• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the road again: from an old-timer to a new-timer.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Time to start packing. Madrid tomorrow, staying with a Camino friend, then Tuesday to Pamplona by train. Trains and buses are supreme services in Spain. Find me a bed, either at the albergue municipal Jesus y Maria, or something else if full. All will go well: Lots of possibilities in Pamplona. Don't worry so much about a bed. And then I hit the Way on Wednesday.

I have noticed that there is high traffic, so will stay in between those Brierly stages. First night in Obanos maybe, next in Villatuerta, maybe. Good stop for pausing by the wine fountain next day ;)

To you: Stop before your feet go bad, and adjust your stops so you are out of the most popular stops. Let your feet and body adjust to long walking. Some people follow the guides as slaves. Do not fall into that trap. Easier to get a bed outside the pack. Most of all: Do not let it stress you; enjoy the walk, take off your shoes and enjoy a coffee or beer regularly. So many rush it, and when reaching SdC they suddenly understand that the walk is over, and they were rushing it. Remember the Way is the goal! Enjoy many days.

Packing guideline: What you know you will need goes into the pack. What you think you need/nice to have, stays at home.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm just starting to put my Camino stuff in the bottom drawer of my bedroom dresser (it's a tradition). I am so incredibly excited to go, and this time around, I think I will be able to get my pack to five kilos without water. Let's see what happens there!

Everything weighs something, and my aim will be to make things easier. I usually carry eight kilos total, including water.

My whistle...while my whistle weighs next to nothing, I had always reasoned that it was perhaps a great idea. I will still carry it, but here is a story about that little one-ounce item.

While walking a long stretch mid-Frances a year and a half ago, I saw a sleeping bag sitting in the middle of the trail. Looking ahead, I saw a couple walking together. She did not have a sleeping bag on her pack; he did.

I thought, "Great opportunity to alert them with my whistle!" Stuffing my earplugs in, I let loose with a huge burst of trill. They looked curiously around, but not back. It was as though a little bird had perhaps made a little noise. In that great wide open, the emergency whistle wasn't attracting any attention at all!

I tried again. No response! I carried the sleeping bag to the next town, and walking up to about the third bar, there she sat! She was delighted, and I had learned a lesson about my whistle, too!

So, don't pack your fears. The whistle may come in handy, if someone is really listening for you. Otherwise, it may be a little bird in the great wide open!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So, don't pack your fears. The whistle may come in handy, if someone is really listening for you. Otherwise, it may be a little bird in the great wide open!
What a funny story. Teeet. Teeeeeeeeet. Teeeeeeeeeeetttt! "Huh?"
And very good advice.

Buen camino to you all!
My feet are itching.

Time to start packing. Madrid tomorrow, staying with a Camino friend, then Tuesday to Pamplona by train. Trains and buses are supreme services in Spain. Find me a bed, either at the albergue municipal Jesus y Maria, or something else if full. All will go well: Lots of possibilities in Pamplona. Don't worry so much about a bed. And then I hit the Way on Wednesday.

I have noticed that there is high traffic, so will stay in between those Brierly stages. First night in Obanos maybe, next in Villatuerta, maybe. Good stop for pausing by the wine fountain next day ;)

To you: Stop before your feet go bad, and adjust your stops so you are out of the most popular stops. Let your feet and body adjust to long walking. Some people follow the guides as slaves. Do not fall into that trap. Easier to get a bed outside the pack. Most of all: Do not let it stress you; enjoy the walk, take off your shoes and enjoy a coffee or beer regularly. So many rush it, and when reaching SdC they suddenly understand that the walk is over, and they were rushing it. Remember the Way is the goal! Enjoy many days.

Packing guideline: What you know you will need goes into the pack. What you think you need/nice to have, stays at home.

Buen Camino!
I found the best stops were off-stage.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great advice, alexwalker. I like that you planned for when you would be at the wine fountain! Priorities, people.

I am going through the packing head trip now. I'm leaving next week. Last week my pack was light and I have continued to add little stuff and remove extra stuff, but somehow my pack is now heavier than I want again. Guess I will ditch the fishing equipment and all the extra stuff for when I lose the first stuff.

Last edited:
I'll be starting the Sanabres next week and I love the thought of walking with all you other forum members. Maybe not on the same physical Camino - but making our different ways towards Santiago...

Buen Camino all!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, heading for the Madrid. Let's see how I go. I'm still getting the odd twinge in my foot (torn fascia), so fingers crossed.
Strange twinge your foot. I too have that. I have cut back in my walking and leave 2 weeks from today. Did you consider cortisone? I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Finished a few weeks ago and yes a LOT of pilgrims but no bed issues,buen Camino.

Strange twinge your foot. I too have that. I have cut back in my walking and leave 2 weeks from today. Did you consider cortisone? I don't know what to do.

It is worth getting a proper diagnosis- in my case a diagnostic ultrasound showed a 10cm tear in the fascia. So I then had a cortisone injection and physiotherapy, plus months of not walking until it had healed properly. I'm now doing lots of exercises to keep the arch muscles strong.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen caminos to both you vets. I am looking forward to having the time for a longer walk next year. I am very fond of the El Salvador and the Ingles but they don't really give me enough time to really get into the groove. :(

Hi Al the Optimist, why not Le Puy to SJPdP. I walked it this May/June and it was fantastic. It is a beautiful camino.

Petro

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I cut back on my walking a few months. But have been able to do the elliptical and bike. I had a for massage a ffee days ago. That person stretched my foot pout really well. I will go back. I leave in the 18th from NYC. Arrive in Lisbon on tues. in the morning. I wonder ifI should have done cortisone. Bom Caminho Kanga

I have strange twinge to everything....but I seem to be able to ignore it all..most of the time and plod on..

Hope you are having a fine adventure mi amigo Alex.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back