• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3806345B-5C57-473C-B7FE-33E205303F17.jpeg Thanks Rick! You are quite correct. I have a fondness for ‘miradors’ at the best of times. Here is a further array of bagpipes from the cute local craft historical museum in Melide.

The Church of the Assumption, Viloria de Rioja, near Belorado. CF June 2016. I love the mixed architecture of this church. The central nave is 10th cent. with additions from the 16th and 17th cent. Some Romanesque, or even earlier. I think that it is fun.

IMG_20160605_091644210.jpgIMG_20160605_091532178_HDR.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
São Jacinto, Portugal
Bairro dos Pescadores

photo taken December 2011

Sao Jacinto,.jpg

Simple one-storey cottages in traditional blue and white can be seen on some streets in the Bairro dos Pescadores/Fishermen's Neighborhood in São Jacinto.

São Jacinto is located on the southern end of the coastal strip that separates the broad Ria d'Aveiro aka the Aveiro Lagoon, where the fishermen fish, from the sea.

Route N327 which parallels the calm waters of the lagoon begins here in São Jacinto, and runs to Furadouro in the north. Porto is 40 km. further north of Furadouro.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
leaving Hontanas
fog
photo taken November 10, 2014

Leaving Hontanas.jpg

I left Hontanas walking into this cold fog-hidden void. It may have been frosty and impossible to see clearly but at least the mud was frozen!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
View attachment 113565

Albergue El Camino in Boadilla del Camino. This was in 2013.
I chose a private room that night.

After a hot, exhausting 30km stretch from Hontanas we arrived at Albergue El Camino in Boadilla del Camino to be told they were full. We didn't have the energy to go further. Not a problem! "Sit down, have an ice cream in the garden and we'll see what we can do" the staff said. And they did ... set us up with mattresses on the floor in an adjoining room and after a fabulous dinner we slept soundly. About 8 others came after us and no one was turned away. Definitely one of our favourite albergues - May 5 2013. At the time they were talking of building another hostel/hotel next door. Don't know if that eventuated.

Attachments

• Boadilla albergue beds.jpg
    Boadilla albergue beds.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 18
  • Boadilla albergue garden sculputres.JPG
    Boadilla albergue garden sculputres.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Attachments

• Acerbo milking time.jpg
    Acerbo milking time.jpg
    954.5 KB · Views: 23

Attachments

• Torres del Rio.jpg
    Torres del Rio.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the way down to Molinaseca, some of the path is interesting.
View attachment 113819
I recognise that as the spot where two miners from Southern Spain came jauntily down, smoking all the while, after their hearty breakfast - which we had copied, except for the liquid gold they ended it off with! They were talking loudly, going at a fast pace, happy as the day is long. A lovely memory, thanks!

After a hot, exhausting 30km stretch from Hontanas we arrived at Albergue El Camino in Boadilla del Camino to be told they were full. We didn't have the energy to go further. Not a problem! "Sit down, have an ice cream in the garden and we'll see what we can do" the staff said. And they did ... set us up with mattresses on the floor in an adjoining room and after a fabulous dinner we slept soundly. About 8 others came after us and no one was turned away. Definitely one of our favourite albergues - May 5 2013. At the time they were talking of building another hostel/hotel next door. Don't know if that eventuated.
.... I hiked past there in late October last year and am pleased to report that the family have built a great hotel next door with bar, comedor, garden and rooms. The Albergue was open too! I too was so well received in about 2012.

1637754798618.jpeg

Old vs new. Castillo Templario de Ponferrada.
Can you imagine going about your day in the city with such an ancient reminder of history across the street? Just one example of how a North American POV is recalibrated by the walk across Spain.

CF, Oct 2016

As I picked this picture to show I was wondering what to say about it; other than that it shows a spot off the Camino Francés before Ages I have no other information. Then I had the idea to do a Google Lens search. The photo shows the Basilica de San Gregorio Ostiense.
D06700-HOR.jpg

@Bronte DownUnder, the dog in your Acerbo picture reminds me of our dog that we left behind for 12 weeks. We thought he would be so happy to see us but instead he held a grudge for a week.

Rowena I think that little village is Torres del Rio about 1km past Sansol. We stayed there 25 April 2013.
I agree. It is a photo taken from Sansol. GPS information in the jpg would indicate the location you were at when the picture was taken, not the subject of the picture.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lagos, Portugal
photos taken January 2012

Lagos.jpg

This shot is in central downtown Lagos, a major seaside city in SW Portugal on the Atlantic Ocean.
In Lagos if you turn right ie. west at any beach such as the Praia Camilo

Lagos, Praia Camilo.jpg

you can follow the informal Trilho dos Pescadores/Fishermen's Trail which leads to the Rota Vicentina going up the west coast.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
.... I hiked past there in late October last year and am pleased to report that the family have built a great hotel next door with bar, comedor, garden and rooms. The Albergue was open too! I too was so well received in about 2012.

Great to hear Filly that they are still providing the same great service. I suspect the hotel is a little more luxurious.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
An Italian peregrino was walking with two beautiful companions, who were enjoying the walk as much as the rest of us. Just past Boadilla they encountered something much more interesting than the open road. Both dogs are herding breeds, and they were transfixed. I once had a Border Collie in my life, so it was fun to watch.
IMG_7748.JPG

An Italian peregrino was walking with two beautiful companions, who were enjoying the walk as much as the rest of us. Just past Boadilla they encountered something much more interesting than the open road. Both dogs are herding breeds, and they were transfixed. I once had a Border Collie in my life, so it was fun to watch.
View attachment 113867
Hi. Are you actually walking the el Camino now?

€46,-
Hi. Are you actually walking the el Camino now?
Hi Sherry. The photos in this thread are usually taken from past Caminos. I saw you asking a question, and see you joined less than an hour ago. Welcome. Vacajoe gave you a good hint about checking answers to your questions. All the best, and whenever, Buen Camino!

I just came across this detail from an exhibition we popped into, somewhere on the Portugues from Oporto. I can almost still smell the atmosphere outside, there was a plaza... but I have no idea of where. Maybe if I follow Jeff Crawley's steps I can find it! (No! As it is a detail from a painting, maybe google didn't get a pass into the exhibition!). I have always loved portraits. My collection of postcards of same was vast, to use with the children I taught, for a variety of contexts...

20170713_171446.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just came across this detail from an exhibition we popped into, somewhere on the Portugues from Oporto. I can almost still smell the atmosphere outside, there was a plaza... but I have no idea of where. Maybe if I follow Jeff Crawley's steps I can find it! (No! As it is a detail from a painting, maybe google didn't get a pass into the exhibition!). I have always loved portraits. My collection of postcards of same was vast, to use with the children I taught, for a variety of contexts...

View attachment 113870
Kirkie,
Perhaps this woman is by José Malhoa.
...more later.

Kirkie,
Perhaps this woman is by José Malhoa.
...more later.
Thank you so much. As I have said, my photos suffered from warnings about memory shortage, and some have disappeared. It is a detail obviously, from an agricultural scene. The pathos touched me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The picture-postcard village of Estaing lies at the foot of the Aubrac Mountains on the Le Puy route in southern France. It was 30+ degrees Celsius the day we walked through this village which is dominated by the towering 15th century Chateau of the Estaing family.

Attachments

• Estaing.jpg
    Estaing.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31
Thank you so much. As I have said, my photos suffered from warnings about memory shortage, and some have disappeared. It is a detail obviously, from an agricultural scene. The pathos touched me.
The intensity is indeed strong. This might be by the Spanish painter Joaquin Sorolla while José Malhoa was Portuguese.

I will check with my walking companion. She will remember the place, and that might help locate the artist. You are too good, to give time to this. Thank you.

The picture-postcard village of Estaing lies at the foot of the Aubrac Mountains on the Le Puy route in southern France. It was 30+ degrees Celsius the day we walked through this village which is dominated by the towering 15th century Chateau of the Estaing family.
Beautiful photo.

I am currently watching the Le Puy (Via Podiensis) vlog series by Efrén González. Although only 3 videos are out, they have made me yearn to walk this route; this is in addition to wanting to walk the Via Francigena. So many walks yet to take...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
CF after leaving Melide. Today I was watching Efren Gonzales’ YouTube on the Primitivo and in his video he has a scene of this lovely horreo that I had taken on August 13, 2019.
View attachment 113896
HAPPY THANKSGIVING Everyone!! 🍁
Great photo. I noticed Phoenix also mentioned Efren Gonzales but I'm not aware of him. I must check out his various You Tubes. It's always lovely to reminisce and see another's perspective.

Great photo. I noticed Phoenix also mentioned Efren Gonzales… I must check out his various You Tubes.
May I suggest you start with his first Camino, the Frances, in 2017 on the Frances. I had already walked two Camino’s when I found Efren. I really enjoyed his videos and his drone work is phenomenal. 😍

Last edited:
Saint Jean Pied de Port
49 rue de La Citadelle

photo taken October 14, 2014

49 rue de La Citadelle.jpg

This handsome door knocker adorns a private house on the street of pilgrim hope and memory in Saint Jean Pied de Port, the picturesque Basque mountain town in the French Pyrenees.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Descent to Villanueva de la Oca.jpg

Descent to Villanueva de la Oca.Camino Vasco Interior 2019.

€60,-
Ventosa
Calle Mayor 33
Albergue San Saturnino

photo taken October 29, 2015

Ventosa.jpg

Ventosa is small village located slightly off the CF path between Navarrete and Najera. This private albergue, a handsome, comfortable renovation, offers garden/patio views plus welcome heat in autumn/winter.

€60,-
Capilla .jpg
Capilla de San Pedro Martir. On the way to Cee.Epilogue from Santiago to Finisterre. 2016.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We were very fortunate to hear this Youth Orchestra/Band in Sarria on the promenade beside the Rio Sarria.
We were eating our dinner and noticed lots of young people passing all dressed similarly and carrying what looked like musical instrument cases. They then started to set up along from where we were eating. Then the conductor/leader arrived and the music began. It was a wonderful experience. September, 2014. It seems to work OK, hope you are able to listen to it.
View attachment 26 Sep #8 2000hrs Sarria Citizens Band Rio Sarria Promenade.MP4

Last edited:
Zubiri
El Palo de Avellano
interior

photo taken October 17, 2015

El Palo de Avellano.jpg

This handsome dining room mural is in El Palo de Avellano a private albergue located next to the church in Zubiri on the CF. The albergue name recalls hazel wood walking sticks used by earlier pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Galicia, sunrise, 2010
Carpe diem!

Galicia, sunrise, 2010.jpg

May the glory of new morning light lift our spirits and give us hope of better times to come.

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."

Marcus Aurelius,
The Emperor's Handbook, II,IV

Last edited:
1638181347643.jpeg

As I sit here this morning waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in, my feet are sore from the miles I've been putting in here at home on hard surfaces.

I miss those miles and miles of boardwalk along the Portuguese coast...

Matosinhos --> Vila do Conde
CP, Oct 2019

O Cebreiro
snow

photo taken November 29, 2012

O Cebreiro snow 29.11.2012.jpg

After climbing 5 cold hours on the CF this photo was taken with great joy/relief upon arrival!
Cognac plus a late second breakfast came next in the surprisingly open/warm cafe.

For more re that snowy walk see
this earlier post

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The path along the Canal Lateral a la Garonne, after Moissac on the Le
Puy Camino, October 7, 2016. An easy walk!

View attachment 114066
Fabulous photo Rowena and what a beautiful walk on that towpath. We spent 2 nights at the wonderful albergue Ultreia in June 2015. The Abbaye St Pierre and its cloisters were magnificent.

Attachments

• Moissac Abbaye Cloisters.jpg
    Moissac Abbaye Cloisters.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Moissac Abbaye St Pierre.jpg
    Moissac Abbaye St Pierre.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
On the same day as my last photo, October 7, 2016, on the Le Puy, the path left the canal after several kilometers and crossed over the Garonne River into Auvillar. I sat to eat lunch at the side of the road somewhere in between, and these bold turkeys suggested that I should share it with them.

BEFBC35C-D6B3-4CB0-BD46-C3BC57B95BD4.png

west of Nájera
camino landscape,

photo taken February 19, 2007

west of Najera.jpg

West of Nájera on the CF beneath a vivid blue sky and bright winter sun snow-covered mountains were visible to the south on my left. That February walk was a long cold slog across frozen mud.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Coming into Salvatierra on the Vasco, one the first things you encounter is the beautiful Iglesia Santa Maria; it's not the main church in town - that's the much bigger Baroque Iglesia de San Juan Bautista on the main plaza. Both apparently started out as fortresses and Santa Maria once formed part of the wall around the town.
20190521_150751.jpg
Edit: On the opposite sides of Iberia, @!Theatregal and I seem to be on a similar wavelength, posting simultaneously. :cool: Nice new avatar,@Theatregal!

Last edited:
Coming into Salvatierra on the Vasco, one the first things you encounter is the beautiful Iglesia Santa Maria; it's not the main church in town - that's the much bigger Baroque Iglesia de San Juan Bautista on the main plaza. Both apparently started out as fortresses and Santa Maria once formed part of the wall around the town.
View attachment 114141
Edit: On the opposite sides of Iberia, @!Theatregal and I seem to be on a similar wavelength, posting simultaneously. :cool: Nice new avatar,@Theatregal!

I missed this one of course! Coming in from the other side by public transport. I shall have to walk the Vasco Interior again if only for that gorgeous etapa between Zegama and Salvatierra. I was very glad to see you arrive and our fellow peregrino from Barcelona.
And now for some reason I am reminded of the wonderful dish of defrosted peas that evening in the albergue... ;) . Thank god that supermarkets stocked up on veggies! Made me feel less bad because of me eating lunch alone in a restaurant ( meat in abundance ) .

Made me feel less bad because of me eating lunch alone in a restaurant
I missed your company in that very nice cafe, too. Next time. And next time I will know how to find the albergue. What a wild goose chase, rescued by a teacher in the local school.

I missed your company in that very nice cafe, too. Next time. And next time I will know how to find the albergue. What a wild goose chase, rescued by a teacher in the local school.
VN,
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could indeed have a next time.
"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them.You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back