• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In the late 80s we visited Barcelona as part of a driving tour of Portugal and Spain. We wandered around alone at the Sagrada Familia construction site. I think it was free. Before our 2015 Camino Francés we stopped in Barcelona again. On entering I wept; such beauty. We visited again in 2019 and I started my Camino Catalan from Barcelona.
A05000-VER.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Villatuerta
private albergue

photo taken October 20, 2011

Villatuerta, albergue, hammocks .jpg

The loggia of the Casa Magica, a private albergue in Villatuerta on the CF, was strung with colorful hammocks for shady siestas out of the sun; these might have been very appealing during summer heat, but were not quite as inviting in the October chill.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
1638441155300.jpeg

Viana do Castelo --> Vila Praia de Âncora
CP, Oct 2019

Everytime I see a thread asking about the CP coastal vs interior routes, I know the answer for me. The interior of Portugal is rich with places/things to experience, yet as someone who lives above 7,100 ft (2,160 meters) elevation, I will take every opportunity to walk by the water, to feel the ocean breeze, and to hear nature's mood through the sounds of the waves.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
south of Ages, bridge
photo taken November 01, 2011

Ages, south bridge.jpg

In Ages on the CF at the south side of Iglesia de Santa Eulalia a farming path/dirt road begins. It will cross the rio Vena via this bridge.

bridge, south of Ages, 01.11.2011.jpg

The dirt road continues to Zalduendo on
Estrada Logrono Vigo / route N 120 where an old camino path parallel to that highway goes west to Burgos.

When I followed this old camino path so did pelotons of cyclists. Those bikers upon seeing my slow walking pace and gray hair often stopped to kindly ask if I needed anything.
All I needed was more pep!!

Last edited:
Zaragoza.jpg

Zaragoza. Camino del Ebro.2013. I might be repeating myself?
Won't be long before I used all the pictures from my archive. I seem to have lots of pictures left of food but hey how many pics can you post of breakfasts and pintxos! ;)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Won't be long before I used all the pictures from my archive.
What's wrong with food photos? Each one will have a story attached to it. Anyway, you can cycle back through the others you have used before, because many will not have seen them and we who have may not remember, 🙃

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 114313

Zaragoza. Camino del Ebro.2013. I might be repeating myself?
Won't be long before I used all the pictures from my archive. I seem to have lots of pictures left of food but hey how many pics can you post of breakfasts and pintxos! ;)
I say... bring on the food! 🙂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Puente La Reina - Gares
Convento del Crucifijio
open door

photo taken February 11, 2007

Puente La Reina, doors.jpg

In Puente La Reina - Gares on the CF this open door of the Convento del Crucifijio frames the view of the closed door of the Iglesia del Crucifijo across the Calle del Crucifijio.

The Calle del Crucifijo is named for the church which is in turn named for a famous crucifix displayed inside. A private school, the Colegio de los Padres Reparadores, occupies the Convento

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Food. Pintxo of morcilla and egg at the Taberna Blai in Beasain.

What an exquisite choice of pintxos they have at this place.
@VNwalking and I arrived there after quite ( another ) a rainy day on the Vasco Interior. She already tracked down the friendly hospitalero of the albergue and so we waited till the hospi was ready to take us in.

We found two chairs at the windowsill and had some bites. There was a lovely vibe of local families at Blai.
The next morning our breakfast there was very good also.

Taberna Blai.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
View attachment 114331

@Rowena Ponte de Lima from a different vantage point ("new" bridge with old bridge in the distance), just a few weeks before your photo was taken.

CP, 9 Oct 2019
@Phoenix, I took a photo from that spot too. It must have rained in between your photo and mine, because there was plenty of water flowing over those exposed structures in the river.

9833E445-9A29-4E96-8828-1737EA48CAF1.png

Crossing the old bridge the next morning, October 23, 2019
Ponte de Lima on the CP

B7DB9372-3381-4554-8E12-6EF039F3B807.png

1638624471067.jpeg

Vila Praia de Âncora
CP, 10 Oct 2019

EDIT: Many pilgrims pass through this town on the way to Caminha (5-6 km farther). It is the kind of spot many people in the US would travel to several hours by car for vacation, yet many pilgrims blow past it because a guide book/app may state that Caminha is the end of the stage. It's a very nice place to chill for the evening.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have not participated on this thread for quite some time, but I came across this photo I'd taken near Sahagún and thought it interesting. I wasn't sure if it was a repair of loose stonework, or if a larger window had been removed and replaced with a smaller one. This is an example of one of the rather quirky, yet charming aspects of the Caminos imo.
Screenshot_20211203-203324~2.png
P.S. I have caught up with viewing all the photos on this page. I do enjoy all of the submissions as, like myself, they make us recall many of our wonderful memories walking these pilgrimage paths.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perfection at the end of a delicious meal in the lovely garden of Casa Felisa in Santiago. August 7, 2014. Had a meal here 2 days in a row because it was so good!

View attachment 114395 View attachment 114394

The garden is one of the nicest spots in Santiago!
Had one of those memorable lunches there . Arriving at 3 pm and leaving at 5.30 pm...
Thanks for sharing this memory...

Perfection at the end of a delicious meal in the lovely garden of Casa Felisa in Santiago. August 7, 2014. Had a meal here 2 days in a row because it was so good!

If I am not mistaken the pictures show the Hotel Costa Vella, no.17 Rua da Porta da Pena. Casa Felisa is on the same street no.5. Pictures attached. I eat there every time I am in SDC.

IMG_20160630_132235861.jpgIMG_20190604_131050865.jpgIMG_20190523_135541337_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I am not mistaken the pictures show the Hotel Costa Vella, no.17 Rua da Porta da Pena. Casa Felisa is on the same street no.5. Pictures attached. I eat there every time I am in SDC.
It could be! I couldn't remember the name of the place so I googled "garden restaurant in santiago de compostela" and one of the entries that came up was Casa Felisa with a photo showing the sculpture in my photo.

west of Itero de Vega
landscape

photo taken February 28, 2007

west of Itero de Vega.JPG

The sky was grey and heavy with rain while this ocher landscape on the CF was thoroughly wet. Puddles were everywhere. For pondering the weather was perfect; the cold drip of rainwater on my face kept me focused.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 114399View attachment 114400View attachment 114401
You are not mistaken Chenahusky. The magnificent gardens of the Hotel Costa Vella are the refuge of pilgrims and locals alike. We have enjoyed stays at that Hotel at the conclusion of 2 Caminos - 2013 and 2017. The owners are wonderful as is their hospitality.

Attachments

• Hotel Costa Vella garden sculpture.jpg
    Hotel Costa Vella garden sculpture.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • Hotel Costa Vella garden2.jpg
    Hotel Costa Vella garden2.jpg
    892.2 KB · Views: 13
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral
interior

photo taken December 3, 2011

Santiago de Compostela, cathedral, interior.jpg

Evening mass was a simple service. Perhaps 15 pilgrims attended; we all sat/stood close to the new altar. In the nave were a few other worshipers. A solitary nun sang; her voice rose pure and clear. The places from which we pilgrims had begun our caminos were read.
All was timeless.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met D'Artagnan and the 3 Musketeers in a village only the French would call Condom!

Attachments

• Condom France.jpg
    Condom France.jpg
    779.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Musketeers in Condom.jpg
    Musketeers in Condom.jpg
    943 KB · Views: 17
Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral
interior

photo taken December 3, 2011

View attachment 114465

Evening mass was a simple service. Perhaps 15 pilgrims attended; we all sat/stood close to the new altar. In the nave were a few other worshipers. A solitary nun sang; her voice rose pure and clear. The places from which we pilgrims had begun our caminos were read.
All was timeless.
Of the many good folks who've walked Camino(s), I think I would most love to sit and listen to your Camino stories/experiences.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Check out how this name evolved from antiquity here.
Thank you mspath - I've checked the link out and for the benefit of those who may have been as ignorant as me, here is the explanation. Despite its name, it is a beautiful little village.
There is no relationship between the English word condom and this town. The toponym Condom comes from the Gaulish words condate and magos combined into Condatomagos, which means "market or field, of the confluence".

To make it easier for me to choose some photos to post tomorrow I will show pictures of places I visited on day one of my Camino Catalan. Most were closed due to my early start but I touched them as I passed. I had taken their pictures earlier on my trip and I'll be posting those.

Today is the Basilica de Santa Maria del Pi, which I didn't visit on my walk out of the city. Its style is Catalan Gothic.
IMG_20191007_123934-01.jpeg

To make it easier for me to choose some photos to post tomorrow I will show pictures of places I visited on day one of my Camino Catalan. Most were closed due to my early start but I touched them as I passed. I had taken their pictures earlier on my trip and I'll be posting those.

Today is the Basilica de Santa Maria del Pi, which I didn't visit on my walk out of the city. Its style is Catalan Gothic.
View attachment 114481

My favourite church in Barcelona!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
west of Triacastela
photo taken November 25, 2011

towards Samos.jpg

This unidentified riverside location somewhere on the CF west of Triacastela and east of San Martiño do Real appeared bucolic in the cold November morning light.

west of Triacastela

View attachment 114500

This unidentified riverside location somewhere on the CF west of Triacastela and east of San Martiño do Real appeared bucolic in the cold November morning light.
Same spot, a sunny May morning 8 years later.

IMG_20190528_091500063_HDR.jpg

@mspath and @Chenahusky, I also have a photo from a rainy April day between the two of you, in 2014.
But I only can post one photo and I will follow my own rules. 🙃
La Casa de los Dioses from David.CF 2017
Here is David in 2014 as we were leaving. What a gem of a human being.
HdO to Astorga - David 2014.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@mspath and @Chenahusky, I also have a photo from a rainy April day between the two of you, in 2014.
But I only can post one photo and I will follow my own rules. 🙃

Here is David in 2014 as we were leaving. What a gem of a human being.
View attachment 114530
Yes David was such a selfless soul. We met him in May 2013 and the hug I received when we left me feeling emotionally fueled. He even offered "Bronte Bear" some honey!

Attachments

• David May 2013.jpg
    David May 2013.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • David's Casa de los Dioses.jpg
    David's Casa de los Dioses.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
My first stop on Camino day one was to touch the gate of the romanesque monastery of Sant Pau del Camp. Once in fields (camp) outside the walls of Barcelona it is now two blocks away from the Parallel Metro stop (and without moving at all). I visited it twice before on my stay in town and picked up my credential there.
IMG_20191007_113950-01.jpeg

I'm cheating a bit by adding a second photo but just saying it suffers occasional floods isn't enough.
IMG_20191007_114406-01.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Chenahusky,
Great shot! Do you have a gps by chance? I don't.
It is in the village of San Christovo do Real, about 35 minutes walk from Triacastela. If you look on Google Earth you can see the weir to the West of the village. I had my location turned off, but the Coordinates Lat. & Long. are 42.740482, -7.272834. If you stick those into Google Earth search, it will take you straight there. Thank you for all your great pictures and your lovely descriptions. I am cheating a bit, but I have attached a picture of the village church, in case it rings any bells.

IMG_20190528_091436071_HDR.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is in the village of San Christovo do Real, about 35 minutes walk from Triacastela. If you look on Google Earth you can see the weir to the West of the village. I had my location turned off, but the Coordinates Lat. & Long. are 42.740482, -7.272834. If you stick those into Google Earth search, it will take you straight there. Thank you for all your great pictures and your lovely descriptions. I am cheating a bit, but I have attached a picture of the village church, in case it rings any bells.

View attachment 114541
Chenahusky,
Bingo! With your long./lat. I "see" it ; there is even a video!
Thank you for that info and kind comments. Carpe diem.

Last edited:
CF August 4, 2019: After a sleepless night in Villares de Orbigo I set out about 4:30a to meetup with a friend in Astorga so we could walk to Rabanal together. (A very long day for me) Through the still dark morning I came across David’s place where I heard someone snoring in the distance, I’m guessing it was him. He’s created a nice oasis along the way. Grateful. ☺️
B1ADC550-3D3D-471A-BA25-195DA685DCA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Roncesvalles
photo taken February 7, 2007

Roncesvalles.JPG

From Valcarlos I had climbed 5 hours on the verges of route N135 to the famous monastery at Roncesvalles. The air was very cold; snow and sleet covered the ground.

Suddenly a tourist bus pulled up. Within the heated interior several fur clad passengers quickly snapped a photo before I, shivering, slowly moved from their sight.

Another view of the bridge shown by @Phoenix at #774. This is Arcade

Attachments

• P1000215.JPG
    P1000215.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 23
Hi. I'm back. Sometimes, in the morning, you get a glimpse of wild life. Deer seem to be the most common. This one was just after Valdedios, 30 Sept 2015. Believe it or not, there was a main road between me and the field it is standing in. It was very early in the morning.

DSC00162.JPG

@Anne&Pat we have nearly the same photo. 🤣 I was there October 3, 2013. There is no sign in my photo, I wonder why? I recall this place because I stopped for a quick minute to have a Coca-Cola with a couple who were part of my Camino family. Salute!
View attachment 114570
You are on the other side of the sign, a wee bit closer to the rio Iso! ;)

Hi. I'm back. Sometimes, in the morning, you get a glimpse of wild life. Deer seem to be the most common. This one was just after Valdedios, 30 Sept 2015. Believe it or not, there was a main road between me and the field it is standing in. It was very early in the morning.

View attachment 114576
Welcome back Dick! Beautiful photo.

Just seen this in El Pais. According to the caption, it is in Navarra somewhere. Guess what those two are up to.
View attachment 114581
That looks like the stretch between Roncesvalles and Burguete, when I walked the slushy roads with police at several locations along the road waiting to help drivers and pilgrims.

I am positive that it will be the only time in my life I walk a Camino during the period Nov 15 - April 1.

1638965877930.jpeg

CF, 1 Mar 2014

That looks like the stretch between Roncesvalles and Burguete, when I walked the slushy roads with police at several locations along the road waiting to help drivers and pilgrims.

I am positive that it will be the only time in my life I walk a Camino during the period Nov 15 - April 1.

View attachment 114583

CF, 1 Mar 2014
Just seen this in El Pais. According to the caption, it is in Navarra somewhere. Guess what those two are up to.
View attachment 114581
The sign reads Mezkiritz so this curved double lane route is the N135 here

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A bit of explanation... nothing against winter Camino(s); I have great admiration for those who brave the elements. However, it seems several life experiences have had a cumulative effect on me. From "sleeping" in a tent at 15,300 ft with melting glacier water running just beneath the volcanic ground to alpine climbing to shoveling snow, once I get cold now it takes days to warm up.

After the pre-dawn touch of the Columbus monument on my Camino Catalan day one I went to join the charming @Camino_Chrissy for breakfast. Chris was touring in Catalonia and France with her family and was able to squeeze me into her schedule twice (the first time I was lost, checked my phone's map app, saw an email sent by her a half hour previously saying she just checked into her hotel and since it happened to be just a block away I surprised her, her husband and a son with a brief visit).

Afterwards I went to one of the Barceloneta beaches to start a sea-to-sea camino by picking up a pebble to deposit on the beach at San Sebastian (I stopped at Pamplona though).

IMG_20191019_083040-01.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

View attachment 114583

CF, 1 Mar 2014

February 2014 to late March CF.

Like you I am fairly certain I will not walk another winter camino.

Great experience.

But, once was more than enough.

View attachment 114583

CF, 1 Mar 2014
Here's the caption from the photo gallery: https://elpais.com/elpais/2021/12/05/album/1638720469_746965.html#foto_gal_1 which gives a bit more information:
Una pareja de peregrinos realiza el Camino de Santiago por la N-135, en Mezkiritz (Navarra). Las temperaturas bajarán de forma apreciable y generalizada en la Península, incluso con un descenso notable en el noroeste, Cantábrico y sierras del sureste.

San Martiño do Real
overlooking Samos Monastery

overlooking Samos.jpg

The CF between Triacastela and Samos parallels much of route LU 633; this bird's eye view down onto the immense monastery is from the hamlet San Martiño do Real.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here's the caption from the photo gallery: https://elpais.com/elpais/2021/12/05/album/1638720469_746965.html#foto_gal_1 which gives a bit more information:
Una pareja de peregrinos realiza el Camino de Santiago por la N-135, en Mezkiritz (Navarra). Las temperaturas bajarán de forma apreciable y generalizada en la Península, incluso con un descenso notable en el noroeste, Cantábrico y sierras del sureste.
Just to add - I've always wondered which verb to use with 'camino', is it hacer? Andar? Apparently it is realizar, which I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back