• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have completed some very interesting walks Reija. We crossed the Pyrenees in June 2015 after walking from Le Puy to SJPDP and those wild horses really intimidated a female pilgrim ... possibly because they were protective of the foal. A challenging day's walk but we were thrilled that the Napoleon route was open. Spectacular vistas.
Wow, the horses totally ignored us. If they had approached us, I guess I would also have been intimidated!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A well earned rest after a steep climb in the Pyrenees. I had a quiet moment of reflection under the watchful eye of the Vierge d'Orrison (Virgin of Orrison), protector of all pilgrims.

Attachments

• Pyrenees rest stop.jpg
    Pyrenees rest stop.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 305
  • Pyrenees Virgin of Orrison.jpg
    Pyrenees Virgin of Orrison.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1636979976950.jpeg

Up, up to Orisson...
CF, Sept 2018

When I took this photo, I didn't know that I would spend an evening in Zubiri and the day following walking to Pamplona with the couple from Texas on the right. He, a retired physician and she, a retired RN, were two of the kindest, most pure-hearted people I've met on any Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I almost didn't climb this hill. How glad I am that laziness did not win the day!
Zabaldika, Camino Frances, Don't miss it!
View attachment 113341
You are far from being the only one! I used to watch the lowlanders skirt around the field far below, and it just showed me: what is for you does not pass you by. Roughly 75% of those who walk to Pamplona and beyond keep their eyes fixed on either the river route, or the second ascent, reached from the recreation area. Those who realise there is something to see... well, they find it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances, alternate route
from La Virgen del Camino

photo taken November 13, 2011

alternate route from Virgin del Camino.jpg

Opposite the church in La Virgen del Camino one can choose to either continue on the main CF which parallels the N120 or follow this peaceful alternate camino going slightly SW towards Villar de Mazarife.

Escaping the busy highway noise and suburban sprawl was pleasant; however this alternate mud path was very slick from incessant rain. Furthermore from time to time hunters' shots could be heard, often too close for comfort!!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are far from being the only one! I used to watch the lowlanders skirt around the field far below, and it just showed me: what is for you does not pass you by. Roughly 75% of those who walk to Pamplona and beyond keep their eyes fixed on either the river route, or the second ascent, reached from the recreation area. Those who realise there is something to see... well, they find it!
And if you ask, you get to ring the bell.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This picture goes well in this situation when most of us are just dreaming of Camino and the future is quite well hidden in the thick fog. The late fall fog settling in over the old pilgrim path (Oberschwäbischer Jakobsweg) in Ulm Germany. This section of Jakobsweg is near where I live and it is a very popular place for taking walks. When the weather is good you can see all the way to the Alps. I have taken this picture in 2012, almost four years before I headed for my first Camino in Spain.

Attachments

• 621409_4542285329112_2040137656_o.jpg
    621409_4542285329112_2040137656_o.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 32
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After Saint-Sauveur-en-Rue on the Le Puy Camino, coming out of a long stretch of cold remote forest to this lovely view. September 18, 2017

View attachment 113412

More and more I'm tempted to walk the Le Puy route... I visited lots of places on this Camino as a " regular tourist " but time to put on my walkingshoes!

€83,-
I don't know why people keep talking about all the people after Sarria. I left Sarria at 0700hrs in the morning and didn't see anyone! CF June 2016.

View attachment 113409
For me, the crowds were dependent on the time of year and the time of day I set out after Sarria. In August 2019 I tried leaving late 8:00a…wrong. They caught me. 😳 This is just one half, the other half are already in front of me.
2BC6389A-07D0-4405-9678-2A4B8676BDCC.jpeg
It was only after I went back to starting my day earlier around 5:30a that I was able to quiet the chatter. I don’t recall this big of a crowd in September of 2013. I can’t speak for May of 2016 as I skipped this section. It’s kind of like trying to predict the weather. 🤷🏻‍♀️
3EB3DD1C-3E59-4C61-A5DE-750B49B99137.jpeg

Last edited:
Marvao, Portugal
castle

photo taken January 2013

Marvao.jpg

This 8th c. castle is in Marvao, a picturesque mountain town in the Alentejo region of Portugal, where my husband and I happily celebrated New Years 2013. For future pilgrims this site will be on the Caminho da Raia which is presently being developed from Mértola to Alpalhão as noted here. Bom caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some of the signage one encounters is priceless.... it livens up dull days!

This was a corker, encountered near Périgueux.

View attachment 113385
Yes, there are some interesting signs along the way. This one between Azofra & Santo Domingo April 2013

Attachments

• P4291219.JPG
    P4291219.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 25

€83,-
More and more I'm tempted to walk the Le Puy route... I visited lots of places on this Camino as a " regular tourist " but time to put on my walkingshoes!
Sabine ... be tempted ... then go. It's a stunning walk. It may not have as many walkers as the Camino Frances (on some days we saw no others) but the countryside and spectacular villages are worth it. And ... despite what many may say about the "arrogant French", we could not speak more highly of their efforts to engage us with their sometimes surprisingly good English and make us feel very welcome. Another beautiful village ... Espalion

Attachments

• Espalion 1.jpg
    Espalion 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • Espalion.jpg
    Espalion.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 21
Sabine ... be tempted ... then go. It's a stunning walk. It may not have as many walkers as the Camino Frances (on some days we saw no others) but the countryside and spectacular villages are worth it.

On the contrary : I prefer quieter Caminos.
The Le Puy route seems ideal for me to walk in " parts "s eeing I live relatively close by.
High speed train from Brussels to a central point in France and walk different parts in different years.

Sleepy Murias de Rechivaldo, Casa las Aguedas. September, 2014.
View attachment 113432
Sleepy yes ... but certainly peaceful. We spent the night of 13 May 2013 at this Albergue las Aguedas but what I remember most were the tiny village's brightly coloured doors.

Attachments

• Murias Albergue las Aguedas.jpg
    Murias Albergue las Aguedas.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Murias de Rechivaldo blue door.jpg
    Murias de Rechivaldo blue door.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • Murias de Rechivaldo green door.jpg
    Murias de Rechivaldo green door.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the contrary : I prefer quieter Caminos.
The Le Puy route seems ideal for me to walk in " parts "s eeing I live relatively close by.
High speed train from Brussels to a central point in France and walk different parts in different years.
Lucky you ... I wish we lived a lot closer

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

€83,-

€83,-
Setting out from Nájera.
CF, Oct 2016

Isn't it wonderful how sometimes the landscape along the way speaks to all of us.
I took a similar photo on a gray morning with a storm on its way
Lovely to see your beautiful photos! I didn't see this wonderful view, as I left Nájera pre-dawn to escape the jam-packed municipal albergue after a sleepless night - just needed to get out in the air!

Guchan, France
photo taken January 2012

Guchan mountain magic.jpg

Guchan on the French GR105 is a handsome mountain village in the Hautes-Pyrenees.

The GR105 crosses the Valley of the river Aure between Lortet and Ouridissetou Pass/Col d'Urdiceto on the border where it connects with
Spanish caminos leading towards Santiago.

Last edited:

€83,-
Funny how a " Bar Plaza " seems so much more exotic than our local Belgian " Café 't Pleintje "
Haha. To you maybe. ;)
Exotic is clearly subjective. The Dutch is far more exotic - at least with the Spanish, I know what it means.

When you grow up in a place where 1850 is old, here's what jaw-droppingly exotic looked like to me at the start of my first camino, in Leon, 2014. I was hooked before I'd walked a single step.
Leon (58).JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Toulouse, France
Basilique Saint-Sernin
detail

photo taken January 6, 2012

Basilique Saint-Sernin, detail.jpg

This slightly salacious carving adorns the Basilique Saint-Sernin, Toulouse,
located almost midway on the 800 km
Via Tolosana/Voie d'Arles aka the French GR653 which connects Arles to the Col du Somport.

€83,-
Garden.jpg

Albergue El Camino in Boadilla del Camino. This was in 2013.
I chose a private room that night.

View attachment 113565

Albergue El Camino in Boadilla del Camino. This was in 2013.
I chose a private room that night.

Ah! The enchanted garden! It was fairly newly done up in 2006. I could be wrong, but my memory of the albergue space was that we had sheets on the beds...one of the markers of luxury for pilgrims with slippy silk sleeping bag liners.

Ah! The enchanted garden! It was fairly newly done up in 2006. I could be wrong, but my memory of the albergue space was that we had sheets on the beds...one of the markers of luxury for pilgrims with slippy silk sleeping bag liners.
Kirkie,
Indeed. Individual beds not bunks are another marker of true luxury!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Cordes sur Ciel, France
photo taken January 2012

Cordes sur Ciel .jpg

Cordes-sur-Ciel is a fortified town dating from 1222 in the Tarn department. The GR46 passes through Cordes on route to Toulouse.

After shooting this view I enjoyed a delicious/expensive lunch in an upmarket resto, the only place open that cold winter Sunday. I wore camino winter gear. As I stood to leave the owner's teenage daughter rushed to my side asking if I were a pilgrim. I nodded yes and we two sat down by their blazing fireplace to plot/plan together her future camino .

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€46,-
Amazing how fast it can transform from friendly underfoot to sticky and annoyingly adhesive. 😂
Another warm and sunny day [🤣]:
View attachment 113618

Ah! I remember such a day end of March 2013 somewhere on the Meseta. The wind was blowing right through me and there was also some hail to make it even nicer.I was grumbling to myself. Loudly! No one could hear me anyway seeing all sensible people kept inside... ;)
I finally found Casa Barrunta in San Nicolas del Real Camino where I warmed up with some coffee. Meanwhile calling my mum at home in Belgium who said it was an exceptionally warm day and she was enjoying the sun in the garden.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€83,-
?? Am I missing something? Different views of same building?
Exactly. I wrote that almost word for word (I had a the) but it was written under the pictures so you must have missed it. I zoomed in some with my camera for the first shot and then went wide for the second.

Edit: Maybe it was the other way around. I've lost the photos' EXIF data that would tell me (it's a long story).

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bragança, Portugal
castle

photo taken late December 2012

Bragança.jpg

This massive feudal castle complex built 1187 belonged to the Dukes of Bragança, the last Portuguese royal family.

Located In the NE of Portugal the historic city of Bragança is on the Camino Zamorano Portugués (Via de la Plata Portugués) which spans 282km from Zamora to Santiago as noted here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome, everyone!
Continuing our daily dose of camino magic.
Some of us are already walking, while others of us are still long from being able to put our shoes on an actual camino.
Until we can all walk in person, please join us in the fun of sharing a single daily photographic memory of the camino. It's been a real joy to see the camino through so many eyes!
(Please post thumbnails, so people with slow connections can still see the thread. Gracias! 😊 )

Somewhere between Miranda de Ebro and Pancorbo on the Via de Bayona.
I loved the poppies and the silent drama of the crushed wheat plants.
View attachment 110678
I love this photo. I am drawn to shoot monochromatic scenes with textures, where ever I find them. The greens are delicious and the tracks draw you in.

A long hard day. Rabanal to Molinaseca, rain all day, low cloud, right knee falling apart. A cheerful , young German peregrino to talk to from Manjarin, made it easier. Her bright red poncho a little beacon. El Acebo CF June 2016.

IMG_20160617_101116721_HDR.jpg

This stretch into Ponferrada nearly did me in mentally. Coming from Rabinal I kept walking through Molinaseca, and was just fine until the tarmac started to get to me. First thing in the morning on a previous camino this stretch seemed to have taken no time at all, but now it was taking eons.
And I had no beacon to keep me going, just legs acting like kids whining in in singsong from the backseat on a long road trip.🤣
We got there eventually, of course.
IMG_8152.JPG

1637493474358.jpeg

Navarrete: so close yet so far away.
CF, Mar 2014

EDIT A comparison of the same photo: uncropped (above) vs cropped (below). Although I like the broad expanse of the uncropped photo, the cropped version is more intimate and detailed, IMO.

1637502059387.jpeg

Last edited:
In @Chenahusky's and @Rowena's pictures of the approach to Santo Domingo I don't see the little building that I had in my picture taken earlier than theirs. No problem there, I have pictures of other little buildings. The problem here is I'm not sure where this building is, somewhere near Los Arcos?
D10500-HOR.jpg

View attachment 113679

Navarrete: so close yet so far away.
CF, Mar 2014

EDIT A comparison of the same photo: uncropped (above) vs cropped (below). Although I like the broad expanse of the uncropped photo, the cropped version is more intimate and detailed, IMO.

View attachment 113682

I agree, @Phoenix. In the original photo I think that the highway off to the left draws the eye away from the pilgrim. I like that he has become the focus.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Torreira, Portugal
Aveiro Lagoon

photo taken December 2011

Torreira, Portugal .jpg

Torreira is located on the coastal strip that separates the broad Ria d'Aveiro aka the Aveiro Lagoon from the sea .
This misty view was shot near the Pousada da Ria on route N327 which parallels the calm waters of the lagoon from São Jacinto in the south to Furadouro in the north. Porto is 40 km. further north of Furadouro.

Beasain to Zegama.jpg

Between Beasain and Zegama. Around Idiazabal is my guess... ;) .
Well maintained roads in Pais Vasco and no busy traffic!

Camino Vasco Interior 2019.

Well maintained roads in Pais Vasco and no busy traffic!
And the sun had come out!! 😊
Pins, all given to me except the red and white one, which I bought in the Burgos municpal albergue. I'm not a pin kind of person, but I must say I like each one of these, a lot. They come with memories.

Attachments

• 20190517_071218.jpg
    20190517_071218.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
I love this church in Santiago, San Pelayo de Antealtares - part of the wonderful monastery of the same name. It's a real refuge from crowds, pipers etc in the adjacent squares at busier times of the year. I feel the more oval design of these baroque churches adds a more human dimension (Bernini's church of St Andrea in Rome being another fine example - https://www.arttrav.com/rome/bernini-sant-andrea-al-quirinale/)
I spent a lovely time listening to the chanting at what i believe what a service for Maronite Christians. Felt i was transported to the holy land. If i may add two photos as the detailing on the wooden alters was remarkable.
Sdc.jpg
sdc1.jpg

A well-earned lunch at Portomarin at a hostelry recommended by a local. With a view ‘sans pareil’. Zamburina selected in honour of Laurie R. who recommended them.

View attachment 113690View attachment 113689
Looks like O Mirador. We both ate and stayed there in 2015 when they offered lodging. I don't remember seeing the Portomarin sign though.
Q26000-HOR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back