• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Frances
west of Azofra
Rollo

photo taken February 19, 2007

Rollo, west of Azofra 19.02.07.jpg

West of Azofra I wondered how many pilgrims had passed this post, known as a Rollo which marks an ancient territorial boundary.

Thus conscious to be treading where innumerable feet had trod I was doubly surprised that morning as the camino climbed to a golf course at Cirueña and then crossed a new but vacant upmarket housing estate. Tempora mutantur!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Between O Vicedo and Ladrido we went by Acantilados de Loiba or also known as Acantilados de O Picón - which are some fascinating cliffs. Here too, you can find a few least-known beaches strung along the foot of these spectacular cliffs.

View attachment 128675
Great photo @Peregrina 2013
Cryptic message for @VNwalking: John Lennon's singing in my head -"I just had to look..." so checked the map and it's Ollo de Sapo, well at least associated formations. Bucket list.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Galician bagpiper statue in Santa Marta de Ortigueira. The bagpipe is always present in celebrations and parades in Galicia and The Escola de Gaitas founded in 1975 right after Franco's death was also the creator in 1978 of the International Festival of the Celtic World of Ortigueira.

IMG_4839.jpeg

Camino Frances
Astorga
Bishop's Palace
interior

photos taken March 10, 2007

Astoria, Bishop's Palace interior.jpg

Designed from 1889 by Antonio Gaudi the Bishop's Palace, now is a museum known as the Palacio de Gaudi. Some interior spaces contain original furnishings and distinctive tiles.

special wall tiles.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On Ruta do Mar, on the 29th of April, 2022. I have to ask you to forgive for posting more than one photo today, but San André de Teixido is unique with a pilgrimage route of its own! It is a village like no other and, of course, incredibly picturesque being in the mountains with a great view of the Cantábrico. The third picture shows the parish house and you can see the local priest as he steps out, and the last one has the historical information about Teixido.

FullSizeRender.jpegIMG_4845.jpegIMG_4850.jpegIMG_4872.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lunch at St. André de Teixido on 29/04/2022. Here we were introduced to Percebes, known as goose barnacles. They are considered a Galician delicacy and found out they are among the most exclusive seafood in Europe! Also had my very favorite seafood along the Ruta do Mar, Zamburiñas (small scallops).

IMG_4886.jpegP1020613.JPG

Camino Frances
near Cardenuela Riopico

photo taken October 19, 2004

towards Cardenuela.jpg

In chill autumnal rain I slowly walked across Olmos de Atapuerca. Looking towards Villaval, Cardenuela Riopico and Burgos on the distant horizon, the rolling greenery was broken only by the giant curve of the dusty trail. All was reduced to basics.

Alone on that seemingly endless gravel path beneath the vast dome of an immense sky I sensed that special moment when everything 'clicked' realizing that this was, indeed, my way and that all was and would be good.

€60,-
Lunch at St. André de Teixido on 29/04/2022. Here we were introduced to Percebes, known as goose barnacles. They are considered a Galician delicacy and found out they are among the most exclusive seafood in Europe! Also had my very favorite seafood along the Ruta do Mar, Zamburiñas (small scallops).

View attachment 128899View attachment 128900

You will most probably know how brave the people are who catch these delicacies!

For the forummembers who want to know more about this type of fishing...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will most probably know how brave the people are who catch these delicacies!

For the forummembers who want to know more about this type of fishing...
Sabine, thank you for posting this information explaining the formidable and life threatening risks these shellfish gatherers (mostly women!) undertake to get percebes!

San André de Teixido is an enchanting village with a fascinating legend and unique traditions. Here is some information about it (Spanish and English):

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
Villamayor de Monjardin
private albergue

photos taken October 26, 2013

Villamayor de Monjardin, albergue.jpg

West of Estella in Villamayor de Monjardin this private albergue, named after the town, was very comfortable; each hyper-clean, small dorm had a near-by shower and loo. The view west from "my" balcony showed the autumnal route ahead.

view from Villamayor albergue.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Frances
northwest of Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias
and east of San Justo de la Vega

photo taken November 21, 2014

nw of Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias.jpg

Each successive time I hiked past this fellow his clothes and kit had changed. This shot was during my last full CF. I wonder what he is wearing now.

Camino Frances
Estella
calle Curtidores

photo taken October 24, 2014

shop, calle Curtidores, Estella .jpg

Near the camino entrance to Estella shells and other tourist trinkets were for sale at this shop on the street named Curtidores after the Tanners who during the past would have used the river Ega water in processing hides.

When I passed in September of 2013 he had a white cowboy hat, a white scarf with a yellow ribbon/scarf tied around his staff. I'm happy to see this pilgrim is well cared for. 😎 I don't have any pictures of him from 2019, I don't know how I missed it. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I did pass through that area in the dark but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it and no doubt it would have scared the living tar out of me.🤣
12AD2C44-B0B9-4AE4-9F44-0583C7CFB13F.jpeg8053DD63-BE8C-4762-895B-82601860CD92.jpeg

Last edited:
Lavadoiro in Cedeira. 29th of April 2022. I inserted 3 pictures of this because it'll give you a better perspective and some information about it.

The explanation says:

Here, the women of Cedeira worked, talked, laughed and sang.
This meeting space is a living memory of our people (of who we are).
Be careful of it. Respect your heritage.

IMG_4937.jpegIMG_4934.jpegIMG_4935.jpeg

Last edited:
Early evening in Boadilla del Camino with the entrance to the Albergue En el Camino in the centre and the 15th century Rollo de Justicia on the right. September 23, 2012

2012-09-23 14.36.05.jpeg

€60,-

€60,-
Camino Frances
leaving Navarette
marker

photo taken October 28, 2015

marker, Navarette cemetery.jpg

This contemporary marker/tablet depicting two pilgrim basics, a water gourd and staff, is located on the entrance wall of the Navarette cemetery. On the west side of town the entrance of the cemetery earlier repurposed/reused the ruins of a medieval pilgrim hostel originally located on the east of the town

Camino Frances
leaving Navarette
marker

View attachment 129247

This contemporary marker/tablet depicting two pilgrim basics, a water gourd and staff, is located on the entrance wall of the Navarette cemetery. On the west side of town the entrance of the cemetery earlier repurposed/reused the ruins of a medieval pilgrim hostel originally located on the east of the town

Gorgeous in its simplicity.

I spotted the same one in Santa Olalla de Bureba on the Vasco Interior in 2019.

Screenshot_20220710-075229_Facebook.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
leaving Navarette
marker

View attachment 129247

I just love your selections from all of your caminos, @mspath. Due to my hopeless filing, I have misplaced a great many photos, so it is a pleasure to be nurtured by your gift to us all in the forum.
All others, also with your contributions I appreciate them very much. Maybe soon, I will have a few more to add, when I have some days around Pamplona before my duty spell in Zabaldika. 🐾

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Burgos
cathedral museum
reliquary

photo taken October 20, 2004

Burgis, reliquary 2004.jpg

Within the cathedral museum is this mid-15th c. reliquary. Roughly 30cm. high, clad in vermeil/ gold plate on silver, Saint James wears a pilgrim hat complete with shell atop his delightfully precise curls. Sainthood is depicted by the flat halo behind his head. He grips his pilgrim staff and from one shoulder hangs a tiny traveling bag known as a scrip also decorated with shells.

...I still fondly recall seeing this exquisite figure for the first time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Carrión de los Condes
Iglesia de Santiago

photo taken November 14, 2012

Carrión de los Condes.jpg

The western facade of the Iglesia de Santiago built mid-12th c. is a splendid example of Romanesque style. Christ sits in the middle of a broad frieze beneath the roof eaves surrounded by symbols of the four Evangels flanked by the Apostles. The other facades and much of the interior have been rebuilt/repurposed over time.

€60,-
Camino Frances
Léon
calle Cien Doncellas.

photo taken March 7, 2007

Léon.jpg

This is an handsome use of repurposed historic sculptural fragments set into a more recent wall on one of the narrow streets north of the cathedral cloister.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
La Virgen del Camino
windows

photo taken February 27, 2009

La Virgen del Camino.jpg

Deep yellow windows light the contemporary church, La Basilica de La Virgen del Camino, located 7 km beyond Léon on the CF. The basilica was designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, in the Brutalist style. The town is named for a 15th c. figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ; today that figure is displayed within the basilica.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Josep Monserrat,
This is a great shot of an historic replica. Thanks for posting.
In Viana do Castelo I've always found the history of this ship and North American salt cod to be a fascinating account of renovation and repurpose of an actual ship.
Thank you

Camino Frances
near Calzada de Coto
sign

photo taken November 9, 2011

near Calzada de Coto.jpg

This confusing sign shows 2 ways to get to Mansillas de las Mulas after leaving Sahagun. The CF passes through Bercianos del Real Camino, El Burgo Ranero and Religios. The alternate route accesses Calzada del Coto and continues through Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
San Nicolas del Real Camino
Casa Barrunta

photo taken November 15, 2014

San Nicolas de Camino, restaurant.jpg

Casa Barrunta is a very pleasant bar/restaurante at in San Nicolas del Real Camino, roughly 7 km east of Sahagun on the CF. I happily ate there on all my caminos. Their daily menu was always delicious and a great value. An eclectic mix of varied mementos provided the background ambiance while tbe staff were VERY pilgrim friendly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€46,-
Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
rue de La Citadelle

photo taken February 6, 2007

first light, Saint Jean Pied de Port.jpg

Just after dawn in a cold mist I set off alone walking west, thrilled to be moving towards new adventures on this 3rd CF but my first in winter. As always I would follow the Valcarlos alternate route

30th April, 2022 on Ruta do Mar. As we were walking leaving Cedeira in the morning this sweet lady called us out from her window. She asked for help with a new mobile phone her daughter had just given her because she had no idea how to set it up.We were happy to oblige and by the time we left she was able to make a call to her daughter:) It was a great experience and a left us with a good feeling!

3f6bdda3-85a9-4c0d-a5f8-84b1842d6b85.jpg

Camino Frances
Outside Villacazar, en route to Carrion de Los Condes
25 May 2022

villacazar_senor_jacques.jpg

I dreamt I was in a field of poppies last night, and woke up this morning to find that my phone had chosen this picture (another favorite from my walk this spring) as one of today's Featured Photos.
A nice reminder of a perfectly beautiful day on the Camino.

Last edited:

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back