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
August 2, 2013. A familiar early morning sound of tapping metal tip poles, brought me to the window of my room at the Casa Rural Chao San Martin in Castro on the Primitivo. I love seeing pilgrims on their way for the day, knowing I'm about to join them.

View attachment 113149
Hope you don't mind, but I saw your photo and instantly remembered this (which I think I've posted before). It's from the bathroom of the albergue in Castra on the Primitivo, and should anyone ask, I have a very small, light, camera.

DSC00267.JPG

near Balugaēs, Portugal
Casas do Rio
breakfast

photo taken December 2013

Casas do Rio.jpg

2 km from Balugaēs on the camino towards Ponte de Lima is the quite splendid Casas do Rio.

Their private room was very comfortable and the copious meals most delicious; the overall ambiance was as luxurious as most pousadas.

Last edited:
The La Rioja section is a highlight for me of the Frances. Lush countryside, vineyards and views to the snow capped peaks (still some in May) of the Parque Nacional sierra de cebollera, over 2,000 metres at their highest.

La rioja2.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope to have much, much more to offer in this ongoing thread by August 2022. After a few years of consideration and after watching all of the videos by Efrén González, I'm closer than ever to buying a mini drone to take with me next summer on the Meseta, Primitivo, Ingles, CP (from Viana do Castelo), and from Muxia to Cabo Finisterre.

€60,-
Ponte de Lima, Portugal
riverside market
dried codfish

photo taken December 2013

cod, Ponte de Lima.jpg

Such fish as these would be soaked, cooked and served as the savory Portugese national dish bacalhau.

In his History of Salt Cod Alexander Lee notes that such dried fish " was especially popular in the Iberian peninsula, where its name bacalhau (in Portuguese) or bacalao (in Spanish) was taken from the Dutch kabeljauw, itself derived – somewhat awkwardly – from the French word for fresh cod (cabaillaud)"

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
10245534_10152104169543042_8771298156694332550_n.jpg

For my first Camino Ingles I flew to Santander and from there I took the Feve train via Oviedo to Ferrol. Following for a big part the Camino del Norte.
The traintrip is more than 11 hours and the train seems to stop every five minutes, but it is slow travelling at its best!

The old station from Novellana. When I did an internetsearch I noticed it recently got refurbished as an albergue. Looks stunning!

Last edited:
Loved Conques. I had a special birthday dinner there.

Also Saint-Cirq-Lapopie on the Célé Valley variant of the Le Puy route. 2 May 2010. Gosh, time to do that again!

View attachment 112920
Fabulous photo Kanga. Yes Saint Cirq Lapopie is certainly another of France's most beautiful villages, sitting high above the river with sensational panoramas. We entered along the artistically carved towpath beside the river and weir/lock, before a steep climb up into the gorgeous little village.

Attachments

• St Cirq Lapopie 2.jpg
    St Cirq Lapopie 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • St Cirq Lapopie towpath.jpg
    St Cirq Lapopie towpath.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • St Cirq Lapopie village.jpg
    St Cirq Lapopie village.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Canal de Castilla, just outside Medina del Rioseco (CdeM), where one of its branches begins, early in the morning before the sun burnt off the mist. A potentially magnificent piece of engineering that fell victim to procrastination and politicking - just as it was opened, a railway was built so it was barely used and never made much money. Further north, the Francés passes by it just before Fromísta

View attachment 112954
The same canal at Fromista

Attachments

• Fromista canal 2.jpg
    Fromista canal 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Fromista canal.jpg
    Fromista canal.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
I saw this inscription on the portico of a nearby church on the way to the market in Santiago - and truth be told found it much more fascinating than all the dead fish. San Fiz de Solvio, Santiago, 2015
Legend says this was the first church in Santiago. Certainly, it's old. Seriously old. It had already been there for a while when it was rebuilt in the 12th C.
IMG_8945.JPG

Viana do Castelo, Portugal
hospital ship Gil Eannes

photo taken December 17, 2014

ship Gil Eannes.jpg

More on codfishing

This Portuguese codfishermen's hospital ship, the Gil Eannes, often sailed the North Atlantic cod route to Newfoundland. Now restored and moored in Viana do Castelo on the Portuguese coastal camino the ship's name and history described here span centuries.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Napoleon way August 2016. One of the very first pictures from my very first Camino.
You have completed some very interesting walks Reija. We crossed the Pyrenees in June 2015 after walking from Le Puy to SJPDP and those wild horses really intimidated a female pilgrim ... possibly because they were protective of the foal. A challenging day's walk but we were thrilled that the Napoleon route was open. Spectacular vistas.

Attachments

• Pyrenees horses 2.jpg
    Pyrenees horses 2.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Pyrenees horses.jpg
    Pyrenees horses.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back