• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Norte

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The narrow path up over the hill and down onto the beach after Laredo heading for Güemes is particularly treacherous after rain too, I struggled with it just a few days ago. You are about a week from it..20230511_104344.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Im one day behind you. Will stay at Ibiri Quarter today (5km past Deba). Let's see if I can play catchup :)

Made it to Marquina on somewhat better trails
Im one day behind you. Will stay at Ibiri Quarter today (5km past Deba). Let's see if I can play catchup :)
overall, but the rain caught up with us 1.5 hours out! Drying out now and ready to wet the insides!

Made it to Marquina on somewhat better trails

overall, but the rain caught up with us 1.5 hours out! Drying out now and ready to wet the insides!
Im hoping to stay at the monastery in Zenazurra tomorrow. There are only 21 bed places so I'm a bit worried about crowds. Altough in the cow shed seems to be today just 2 pilgrims.

How many people started on the same day as you in Irun? I had about 30-40 people.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Im hoping to stay at the monastery in Zenazurra tomorrow. There are only 21 bed places so I'm a bit worried about crowds. Altough in the cow shed seems to be today just 2 pilgrims.

How many people started on the same day as you in Irun? I had about 30-40 people.
I had a late start from Irun and only saw a few pilgrims along the way.

The alberge in Marquina still has rooms tonight which bodes well for the days ahead. They have a sign up announcing that the alberge in Gernika is closed for repairs and suggest you go past 6 km for lodging. See picture below. By the way, Happy San Isidro day!

Attachments

• IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 21
I had a late start from Irun and only saw a few pilgrims along the way.
Took a private room in the monastery for €30. Worth it! The monks were very appreciative. I got there around 12 noon? Had to wait till 2 or 230 (can’t remember) to actually secure the room but was first in queue. If Mary is still there she will help you. BTW all the rooms in Deba were booked. Had to take a train back and forth to Zarautz.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The narrow path up over the hill and down onto the beach after Laredo heading for Güemes is particularly treacherous after rain too, I struggled with it just a few days ago. You are about a week from it..View attachment 147074
It is particularly treacherous to be sure! After writing about it in my Find Penguins app that was shared with those who followed me, my son called to ask if he should take out an insurance policy on me. Haha. But the walk on the beach afterwards was glorious!

For sure, 3km or so barefoot was perfect! And the mud wouldn't have been such an issue if there was something other than gorse needles to grab onto for support!

It is particularly treacherous to be sure! After writing about it in my Find Penguins app that was shared with those who followed me, my son called to ask if he should take out an insurance policy on me. Haha. But the walk on the beach afterwards was glorious!
Fully agree! I did this stretch before Noja a few days ago in rain and it was very slippery and, in spots, dangerous. The views and beach walk after, plus a glass of wine in town, erased the anxiety 🤣🍷 Hopefully the rain will clear soon for folks heading that way!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The narrow path up over the hill and down onto the beach after Laredo heading for Güemes is particularly treacherous after rain too, I struggled with it just a few days ago. You are about a week from it..View attachment 147074
I recall that muddy path! Much to our amazement we looked back up the hill once we reached the beach and saw 2 people carrying their bikes down the trail. I seem to recall someone told us there is an alternative path if you want to avoid the mud.

I recall that muddy path! Much to our amazement we looked back up the hill once we reached the beach and saw 2 people carrying their bikes down the trail. I seem to recall someone told us there is an alternative path if you want to avoid the mud.
That IS amazing! There was an alternative route. We decided to take the beach route not realizing it was a bit more Jurassic Park than beach for quite a stretch. But all good and no dinosaurs.

Actually had some sunshine today walking into Gernika! No albergue open so stayed at the Hotel Boliña. Other folks opting for monastery outside of Marquina or pushing thru beyond Gernika. Lezama tight too, so might push on to Bilbao. Big city, lots of beds. A fair number of pilgrims are going no further than Bilbao.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Actually had some sunshine today walking into Gernika! No albergue open so stayed at the Hotel Boliña. Other folks opting for monastery outside of Marquina or pushing thru beyond Gernika. Lezama tight too, so might push on to Bilbao. Big city, lots of beds. A fair number of pilgrims are going no further than Bilbao.
Also lots of pilgrims I have talked with will also stop walking in Bilbao. Things should become very relaxed.

PS. Im pushing all the way to Portugalete tomorrow using the riverside walk. Really looking forward to the gondola bridge.

I took the metro from Bilbao to Portugalete to avoid the urban and industrial sprawl. I am on the bus from Santander to Santillana for the same reason. I would have liked the coastal route out of Santander, but a 30 km hike just to get to Boos with rain threatening did not seem so exciting. Bus is full of pilgrims so maybe my reasoning is not so erratic. I will end up in Comillas today which will put me one day ahead of my Camino family. But I think it will also put me on the other side of all this mist and rain and fog.

Some pilgrims got the recommendation to take the train out of Santander to Santa Cruz de Bezana and from there walk to Santallana del Mar.

Its still a long day, but quite a good experience this way.

I walked past Santallana del Mar today and wished that I had stayed there last night. Very charming medevial little town.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.