• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On The Return Home

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I could only see a little way, out of one eye.
Just the blood trickling down my nose, a blurry bit of concrete up close, and a few strands of grass.
My right hip had dislocated and I had nose-dived into the pavement.
Gave it a right good head butting didn't I.
I was unable to move, cast like an old ewe, as we say in sheep country.
It’s a bugger when that happens.
Then again, how lucky was I? Lucky it didn’t happen on the Camino Frances.
I’d only just got home from Spain.

I still had hold of Henry, although I couldn’t see him.
He was at the end of his stretchy lead, pulling and whining, wanting to continue his walk.
Fortunately I was outside a school around closing time, amid mothers arriving to collect their children.
They came rushing. “No heart attack! No stroke!” I assured them, “I've dislocated my hip.”
“Dig the phone out of my pocket and call an ambulance,” I requested, “and please call Shirley, Henry’s mother. Tell her to come and collect him. She’s my neighbour. I only take him for walks.”
The ambulance lasses scraped me off the footpath and hoisted me up into their vehicle and it seemed only few minutes before I was in the accident/emergency department of the local hospital.
They banged it back in the next day and I was sent home with strict instructions to be careful until they could fit me in for a replacement, or Revision, as they call it. A Revision is when they have to replace a hip that has already been replaced once, 20 years previously in my case.

A week later I was having a shower when I turned to rinse the soap off my back.
Bang, out it went again. This time I headed out over the side of the bath.
I grabbed at the shower curtain in passing.
The tiled floor rushed up to greet me rather painfully, and I wound up in an ungainly heap alongside the washing machine.
The shower curtain and it's rail came along for the ride.
This enabled the shower head to continue sprinkling me as I lay face down on the floor.
I lay there for a while, cursing myself for my stupidity and considering my situation.
Then I started hollering for Shirley from next door. She came at a run.
After the last episode she had already figured what had happened.
She stopped outside the bathroom door.
“Are you decent?” she called, “I’m not coming in unless you’re decent!”
“That’s bloody lovely isn't it,” I said, “a bloke could die in here while you stood out there worried about your delicate feelings being upset.”
Henry ran in and jumped up on me.
He commenced to lick my face as I tried one-handed to arrange the shower curtain about my person.
Horrid little dog he is, he just liked the taste of my blood.
“Now I’m decent,” I called. Shirley came in.
“Oh,” she said, “Isn't that lovely. Henry’s worried about you.”
“No he’s not,” I replied, “and neither is his mother. Now turn that rotten shower off and ring me an ambulance.”

They banged it back in again the next day.
“Right Gerard,” said the surgeon, “we’ll have to bump you up the operating list. Can’t have this happening again.”
“Good oh,” I said, “When?”
He consulted his diary.
“Next week, Tuesday. Now please be extra careful until then. Then it will take six months to recover completely. Revisions take much longer than ordinary hip replacements. Any questions?”
“Will I be right to walk the Camino again next year?” I asked.
He shook his head in resignation.
“You should be fine,” he replied, "but couldn't you do something a little less strenuous? You've worn out your two good hips and we've replaced them. Now we have to replace one of the replacements! That means you’ll be on your 5th hip. Do you have to do that Camino thing again? ”
“Yes,” I replied, “I have to. All my friends will be there. I don’t want to miss them.”
“And what friends are they?” he asked.
“Well I don’t know,” I replied, “I haven’t met them yet. But they’ll all be there I can assure you of that.”
He looked at me quizzically.
They don’t understand, do they?

Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh my gosh Gerard! are we going to have to bubble wrap you until your next camino!! Hope you are recovering ok. A dislocated hip is no small thing..
And no...they don't understand! I don't even understand!! But when we are called...we've gotta go... :)
God Bless and take care.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gerard, Karen is right - bubble wrap definitely! But what a wonderful writer you are, and what an amazing way to illustrate that incomprehensible-to-others pull the Camino has. I don't really understand it myself, and find it very hard to explain to other why I have to do it. All the very best for the op - your Camino friends will be waiting to hear good news!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Dear Gerard, not an enjoyable tale to read about, but your sentiments are understood by all. God bless you in your recovery that it be both speedy and complete. I have come to the conclusion that for us that hear the Camino's call it will never end. I envision that we are destined to walk in this life and the next. What a wonderful Way to encounter in eternal life?

I had thoughts of wrapping Gerard into something like the Michelin tire guy or maybe the Pillsbury dough guy.

If he isn't walking by the Spring we can simply bounce him down the camino like a basket ball all the way to Santiago

PS I guess there is no "life time no questions asked full refund" warranty on those hip things they keep putting into you eh?

Wow Gerard,
you are like an EverReady battery that just keeps going no matter what. Such an inspiration.
You have a great neighbor in Shirley, a brilliant way of telling a story and an urge to walk that could never be understood by others, bravo and I hope your healing goes well and swiftly.
Cheers
Alex

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lovely telling of a good story. Please take it easy (but how much easier can you take it??? dislocating a hip in the shower??!). I love your telling of ". . . all my friends will be there . . . " and your doctor's confusion. How very true (she says with a chuckle). ;)

I could only see a little way, out of one eye.
Just the blood trickling down my nose, a blurry bit of concrete up close, and a few strands of grass.
My right hip had dislocated and I had nosedived into the pavement.
Gave it a right good head butting, didn't I.
I was unable to move, cast like an old ewe, as we say in sheep country.
It’s a bugger when that happens.
Then again, how lucky was I? Lucky it didn’t happen on the Camino Frances.
I’d only just got home from Spain.

I still had hold of Henry, although I couldn’t see him.
He was at the end of his stretchy lead, pulling and whining, wanting to continue his walk.
Fortunately I was outside a school around closing time, amid mothers arriving to collect their children.
They came rushing. “No heart attack! No stroke!” I assured them, “I've dislocated my hip.”
“Dig the phone out of my pocket and call an ambulance,” I requested, “and please call Shirley, Henry’s mother, tell her to come and collect him. She’s my neighbour. I only take him for walks.”
The ambulance lasses scraped me off the footpath and hoisted me up into their vehicle and it seemed only few minutes before I was in the accident/emergency department of the local hospital.
They banged it back in the next day and I was sent home with strict instructions to be careful until they could fit me in for a replacement, or Revision, as they call it. That’s when they have to replace a hip that has already been replaced once, 20 years previously in my case.

A week later I was having a shower when I turned to rinse the soap off my back.
Bang, out it went again. This time I headed out over the side of the bath.
I grabbed the shower curtain in passing.
The tiled floor rushed up to greet me rather painfully, and I wound up in an ungainly heap alongside the washing machine.
The towel rail and curtain came along for the ride.
This enabled the shower head to continue sprinkling me as I lay face down on the floor.
I lay there for a while, cursing myself for my stupidity and considering my situation.
Then I started hollering for Shirley from next door. She came at a run.
After the last episode she had already figured what had happened.
She stopped outside the bathroom door.
“Are you decent?” she called, “I’m not coming in unless you’re decent!”
“That’s bloody lovely isn't it,” I said, “a bloke could die in here while you stood out there worried about your delicate feelings being upset.”
Henry ran in and jumped up on me.
He commenced to lick my face as I tried one-handed to arrange the shower curtain about my person.
Horrid little dog he is, he just liked the taste of my blood.
“Now I’m decent,” I called. Shirley came in.
“Oh,” she said, “Isn't that lovely, Henry’s worried about you.”
“No he’s not,” I replied, “and neither is his mother. Now turn the shower off and ring me an ambulance.”

They banged it back in again the next day.
“Right Gerard,” said the surgeon, “we’ll have to bump you up the operating list. Can’t have this happening again.”
“Good oh,” I said, “When?”
He consulted his diary.
“Next week, Tuesday. Now please be extra careful until then. Then it will take six months to recover completely. Revisions take much longer than ordinary hip replacements.”
“Will I be right to walk the Camino again next year?” I asked.
He shook his head in resignation.
“You should be fine,” he replied, but couldn't you do something a little less strenuous? You've worn out your two good hips and we've replaced them. Now we have to replace one of the replacements! That means you’ll be on your 5th hip. Do you have to do that Camino thing again? ”
“Yes,” I replied, “I have to. All my friends will be there. I don’t want to miss them.”
“What friends?” he asked.
“Well I don’t know,” I replied, “I haven’t met them yet. But they’ll all be there I can assure you of that.”
He looked at me quizzically.
They don’t understand, do they?

Regds
Gerard
Hi Gerard .... you've given me many words of wisdom this last month and I thank you for that. I'm one of your new friends xx Trish

Great story Gerard, and a bit sad! We all have our old sour body's, and have to cope with them. You just toke it a step further, but with a such wonderful sense of humour and warmth!
Keep on going/Peter

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Gerard - how timely for you to have to take it easy for a bit ... just when the cricket is becoming a joy again!
Best wishes for your operation and a speedy recovery.
Cheers - Jenny
PS - give your little mate Henry a pat from me!

You are amazing! I love the part about your friends..that is priceless and so true. And, you are right...they just don't understand, even though they try. I'll look forward to hearing about your next adventures on Camino. In the meantime..heal well and strong..do the physical therapy..and walk on!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I went looking for a photo of the michelin man wearing a buff but this was the best I could find

The new and improved Gerard (post one more hip operation). On the recommendation of his doctor ....

michelin-man.jpg

Keep up your good spirits. From your tell-tale about your recent experiences you clearly are keeping your sunny side up.

Also, I love your sense of humor! I really like the "Gerard Michelin Peregrino" figure above too? But I think he needs hiking poles...and a scallop shell...

We will ALL be thinking good thoughts. I will keep you in my prayers and intentions as well. We look forward to your company after your recovery process.

Happy Christmas too!

Best wishes from the colonies...

EDITED POST Just to update.
Tks very much everyone for your kind words which were quite unexpected and so most welcome.
I just thought it was a story that you might find funny, and maybe of interest.
I've had the op, all went fine. Am down to one crutch now and Shirley is allowing Henry to take me for walks.
He's had me tied up in knots a few times but I haven't gone down yet!
I tried to compose a post with a few words to you all individually but it was like 10 pages long and looked stupid.
So please accept my best wishes for the festive season.
A very merry Xmas to you and yours,
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh Gerard, I'm so sorry for laughing so hard! What a wonderful writer you are -- can't wait for the telling of the surgery! ;-) And may you have the very best surgeons ever!! God Speed!

The night I got home from my Camino, I took a header into the closet - I fell over my friends The Boots -- I mean, after six weeks on the Camino, I guess I'd forgotten the perils of The Closet. Thought I'd broken my thumb and given myself a concussion -- fortunately, just five big bruises!! All is well.

Count me as a new friend as well!! See you on the Camino!

Take care!
~Terry, la peregrina

Gerard what a calamity and such a wonderful story teller ! I would love to have seen the surgeon's face, you are quite right people are mystified by it all. Do take good care of yourself out walking with Henry . Have a very happy Christmas will be thinking about you, and keep us all informed on your progress please.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello gerard,

Hope for your speedy recovery so that we can see you soon in santiago.

A happy christmas to you and your family. God bless.

Gerard
My husband had a hip replacement and walked the Camino 16 months later 2011, at his 3 yr review this year the consultant was very impressed at his recovery/fitness levels etc but said "walking wears out the hip"...well I did laugh at your story despite you on a 5th! hip-review?. Best of luck and let us all know when you are planning another camino, hubbie wants to do Via de la Plata soon, I'm undecided but a definite for 2014. (My husband has a new kidney, new hip, stent in heart, etc etc) I am in original state! Thanks for great writing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gerard:

You definitely have a gift for telling a story.

Never quite sure if you are in Fiction or non-fiction mode.

Ultreya,
Joe

All the best Gerard for Christmas do keep us posted on your recovery as you can see we all want to read your second edition of "when I returned home" it could become a best teller!

Gerard, hope to hear about your next Camino! I had a belly laugh (and wince as another person posted) but mostly because I just had a fall while out training a week and a half ago. I was on a trail hiking around a lake and there were a lot of leaves on the trail so I didn't see the tree root hidden under them. It stopped my left foot as if it was nailed to the ground and sent me in a nose dive! Luckily I only had a broken finger, got a huge knob on my head (CT showed no brain bleed), a puffed up knee, and sore muscles.
I wrote this in another thread and someone suggested I might want to use trekking poles. Great idea but I was using them!! ; )
All silliness aside I am glad the surgery went well. I am grateful that my injuries aren't going to stop me and it sounds like yours won't either.
Take Care and Buen Camino
Stefania

I was on a trail hiking around a lake and there were a lot of leaves on the trail so I didn't see the tree root hidden under them. It stopped my left foot as if it was nailed to the ground and sent me in a nose dive! Luckily I only had a broken finger, got a huge knob on my head (CT showed no brain bleed), a puffed up knee, and sore muscles.
Hope you are feeling better cobber. We want to be right for Christmas don't we? Yay!
Went for a short walk without any crutches yesterday, so obviously I'm on the way back.
Those other pilgrims better watch out for us guys n gals eh? We'll be flashing past them, bounding up and down over mountains and hills, fuelled by fine Spanish food and wine. Hooray for us!
Merry Christmas to all,
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back