• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On April 27 in Pontevedra, we visited the church of Santa Maria la Mayor de Pontevedra, reputed to be the first Roman Catholic Church in Spain, and built over 1,000 years ago. There were fantastic carvings, statues, altars, etc. and the two little old ladies running the museum and tower ticket booth were so cute! They wanted to show us everything and it was clear they loved that church. We paid our 1 € to tour the museum and go up the tower. Here is a shot of the tower's spiral staircase!

5429AB74-D982-4196-8B97-13FE5BE0DF26.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seen along the Via Monastica, not far from the Belgian border with Holland. The shell told us only 2500 or so kms to Santiago, but the rock's significance is a mystery. Actually the whole placement of this is a bit of a mystery, on the edge of a vast moorland. There has to be a story, but I have no idea what it is.
20220408_141445.jpg

Camino Frances
Burgos
Cathedral de Santa Maria

photo taken February 24, 2007

Burgos.JPG

In this window view into the two-story 13th c. cloister garden the simplicity of stone, grass and sky was a welcome aesthetic contrast to the lavish Gothic riches/richness displayed elsewhere within the cathedral.

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Burgos
Cathedral de Santa Maria

photo taken February 24, 2007

View attachment 125351

In this window view into the two-story 13th c. cloister garden the simplicity of stone, grass and sky was a welcome aesthetic contrast to the lavish Gothic riches/richness displayed elsewhere within the cathedral.
There are times when the contrast between the two is very uncomfortable.

The presence of a credit card machine to accept donations within the walls of León's cathedral, for example.

IMG_7946.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are times when the contrast between the two is very uncomfortable.

The presence of a credit card machine to accept donations within the walls of León's cathedral, for example.

View attachment 125389
John, I do understand the discomfort. However, one aspect of the old order is that it is old. A formidable and far-seeing French woman of my acquaintance is often quoted as saying (post French Revolution) 'TImes change and we must change with them'.
Some people recoil from being asked to donate at all. I see it this way: if a donation will take care of the past for the future, I am happy to contribute my little bit. It is not paying for a church service, as church services are not a part of what is offered to tourists. Pilgrims, who do not participate in church services, are technically tourists.
Oops, sorry for being long-winded here!

John, I do understand the discomfort. However, one aspect of the old order is that it is old. A formidable and far-seeing French woman of my acquaintance is often quoted as saying (post French Revolution) 'TImes change and we must change with them'.
Some people recoil from being asked to donate at all. I see it this way: if a donation will take care of the past for the future, I am happy to contribute my little bit. It is not paying for a church service, as church services are not a part of what is offered to tourists. Pilgrims, who do not participate in church services, are technically tourists.
Oops, sorry for being long-winded here!
Oh, I understand the need for donations to keep these magnificent places open for us to savour as we walk.

The weird thing about León's cathedral was that you could only pay cash to enter, but the credit card terminal was available once you were inside for donations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances, Valcarlos route
Arnéguy
markers

photo taken October 15, 2014

Arneguy, marker.jpg

At Arnéguy on the French/Spanish border this stelle depicting chevaliers/ caballeros framed a nearby sign pointing to the Spanish continuation of the CF towards Valcarlos, Ibaneta, and Orreaga/Roncesvalles.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The harrowing (those blind corners :oops:) but beautiful last stretch into A Rúa on the Invierno. June 12, 2019.
Oh! Yes. Unforgettable.
The cars were flying around those corners and there was nowhere to go but waaaay down.
I didn't try to take photos, but you captured it perfectly.

CdN July 17, 2019. Arrived in Islares at the campground to find only two bungalows with two beds each remaining. I met on the trail near the sea three Italian ladies. One was willing to share a bugalow with me. Once again a bit of Camino magic. After checking in we went for a bite to eat. Very good. 😊
A2765833-CB3A-4779-A000-1BA4C04E5BE5.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Today , exactly three years ago. On the Vasco Interior, from Astigarraga to Tolosa. @VNwalking will remember where this town is. Was the town with the escalator...;).

A breakfast for champions : vegetarians and non veggies unite! :cool:
Oh! That was a superb breakfast, I must say.
This was the place, on a very grey and drizzly morning (I already posted the escalator photo and won't further embarrass the subject with it).
20190518_110528.jpg

While walking the Via Podiensis, a plaque that we often see, both in churches and on town monuments, is one that remembers those who have fought and died for France in different wars. What is especially poignant however, and makes one pause and reflect, is how they are not referred to as soldiers, or citizens, but as ‘our children’.

ACB060B4-DCDB-4B53-B410-E956257BB226.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Albergue.jpgBeasain.jpg

Two today. Exactly three years ago . Camino Vasco Interior.
Albergue donativo in Beasain.
The warmest welcome I received on all my caminos.
True caritas.
Volunteers from the " Hospitaleros Voluntarios de la Asociación de Guipúzcoa ".

Please give in abundance in donativos when you are in the possibility to give. If not financially, not to worry , there are so many other ways to give and show your appreciation.

Ponte Sarela
leaving Santiago de Compostela

photo taken March 29, 2007

Lugar Ponte Sarela.jpg

After I had crossed the tiny pedestrian Ponte Sarela over the river the narrow camino towards Finisterre began at this rather ad hoc sign/gate.

gate, Ponte Sarela.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello to my Camino friends. Today is a great day! Today is Easter Sunday, and on Easter Sunday in 2019, while in the lovely town of O Cebreiro on the Camino Frances, I took one of the most memorable photos I have ever taken (see below). The experience and the symbolism were very moving. And that is not the only reason today is a great day! Later tonight I will board a plane for Porto, where the Camino Portuguese awaits! YES! I am returning, and … I am not returning alone! I am over the moon that my oldest granddaughter will accompany me! I am looking forward to sharing with her, and passing along the spirit of the Camino. Just a few days ago she wrote her last exam to finish her first year of university, and is very excited to be walking the Camino with her “Da”. I can’t think of a better way to contemplate one’s situation and future than with a Camino. And there is yet another reason why today is a great day … when I was walking the CF in 2019, I was with 2 other pilgrims that I met while walking. We have kept in touch since then. One of these good friends is the person who rushed over to me as I sat resting in O Cebreiro and urged me to “Come quickly to the church!” where I was able to take this fantastic Easter Morning picture. I have recently learned that he and his wife are currently walking the Camino del Norte and may arrive in Santiago around the same time as we will, on May 1st. Despite the fact that it is a little far off, and perhaps difficult to predict exactly when they, and we, will arrive in Santiago, pilgrims reading this forum know how these things work out. The timing is just right, and as is sometimes said, it’s just too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence! It is a happy day! Easter blessings to all!

View attachment 122944
Great photo Bill905 and what a beautiful sentiment ... walking with your granddaughter. How I wish I could have shared that sacred path with my "Da". Maybe one day with my son. You may still be on your Camino Portugues and I sincerely hope it provides ... or has provided some beautiful moments.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This day has eventually arrived! We thank you all for this wonderful thread.
Tomorrow we leave home to set off on another Camino adventure. We fly into Barcelona on Wednesday 4th May and start walking from St Jean on Monday 9th May. Won't be posting anymore photos after this one but will look in on this thread regularly. You have all helped to keep our hope up that one day we would be back on the Camino again. Thank you. We are planning to stay in Spain for our full 90 days and walk about 68 of those days, we will, of course, walk on our rest days as well!! We are really looking forward to being back in Spain, and France for three nights. Won't believe we are actually doing this until we are on Spanish soil! and hopefully COVID free after all the travelling!
Buen Camino,
Anne and Pat

Thought we would finish with this lovely sunset in Muxia, June 2018, at the end of our long walk from Irun.
View attachment 123977
Safe travels Anne & Pat ... fly the Aussie flag on your next path. I'm envious :)

Attachments

• P1170031.JPG
    P1170031.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
May 1, 2022 - When I was last here in 2019 much of the Cathedral was shut down for renovation and repair in preparation for the Holy Year. It was so nice to experience the Cathedral without all the scaffolding.

B1B13B10-3628-4853-AD8D-6B5CD613608C.jpeg

CF End of September, 2013 not long after Hospital de Orbigo. I’m not 100% positive on location. On my first Camino I used a pocket Canon Camera so photos aren’t that great and no location. But I’m so grateful I have these first Camino photos. ☺️
View attachment 126139
FourSeasons, This seems to be the location of your photo. ...We are so lucky to enjoy pictures filled with memories. Thanks for sharing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
“Dear pilgrims, there is no tampon, but a sticker. You find those in the toilette, behind the church, left side of the mirror. “ Via Gebennensis, Designy, France, last week. Yes, we found the stickers.

Attachments

• 59FAD0F7-806B-4FC9-A2D4-FA5DF6A0F11F.jpeg
    59FAD0F7-806B-4FC9-A2D4-FA5DF6A0F11F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 17
CF September 25, 2013. Leaving Murias de Rechivaldo after the amazing sunrise I came across this:
5C7CBE3A-4E83-4660-BB80-75FE80B60EC8.jpeg
Funny, my notes about my stay at the Muni:
Bad host, mean. He locked the kitchen, would not let me use a fork for my left over spaghetti I had in a baggie so I had to use my fingers. This was after I had seen him getting into the kitchen, only then did I ask for a fork, he said no. 🤨
The only restaurant I found open served me old patatas. I took a few bites then realized it was rancid, blah! Needless to say I left it on the table. I recall passing through this town rather quickly on my 2019 Camino heading to Rabanal. 🏃🏻‍♀️ Run Forrest, Run!! 🤣

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Three years ago this day. Miranda de Ebro.
An amateuristic attempt from me to " clean " my trousers with some leftover water before we entered a rather fancy resto 😉. Camino Vasco Interior.
Should not have been worried. The people at the resto did not blink an eye and were very friendly. And the food was excellent!

FB_IMG_1653415602588.jpg

Last edited:
Camino Portuguese
photo taken December 2011

Backward arrow.jpg

Following the CP south from Santiago to the Portuguese border at Tui/Valença do Minho I walked backward to Portugal. Thus in reverse of the norm on this marker painted on the pavement I walked from the arrow point towards the shell.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
municipal albergue

photo taken February 5, 2007

Saint Jean Pied de Port (1).JPG

When I was the sole pilgrim one cold winter night beginning my 3rd CF ever caring/helpful Mme Jeannine, the hospitalera, provided a hot supper and shared a long chat As always her heartfelt camino caritas was boundless.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am going to sneak in with a memory, not a photo. The memory is situated on the stairs (former area for arriving pilgrims), and in the room where I was questioned by a Frenchman, as to my motivation for having walked my camino. It was actually very important to me in that moment, the description: pilgrimage. I had not consciously expressed it like that, but I actually needed the Compostela as my witness to what my effort had become. For me.
In another thread I said I do not need to do that again. Of course I don't! There is no retracing the exact same path. No matter how many times I might walk into Santiago, it can never be as the first one was.
Back to this thread: such a joy to see what others have seen, without contestation!

Camino Frances
Estella
Calle Rúa

photo taken October 25, 2013

Estella, Calle Rua, at night  25.10.2013.jpg

This main street as you enter Estella on the CF traverses an artisanal neighborhood on the left bank of the Rio Ega. Due to the ecclesiatical/commercial importance of the Camino or Rúa as it was called locally Estella mainly developed in the 12-13th c.

€60,-
Three pictures today because it is a serie . This day three years ago, the last pictures of Irun ( Vasco Interior ).

After we finished in Burgos I took a bus back to Irun / Spain ( hotel there ) and then walked ( like I did at the start ) over the bridge ( Rio Bidasoa ) to French Hendaye where I took the TGV back home.

Irun.jpg Rio Bidasoa.jpg Hendaye.jpg

Last edited:

€83,-
Camino Frances
west of Rabé de las Calzadas
rainbow

photo taken November 9, 2012

rainbow, leaving Rabé de las Calzadas.jpg

"..The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched."

Henry David Thoreau,
Walden, 1854

€46,-
route to Finisterre/ Muxia
Negreira

photo taken March 30, 2007

Negreira, dawn.jpg

Dawn outside the Negreira Xunta albergue was very rosy and not a sign of good weather to come. Indeed it rained all day as I splashed onward towards Olveiroa through many tiny hamlets and muddy pastures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back