• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So nice to have a whole new set of photos to share. I know...they aren't Spain. But the Via Monastica is a lovely camino nonetheless.

Aprés le deluge. We were soaked down to our shoes by the time a front had passed and we stopped for cake & coffee at this cafe (on the left) next an old mill. Bliss.
20220407_103411.jpg

Vilar de Donas
Iglesia de San Salvador
photo taken November 13, 2004

Iglesia de San Salvador 13.11.2004.jpg

East of Palas de Rei near Portos on the CF the 12th c. Iglesia de San Salvador was the official burial place of the Chevaliers de Santiago for centuries.

Extraordinary iron fittings support the wooden panels of the great entrance door; within delicate 15th c. frescos surround tombs topped with recumbent effigies of the knights.

...Almost hidden in the verdant countryside San Salvador de Donas was, and hopefully still is, a special site filled with eternal peace .

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
towards Finisterre
near Corcubion
photo taken December 9, 2011

view from Corcurbion, 2011     .jpg

Alone after dawn I walked the final kilometers of my 7th camino. Wayside views were shore, scrub, and endless sea. The wind was brutal and the surf rough, but it was glorious to just be in the salty air.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
towards Villenauxe-la-Grande, France
photo taken November 22, 2008

near Villenauxe-la-Grande.JPG

Autumn 2008 I set out across the hills
from our farmhouse on the Marne River aiming for Vézelay.
Walking towards Villenauxe-la-Grande in the Aube the cold was bitter but the sun was bright on the verges of local roads through wood and open farmland.

This day has eventually arrived! We thank you all for this wonderful thread.
Tomorrow we leave home to set off on another Camino adventure. We fly into Barcelona on Wednesday 4th May and start walking from St Jean on Monday 9th May. Won't be posting anymore photos after this one but will look in on this thread regularly. You have all helped to keep our hope up that one day we would be back on the Camino again. Thank you. We are planning to stay in Spain for our full 90 days and walk about 68 of those days, we will, of course, walk on our rest days as well!! We are really looking forward to being back in Spain, and France for three nights. Won't believe we are actually doing this until we are on Spanish soil! and hopefully COVID free after all the travelling!
Buen Camino,
Anne and Pat

Thought we would finish with this lovely sunset in Muxia, June 2018, at the end of our long walk from Irun.
20180623_220118.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Anne&Pat : I wish you both more than the best for your next flight and Camino.
it is comforting to read that you will both make use of the full capacity of your 90 days . Gives you all the time to acclimatise with the travelling.

Really happy to read your news. I can almost feel the anticipation and butterflies myself!

Ultreïa!

Last edited:
Anne & Pat,
What happy news it is to learn that you will soon be off again to Spain!
May all your days be wonder-filled.
Do take care and stay safe.
Looking forward to reading your new posts as you move along.

Godspeed and, as always, Ultreia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Road to Briviesca.jpg

Onwards to Briviesca.
Camino Vasco Interior 2019.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro
distant landscape

photo taken November 8, 2004

view from O Cebreiro, 2004.JPG

The first time I arrived at O Cebreiro the weather was cold, but glorious with blue sky and bright sun. Thrilled, I shot this view towards distant Ponferrada to show the landscape which day after day had been so tenaciously crossed....It remains a memento of an intense effort

Thrilled, I shot this view towards distant Ponferrada to show the landscape which day after day had been so tenaciously crossed....It remains a memento of an intense effort
Yes, taking in that view is a moment.
We walk from farther than we can see, and go farther than we can see. But step by step it's possible.

The view backwards from Alto de Perdon is the first big hit of that on the Francés. Goose bumps...
View media item 6933

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On my way back to the Monastery of San Martin after a few sherrys, i paused for a time in the Plaza de Quintana de vivos. I had the square almost to myself and could explore the east face of the cathedral close up.

SDC2.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
39 rue de La Citadelle
Pilgrim Office sign

photo taken October 3, 2005

Saint Jean Pied de Port , 2005.jpg

This photo was taken on the first day of my 2nd camino....Whatever the season les Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques staffing the Pilgrim Office were always welcoming and helpful.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
CdN July 15, 2019 (still) 😁 on the way to Castro Urdiales.
View attachment 124209

I adore your pictures of the Norte. Pity that I 'm such a wuss when it comes to heights and "canyontype" landscapes.
I do not mind steep hills but it is the idea that I could fall off and drop in some bushes ten meter below that freaks me out...

Last edited:
I adore your pictures of the Norte. Pity that I 'm such a wuss when it comes to heights and "canyontype" landscapes.
I do not mind steep hills but it the idea that I could fall off and drop in some bushes ten meter below freaks me out...
Thank you @SabineP I was never in danger of falling off anything, I’m not that brave. 😁 My photos may look as though I put myself in peril and at any moment could have fallen into the abis but as you can see here I was on a very wide and sturdy path. Sure there are a few cliffs along the Norte none of which I set foot on. Go, go try out del Norte, you’d be pleasantly surprised.
“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” - Christopher Robin
06D31286-690A-410F-B466-40BF55F0400A.jpeg

Camino Frances
nearing San Juan de Ortega

photo taken February 23, 2007

to San Juan de Ortega.JPG

During my 3rd camino on a cold and overcast winter day walking on the CF as it emerged from the dense forest I could at last glimpse San Juan de Ortega monastery.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did but I had time issues on my second Ingles. This shortcut made it possible for me to finish in five days. Not stopping in Neda.
I'd given myself nine full days for this Camino and Muxía, so I could afford to be a fundamentalist this time!

Muruzábal
Ermita de Santa María de Eunate
albergue
"tea"

photo taken January 22, 2008

Eunate.jpg

On my 4th camino the albergue adjacent to the Santa Maria de Eunate church located near the junction of the Frances+Aragones caminos had just opened for the season.

The French hospitalero, invited the fellow I was walking with and me to and join him and 2 local friends for late afternoon "tea". The ambiance was wonderful as we ate delicious goodies and shared much camino gossip.

,,,,Now unfortunately the albergue is permantly closed.

Last edited:
August 2, 2015. Português da Costa. Harvesting percebes (gooseneck barnacles) before Póvoa de Varzim.

IMG_5754.jpeg

I have posted this before but here again is a wonderful story about the Gonzáles sisters - the Barnacle Queens of the seaside.

August 2, 2015. Português da Costa. Harvesting percebes (gooseneck barnacles) before Póvoa de Varzim.

View attachment 124380

I have posted this before but here again is a wonderful story about the Gonzáles sisters - the Barnacle Queens of the seaside.
I have not read it before, so thank you for the fascinating article. My first lesson of the day!

The RAVEL! Hard on the feet...
Indeed. I liked it though, as much because of the varied landscapes between Tienen and Namur - first rolling with fruit trees, then past Jodoigne it became a bit Meseta-like, then more rolling and wooded.

And it was direct. No zigging and zagging to add kms!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino de Frances
Alto de Mostelares

photo taken February 18, 2009

on top.jpg

This was a perfect moment during my 5th CF at age 70. The climb had been steep but the view from the top was worth it. Behind me to the east was the path taken from Castrojeriz and ahead to the west lay the path to take.

Last edited:
My mood today calls for this selfie from Jakobsweg, Germany 2017. After four years with zero Camino life I am finally somewhat hopeful that finally, later this month, I might make it on the Way (via Jacobi+ the beginning of Via Gebennensis) for a week or so. However, my body is currently recovering from Covid19 (had it very mild, but still) and my head and heart are very concerned over the war in Europe. So there, I have strongly conflicted, mixed feelings. Life is not simpe, therefore I want to post this selfie, it's not all happy, wonderful steps through rose gardens, not in life, not on the camino. THANK you for listening.

Attachments

• image0 (6).jpeg
    image0 (6).jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 19
Thank your kind words Reija, we are living in such challenging times and it can be very difficult to maintain perspective, balance and an open heart. I hope this re-ignites for you on your upcoming camino.
I am mindful to post a quote from an inspiring and timely book from two teachers of mine, ~Michelle & Joel Levey Living in Balance: A Mindful Guide for Thriving in a Complex World
"The good news is that, as your sense of balance grows,
you'll find it easier to discover the clarity in the midst of confusion,
the stillness at the center of motion,
peace in the midst of turbulence,
openness when faced with uncertainty,
and the love present behind fear and anger.
What it requires is learning to dance with the innumerable paradoxes of your life while anchoring yourself in an extraordinary suppleness and flexibility that will provide the stability necessary to actually find balance in your life."
I also am attaching a photo of the amazing stained glass windows in the cathedral at Leon (obviously it just hints at their majesty)

Attachments

• leon2.jpg
    leon2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 34
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In honour of the wonderful news that the long awaited albergue is about to open in this building - the Bishop's Palace, attached to the the 12th century Romanesque church of Diomondi on the Invierno. And... a view of a beautiful door on the opposite side of the church. June 17, 2019

diomondi.jpeg Church Diomondi.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello to my Camino friends. Today is a great day! Today is Easter Sunday, and on Easter Sunday in 2019, while in the lovely town of O Cebreiro on the Camino Frances, I took one of the most memorable photos I have ever taken (see below). The experience and the symbolism were very moving. And that is not the only reason today is a great day! Later tonight I will board a plane for Porto, where the Camino Portuguese awaits! YES! I am returning, and … I am not returning alone! I am over the moon that my oldest granddaughter will accompany me!
UPDATE: It happened, and it happened successfully! My granddaughter and I arrived in SDC from the Camino Portugués on May 1st. My good Camino amigo Thomas and his wife arrived from the Csmino del Norte on May 2nd. The four of us enjoyed the evening Pilgrim mass in the Cathedral, then went out to an entertaining and chatty dinner, and closed the restaurant! May all your Caminos be so memorable!

UPDATE: It happened, and it happened successfully! My granddaughter and I arrived in SDC from the Camino Portugués on May 1st. My good Camino amigo Thomas and his wife arrived from the Csmino del Norte on May 2nd. The four of us enjoyed the evening Pilgrim mass in the Cathedral, then went out to an entertaining and chatty dinner, and closed the restaurant! May all your Caminos be so memorable!

Woohoo @Bill905 : wonderful news! Seems you had a splendid Camino.
Looking forward to your pictures!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A foggy morning passing a massive sunflower field just before the ruins of the Monasterio S. Felix de Oca on the Frances. September 18, 2012. And... evidence of the many people who couldn't resist leaving their mark on seed heads along the perimeter - some even farther into the field! Would have loved to see this area in full bloom!

DSC05039 (2).jpeg

Camino Frances
near San Juan de Ortega
sunrise

photo taken November 6, 2013

towards San Juan de Ortega .jpg

Alone on my 9th CF as the November sun rose I felt that all was and would be good. ...Perhaps such secular transcendence sensed while walking is akin to what runners call "the zone". Neither easy, nor impossible it simply is; thus, thankfully I continued.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro

photo taken November 28, 2014

O Cebreiro 28.11.2014.jpg

Through mist and heavy rain I had climbed to the mystic/mythic mountain hamlet of O Cebreiro. Resting beneath the broad arch of the church porch all appeared sepia.
I was very thankful to have arrived at this beloved place once again.
....Sadly this 10th camino would be my last visit.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
55 rue de la Citadelle

photo taken October 13, 2015

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port  13.10. 2015.jpg

This famous red door of the municipal albergue is an entrance to another way of life, the camino way; here began my 11th CF which would be truncated later near Azofra due to a serious fall.

€83,-
It’s me again, on the Lana in Alcala de Jucar, picturesque but soulless. So far a great Camino and a big shout out to all the associations and people along the way who have helped and supported us, in particular, Pedro Antonio in Alatoz.View attachment 124956

Nothig much happening in Alcala de Jucar? Or a weird vibe overall?
Anyway, good to see you on the road!

Woohoo @Bill905 : wonderful news! Seems you had a splendid Camino.
Looking forward to your pictures!
Thank you SabineP. In the town of Fao we went inside a very small, very old church to investigate, and met a small group of about 6 women and men who were cleaning up, and who had just finished putting together an incredible religious display using nothing but flower petals.

65F1B9BB-E118-42D7-A474-EC84E13D7B21.jpeg

night train/ Paris to Bayonne
photo taken October 14, 2014

Night train 14.11.2014.jpg

I often rode the train de nuit/night train with couchettes/sleepers from Paris/Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne. It was magical to hear/feel the carriages move through the night while asleep.

In recent years these night trains were cancelled. However now for July/August 2022 French railways offer a summer night train service connecting Paris/Gare Austerlitz with Lourdes, Bayonne and Hendaye.

...Perhaps I'll book a ticket!!

Last edited:
night train/ Paris to Bayonne
photo taken October 14, 2014

View attachment 125004

I often rode the train de nuit/night train with couchettes/sleepers from Paris/Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne. It was magical to hear/feel the carriages move through the night while asleep.

In recent years these night trains were cancelled. However now for July/August 2022 French railways offer a summer night train service connecting Paris/Gare Austerlitz with Lourdes, Bayonne and Hendaye.

...Perhaps I'll book a ticket!!
Do! Why not! Yourself, and husband! A day lolling - not likely, you are far too resourceful for that! - would be such a source of joy for you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SW from Bayonne, France
seen from TER local train

photo taken October 15, 2014

on route to SJPdP.jpg

I always enjoyed seeing the rolling verdant landscape while riding the then two-car local TER train from Bayonne to the Basque town of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, named such because it is at the foot of a pass crossing the Pyrenees.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, in Tui, Spain, it was recently the feast day of San Telmo and the town was celebrating! The plaza and local streets were decked out, music was playing, people were dancing in the streets. But, despite it being a feast of San Telmo, that didn't stop the town from using various Camino themed decorations. I took this picture in the evening, right outside the albergue at which we were staying.

D84AC9CE-EA62-4F99-B882-1CD1F5B90BCC.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@FourSeasons ( by the way, you would be very much at home on an Irish summer's day!) and @mspath, we reached Zubiri at the close of our first day walking. The plan we had was this: my companion's father drove us to Roncesvalles, from whence we began walking. In Zubiri he picked us up and the following morning returned us to the same point. That system worked for three days walking. On the fourth morning we set off from Puente la Reina and took our chances with everyone else. The first albergue experience in Estella was hilarious, the beds were so close together! My companion was a youngish European guy who fortunately used earphones so he was oblivious to everyone and everything else. Let me just say I edged my way towards my neighbour on the other side of the bunk!!! It was a lovely albergue, candles, soft music, a great courtyard for hanging up laundry, and the visit to the church... thanks for the memory. 🙏

I meant to say my albergue companion, the guy in the very adjoining bunk!

Last edited by a moderator:

€60,-
So nice to have a whole new set of photos to share. I know...they aren't Spain. But the Via Monastica is a lovely camino nonetheless.

Aprés le deluge. We were soaked down to our shoes by the time a front had passed and we stopped for cake & coffee at this cafe (on the left) next an old mill. Bliss.
View attachment 123774
Looks like the Netherlands . Is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back