• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Praia de Estorde
photo take April 2, 2006

Praia de Escorde 02.04.2006..jpg

In 2006 crossing the beach barefoot while holding my boots like a child I delighted in the tickle of sand between my toes. Estorde is the first beach on the camino path linking Corcubion/San Roque to Finisterre. Mid view is Finisterre; Cape Finisterre is on the far left.

Petiscos.jpg

Weekend so foodtime.
Bar Petiscos do Cardeal in Santiago de Compostela.
Navajas and ciervo.
I had a lovely time with fellow pilgrim Jim from the USA.We met the day before at a lunch organised by mutual friends and we decided to spend our last evening in Santiago at this wonderful place.

For those who do not know it...do give it a try.

Basílica de Santa Luzia above Viana do Castelo. Lovely trip along the Portuguese coast in warm autumn sunshine.

Attachments

• P1000177.JPG
    P1000177.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nestled in the Lot Valley the beautiful village of Saint Come d'Olt is known for it's twisted spire. June 2015 on route from Le Puy to SJPDP on the Via Podiensis

Attachments

• Saint Come d'Olt twisted spire.jpg
    Saint Come d'Olt twisted spire.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Saint Come d'Olt.jpg
    Saint Come d'Olt.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Albergue at Pasajes de San Juan to open up, April, 2018.
In the Pais Vasco, that attractive swirly icon is everywhere, usually over doorways. Not knowing what it meant, at first I cynically assumed it was a modern invention, contrived by a PR firm somewhere. That couldn't be more wrong.

These are hooked crosses, called lauburu, that go back to antiquity.

Here is one from a little past Zegama on the Vasco, 2019.
IMG_1020.JPG

twisted spire
That's not just twisted, it's bent too. For some reason - and who knows why - this looks vaguely sinister (no pun intended).

Last edited:
Loved walking across the amazing Ponte Internacional. Such a delight, the Minho river far below and the fortress of Tui on the hill opposite. As many will know the engineer was a disciple of Gustave Eiffel and you can certainly see the design imprint of the latter.

tui2.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 115050

@kohara - Looking back in the other direction is the Fortaleza de Valença. Had I not been injured and needed to stay off my feet during my rest day in Tui, I would have loved to explore the fort. Someday...

CP, Oct 2019
Phoenix,
This is a lovely shot of a wonderful spot. When you do go back try to stay at the Pousada within the fortress. See some happy memories here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looking back seems a theme. I do a lot of that, and not just a glance, but stand and gawk at the sunrise, or the receeding hills. It's amazing I get where I'm going sometimes.
(If I get responses, they're two kinds: People either turn and look, and go 'woooow,' or ask what I'm looking at, without turning and using their own eyes. 😂)

From my most recent camino, a long look back at the way behind me from near Zalduondo, having come up from Zegama and through the Tunel San Adrian - drinking in the feeling of having accomplished something challenging.
20190521_132744 (2).jpg

September 18, 2016
Looking back at Le Puy en Velay, first day on the Via Podiensis

View attachment 115044
Great photo Rowena. I must remember to do that in future ... look back. Bronte bear, on the other hand does that all the time, so he sees an entirely different perspective of every walk.
The church of Saint-Michel d'Aiguilhe (Saint Michael on the Needle) atop the basalt outcrop reached via 268 stone steps that wind up the side. All worth the effort for magnificent vistas over Le Puy.

Attachments

• Le Puy Saint Michel d'Aiguilhe.jpg
    Le Puy Saint Michel d'Aiguilhe.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • Saint Michel d'Aiguilhe.jpg
    Saint Michel d'Aiguilhe.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great photo Rowena. I must remember to do that in future ... look back. Bronte bear, on the other hand does that all the time, so he sees an entirely different perspective of every walk.
The church of Saint-Michel d'Aiguilhe (Saint Michael on the Needle) atop the basalt outcrop reached via 268 stone steps that wind up the side. All worth the effort for magnificent vistas over Le Puy.
Bronte Downunder,
Bronte certainly enjoys a different perspective as shown in these photos of that needle. Might he also attempt walking backward?

And talking of backpacks. From my first camino. It is a beast, all 55 litre containing 2.5+ kilos of it. Fantastic for bushwalking and overnight camping, not so great for the camino. The bright red has now faded to a dusty pink, but it is still going strong, just not on the camino.

DSCN1214.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nestled in the Lot Valley the beautiful village of Saint Come d'Olt is known for it's twisted spire. June 2015 on route from Le Puy to SJPDP on the Via Podiensis
I think the usual explanation is that it was fairly common in mediaeval times to use unseasoned timber which would shrink and change shape as the timber dried out. There was a thread earlier this year about twisted church spires. Apparently, there are websites and clubs of aficionaodos devoted to the subject. Takes all sorts.

DSC05665.JPG

Bronte Downunder,
Bronte certainly enjoys a different perspective as shown in these photos of that needle. Might he also attempt walking backward?
I'll put it to him mspath :) though he's quite happy strapped securely into my backpack. He often has chats to people we never get to see as they're behind us! Your own photos always amaze me as you obviously rise early enough to see sunrise and capture many evening/night shots. I have to admit we were not early risers but rarely the last to leave the albergues either. Just loving all these posted images and long for the opportunity to walk another Camino but they're a loooong way from home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Puente La Reina-Gares
Calle del Crucifijo
night

photo taken October 23, 2013

Puente La Reina, night.jpg

Calle del Crucifijo is named for the Iglesia del Crucifijo; the church is in turn named for a famous crucifix displayed inside. In this view the curve of the church apse is visible on the right/north side of the calle. A lighted covered passage links the church to the Convento del Crucifijo on the left/south side of the calle; a private school, the Colegio de los Padres Reparadores, occupies that space.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've decided to play a game.
The person right before me posts from a year I walked a camino, that's the file where I'll find an image to share.

So 2016, Camino San Olav:
My welcoming committee in Mambrillas, after a stunning but very long day from Santo Domingo de Silos. The two ladies had a place to stay there, and the guy was from the next village over, and took overflow from their CR. I was the overflow.

It was wonderful, so much kindness! Laurie had helped me arrange it, and they were waiting for me when I arrived, only 5 minutes later than I had expected - in spite of getting lost twice and walking about 7km more than I expected to that day
IMG_1325.JPG.

Last edited:
On our first Camino Frances we stayed in Hostel Campanas de San Juan, this photo was taken by Pat after he climbed to the top of Campanas de San Juan ( ie the bell tower across the laneway from the Hostal.) With views of the roof of the hostal and San Martin Pinario. I am seated outside the Hostal looking up at him. October, 2014.
4 Oct #27 1657hrs (corrected time) View of roof tops of Hostal San Xuan & Mosteiro de San Mart...JPG4 Oct #26 1656hrs (corrected time) View of Hostal San Xuan from Campanas de San Xuan. Anne sea...JPG

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm doing something different today to save space on Ivar's server. A couple of days ago in the thread Your Favorite Sello @Peregrinopaul posted a shot of Sahagún's "Halfway" Certificate instead and I noticed that Peg and I were there on the same day. We stayed in town longer though and got to see some interesting sights so a posted two pictures of them. The link will bring you to my post.

Should we reconsider how to post here to save space on the forum's server? I am not technical at all so I would really appreciate if you have some thoughts about this?
These are wonderful threads but it would be a pity if we would slow down the process.

Last edited:
Should we reconsider how to post here to save space on the forum's server? I am not technical at all so I would really appreciate if you have some thoughts about this?
These are wonderful threads but it would be a pity if we would slow down the process.
No. For speed we are fine as long as we continue to post thumbnails in threads that are heavy in photos. For threads that don't have many photos then full size pictures are okay.

My post was to spare Ivar from having two identical pictures sitting on his server with two different filenames, a waste of maybe up to 3 MB.

I'll suggest another way to save space on the server but its intended for people who already know how to do it. You can edit the picture to a lower resolution (be smaller). For example, the full size picture of the cloister I sent in the other day is 2,160 pixels by 3,840 pixels and takes up 2.9 MB of disk space. The resolution of it is probably sufficient to print an 8x10 photograph but pictures on the web look just fine with the longer dimension being about 1,000 pixels. I used the Snapseed app to make a copy of my photo and it generated a 450 pixel by 800 pixel image that just took up 161 KB of disk space which is about 6% of the size of the original image.

Ivar hasn't closed this thread so no one should worry about the size of the pics but if you can easily reduce the size it's a plus.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
O Hospital
Hospital da Cruz albergue
interior

photo taken December 3, 2012

albergue, Hospital da Cruz.jpg

To arrive and step into a warm albergue dorm when tired, wet and cold that December afternoon was bliss.
This repurposed/renovated building with good heat and hot showers is on the CF east of Ventas de Narón but slightly off the beaten track. I was the only pilgrim.

I have wanted to go and do the Somport from Lourdes for many years but have never got around to it. I have however been to Lourdes a number of times. I hope that you will forgive me a picture of happier times in Lourdes, 2014.

View attachment 115115
I can thoroughly recommend the section from Oloron Ste. Marie to Somport, and the Aragonés to Obanos. I hope you get to do it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
west of Castrojeriz
photo taken February 27, 2007

west of Castrojeriz.jpg

This CF view just west of Castrojeriz shows the distant steep ascent up the Mostelares plateau. However, during the next hours as I climbed the gravel path was broad and the panorama from the top superb.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fields of plastic covered rows puzzled us ... we were unfamiliar with white asparagus but enjoyed many a salad using this Spanish delicacy. This crop was on the Camino Frances between Azqueta and Los Arcos, April 25, 2013.

Attachments

• white asparagus.jpg
    white asparagus.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 14
Fields of plastic covered rows puzzled us ... we were unfamiliar with white asparagus but enjoyed many a salad using this Spanish delicacy. This crop was on the Camino Frances between Azqueta and Los Arcos, April 25, 2013.

Ah the fresh white asparagus from Navarra.Especially Tudela is famous for this product.

I had the luck of having them fresh ( and luckily without the mandatory mayonaise that seems to be the preferred sauce in Spain ).
They are almost as good as our local Belgian ones... :) ( we generally serve them with a butter, hardboilt egg and parsley sauce ).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kanga: A Horse
Sabine: El Ganso
Me: A horse (and birds) in El Ganso
Q16700-HOR.jpg
From Astorga we had stopped for the day in Santa Catalina; a short day due to it being Peg's first day walking after four days off due to tendonitis. It was too short of a day for me so I headed to El Ganso to take pictures as I wouldn't have time the next day. Just before getting back to Santa Catalina I had a short chat with a local who saw me walking both ways and was curious as to why I would do that.

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Arga River
photo taken January 28, 2009

Arga River 28. 01.2009.jpg

As I took this view of the Arga River churning/overflowing during winter rain a slim fellow appeared holding a large open umbrella. Living nearby he had purposely walked to see the roiling water. After suggesting a dryer/safer path, we shared his umbrella as he led me cross country to the Trinidad de Arre monastery albergue.

...I fondly remember him akin to a helpful Narnia faun!

€83,-
1640264671643.jpeg

I much prefer to be behind a camera than in front of it. This one is of me, captured by a young pilgrim (I think she was German) as she took several photos of the sunrise looking back in the direction of Agés. She shared this one with me a few days later.

CF, Oct 2016

Last edited:
View attachment 115264

I much prefer to be behind a camera than in front of it. This one is of me, captured by a young pilgrim (I think she was German) as she took several photos of the sunrise looking back in the direction of Agés. She shared this one with me a few days later.

CF, Oct 2016
You're in good company. Cartier-Bresson was reputed to be obsessively camera-shy.

Caniçada, Gerês, Portugal
Pousada Sao Bento

photos taken December 2011

Located roughly 30 km NE from Braga the national park Peneda-Gerês is quite remote; there are many mountain trails but no albergues or official camino route; thus for hiking you need to "wing it"!

Caniçada, Gerês, view north.jpg

For several post camino Christmases during happier, easier times my husband and I enjoyed staying within the park at the Pousada Sao Bento in the earliest section of this rustic hotel complex.

Pousada Sao Bento.jpg

....All was always perfect.

We arrived into Lisbon on the night train from Irun in April, 2016, to walk the Caminho Portuguese. This was the view that greeted us when we walked out of Santa Apolonia railway station that morning at 08.00hrs. We enjoyed four days in Lisbon before starting our walk, of course, we did a lot of walking in the beautiful city of Lisbon!
P4193141.JPG

It is a bit past 5 AM on Friday where I am but it is just past midnight in parts of Oceania and so it's Christmas on the island of Kiritimati (also known as Christmas Island). I'm using this moment to be the first to wish you a Merry Christmas on Christmas even though all the rest of us have to wait from an hour to a little over a day to be flipping the page on our daily planners.

Seems like a good time to post a picture of the Madonna and Child in Eunate.
IMG_20191109_135352-01.jpeg

2018. (Thanks Sabine!)
It was a year I also did the Ingles, but from A Coruña, preceded by the 2-day St. Finbarr Way in Ireland (Co. Cork), which was a stunning and very up-and-down pilgrimage walk, with very good company (thanks to @NualaOC !).
So two pics:
From the bridge over the River Ilen near Drimoleague, near the start of St Finbarr Way, before any climbing begins.
IMG_0062.JPG
Then the Igrexa de Santiago de Sigras, on the first day of the Camino out of A Coruña.
IMG_0022.JPG
From Cork to Galicia, it did not feel like being in a different universe - there is much in common.
We live in a small world.

Seems like a good time to post a picture of the Madonna and Child in Eunate.
Beautiful. Merry Christmas to one and all!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Caniçada, Gerês, Portugal
Pousada Sao Bento
almoço de Natal/ Christmas Day lunch 2011

Pousada Sao Bento, Caniçada, Gerês%0A25.12.2011.jpg

This assortnent of desserts was deliciously splendid. I especially enjoyed the Bolo Rei /King's cake made with sweet dough, lemon zest, crystallized fruit and a bit of Port wine.

Mosteiro dos Jeronimos XVI Praca do Imperio, which houses the tombs of Vasco da Gama and the poet Luis de Camoes. As well as visiting Sintra this day we also visited here and the Monumento dos Descobrimentos built to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Henry the Navigator. The first photo is taken from the top of the second photo. April, 2016.
P4203287.JPGP4203280.JPG

Wishing you all a very Happy and Peaceful Christmas time. 🎄😍

Calzada.jpg
Calzada Romana on the Camino Vasco Interior 2019.
Walking through an open air museum. Very educational with the information boards.

And yes Merry Christmas to all you wonderful people here!

Last edited:
Convento do Carmo. The Convent of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is a former Catholic convent located in the civil parish of Santa Maria Maior, Lisbon. April, 2016.

A Mediaeval convent that was ruined in the great earthquake of 1755. Set overlooking the city the ruins provide a poignant reminder of the destruction wrought on Lisbon.
The ruined Convento do Carmo is situated in the Chiado district of Lisbon looking out over the city centre below. Visible from much of the downtown Baixa district of Lisbon the skeletal remains of this once great Gothic church are a lasting reminder of the events of that fateful day in 1755. Once the finest example of a Gothic church to be found in Lisbon the ruins of Carmo now serve as a poignant memorial with the pointed arches between the pillars rising up into the sky above.
In 1864 the Carmo church building was donated to the Association of Portuguese Archaeologists who in turn converted one end of the ruins into a museum. This small archaeological museum occupies nave and apse of the Church and contains exhibits from the entire span of Portuguese history. It also contains a collection of artefacts from the New World such as a Peruvian mummy and shrunken heads.

P4213390.JPGP4213404.JPG

Heads up, good One-a-Day people~
We're edging close to 1000 posts again, so once that happens I will start a new thread and ask the mods to close this one.
Every day I am thankful for your posts. Please feel free to repeat yourself!

Amazing place @Anne&Pat! Lest we think we're immune from nasty surprises from this restless earth.
Peruvian mummy and shrunken heads.
😳
Thank goodness it's no longer ok to acquire other people's remains as souvenirs any more. I'm a bit amazed they are still being displayed, rather than being repatriated.

Last edited:
Ferreteria.jpg

Yes , when on a Camino I'm the one making pictures of hardware stores aka Ferreterias.
I love these kind of places.Where else can you find cutlery ( when you want just that one spoon/fork because of course you lost that fancy plastic spork already... :) ) gardeningstuff, ducttape or soap?

O Meson do Vento on the Camino Ingles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 115430

Yes , when on a Camino I'm the one making pictures of hardware stores aka Ferreterias.
I love these kind of places.Where else can you find cutlery ( when you want just that one spoon/fork because of course you lost that fancy plastic spork already... :) ) gardeningstuff, ducttape or soap?

O Meson do Vento on the Camino Ingles.
Not to mention a pair of white leather gloves purchased in Pola de Gordón that made me look like an Edwardian chauffeur.

🤣

I love such places, so I am sorry I missed that one. Edit: And I would have walked past it three times (but on the other side of the street).
(And I also missed seeing the peregrino with the white leather gloves. 🤭)

But I saw these gorgeous Dahlias - somewhere between Meson do Vento and the place with dinosaurs.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Casa Avelina, near Bruma, Camino Ingles June 2018. A compulsory stop on the Camino Inglese. Here it was a very welcome sight, after a very soggy mornings walk. It is a place where the warmth of welcome warms the spirit. It is a place that I look forward to on every Ingles I have walked.

IMG_20180607_123132019.jpg

Casa Avelina, near Bruma, Camino Ingles June 2018. A compulsory stop on the Camino Inglese. Here it was a very welcome sight, after a very soggy mornings walk. It is a place where the warmth of welcome warms the spirit. It is a place that I look forward to on every Ingles I have walked.

View attachment 115432
How many? The only one I have walked I was wet to the gills that day. It was no surprise to be welcomed as we were, because I had heard of it ahead of time. Such a day! In the end, and from there to our end of day, we had to laugh just to keep going. When I say wet, I mean wet! Two happy meetings with @Becky 59 and family warmed us up in the course of that day.

How many? The only one I have walked I was wet to the gills that day. It was no surprise to be welcomed as we were, because I had heard of it ahead of time. Such a day! In the end, and from there to our end of day, we had to laugh just to keep going. When I say wet, I mean wet! Two happy meetings with @Becky 59 and family warmed us up in the course of that day.
Only three, from A Coruña, following on from a walk on the Pilgrims Way to Canterbury to make up the distance. One dry, one damp, one constant rain. Still great fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back