• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
CF August 9, 2019 on the way down from O Cebreiro. Does anyone know what kind of flower/fruit this is? It's beautiful and interesting looking. Its nectar must be sweet as the bee stopped to take it in. Is it a fig or prickly pear?
View attachment 130756View attachment 130755
Would love to say i found it, but no. Prickly pear seem to be attached to succulents, and your photo does not seem to be so attached... but then, I used a very superficial search!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
CF August 9, 2019 on the way down from O Cebreiro. Does anyone know what kind of flower/fruit this is? It's beautiful and interesting looking. Its nectar must be sweet as the bee stopped to take it in. Is it a fig or prickly pear, or?
View attachment 130756View attachment 130755
FourSeasons,
If your photo is stored in Google Photos tap it with Google Lens and an answer should appear.
Good luck and happy research.

FourSeasons,
If your photo is stored in Google Photos tap it with Google Lens and an answer should appear.
Good luck and happy research.
You are brilliant!! I only have my photos on my iPhone but I swiped up on the photo and there is a leaf icon that says Look Up-Plant. So, I did and it's a species of plant Musk thistle.
Carduus nutans, with the common names musk thistle, noddling thistle and nodding plumeless thistle, is a biennial plant in the daisy and sunflower family Asteraceae. It is native to regions of Eurpoe and Asia.
It’s pretty but quite thistley. 😬 Now we know. 🤣

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Help me - how did you get the leaf Icon? Yesterday I tried not very hard to find an identifier but it was going to cost me money and I said no thanks... I have an iphone and an ipad - what trick do I not know? Thanks in advance.

Help me - how did you get the leaf Icon? Yesterday I tried not very hard to find an identifier but it was going to cost me money and I said no thanks... I have an iphone and an ipad - what trick do I not know? Thanks in advance.
Okay let’s see if I can help. I have iPhone 10. Go to your photos on your phone, select the photo as to open it on the screen. Once the photo is the only thing on the screen, put your finger on the photo then swipe up. I never knew this feature was there. If you don’t see it you may need to do an update. Let me know what you find. 😁
6EF86B94-E98E-4381-A6A2-EF492B267802.jpeg
Click on the Look up - plant to see results.
3F6E4141-9E4F-421D-9D48-D6E3ACE6C1C7.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Okay let’s see if I can help. I have iPhone 10. Go to your photos on your phone, select the photo as to open it on the screen. Once the photo is the only thing on the screen, put your finger on the photo then swipe up. I never knew this feature was there. If you don’t see it you may need to do an update. Let me know what you find. 😁
View attachment 130780
View attachment 130781
My phone is an SE. So far, no luck, but I will try again another day, today will be full with this and that, and tomorrow, hopefully, flight without problems back home to Dublin.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bon voyage! Wheels up! ✈️ Make sure it’s a picture of a plant, hence the leaf. 😁
I asked my phone (how sad is that?!) if I could access name that plant and instead found this one, plantsnap. Smashing! I will enjoy using it. Thanks for passing on the idea! Here is one from where I am at this moment:
19135A88-2B24-4170-BC5E-3F7C70C9BCCB.png
And then I learned some more. They ask for money, or you can have 5 a day limit free!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The hulking (now removed) monument at Monte do Gozo that commemorated the 1989 visit of Pope John Paul II. August 11, 2013

View attachment 130812
Funny, when I walked to Santiago in October 2013, I never saw the monument however in 2019, it was bam, right there. I said to myself, how could I have missed this, it’s huge. So glad I got to spend some time on the “Hill of Joy”.

When I was there on August 15, 2019 it was roped off. Where did the move it to?
F1C3BAFB-AB45-415E-8944-260AAA462CBA.jpeg

Last edited:
Having finished the Ruta do Mar on the 1st of May, 2022 we stayed in Ferrol for 3 days before going on the Camino Inglés. We walked by the City Hall plaza and were delighted to sit and stay for a while because there was an international piano contest taking place and some participants came to play outdoors throughout the day!

I was so moved by this banner on the façade of City Hall with the names of all the people from Ferrol who were assassinated by the Franco's Nationalist forces.

IMG_5048.jpegIMG_5049.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
View attachment 130780
View attachment 130781

I'll be darn!! I learn something new every day!! This is fantastic, thank you, thank you!!!

I had to ask some locals for information when I saw this at the shipyard in Ferrol in May 2022 . This is what they told me: “The action was a protest by the workers objecting the elimination of positions by hanging the work clothes of those who actually lost their jobs. They were also protesting because the employees had not received their pay for 2 months, while the company claimed almost 5 million euros from the public shipyard.”

IMG_5034.jpegIMG_5033.jpeg

Once the photo is the only thing on the screen, put your finger on the photo then swipe up.
I tried it and found out that you don't have to put your finger on the photo and swipe. Just click on the on the bottom and it'll take you to the same screen to get the plant information:)
Thank you so much for sharing this bit of helpful information. Now I don't really need the app I have for plant identification, I'll just take a photo;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I tried it and found out that you don't have to put your finger on the photo and swipe. Just click on the on the bottom and it'll take you to the same screen to get the plant information:)
Thank you so much for sharing this bit of helpful information. Now I don't really need the app I have for plant identification, I'll just take a photo;)
Thank you too. 😁 This is great, who knew. Now we do. I almost bought an app, I’m glad I held out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
August 10, 2001. My first camino. Mom came along.

Albergue dorm Roncesvalles pic FB.

However, sello is all mine.

View attachment 130877View attachment 130878
Oh the pleasure of memories! I stayed there in 2004 also on my 1st. Located on route N135 opposite the Casa Sabrina hotel and installed in a buttressed windowless barnlike space it boasted superb tiled state of the art showers/toilets in the newly excavated basement – a great example of architectural adaptive reuse!

Sept 3, 2013, I was so excited to stay in this albergue where many a head did lie. It definitely set the mood. 😊
EDIT: I walked into Roncesvalles at 7:00pm (hobbled) and was fortunate enough to get one of the last bunks in this historical building. An evening/night I'll ever forget.

Do they still use this?
E04724E6-425E-485E-A0CF-5441A0074D22.jpeg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sept 3, 2013, I was so excited to stay in this albergue where many a head did lie. It definitely set the mood. 😊
EDIT: I walked into Roncesvalles at 7:00pm (hobbled) and was fortunate enough to get one of the last bunks in this historical building. An evening/night I'll ever forget.

Do they still use this?
View attachment 130919
Now it is used rarely for overflow.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 120505Doors on the Camino Francés. I loved all those old wooden doors!
My wife LOOOOVES the old doors. I dutifully provided her with daily pictures while walking Frances before we met in Santiago. Here are just some of them

Attachments

• FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_010622-074325.jpg
    FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_010622-074325.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_020622-121624.jpg
    FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_020622-121624.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 5
  • FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_040622-110115.jpg
    FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_040622-110115.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_050622-100213.jpg
    FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_050622-100213.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
I’m posting this photo today, of my first arrival in Santiago on October 17, 2015 because I’m about to set off again. Leaving home this Saturday and starting my Camino from Roncesvalles on March 22. This will be my third Camino Frances, sixth Camino in total.
I won’t post for a while, as I’ve pretty well run out of photos worth posting anyway, but if I get some good new photos I’ll post from the Camino!
Rowena

View attachment 120591

Wow?? First of all I can't believe how clean that sign is compared to August 2019. 😳

View attachment 120603
Secondly a big BUEN CAMINO to you. 👣😎 May the road rise up to meet you.
June 25, 2022

Attachments

• 1coxjov8qrjgl_l.jpg
    1coxjov8qrjgl_l.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 4usjsxbsu3ost_m_s.jpg
    4usjsxbsu3ost_m_s.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 16
August 10, 2001. My first camino. Mom came along.

Albergue dorm Roncesvalles pic FB.

However, sello is all mine.

View attachment 130877View attachment 130878

Wonderful memories for me too! Thank you so much for posting it.

Here is my best effort - a bad photo of a photo, taken in the Roncesvalles albergue in 2001, with dear friends who started with me on that first Camino.

IMG_3151.jpeg

May 2022 in Ferrol we visited the neighborhood of Canido to see some urban artistic renditions of Velázquez Las Meninas. There are paintings of all sizes, styles (some could be considered irreverent;-), and with all kinds of messages, throughout the streets of Canido. I took many pictures, and unfortunately I cannot share all of them, so here are a couple of mine and a link to some information about the route of Las Meninas - one of the things to see in Ferrol:)

Here is a link about to the original painting at the Prado Museum in Madrid:

IMG_5059.jpegIMG_5061.jpeg

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Alto de Perdon

photo taken October 17, 2011

Alto de Perdon 17.10.2011.jpg

Atop the Alto de Perdon a young Austrian fellow kindly took this photo. Before the dreaded slippery scree descent he formally offered his arm as if we were to waltz at the famed Viennese New Year's ball. Thankfully I accepted, held tight and we sashayed down in step!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances
Alto de Perdon

photo taken October 17, 2011

View attachment 130984

Atop the Alto de Perdon a young Austrian fellow kindly took this photo. Before the dreaded slippery scree descent he formally offered his arm as if we were to waltz at the famed Viennese New Year's ball. Thankfully I accepted, held tight and we sashayed down in step!
@mspath as soon as I saw your photo it brought this one to mind on Camino del Norte in May 2018 when my friend posed alongside the sculpture:)
IMG_2296.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Ferrol May 2022, this is a photo of the Concatedral San Julián de Ferrol (Co-Cathedral of San Julián de Ferrol) which dates to the mid-late 1700's. Pope John XXIII on March 9, 1959, elevated the parish church of San Julián de Ferrol to the category of co-cathedral of the Mindoniense-Ferrolense diocese therefore establishing second place among all those of the bishopric.

IMG_5101.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
near Camino Argonese
Muruzábal

photo taken October 18, 2011

Mound in landscape.jpg

Walking east from Muruzábal along the Calle la Cruz it was a suprise to see this ziggurat-like mound/mount in the field. How/when was it formed?

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Muruzábal
Santa Maria de Eunate

photo taken October 18, 2011

Santa Maria de Eunate .jpg

A path towards paradise.

At Santa Maria de Eunate one senses the eternal peace of paradise. Set within a natural bowl this thousand year old church is timeless.

October 2011 four other pilgrims and I stayed in the then open albergue. At an evening prayer service within the mystic church we offered thanks for our caminos, our lives and our loves. All was transcendent.
...May peace reign here another thousand years.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
CF Santiago, August 15, 2019. (I deleted my other entry for today.)
OMG - I nearly forgot I walked into Santiago after a very hard Camino three years ago today. I started in Irun on July 5. At Santander I switched to the CF to Fromista. I hurt my leg walking from Fromista to Sahagun (not in one stage 🤣) I rested three days then took a train to Leon for an additional seven days rest. Finally on my way to Santiago with no other issues, thank God. It was an amazing, beautiful and all around challenging Camino. No more challenging than Camino's one and two just in a different way. I was so happy and overjoyed to see many familiar, welcoming faces at the plaza. It was full of pilgrims when I arrived, I've never seen so many at one time, in one place. Well maybe after Sarria 🤣
B5A68D34-1C60-485F-ACF5-4AE578E4BE97.jpeg

CF Santiago, August 15, 2019. (I deleted my other entry for today.)
OMG - I nearly forgot I walked into Santiago after a very hard Camino three years ago today. I started in Irun on July 5. At Santander I switched to the CF to Fromista. I hurt my leg walking from Fromista to Sahagun (not in one stage 🤣) I rested three days then took a train to Leon for an additional seven days rest. Finally on my way to Santiago with no other issues, thank God. It was an amazing, beautiful and all around challenging Camino. No more challenging than Camino's one and two just in a different way. I was so happy and overjoyed to see many familiar, welcoming faces at the plaza. It was full of pilgrims when I arrived, I've never seen so many at one time, in one place. Well maybe after Sarria 🤣
View attachment 131111
Your shoes look too clean. Did you hover over the land?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your shoes look too clean. Did you hover over the land?
While on rest in Leon I purchased the shoes you see in the picture in post #1053. I think maybe the shoes I used for del Norte were part of my leg issue. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Not 100% sure, just a hunch. Maybe these were Camino magic shoes because there were a few times I felt like I was flying. Just as my license plate reveals. 🤣
F0A1AEC8-800A-4B45-A682-5D95BC90BEC8.jpeg

Last edited:
3rd of May, 2022 in Restaurante Marisquería O'Xantar in Ferrol, - a renowned seafood restaurant, we had an unforgettable gastronomical experience! Not only was the food and the wine perfect, but we also had the most professional waiter ever - Abel who was thrilled to select and suggest different dishes for us! It was a celebration for having finished the Ruta do Mar and Abel definitely made it memorable!

P1020724.JPGIMG_5093.jpeg

del Norte to CF July 19, 2019. What a day! I walked from Liendo to the Laredo bus station, hopped on a bus to Santander, caught a train (which I almost missed) to Fromista. Ah, back on the Frances. :) I wasn't sure how crowded it would be so I booked a room. Upon arrival I found the albergue had plenty of beds. Oh well, I'll enjoy the upgrade. Planning an early morning departure due to high heat. Welcome home. 😎🌻
02721334-1154-444A-BFC2-C6283C6074DB.jpeg12C2E2AC-CEA0-47C9-813F-AB48CAB37391.jpeg119B46A0-4902-4C4A-BB10-20E561C773C8.jpeg

Camino Frances
near Sansol

photo taken October 23, 2011

View attachment 131174

I wonder when, why and by whom these stone cairns were carefully errected along the CF near Sansol.
No idea as to specifics, but some pilgrims were already doing that in 2006, and no doubt before. I think of cairns and found this:

€46,-
Welcome view of Roncesvalles from the road, the end of a long day from SJPP via Valcarlos, March 2015. It was not yet possible to walk on the path down from Ibaneta - there was way too much snow. When I got there, I was stunned by all the pilgrims. Where had they come from? It wasn't SJPP. Only later did I learn that many people start at Roncesvalles. This was before booking was possible and it was first come, first served. I felt lucky to get a bed.
IMG_7250 (2).JPG

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May 2022 we visited the Arsenal de Ferrol which is a military base and arsenal of the Spanish Navy and during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) it served as a concentration camp for Republican prisoners. Now it holds the Shipbuilding Museum and the Naval Museum - not to miss if you find yourself in Ferrol!

IMG_5038.jpegIMG_5044.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
west of Ventosa

photo taken October 25, 2011

west of Ventosa .jpg

Late October west of Ventosa the sun was less brilliant and the clear sky was the pale blue of autumn/winter; a hat and gloves were needed while walking in the morning chill.

Last edited:
Camino France
west of Granon/east of Belorado

photo taken October 29, 2011

towards Belorado.jpg

These twin mounds were seen in the dry autumnal sun-baked landscape north of the camino while walking towards Belorado.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Early morning coming down the hill towards Astorga Sep 18
Every stamp in my credencial is a memory much like my photos and the images are burned in and match up with Pilgrims I often wonder about

Attachments

• IMG_5125.JPG
    IMG_5125.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

€149,-
Camino Frances
Montes de Oca forest
San Juan de Ortega monastery

photo taken October 31, 2011

San Juan de Ortega, interior .jpg

Within this splendid Gothic mausoleum San Juan de Ortega/ Saint John of the Nettles is buried. A follower of Santo Domingo de la Calzada, San Juan was, like him, a 12th c. builder of roads, bridges and hospices for pilgrims.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have posted this before a while back. After a wine laden menu del dia I asked these young ladies if I could take their photo. I feel it was one of my best portraits. Of note are the different expressions on their faces that all tell a story of what they were thinking on me. I was certainly not rude or forward towards them.
It was the colours of their clothing and their flamboyant demeanor that attracted me to them.D5825893-9538-4A8B-B44D-656FF19C10A0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back