• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Just before the New Year seems a fine time to start a new thread. For those just joining us, the routine is to post a single photo per day from any camino.. If you can let us know where it is and which year, and if you are running out of images. repetition is quite OK.. Short stories are fun too, but not obligatory - part of what I so enjoy here is that other people's photos bring up memories, which keeps the thread endlessly interesting.
the heartfelt camino caritas was endless.
Such a blessing.
Gratitude for hospies everywhere.
Here is Luis, checking us in at the wonderful municipal in Beasain on the Vasco in 2018. Endless caritas there too:
20190519_144802.jpg

Flamingos on the sand banks of the Rio Tejo
These are amazing. I wouldn't have gotten much farther for a while..

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Two for the price of one! Yeah, I know, we cheat sometimes on this thread. In my defence, they are actually the same shot, one digitally adjusted to compensate for under-exposure, though actually I prefer the unedited original. I got very excited as I was looking at this shot thinking I had discovered previously unrecorded horseshoe arches in Santiago Cathedral, but like so many wonderful things, it was just a trick of the light as I discovered when I zoomed in on them. Taken on 8 June 2012.

DSCN1857 (2).JPGDSCN1857.JPG

Last edited:
Two for the price of one! Yeah, I know, we cheat sometimes on this thread. In my defence, they are actually the same shot, one digitally adjusted to compensate for under-exposure, though actually I prefer the unedited original. I got very excited as I was looking at this shot thinking I had discovered previously unrecorded horseshoe arches in Santiago Cathedral, but like so many wonderful things, it was just a trick of the light as I discovered when I zoomed in on them. Taken on 8 June 2021.

View attachment 115495View attachment 115496
Great shots but ? June, 2021.

Thanks Dick, couldn't understand how you had managed to be there in 2021 ;) We were very envious if you had!!!!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Repetition is allowed. Great This shot taken near the bullring in Pamplona was irresistible, given the words ingrained in my memory from my father: pigs might fly 😁 He never did mention flying bulls though...
Taken October this year, on a short visit to Pamplona. Not actually a camino, but I walked the legs off myself for a few days in and around the city and environs.
1640671970728.jpeg

Antwerpen.jpg

Not on a Spanish Camino but a Camino nevertheless. In Antwerp. Via Brabantica.Detail of the plaque of the St Julianusgasthuis.
I knew the place only because of the gorgeous art gallery that is there but what a history behind it.
Founded in 1305 as a gasthuis ( guesthouse ) for " poor people in transit " .
Till today there is a Brotherhood of twelve people who hold the old tradition of serving twelve people a meal on Maundy Thursday ( even if this seems somewhat paternalistic in these modern times ).

From 2012 the Flemish Confraternity of St James together with the Antwerp board of tourism opened again an albergue for pilgrims. Four pilgrims maximum can stay the night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got very excited as I was looking at this shot thinking I had discovered previously unrecorded horseshoe arches in Santiago Cathedral
Oh! I see what you mean. I had to go back to my own pics to double check. And somehow I never noticed the details of the now unglazed rose window, because without the color it fades into the background. Pity. I would love to see what the cathedral looked like before the Baroque accretions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My first photo on my first Camino. St Patricks day 2013. Arrived in Pamplona very late on the 16th and planned to start walking next day. We heard that in Pamplona, St Patricks day was celebrated almost as well as in Ireland so my son and I being good Irishmen decided to put it off for another day and had a great time celebrating with the locals

Attachments

• 2013-03-17 12.23.14.jpg
    2013-03-17 12.23.14.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 149
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
General rule of thumb……don’t try to eat anything that is bigger than your head, it will surely bite you back !
Galicia June 2019

Attachments

• IMG_20190611_1328464.jpg
    IMG_20190611_1328464.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 159
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
12 May 2014, Logroño, Marcelino Lobato, “El Peregrino Pasante”

Attachments

• 40C1CC64-64F6-48DC-B1A6-E24F6BF4C774.jpeg
    40C1CC64-64F6-48DC-B1A6-E24F6BF4C774.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • F5B3CD37-7C23-457E-824F-21F6768B8114.jpeg
    F5B3CD37-7C23-457E-824F-21F6768B8114.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
If you walk upstream from SJPP, you come to the Pont d'Eyheraberry and just opposite the lovely Maison Donamaria. That couple of hundred metres brings a wonderful calm and peacefulness, compared to the centre of town. It was a great start to My first Camino Frances, May 2016. I had already decided to use the Valcarlos route for it's historical connections. The first person I met, next morning, was at Valcarlos, an Italian, then two French lady cyclists, by the fuente, at the start of the Ibaneta. Then no one else until Roncesvalles. It was a magical start.

credencial.jpgIMG_20160526_195750340.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The municipal albergue in Zubiri. In this age of smart phones I imagine that the Internet room with individual computer stations has been re-purposed since Sept. 7, 2012. There was quite a line-up later that afternoon! My first (and only) experience with a communal shower was here. A big room with shower-heads along the wall.

DSC04584.jpeg

Saint Jean Pied de Port
rue de La Citadelle
first light

photo taken February 6, 2007

first light, Saint Jean Pied de Port.jpg

Just after dawn in a cold mist I set off alone walking west, thrilled to be moving towards new adventures on this 3rd Camino Frances but my first in winter. As always I would follow the Valcarlos alternate route.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Following on from the Do's and Don't from Pamplona - the locals on the Route Napoleon politely ask to take your garbage (and dead animals) home with you and not litter the countryside.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 85
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't ask me, I only know Lantz was either the start or the end point of this day! I would still love to tackle the whole Baztan, and more so after reading Nuala's account, but this was a day in itself. We did a return trip, so I guess the start and end point was Lantz.The end of the day held a reward for my walking companion, as she discovered a tiny cemetery with a tomb that marked the remains of members of her maternal forebears.

Attachments

• 1640764148676.jpeg
    1640764148676.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 84
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
towards Valcarlos
photo taken February 6, 2007

towards Valcarlos.jpg

The earth was frozen and snow topped nearby mountains as I began to walk westward through the cold early morning mist towards Valcarlos, Spain, on the CF alternate route.
The town’s name means Charles’ valley; it is said to be the area where during the 8th c. Charlemagne and his army rested following a nearby defeat.

Still in Portugal. Approaching Spain. 2013. Or am I misremembering? How I hate that excuse! However, in this context, someone will be sure to kindly correct me.
View attachment 115582
Kirkie,
You were in the Fortress at Valenca do Minho, Portugal, and would walk down the camino towards the trestle International Bridge to cross into Spain at Tui. The weather was perfect for your great shot. Thanks for your memory.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Had any of you met this feathered friend along the way?
Yup. And I was glad for the fence.
He or she was actually not so friendly.
Or at least they didn't like me getting near the fence to get a photo without the chain-link in the way. The second pic was taken mid-lunge. It had its intended effect - I jumped back, right quick, as I was taking the photo.
IMG_8576.JPGIMG_8579.JPG

My wonderful host in a tiny village near to Belorado on the Frances (May 2019) showing me the secrets of cooking a perfect tortilla de patatas. So cool how she uses a large dinner plate to turn the tortilla to ensure a perfect cook !

Attachments

• IMG_20190515_1952104.jpg
    IMG_20190515_1952104.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20190515_1952276.jpg
    IMG_20190515_1952276.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 63
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A mono shot of the summit of the Ibaneta Pass. It was a perfect walking day. Beautiful weather, gentle breeze, so not too hot and almost no people. I quite like people, but there are times I am grateful for their absence. CF May 2016.

Ibaneta Pass summit.jpg

A familiar one here, Iglesia de San Martin in Fromista, taken in Autumn 2014.
Have to love the azure blue skies on the Meseta.
Happy new year to all.

fromista1.jpg.

€149,-
nearing Espinal
photo taken October 17, 2014

Nearing Espinal 17.10.2014 .jpg

Walking downhill amidst dense vegetation near Espinal the Camino Frances path appeared easy whilst looking toward that glorious sunlight.

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."
..Marcus Aurelius

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That well known spot on Alto del Perdon was the highlight of that day, in July 2017. A nice break before a rocky descent.
View attachment 115518
One of my all-time favourite photos of newly-acquainted Pilgrims at Alto del Perdon overlooking the steep descent towards Uterga, 23 April 2013

Attachments

• Alto del Perdon.jpg
    Alto del Perdon.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 75
I'm taking this opportunity to wish all of you a healthy and happy 2022. We're about 7 and half hours from seeing in the New Year here DownUnder. Just love seeing all the photos being posted. Forgive me for posting a 2nd image today but I wonder to whom these boots belonged. Taken 19 April 2013 just before crossing the Puente de la Magdalena into Pamplona

Attachments

• Discarded boots.jpg
    Discarded boots.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm taking this opportunity to wish all of you a healthy and happy 2022. We're about 7 and half hours from seeing in the New Year here DownUnder. Just love seeing all the photos being posted. Forgive me for posting a 2nd image today but I wonder to whom these boots belonged. Taken 19 April 2013 just before crossing the Puente de la Magdalena into Pamplona
Thanks for New Year wishes, and i offer what the reply is here: Many Happy Returns. I think your photo is a photo essay - the words will be different as each one looks, and wonders...

Entering Larrasoana, after a good walk from Roncesvalles, with lunch at Zubiri. Stayed at the Albergue St Nicolas, very warm welcome and a fun evening, with a major Pyrenees thunderstorm crashing around outside.
Thank you to all the regular posters on this thread, your pictures give me lots of happy memories and hopefully inspiration for the future. We can hope.
Have a very Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year.
IMG_20160528_153209255.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Happy New Year down under. 🥳 We still have 14 hours to go before we see 2022.
I believe those boots now belong to the Camino. God Bless. 😊

€83,-
Camino Frances
Cardenuela

photo taken 0ctober 19, 2004

towards Cardenuela.jpg

Alone on that endless path beneath the vast dome of an immense sky I sensed that this was, indeed, my way and all was and would be good on this my first camino.

...Today on the first day of 2022 I yearn to sense that this new year will also be good.

What a nice message, over a door in Hospital de Orbigo! One I want to wish you all on this last night/first day (depending on where you are) of this year. May 2022 bring you peace, health and happiness.
content%3A%2F%2Fcom.microsoft.office.outlook.fileprovider%2Foutlookfile%2Fdata%2Fdata%2Fcom.m...jpeg

Overlooking the main town square of Viana, Spain from the exquisite stone paved area surrounding the church of Santa Maria. April 2013 Camino Frances

Attachments

• Viana stone paving.jpg
    Viana stone paving.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 115705

Art on a plate.Somewhere in Burgos. Finished the Camino Vasco Interior / 2019.
Sabine I'm wondering whether that might be the same restaurant that served this "arty" vertical skewered meat. It was called La Comidilla de San Lorenzo in "downtown" Burgos nearby the Norte y Londres Hotel where we stayed for a couple of nights early May 2013. It seems the restaurant still operates.

Attachments

• Burgos dinner skewer.jpg
    Burgos dinner skewer.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 53
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
October 2019. Leaving Baamonde the Camino del Norte follows a very old pathway. I can never resist bridges and I scrambled through the brush to get this shot.

Attachments

• 73B22A55-C91C-4D52-AAF4-3618F9FF9837.jpeg
    73B22A55-C91C-4D52-AAF4-3618F9FF9837.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 67
This thread has had a good number of new posters recently and some have submitted thumbnails that have the square format with white text on the bottom giving information about the picture. There is nothing wrong about submitting these; they are valid thumbnails. I do want to mention though that in this format the submitted picture gets its thumbnail distorted some. If you would like to get your thumbnail to look like the ones without the text added the following post by @Koidream shows how to submit thumbnail pictures without the text. The picture attached there is a thumbnail that needs expansion.

The 3rd photo "survivor" contains a lone little poppy flower. This little late bloomer was surviving the August heat, a huge walking traffic and bicycles. I saluted the little flower with all my respect and gave my water. I think of this flower often, especially during this pandemic. May you all be like this brave little flower and stay strong!

Attachments

• CF 2018 Disturbed and upset!.jpg
    CF 2018 Disturbed and upset!.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 60
  • CF 20180823 Caminno Band .jpg
    CF 20180823 Caminno Band .jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
  • CF 20180826 Survivor.jpg
    CF 20180826 Survivor.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
July 12, 2021. Placing my stones at Cruz de Ferro! Most magical moment of my Camino! The day was cold and rainy but I had a window of 20 minutes with the most gorgeous sunrise to start my day with placing my stones at Cruz de Ferro!! 🙏🏻A8FA8067-D66B-4F64-8445-0A16D6F2F67F.jpegD6A4394F-7E29-4CB0-B476-0E8C58C840E7.jpeg

Attachments

• FDD7789E-B6F3-4F74-9FC4-B7A57D824E87.png
    FDD7789E-B6F3-4F74-9FC4-B7A57D824E87.png
    504.3 KB · Views: 43
Leaving Santarem via Porto do Sol, the site of the original Roman forum and the Moorish Citadel, and out through Puerta de Sao Tiago to head down steeply on a woodland path to the rail line at Riberia de Santarem. Note the arrow on the light post. CP, April, 2016.
P4273495.JPG

Saint Jean Pied de Port
55 rue de la Citadelle

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port  13.10.15.jpg

photo taken October 13, 2015

Now that 2022 has begun it is time for beginning anew. Crossing this threshold at the famous red door of the municipal albergue always began my new camino adventures; it was the entrance to another way of life, the camino way.

For me in retrospect the CF could only begin at
Saint Jean Pied de Port, the picturesque Basque mountain town in the French Pyrenees.

Last edited:
May you all be like this brave little flower and stay strong!
Not to mention like the crayfish stranded out of water. I'd be disturbed and upset, too. I hope she found water.
And may we all be patient and resilient!.
Definitely, more like the flower.

The portal into the old part of SJPP from the North. @mspath's red door is on the right, just on the other side of the gate.
IMG_7210.JPG

€83,-
A bit late to be properly seasonal, but I chanced across it and couldn't resist. Oddly enough, it was taken in September, 2019 in Léon, practically opposite the San Marcos monastery.

View attachment 115693
Also Léon:
Q08000-HOR-01.jpeg
Also late. I could have wished you all a Merry (not Blue) Christmas. Anyway, best wishes for you in 2022.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have the same photo. The only difference is my pack is in the frame.
I wish I hadn’t missed the top of the arch, though. The street must have been very narrow. Or I was careless!

Not to mention like the crayfish stranded out of water. I'd be disturbed and upset, too. I hope she found water.
And may we all be patient and resilient!.
Definitely, more like the flower.

The portal into the old part of SJPP from the North. @mspath's red door is on the right, just on the other side of the gate.
View attachment 115786
The crayfish was not stranded. It was a willful outing with a purpose. There was a little stream right next to where the photo was taken. The crayfish was out walking around actively looking for some breakfast. I had never seen a crayfish doing that before. She was disturbed when I approached and got upset when I started taking photos. She was showing her lethal weapon to threaten me.

Attachments

• Crayfish 1st View.jpg
    Crayfish 1st View.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 31
  • Crayfish Hunting.jpg
    Crayfish Hunting.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 23
  • Crayfish Hunting.mp4
    36.2 MB
  • Crayfish Upset.jpg
    Crayfish Upset.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Crayfish's Home.jpg
    Crayfish's Home.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 48

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back