• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camino Frances
Rabanal del Camino
Iglesia de la Asunción

photo taken November 17, 2011

17 11 2011 Rabanal del Camino marker.jpg

Within the Iglesia de la Asunción a niche holds this small stone which displays the Order of Santiago insignia, a red cross resembling a sword, with the shape of a fleur-de-lis on the hilt and the arms.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've got a cutie to add for the bridge photo theme. I've submitted it before and I was able find it with the forum search engine so, to save server storage, I give the photo's link.
At the time we thought this took the camino cute bridge cake. Not as old as Rick's though - nor will it last a fraction as long. Vasco 2019.
20190526_120856 - Copy.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Passionate Man’s Pilgrimage

Give me my scallop shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope’s true gage,
And thus I’ll take my pilgrimage.

Blood must be my body’s balmer,
No other balm will there be given,
Whilst my soul, like a white palmer,
Travels to the land of heaven;
Over the silver mountains,
Where spring the nectar fountains;
And there I’ll kiss
The bowl of bliss,
And drink my eternal fill
On every milken hill.
My soul will be a-dry before,
But after it will ne’er thirst more;
And by the happy blissful way
More peaceful pilgrims I shall see,
That have shook off their gowns of clay,
And go apparelled fresh like me.
I’ll bring them first
To slake their thirst,
And then to taste those nectar suckets,
At the clear wells
Where sweetness dwells,
Drawn up by saints in crystal buckets.

And when our bottles and all we
Are fill’d with immortality,
Then the holy paths we’ll travel,
Strew’d with rubies thick as gravel,
Ceilings of diamonds, sapphire floors,
High walls of coral, and pearl bowers.

From thence to heaven’s bribeless hall
Where no corrupted voices brawl,
No conscience molten into gold,
Nor forg’d accusers bought and sold,
No cause deferr’d, nor vain-spent journey,
For there Christ is the king’s attorney,
Who pleads for all without degrees,
And he hath angels, but no fees.
When the grand twelve million jury
Of our sins and sinful fury,
‘Gainst our souls black verdicts give,
Christ pleads his death, and then we live.
Be thou my speaker, taintless pleader,
Unblotted lawyer, true proceeder,
Thou movest salvation even for alms,
Not with a bribed lawyer’s palms.
And this is my eternal plea
To him that made heaven, earth, and sea,
Seeing my flesh must die so soon,
And want a head to dine next noon,
Just at the stroke when my veins start and spread,
Set on my soul an everlasting head.
Then am I ready, like a palmer fit,
To tread those blest paths which before I writ.

Sir Walter Raleigh

The first verse of this poem suggests that the icons of the pilgrimage to Santiago were well-known even in 17th century, Protestant England.

Gallant, courtly and multi-talented, Sir Walter Raleigh was the archetypal Elizabethan swashbuckler. He was also highly ambitious and shamelessly schmoozed the Queen, who was furious to discover he had married without letting her know. He inveigled himself back into her favour but her successor, James the First of England, the Sixth of Scotland, did not trust him and clapped him in gaol. His persuasive powers were clearly formidable, however, as he convinced the King to allow him to lead an expedition to the Americas to discover El Dorado, the fabled city of gold, which Sir Walter probably knew perfectly well did not exist. With explicit instructions not to do anything to annoy the Spanish, he did exactly that by attacking and trying to plunder one of their settlements. On his return to England, he was arrested, tried and sentenced to death by beheading. This poem is assumed to have been written by him as he awaited execution. It displays outstanding courage and equanimity in the face of death.

The statue is in the church of Santiago in A Coruña
P1000770.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Villarente
two bridges

photo taken November 19, 2013

Villarente.jpg

What a relief it was for me and my shadow to stroll along this wooden way without fearing being hit by traffic!

At Villarente on the CF east of Leon this new pedestrian bridge replaced the need to walk on that distant medieval bridge which was too narrow for two lanes of N 601 traffic plus pedestrians.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Xunta albergue in Hospital de Bruma. Camino Ingles.
Notice that there are pots, pans and crockery. A rare sight in a Xunta albergue.

Kitchen.jpg

Although reading this information the pots and pans might have been something temporary!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
THE JOURNEY

The morning sea of silence broke into ripples of bird songs;
and the flowers were all merry by the roadside;
and the wealth of gold was scattered through the rift of the clouds
while we busily went on our way and paid no heed.

We sang no glad songs nor played;
we went not to the village for barter;
we spoke not a word nor smiled;
we lingered not on the way.
We quickened our pace more and more as the time sped by.

The sun rose to the mid sky and doves cooed in the shade.
Withered leaves danced and whirled in the hot air of noon.
The shepherd boy drowsed and dreamed in the shadow of the banyan tree,
and I laid myself down by the water
and stretched my tired limbs on the grass.

My companions laughed at me in scorn;
they held their heads high and hurried on;
they never looked back nor rested;
they vanished in the distant blue haze.

They crossed many meadows and hills,
and passed through strange, far-away countries.
All honor to you, heroic host of the interminable path!
Mockery and reproach pricked me to rise,
but found no response in me.

I gave myself up for lost
in the depth of a glad humiliation
—-in the shadow of a dim delight.

The repose of the sun-embroidered green gloom
slowly spread over my heart.
I forgot for what I had traveled,
and I surrendered my mind without struggle
to the maze of shadows and songs.

At last, when I woke from my slumber and opened my eyes,
I saw thee standing by me, flooding my sleep with thy smile.
How I had feared that the path was long and wearisome,
and the struggle to reach thee was hard!

Rabindranath Tagore

Original Bengali not found, and this translation may be by Tagore himself. A polymath and self-taught, Tagore was a near contemporary of Gandhi and like him, he opposed the Raj but was also opposed to chauvinistic nationalism. The message could be simplified as saying that it is not necessary to endure great hardship to attain enlightenment, and an attitude of struggle may even be an impediment, but you do need to be aware of the world around you and your place in it. Some pilgrims seem to approach the camino as if it were an endurance test, and Tagore is possibly saying that there is no merit in hardship for hardship’s sake. Being happy is not a sin.

P1000458.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have just posted this on another thread, so I thought I would pop it here as it is convenient. Cafe Avelinas, Camino Inglese, Sept. 2018. I am sure people know of this cafe, as it rightly famous for the warmth of its welcome.

View attachment 119421
I am looking forward to visiting this legendary place in April!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Was the bridge into Spain closed that day?
It was open.

As I was walking to Caminha from Vila Praia de Âncora on the stage to Tui, I saw an advertisement for the option of taking a kayak from Caminha to Tui up the River Minho (with lunch provided). Since I was (and had been for several days) walking on torn meniscus, it was just what I needed rather than walking farther that day.

We docked on the Portuguese side, had a toast with wine and then we walked across the bridge to Spain.

The locals turned Napoleon back at that bridge, didn't they?
I don't know. After sending one kid off to war/ground combat twice and the other kid off to foreign lands with the possibility of combat, I'm not interested in learning anything more about war.

EDIT: I know my response sounds terse; not directed at you, John. War sucks.

Last edited:
We've all got this one, haven't we?
I took the same picture but I don't have it; it was one that didn't survive the SD card accident. I do have a lousy shot of that bridge though from the little bridge on the other side. That bridge is where my affection lies anyway; we were camped near it at the municipal campground and we used it more than the other two. I get a kick out of seeing it in The Way. Good thinking on Estevez's part. He was able to keep those pesky pilgrims out of his way while filming.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took the same picture but I don't have it; it was one that didn't survive the SD card accident. I do have a lousy shot of that bridge though from the little bridge on the other side. That bridge is where my affection lies anyway; we were camped near it at the municipal campground and we used it more than the other two. I get a kick out of seeing it in The Way. Good thinking on Estevez's part. He was able to keep those pesky pilgrims out of his way while filming.
Would you like me to send you the original? Perhaps we can all fill in the blanks of your extinct SD card!

Would you like me to send you the original? Perhaps we can all fill in the blanks of your extinct SD card!
Thanks for the thought but I'm pretty good at internet searching and I view others' posted pictures regularly and know how to download them. That's one reason why it only took a minute for me to recover once I noticed the disaster. That and the fact that I haven't seen any of my thousands of slides in decades.

I do enjoy looking at all the photos sent to this thread.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
leaving Sarria
tree

photo taken March 15, 2009

west of Sarria.jpg

My favorite tree was viewed within an enchanted wood in early morning;
after crossing the medieval Ponte Aspera over the rio Pequeno and traversing a railway track
I entered this magical space.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bruma.jpg

Marking stone at the Xunta albergue in Hospital de Bruma.

Notice the symbol of Anõ Xacobeo.

Pelegrin, la eterna mascota.

Oporto, Summer 2013.
The day I lost my hat. The wind on the far side of the amazing bridge stole it from me. Unbeknownst.
If that were the height of any trouble...
There were so many impossible angles between buildings...

Attachments

• P4080043.JPG
    P4080043.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 22
1646131083176.jpeg

As I waited under cover from the rain in a portico across the plaza to get a photo of my arrival, I noticed the pilgrim in the orange poncho arrive. The pilgrim stood still in the rain looking up at the cathedral for quite some time; I wondered about their story, just one of 340,000+ stories of those who arrived in SdC in 2019.

CP, 18 Oct 2019

Oporto, Summer 2013.
The day I lost my hat. The wind on the far side of the amazing bridge stole it from me.

Hmmm... perhaps this hat seller knew the far side of the bridge was the perfect spot to set up his business! 😁

IMG_4881.jpeg

Can you see the boys standing on the bridge rails? They were asking 5 euro to jump! I watched them jump, swim to the bank, climb up, and back to the bridge to repeat several times! July 29, 2015, Dom Luis I Bridge, Porto.

View attachment IMG_4886.mov

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For today's photo I randomly got a day from my Catalan camino and my eye was caught by the colors here. I took the photo to show off some mundane Spanish life that was different from what we experience at home.
View attachment 119651
Rick,
Those colors are great; however I especially like the logo and raison d'etre of that red Caritas box.

Pelegrin, la eterna mascota.
The diabolical Mickey Mouse. 🙃
I have always hoped they did not spend too much money on that logo.

On the theme of wondering how many pilgrims have stopped here...
There is a lovely little Ermita on the way out of Rabé; when I stay there I like to go in the afternoon and just sit and watch the world go by. A very sweet place.
IMG_1373.JPG

The diabolical Mickey Mouse. 🙃
I have always hoped they did not spend too much money on that logo.

On the theme of wondering how many pilgrims have stopped here...
There is a lovely little Ermita on the way out of Rabé; when I stay there I like to go in the afternoon and just sit and watch the world go by. A very sweet place.
View attachment 119674

A perfect description about the mascota! My thoughts exactly. But I'm pretty sure the Xunta spent way too much money on that...

The Ermita, like the whole of Rabé de las Calzadas, has a special place in my heart.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Murder in the cathedral, the martyrdom of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, killed by four knights. Becket was declared a saint two years later.
Q15300-VER.jpg
A detail from an altarpiece(?) displayed in Astorga's cathedral museum.

King Henry II was blamed for ordering the assassination. Henry's daughter Eleanor of England, Queen of Castile, was instrumental in bringing the veneration of Saint Thomas to Spain, perhaps as a way of clearing her father's name.

The full piece:
Q15400-VER.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
fin del mundo (El Viento)

Por eso tengo que volver
a tantos sitios venideros
para encontrarme conmigo
y examinarme sin cesar,
sin más testigo que la luna
y luego silbar de alegría
pisando piedras y terrones,
sin más tarea que existir,
sin más familia que el camino.

Pablo Neruda -

"And that's why I have to go back
to so many places in the future,
there to find myself
and constantly examine myself
with no witness but the moon
and then whistle with joy.
ambling over rocks and clods of earth,
with no task but to live,
with no family but the road [camino]."

Pablo Neruda (translator unknown)

I've been absent from the forum for a few days. Things are getting hectic: after infinite postponements and disappointments, we are finally set to fly to Spain via UK in April to start the via de la Lana and we have about a month to get ready as well as all the other stuff we'd arranged to do before that, but we are really excited about it, especially as we will be hospis on El Burgo Ranero second half of April. Feel free to drop in and say hello, I'm the one with the beard.

Photo is of Finisterra harbour between sunset and moonrise, sometime in October 2012.
DSCN1807.JPG

fin del mundo (El Viento)

Por eso tengo que volver
a tantos sitios venideros
para encontrarme conmigo
y examinarme sin cesar,
sin más testigo que la luna
y luego silbar de alegría
pisando piedras y terrones,
sin más tarea que existir,
sin más familia que el camino.

Pablo Neruda -

"And that's why I have to go back
to so many places in the future,
there to find myself
and constantly examine myself
with no witness but the moon
and then whistle with joy.
ambling over rocks and clods of earth,
with no task but to live,
with no family but the road [camino]."

Pablo Neruda (translator unknown)

I've been absent from the forum for a few days. Things are getting hectic: after infinite postponements and disappointments, we are finally set to fly to Spain via UK in April to start the via de la Lana and we have about a month to get ready as well as all the other stuff we'd arranged to do before that, but we are really excited about it, especially as we will be hospis on El Burgo Ranero second half of April. Feel free to drop in and say hello, I'm the one with the beard.

Photo is of Finisterra harbour between sunset and moonrise, sometime in October 2012.
View attachment 119730
dick bird,
Thank you for sharing this lovely picture and your good news with your forum friends.
May you have a safe and wonder-filled camino and hospi stay.
Here in France near Aurillac there is, indeed, another spot known as the end of the world!

Montsalvy, sign.jpg

Last edited:

€83,-
Camino Frances
Foncebadon
Monte Irago albergue
blizzard

photo taken March 5, 2009

Foncebadon 05.03.2009.jpg

I took this photo through the icy Monte Irago albergue window as proof of the 2009 blizzard which obliterated the nearby landscape in deep snow. For more from my diary/blog re this unexpected storm which would last 3 days see this earlier post.

Last edited:

€149,-
Repost from September 2020. Aother foodpicture, it is afterall weekend...

Churros in Miño on the Camino Ingles. Churreria Bello on a busy marketday. Got myself the last place at the bar. Pre Covid times!

Churros.jpg

Wonder if bars in Galicia still have the fifty percent capacity rule for sitting at the bar due to Covid?

€46,-
Just before the New Year seems a fine time to start a new thread. For those just joining us, the routine is to post a single photo per day from any camino.. If you can let us know where it is and which year, and if you are running out of images. repetition is quite OK.. Short stories are fun too, but not obligatory - part of what I so enjoy here is that other people's photos bring up memories, which keeps the thread endlessly interesting.

Such a blessing.
Gratitude for hospies everywhere.
Here is Luis, checking us in at the wonderful municipal in Beasain on the Vasco in 2018. Endless caritas there too:
View attachment 115494

These are amazing. I wouldn't have gotten much farther for a while..
On Camino del Norte in May of 2013 my 2 friends and I spent the night in Comillas. We planned arriving early in the day so we could visit the exquisite El Capricho by the world renowned Catalán architect Antoní Gaudí. When we saw Gaudí's statue sitting in the patio contemplating his finished work, we couldn't help but join him to do the same!
It’s hard not to be impressed by this magnificent and unique building, a true gem not to be missed if you happen to be in Comillas!

Attachments

• IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 8AD4983C-1B3C-4D34-AC24-BD38FDDBA5FD_1_105_c.jpeg
    8AD4983C-1B3C-4D34-AC24-BD38FDDBA5FD_1_105_c.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Repost from September 2020. Aother foodpicture, it is afterall weekend...

Churros in Miño on the Camino Ingles. Churreria Bello on a busy marketday. Got myself the last place at the bar. Pre Covid times!

View attachment 119776

Wonder if bars in Galicia still have the fifty percent capacity rule for sitting at the bar due to Covid?
Nothing better than churros con chocolate on a cool rainy day to lift up your spirits:)

Camino Frances
Trinidad de Arre
Marist monastery
albergue dòor

photo taken October 15, 2011

boots,Trinidad de Arre.jpg

During easier, happier times these boots were airing in the autumn sunshine outside the Marist monastery albergue....Now I wonder what has changed over the years.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back