Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Primitivo

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
We began our Camino Primitivo today. As I posted in another thread, this was a spur of the moment decision while we were walking the CF.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in with advice and thanks also to the members who have so generously shared their experiences on and advice about this Camino. We bought the Editorial Buen Camino guidebook in Oviedo yesterday. It seems to be very good and it has information about the alternative routes from Lugo. It's very heavy, though. Damian also put the TrekRight app on his phone and is finding the Primitivo maps to be very useful.

We've had one setback - I have a horrible tummy bug that has left me feeling pretty wretched. I managed to shuffle slowly to Grado today, but I might not be able to walk tomorrow. I'm so glad that we decided on a pension rather than the Albergue. I really need a room with a bathroom and I'd hate to pass this on to anyone else!

Apart from that little problem, we're loving the tranquility of this Camino. Hopefully I'll be able to walk a short distance tomorrow. We'll see.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sending lots of get well vibes through cyberspace. Hope you can rest up, you don´t want to miss any of this glorious walk! BTW, if your walking pal/s are meat eaters and find themselves in Grado with an appetite, try Gran Feudo. Their "novilla beef burgers" were the best burgers I have had in years and years and years. Buen camino, Nuala

We've had one setback - I have a horrible tummy bug that has left me feeling pretty wretched. I managed to shuffle slowly to Grado today, but I might not be able to walk tomorrow. I'm so glad that we decided on a pension rather than the Albergue. I really need a room with a bathroom and I'd hate to pass this on to anyone else!

Apart from that little problem, we're loving the tranquility of this Camino. Hopefully I'll be able to walk a short distance tomorrow. We'll see.
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Get well soon...
Tim

There was a post today warning of a virus on the Primitivo. Poster had symptoms of it in Campielo I believe. Ask the framacia for Metronidazol, works wonders, says the non medically trained.

Editorial Buen Camino is excellent. Take pictures of the pages and mail the guide home. I like the fact it is spiral bound and its comments about different places and situations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Garlic, garlic, red and fat meat, garlic, garlic, garlic, more meat, garlic, garlic, some bread, more meat, more garlic, rest and you'll be fine!
Won't smell that nice though :D

Ask the framacia for Metronidazol, works wonders, says the non medically trained.
I do not doubt at all the sincerity of this advice, but if anyone is unwell, it is far better to seek advice of someone who is medically trained.
Such as the pharmacist at the farmacia. Or see a doctor: I saw a GP in Portomarin one year, the pharmacist gave me directions, I walked to the health centre, was seen and examined, and was out again with prescription from pharmacy in under two hours. There was a nominal charge for the drugs. The rest was free (for EU members).

I am a retired physician and would never prescribe an antibiotic, or anything else, for anyone I have not seen and examined. I do not prescribe for myself. Metronidazole (=Flagyl) would treat amoebic dysentery and giardiasis and some bacterial infections. It will have no effect on a virus. It does have significant interactions with other common drugs, so the prescriber should ascertain what other medication someone is taking before prescribing it. The single most important treatment in the case of a tummy bug would be to maintain hydration.

Last week at the UN Ban Ki-moon said antimicrobial resistance is a “fundamental threat” to global health and safety. A principle cause of antimicrobial resistance is unthinking prescription of antibiotics.

Nuala, I really hope you are feeling better today. You don't need to hear all this!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Which is why I wrote "says the medically untrained"... as in check which those who are. But it does make miracles against viral poopooissues, just ask anyone whi takes dogs to dogshows regularly: they never leave home without it.

Which is why I wrote "says the medically untrained"... as in check which those who are. But it does make miracles against viral poopooissues, just ask anyone whi takes dogs to dogshows regularly: they never leave home without it.

Anemone may be right about the dog shows. My sister shows and breeds amazingly huge English Mastiffs. Sometimes I go to shows to help tote/carry/set up; if you watch some of the herbal sprays, salves, and such going on just before entering a ring, you'd swear you were at el mercado de brujos on sale day. Anything for Grand Champion.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you everyone for your words of advice and support! I really appreciate it. I slept well last night and I seem to be on the mend. I decided this morning that I was probably well enough for a short walk to Cornellana, but in the end I was able to walk slowly to Salas.

Everything you all said about the Primitivo is true. It is so beautiful and peaceful. There are no bed races, so no need for ridiculously early starts. We met about 10 pilgrims today.

Onwards and upwards!

PS - @KinkyOne, your suggestion made me laugh. Although the very thought of it would probably send me running to the bathroom again!

Last edited:
I slept well last night and I seem to be on the mend.

Nuala, really happy to hear this. Take it easy. Great that there is no overcrowding. In May I found there were just enough people for company (I was walking alone) and never so many as to cause any difficulty with accommodation. There is such a lot to appreciate on this route. Tim

Still on the Primitivo but not quite as we had planned. My little tummy bug turned into full-blown gastro-enteritis, so I spent all of yesterday in bed in Salas. We took a taxi this morning to the Centro de Salud in Tineo, where the doctor confirmed that I was doing all the right things and that the farmacia had given me the correct medications. He was very pragmatic and basically said that it will take as long as it takes.

It's a little frustrating that we will end up skipping parts of this amazing Camino, but we're getting a real sense of its beauty and we'll definitely come back again. Although my nature is to push myself very hard, I know that I can't walk until my symptoms abate and I get some nutrition into my body.

I'm not sure how things will work out over the next few days, but we're open to whatever needs to happen. Every Camino has its lessons and this one has already delivered a few. We're in good spirits today.

We've checked into the very nice Hotel Palacio de Meras - wow, such luxury for the pilgrim rate of €50. It also has an albergue.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Nuala,
I'm sure this is hard, even though there's no doubt this is the only thing to do. Great to see your spirits are high. You're in a good spot (if you want to see pilgrim splendor, head down to the Albergue for a look, it's pretty amazing). You can also use the spa, not sure if that appeals to someone with gastroenteritis though. Hope that you recover and still have time for a Primitivo Sampler. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Nuala - your camino 'family' love all your comments, and we are all hoping you'll be 100% very soon.
Plans can go astray .... it's my plan to walk the Primitivo next May, but you know what they say about plans ... "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!"
If you can continue - wonderful.
If not - come back another day.
But don't stress yourself too much while you're unwell.
Blessings from sunny England.....

You're in a good spot (if you want to see pilgrim splendor, head down to the Albergue for a look, it's pretty amazing), Laurie
You're right Laurie, I have never seen an albergue like it! This whole place is so welcoming to pilgrims. We didn't plan to stay here, but I'm so glad that we did. The food is good too - I managed a little bit of lunch today.

Sorry to hear this Nuala, that tummy bug has taken out half of our parish. Get well soon and enjoy the rest of your Camino.

Thank you Pat, hope you manage to avoid it!

Take it easy Nuala. Good that you have Damian along too. Get well soon. Tim

Thanks Tim. And yes, I'm very lucky to have Damian looking after me. The past couple of days were probably worse for him than for me.

Plans can go astray .... it's my plan to walk the Primitivo next May, but you know what they say about plans ... "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!"
If you can continue - wonderful.
If not - come back another day..

Thanks Stephen, that's definitely one of the lessons of this Camino. We now have no plan at all, other than somehow reaching Santiago by 13th October. I have let go of all my planner instincts and that feels very good!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't want to appear disrespectful but please believe this: It does NOT treat viruses. I don't mean to say that your dog did not get better but please consider that the dog may have had giardiasis.

Hi folks, it's the high-maintenance Primitivo Peregrina again! We're still in Tineo and I'm feeling a lot better. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to walk tomorrow.

One (hopefully final!) question, and it's one that I never thought I'd be asking here. If you had to skip a section, what would it be? Or alternatively, what would you least want to skip?

We plan to walk to Campiello tomorrow and to Pola de Allande on Monday. After those short days, I think I'll be able to walk normal distances again. Although we've already skipped one section, we still might not be able to make up our lost time. I hate the idea of skipping any of it, but we'll probably need to think about that at some point soon.

We've been enjoying small-town life in Tineo today. Although the past few days have been tough, we've had happy times too.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We began our Camino Primitivo today. As I posted in another thread, this was a spur of the moment decision while we were walking the CF.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in with advice and thanks also to the members who have so generously shared their experiences on and advice about this Camino. We bought the Editorial Buen Camino guidebook in Oviedo yesterday. It seems to be very good and it has information about the alternative routes from Lugo. It's very heavy, though. Damian also put the TrekRight app on his phone and is finding the Primitivo maps to be very useful.

Hi - I had to abandon my camino on the Primitivo because of the tummy bug ... are you sure it was a virus you had? I definitely had the virus (hospital in Tineo confirmed this and gave me very very good treatment) and about 10 other pilgrims I know had it too, we think we picked it up around Salas not as you did just after Oviedo - It is now Saturday so you must be better by now and hopefully walking confidently again!

Hi nuala, so glad you're feeling better. If it were me I would think about skipping the stage into Lugo or, of course, the stages on the Frances.

Wishing you a Buen camino!
@NualaOC
Yes my recollection is of a bit of a long slog into Lugo (although I liked the city v much) and a bit of a slog up, up, up, into Fonsagrada. And even though it is not a big place, it took a bit of a detour to find the (rather nice modern) albergue Cantabrico. I remember it was a very hot day, so it may cloud my judgment.
The diversion through Friol to Sobrado probably not a good idea if you are not 100% as no facilities along the way, at all!
And I cannot speak for the section after Lugo.
It's not an easy question:) and it's not a very helpful answer either....;)
Anyway, good to hear that you are on the mend.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi - I had to abandon my camino on the Primitivo because of the tummy bug ... are you sure it was a virus you had? I definitely had the virus (hospital in Tineo confirmed this and gave me very very good treatment) and about 10 other pilgrims I know had it too, we think we picked it up around Salas not as you did just after Oviedo - It is now Saturday so you must be better by now and hopefully walking confidently again!
So sorry you had to abandon your Camino. I'm sure that was a big disappointment. Thankfully I didn't have that virus - just normal gastroenteritis.

Hi nuala, so glad you're feeling better. If it were me I would think about skipping the stage into Lugo or, of course, the stages on the Frances.
Wishing you a Buen camino!

@NualaOC
Yes my recollection is of a bit of a long slog into Lugo (although I liked the city v much) and a bit of a slog up, up, up, into Fonsagrada. And even though it is not a big place, it took a bit of a detour to find the (rather nice modern) albergue Cantabrico. I remember it was a very hot day, so it may cloud my judgment.
Anyway, good to hear that you are on the mend.

Thanks Laurie and Tim. I'll see how we go over the next few days and if needed, skip some or all of the stage into Lugo. That keeps things nice and simple. Really appreciate your input.

Walked the Camino DEl Norte in July and saw the sign for th Primitavo but kept on the del norte, maybe another time. Mountain views must be great. Hope you are fit and well again. I see you are also from N. Ireland.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just came back from the Primitivo and all my fellow pilgrims that stayed in Bodanaya had the bug....and problems. They had to stay a couple of days in Campiello. I didn´t stay in Bodanaya and went straight on to the next village...Maybe that´s why none of us caught this.

Buen Camino and the best part of the Primitivo is yet to come. Hope you can make Hospitales....AMAZING

I don't want to appear disrespectful but please believe this: It does NOT treat viruses. I don't mean to say that your dog did not get better but please consider that the dog may have had giardiasis.
Honnestly, bacterial or viral transmission/contamination? Who cares? In particular with regard to this thread.

Good old metronidazole is what my vets prescribe/recommends (know there is no way I am paying them the premium price for meds I can get elsewhere), and all the vets I know who breed and show dogs use, when this type of bowel issue arise. If no improvement is seen in 24-36 hours, we then look for something else.

But I am sorry to say, I am not taking any advice from the Internet, and especially a Camino forum, when it comes to my breeding programme. But thank you for your good intentions.

Back to Camino issues now perhaps?

Take care Nuala! I hope you are fully recovered by now. Don't know how I missed reading about your latest Camino...

Nuala, do you want to walk the last 100km? Because if you don't, I would just walk what you call "shorter days" (my normal days) and stop when you join the Frances.

Otherwise, maybe the walk into A Fonsagrada after you cross into Galicia. Call a cab at the funky bar after you climb down from the Acebo. But that's 10 km or so only. Problem is that after A Fonsagrada there is a beautiful walk ( in the clouds when I was there) not to be missed.

At the bottom of that beautiful walk in a Meson, run by an Argentinian. You could call a taxi there to Lugo. Cadavo to Lugo was not particularly interesting. That would be a full day, even for you ;0) !

But I would walk those less interesting bits 100 times over anything after joining the Frances.

Glad you are feeling better!

Thank you (x 100) for all the kind words and the route suggestions. This forum is amazing! I had a few low moments today, but you've all helped to get me motivated again.

And BTW since I know absolutely nothing about canine health and welfare, I enjoyed that little side-trip too :);)

Hi Nuala
from one 'broken' pilgrim to another, I hope you are recovered and that you enjoy the rest of the Camino
prayers
Andy

imho the stage into Lugo from Cavado is rivaled only by the stage out of Bilbao for a stretch of road that could easily be missed. I would not miss the walk from Fonsagrada to Cavodo if possible...I agree with Anemone that the ruins of the pilgrim hospital above the clouds are spectacular...otoh, perhaps not worth it if your stomach is still iffy.
i hope you feel better, and I am going to steal the phrase high-maintenance peregrina :)

There are 3 buses a day from A Fonsagrada to Lugo. If you ask the times in the informaion office it is worth checking the times in the various villages. We caught the mid-day bus in Paradavella after eating in the 'Argentine' cafe-bar. There is also a bar in Paradavella where the bus stops. We took it to Cadavo but were only shortening the stage. There is a nearly morning and also an evening bus - but do check the times as this is information from 2012.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are 3 buses a day from A Fonsagrada to Lugo. If you ask the times in the informaion office it is worth checking the times in the various villages. We caught the mid-day bus in Paradavella after eating in the 'Argentine' cafe-bar. There is also a bar in Paradavella where the bus stops. We took it to Cadavo but were only shortening the stage. There is a nearly morning and also an evening bus - but do check the times as this is information from 2012.

Thanks @Tia Valeria, this is really helpful. The plan is to keep walking (I walked to Campiello this morning) and skip something closer to Lugo if needed. It's really helpful to know that there's a bus option - it was hard to find this information online.

Thanks @Tia Valeria, this is really helpful. The plan is to keep walking (I walked to Campiello this morning) and skip something closer to Lugo if needed. It's really helpful to know that there's a bus option - it was hard to find this information online.

OOOOHHHHHH, but the part between Paradavella and A Lastra is BEAUTIFUL, so gloriously bucolic and rural. There is in fact a little hamlet where a young guy is spending his summers trying to turn his ancestral family home into an Albergue. I know that Tia (?) and others have had a rough time on the ascent to A Lastra (because of mud), but now that the path has been changed to crushed gravel it is unlikely to be a problem in the muddy weather.

You'll figure it out, Nuala!

OOOOHHHHHH, but the part between Paradavella and A Lastra is BEAUTIFUL, so gloriously bucolic and rural. There is in fact a little hamlet where a young guy is spending his summers trying to turn his ancestral family home into an Albergue. I know that Tia (?) and others have had a rough time on the ascent to A Lastra (because of mud), but now that the path has been changed to crushed gravel it is unlikely to be a problem in the muddy weather.

You'll figure it out, Nuala!
Thanks Laurie, it's all falling into place and we shouldn't need to skip very much. I'm almost completely recovered and with the help of the amazing Ricardo of Albergue Casa Ricardo in Campiello, we're walking the Hospitales route today. He has arranged bag transport and a taxi for the first 5 kms. That allows a slightly later start and less strenuous day, without missing Hospitales.

I can't recommend Albergue Casa Ricardo highly enough.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Glad you are feeling better @NualaOC - bus times here. Her-vei is the bus line. If shortening the stage into A Fonsagrada then taxi is the only option as no buses run between Grandas de Salime and A Fonsagrada.
One tip: If you decide that you need a taxi after leaving the bar Acebo (after Alto de Acebo) then find a roadside km marker so that the taxi knows where you are. We were approx 10kms out rather than the 5kms planned as the rain was horizontal and virtually sleet and the km marker distance would have helped.

Thanks Laurie, it's all falling into place and we shouldn't need to skip very much. I'm almost completely recovered and with the help of the amazing Ricardo of Albergue Casa Ricardo in Campiello, we're walking the Hospitales route today. He has arranged bag transport and a taxi for the first 5 kms. That allows a slightly later start and less strenuous day, without missing Hospitales.

I can't recommend Albergue Casa Ricardo highly enough.
Great news Nuala.
I didn't stay in Campiello, but did have a meal at Ricardo's bar opposite the albergue. I felt a bit heretical for saying I preferred it to Herminia's just up the street, where I had to leave the bar/restaurant because of the crowds! Admittedly for Sunday lunch on Spanish Mothers' Day. Hard to begrudge them really.

Great news Nuala.
I didn't stay in Campiello, but did have a meal at Ricardo's bar opposite the albergue. I felt a bit heretical for saying I preferred it to Herminia's just up the street, where I had to leave the bar/restaurant because of the crowds! Admittedly for Sunday lunch on Spanish Mothers' Day. Hard to begrudge them really.

Both places are good, but they are quite different. Herminia has built a very successful business serving both pilgrims and local people. That must have required a lot of work and investment and she deserves credit for that. It seems to be a well-run operation.

Ricardo's place is a labour of love, built in the house where he was born. He has thought of everything that a pilgrim might need and created a happy little haven. The two people working with him have a similar mindset and nothing is too much trouble.

Worryingly, Ricardo expects pilgrim numbers on the Primitivo to rise significantly in the coming years. That would be a shame - it's perfect as it is.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
we must start telling everyone about the snorers and the bedbugs. please, everyone do their part!
Primitivo....keep the secret
I concure!
And admit that I'm a snorer and attracting bedbugs (last three years in a row). OK?

But decided not to walk any northern Camino for years after this rainy and windy and cold and muddy and ... and ... and... beginning of summer :D

Nothing beats two pounds of clay-mud on each boot/shoe for a true Camino leg work out ;-)

Buen Camino with good weather, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
really guys, do we want to see crowds? more people than bears? Do we want someone to pave the Hospitales????
Primitivo...keep the secret
t-shirts and coffee mugs coming soon to my etsy shop

I have never heard nor walked this mysterious Camino everyone is talking about here.....
I hope it will never change and stay as it is....

14591652_1290658000965435_6637457573633661469_n.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
really guys, do we want to see crowds? more people than bears? Do we want someone to pave the Hospitales????
Primitivo...keep the secret
t-shirts and coffee mugs coming soon to my etsy shop
I'm just starting Ruta Baztan - walking in the morning. I think if a bear was geographically challenged, I could meet one here. Not to mention young bulls.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm just starting Ruta Baztan - walking in the morning. I think if a bear was geographically challenged, I could meet one here. Not to mention young bulls.
Ahm, Tim, if I remember correctly a couple of years ago Slovenia sent two bears to the Pyrenees. I just don't remember whether that was on the French or Spanish side. Anyway, you might start practising some Slovenian while there if you meet them :D

Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back