• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camino Frances
Valcarlos
ex municipal albergue

photos taken February 6, 2007

Valcarlos 2007.jpg

After crossing the old French/Spanish border I reached Valcarlos and stopped at what was then the municipal albergue. Set between two public lavatories on the municipal playground the dorm space was small but clean with a tiny heater and plenty of hot water for a welcome shower.

Valcarlos interior 2007.jpg

I was the only pilgrim. Snuggling in my sleeping bag I went to sleep early in order to keep warm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances
Valcarlos
ex municipal albergue

photos taken February 6, 2007

View attachment 129831

After crossing the old French/Spanish border I reached Valcarlos and stopped at what was then the municipal albergue. Set between two public lavatories on the municipal playground the dorm space was small but clean with a tiny heater and plenty of hot water for a welcome shower.

View attachment 129832

I was the only pilgrim. Snuggling in my sleeping bag I went to sleep early in order to keep warm.

February 2014, I too was the only pilgrim.

Slept beautifully.

February 2014, I too was the only pilgrim.

Slept beautifully.
nycwalking,
Solitude is one of the many joys of walking in winter. Your 2014 sleep would have been in the new well heated municipal albergue. I, too, stayed there in later CFs.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A live one (sorry large file as on mobile). Yesterday morning on the lovely walk out of Negreira on the finesterra.
Clouded over later which was much welcomed as its a 30km plus stage.

Quick question, does anyone know if the opening hours for Casa Ivar on a holiday (this Monday) are the same as regular Mondays or would it be the same as a Sunday. I should have asked him when i met him, i think he is busy with emails, hence the question. Gracias

IMG_20220721_082114.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
CF Sept 3, 2013 then CF April 16, 2016
Things change quickly on the Camino, embrace it and keep walking. 😎
B7BC6FE0-0E60-4171-A654-9BD8958E2EF0.jpeg
6CF2F03A-BC84-433E-A33F-BEAABA56B16D.jpeg
I noticed changes, some subtle during 2016 and some not so subtle during 2019. I feel so blessed to have walking all three Camino's but especially in 2013 before the drastic changes started happening. I can only dream of how it was during the years before 2013. (Heavy Sigh)

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Roncesvalles

photo taken February 7, 2007

Roncesvalles 2007.JPG

The air was very cold. Since thin snow and sleet covered the ground I had climbed 5 hours from Valcarlos on the verges of route N135 to the famous Roncesvalles monastery. Suddenly a tourist bus pulled up. Within the heated interior several fur clad passengers quickly snapped a photo before I, shivering, slowly moved from their sight.

Coming in to La Puebla de Arganzon on the Vasco. My OSMand map says that's Rio Zadorra Ibaia, which in this area is the boundary between Castilla y Leon and Euskadi: This side, the Pays Vasco. The other side, Castilla y Leon.
View media item 9777
keep walking.
Indeed. And walk as @mspath does, in the winter - or on more remote ways.
But what is that thing in the second photo? A bench and wifi hotspot? Only half joking.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Coming in to La Puebla de Arganzon on the Vasco. My OSMand map says that's Rio Zadorra Ibaia, which in this area is the boundary between Castilla y Leon and Euskadi: This side, the Pays Vasco. The other side, Castilla y Leon.
View media item 9777

Indeed. And walk as @mspath does, in the winter - or on more remote ways.
But what is that thing in the second photo? A bench and wifi hotspot? Only half joking.
It looks like something similar at the end of the Quays in Dublin that has a solar charging element to it, so your half joke is not too far off the mark.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Calzadilla de la Cueza. CF 2011. When there was only one hostal / bar ( this one ) and one albergue ( operated by the same owner ) . After the 17k. walk from Carrion de los Condes.
Rest!

View attachment 129907
Sabine,
After the long slog from Carrion de los Condes like you I too always enjoyed eating at that same hostal/bar and some times even seeing the moon.

Last edited:
It looks like something similar at the end of the Quays in Dublin that has a solar charging element to it, so your half joke is not too far off the mark.

“…solar charging element” ?? You lost me, Kirki.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Frances
Larrosoana municipal albergue

photo taken February 9, 2007, dawn

Larrosoana.JPG

After walking 26 km down from Roncesvalles I stayed in this municipal albergue. No shop/resto open so 2 pilgrims and I pooled slim rations for "dinner". Cheese and sausage tasted great with German black bread, biscuits and mugs of hot tea!

Last edited:
You lost me, Kirki.
A place pilgrims to recharge their phones? I don't know. But it wouldn't be the first time - people have thought of more ridiculous things.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

“…solar charging element” ?? You lost me, Kirki.
There was a photo of a wooden slatted contraption in an earlier post which looks to be the same as one on a patch of grass outside the last pub in Dublin before you hit the open sea, on the right side of the quays, at Ringsend.
edit: not sure if you recharge yourself or your device...😈

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
west of Larrosoana
Arga River

photo taken February 9, 2007, 11 am

on the Arga.JPG

Roiling river water and thick slippery mud framed my fear. Even today as I look at this shot I start to quiver reliving the memory. Never again in wet weather would I dare walk this exact section along the CF bordering the south side of the Arga River.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Camino Frances
Trinidad de Arre

photo taken February 9, 2007, 13.00

Trinidad de Arre 2007.jpg

Another long slog in the cold sunshine led to this Marist monastery scenically located on the Arre riverbank; it also had been an important pilgrim refuge throughout the ages. Accommodation was in a refitted barn within a simple monastery garden.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Argonese
Muruzábal
Iglesia de Santa Maria de Eunate

photo taken February 10, 2007

2007, Eunate.jpg

Seemingly lost in the countryside this small, octagonal, Romanesque structure is extraordinary.
The photo is a memento of my earliest glimpse of the site the first time I walked here. On the right in the view is an albergue. Both the church and albergue were closed that day. However I promised myself that I would return and sleep there someday.
... And so I did stay in 2008, 2009, 2011 and continued to visit on later caminos. I shall always treasure these times at Eunate.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
History in the stones. Mason's marks, ancient graffiti, game boards on benches - this one, a house mark on Rua Nova in Santiago. I always look for them when I'm there. August 7, 2014.

house mark.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
Puente La Reina - Gares
Calle del Crucifijio

photo taken February 11, 2007

Calle del Crucifijio.JPG

After Sunday mass members of the congregation enjoyed the winter sunshine on the Calle del Crucifijo in the private/public space between the open door of the Convento del Crucifijio and the closed door of the Iglesia del Crucifijo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@mspath Your posts about winter Caminos are very intriguing. I surely would like to talk with you, pick your brain about walking a winter CF. Would you be willing to help me, pass on your experiences? Gear, starting point etc... any advice will be much appreciated. 😊

Last edited:
@mspath Your posts about winter Caminos are very intriguing. I surely would like to talk with you, pick your brain about walking a winter CF. Would you be willing to help me, pass on your experiences? Gear, starting point etc... any advice will be much appreciated. 😊
FourSeasons,

Please read this post and look at this post to see what worked for me. My kit list/tips is from the viewpoint of another woman who often walked in late autumn/winter. Perhaps you might find it useful for your planning.

Avoiding any mob scene was one of the reasons I always enjoyed walking in late autumn/winter

In the happy, easier past years winter was the best time to walk the CF for me. Little was hectic; without the hordes of summer all had time to share. For personal commentary regarding walking several years at this time browse my Camino Gazetteer.

....In retrospect much was close to perfect. If I could I would do it again, but now at 83 I hike long distance only in my memory.

Last edited:
FourSeasons,

Please read this post and look at this post to see what worked for me. My kit list/tips is from the viewpoint of another woman who often walked in late autumn/winter. Perhaps you might find it useful for your planning.

Avoiding any mob scene was one of the reasons I always enjoyed walking in late autumn/winter

In the happy, easier past years winter was the best time to walk the CF for me. Little was hectic; without the hordes of summer all had time to share. For personal commentary regarding walking several years at this time browse my Camino Gazetteer.

....In retrospect much was close to perfect. If I could I would do it again, but now at 83 I hike long distance only in my memory.
This is great, thank you. :) What beautiful memories you have made. God Bless you sweetheart and what a treasure you are. ❤️ I am reading the Gazetteer now.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
FourSeasons,

To update your memory: I took a memory walk this morning. I walked down to the roundabout in Burlada and kept left, turning in to the camino that goes via the Portal de Francia. A little visit to the Cathedral: some silent moments of prayer for you, @mspath, and the countless others who have sat or knelt there in thanksgiving. I will post one photo here, and the others will be in the where did you walk locally thread, so as not to abuse this thread!
Look carefully, you can just see the pinnacle of the Cathedral in the middle of th photo.
B76AAF38-856F-4E0A-AF11-1EE7C90C260C.jpeg

Esposende. Monument to the Men of the Sea

Esposende - Monument to the Men of the Sea 20220611.jpg

The statue, made by the brothers, Bom Pastor, was inaugurated in
December of 1997. It is made up of 5 figures - 4 men and one woman - and the keel of a vessel. It symbolizes the struggle of the population who live off the sea and also of those who built the needed vessels to go out to sea.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
CF Sept 2013 between Villar De Mazarife and Astorga. I had no cell phone, only the Brierly Guide and was in awe how a yellow arrow could guide me over 500 miles. There were a couple of times I had to stop and wait for it to appear and it did, they always did, as if by magic. 😊
View attachment 130264
FourSeasons,
Thanks for sharing such a happy example of camino "magic" on the way to Astorga! Here is another chance encounter with a most helpful guide in the same area.

Last edited:
FourSeasons,
Thanks for sharing such a happy example of camino "magic" on the way to Astorga! Here is another chance encounter with a most helpful guide in the same area.
Amazing! Dogs truly are our best friends. As I was walking towards Ponferrada Sept 27, 2013, I seemed to have lost the yellow arrow but was accompanied by twin brothers who appeared out of no where, German bothers who walked on each side of me what seemed like hours. Finally an arrow so I said goodbye to those two angels, those German Shepard angels. I wish I had a picture of them but the battery ran out on my camera at Cruz de Ferro.
(picture is a repeat) 😊
F0AFA7C4-98B4-4C86-922C-55F06DFC5C14.jpeg

Camino Frances
Torres del Rio

photo taken February 14, 2007

Torres del Rio.jpg

Beneath a winter sky I took this view of Torres del Rio encircled by the rio Linares and riverside vegetation. On the extreme right amidst other rooftops rises the tower of the octagonal Romanesque church, Santo Sepulcro. In the distant middle view soars the tower of the Iglesia San Andres. Further west in the far distant middle view the camino path towards Viana will cross the gully, Mataburros/Mule Killer!

Camino Frances
Hontanos

photo taken February 26, 2007

Hontanas 26 02 2007.JPG

Upon arrival Hontanos appeared deserted; the air was bitter cold and no one was about. Recalling that the door of the municipal albergue, where I had stayed in 2004, was usually kept ajar in case any passing pilgrim needed solace I thankfully entered, signed the register, turned on the heat, and relaxed.

... Today this photo frames another winter camino memory.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Saint Jean Pied de Port
55 rue de La Citadelle
municipal albergue

photo taken January 16, 2008

55 rue de La Citadelle, sign.jpg

Reading this sign on the municipal albergue door began a new camino adventure, my 4th CF. Pondering the route and days to come. I was very content to be back once more in this special place where serendipity prevailed.

€46,-
Ruta do Mar on April 30th after having arrived in Valdoviño we went for a walk to the Laguna de A Frouxeira an ecosystem of great value to a large number of birds. Here is some information about this important wetland:

IMG_4977.jpegP1020656.JPGP1020657.JPG

Camino Frances
Estella
50 La Rua
municipal albergue

photo taken February 3, 2009

Estella, municipal albergue.jpg

Projecting from the municipal albergue facade this large painted shell was easy to spot from afar. It was always a relief to see for then I knew I could stop hiking for rest of the day.

Last edited:
One of the hardest sections of the Invierno for me was about to begin - along the ridge under these windmills. It wasn't the windmills. It was because I knew every step was going away from my destination and when I got to the place at the bottom of the hill where the camino crossed the autovia, I would make a U-turn and have to trudge all those steps and more back in the other direction. It was easy walking. But sometimes this mind is not my friend. 😂
View media item 9707
I was sorely tempted to take the left turn in the near distance but there were lots of arrows essentially saying, "You'd better not even think of going this way!!!" Looking at a map after the fact I have a plan, because next time I probably will.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Camino Frances
Carrión de los Condes
Refugio Santa Clara

photo taken October 25, 2004

Carrión de los Condes, 2004 .jpg

Located on the CF at the eastern entrance to Carrión de los Condes the pilgrim Refugio Santa Clara is part of the historic Real Monasterio Santa Clara; St Francis of Assisi during his early 13th c. pilgrimage to Santiago is said to have stopped in this monastery.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
Samos
Mosteiro de San Xulián

photo taken March 13, 2009

Samos, 2009.jpg

Sections of this Benedictine monastery complex are 9th c. , but the majority was built in the 16th-17th centuries. Much, however, had to be rebuilt after a disasterous 1951 fire. Areas can be visited on a guided tour or when attending religious services.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cabo Finisterre
photograph taken December 9, 2011

Cabo Finisterre .jpg

I walked alone the final path along the sea towards kilometer 0. After 1000 kms and nine weeks my 7th CF ended. Silently I gave heartfelt thanks for all that had been and for all those that had helped to make it so.

On Ruta do Mar, April 2022. Strolling along Xardíns do Almirante Moreno in Cedeira I came across this old, rusty disconnected pay phone! A blast from the past - seems like yesterday!!!

View attachment 130550
Potes on the Lebaniego - Vadiniense.
The telephone is from the same era, but the cabin is older.
That day there was a quick painting contest in the village, which is why the painter is in the photo.

Potes 20200905.jpg

Cabo Finisterre
photograph taken December 9, 2011

View attachment 130644

I walked alone the final path along the sea towards kilometer 0. After 1000 kms and nine weeks my 7th CF ended. Silently I gave heartfelt thanks for all that had been and for all those that had helped to make it so.

March 2016.

FB_IMG_1659773373824.jpg

€149,-

€60,-
Once upon a time people's horses needed water as much or more than they did.
Fuente at the Ermita de Nuestra Señora del Valle near Monasterio de Rodilla on the Via de Bayona, 2019.
View attachment 130717

See what I missed by sitting ( and not moving) at the bench at the entrance...😊

Camino Frances
near Roncesvalles

photo taken October 12, 2011

near Roncevalles.jpg

This roadside statue of the Virgin was photograhed when I walked the N-135 route down from the Ibaneta pass towards Roncesvalles. What a wonderful relief it was to stop and sit here to offer silent thanks for my safe arrival after completing the 5 hour slog through the pass from Valcarlos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back