• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the road again (+Levante & Sanabres)

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Howdy there!

It happened that I couldn't do it last year (medical & judicial issues - no, I wasn't arrested for my moniker :D otherwise I would ask @peregrina2000 to defend me) but something beautiful happened to me this year. Won't go into details.

First the plan was to walk Via Augusta followed with Via de la Plata and Sanabres but two days after the decision my father suffered brain stroke. I can't leave my family for 2,5 months alone with him so I decided on shorter combo. That's why I'm posting this here:
- Camino de Madrid: Tres Cantos - Cercedilla & Segovia - Villeguillo
- Camino de Levante: Medina del Campo - Zamora
- VdlP: Zamora - La Granja de Moreruela,
- Sanabres: La Granja de Moreruela - Santiago dC
- Finisterre & Muxia afterwards.

Start on April 19th from Madrid so feel free to jump in with new info if you'd be few days ahead or give heads up where we can meet! We would love to share a drink or two.

I really do hope to see some of you!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kinky, we have missed you. The work on the Invierno revisions was just not as much fun without being able to bicker with you about tiny details. ;). But on a serious note, I am so sorry to hear about your father. I am glad that you have found a way to combine camino with family obligations -- I remember when my mom was very ill, she was most insistent that I stick with my camino plans. Life is short.

I'll have to look at a map, but I get the general idea. Explain your Madrid to Levante crossover. I know we have talked about that on several other threads. I remember thinking that Santa Maria la Real de Nieva to Arevalo would be a good spot to do it -- all on country roads, and Arevalo is such a great little town. But I can't find Vileguillo on a map, so I can't see what you are planning to do!

So glad you are back on the forum and so glad that some good things have been happening, too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Laurie :)

From Villeguillo to Medina del Campo is 30km on tarmac road and we plan to hitch hike or take a taxi for that stretch. Not much AG tracks that run along mentioned road I could find on maps. My time this year is very limited and I already walked these routes so I have no problem with skipping parts of it.

Villeguillo is a small village with nice renovated albergue with fully equipped kitchen. And Bar Calimero, possibly the funniest bar I was in on all of my Caminos. And I have been in a few, believe me, hahaha.

Don't know how much I'll be back on the forum though. I have to check if anything changed (for the betterr) in "I shouldn't mention who's" policy. That was really a huuuge put off for me. But I posted this just because I like to see the faces behind the names.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Great to see you back here @KinkyOne - so sorry to hear about you Dad. I'm sure it has been a tough time for your family.

Whenever you post about a Camino plan I get itchy feet and want to explore a new route! Wising you well with your planning and your walking. And how nice that something beautiful happened to you this year!

Great to see you back here @KinkyOne - so sorry to hear about you Dad. I'm sure it has been a tough time for your family.

Whenever you post about a Camino plan I get itchy feet and want to explore a new route! Wising you well with your planning and your walking. And how nice that something beautiful happened to you this year!
Yeah, well, it won't be a discovery of a new route this year but I'm very much looking forward to do some of already walked again. Nice memories from all four routes (Madrid, Levante, Sanabres & Finisterre) for me.
You changed your avatar photo. Much better :)

Any Camino plans this year?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yeah, well, it won't be a discovery of a new route this year but I'm very much looking forward to do some of already walked again. Nice memories from all four routes (Madrid, Levante, Sanabres & Finisterre) for me.
You changed your avatar photo. Much better :)
Any Camino plans this year?

We've no fixed plans yet, other than walking 'somewhere' for about 3 weeks in June. For the first time since 2013, I don't feel any sense of urgency about that decision.

And re. my avatar photo - I had just stepped off a bus to visit an old Camino friend on the Le Puy route. I was a tourist rather than a sweaty hiker that day!

I'll be in Santiago May 20th, who knows... Sorry to hear the news of your father, I wish you both strength. Buen camino(s).

I doubt very much that I'll be in SdC earlier than on May 20th, but I plan to post at least the dates when coming to main stops as Zamora, Ourense, SdC etc. So who knows, maybe we meet :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Woo-hoo, hi Kinky! You are going to have a blast. Sorry I can’t get to Spain this year. Maybe I can ‘live’ vicariously off your adventures instead. Stay in touch if you can (I’ll catch you on Whatsapp too).
What a super itinerary you have planned. I hope you keep notes on your ‘crossover’ point to Levante.
Cheers, Grace

Hey Kinky,
Although no details to share with you, I just wanted to pop in and say good to "see" you and hear of your interesting Camino combo.

Wishing you, your family and especially your dad strength, rehabilitation following a stroke is tough.

Cheers
LT

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for all of your good wishes.
Although we do not practice religion I'm sure some of my "energy" will flow back to my dad. He might not understand what this fixation of mine with Camino is all about but he said I should go. He loves me. And I love him. It's not about Camino only anymore :)

Hi Kinky
I love your attitude to life and family. A beautiful relationship. Wishing you a Buen Camino ..
I will be on CM much earlier. Starting with others from forum on March 23

All the best wishes for your Dad and so pleased to read you’ve had good things happening in your life. Very positive.
Annie

Hi Kinky
I love your attitude to life and family. A beautiful relationship. Wishing you a Buen Camino ..
I will be on CM much earlier. Starting with others from forum on March 23

All the best wishes for your Dad and so pleased to read you’ve had good things happening in your life. Very positive.
Annie
Hola, Annie,

Thank you very much for your kind words and wishes.
I dream steps on CdM as it is such beautiful Camino. I wish you clear sky and warm weather!
If you need any info you know where to find me :)

K1

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@KinkyOne so very good to see you back here and even better to know you’ll be on the trail. I’m heading Rome-ward for early part of this year and who knows where in the autumn. I finished Madrid this year in November and really would like to walk CF in winter now I think. Buen camino. Tim
Hi, Tim!

Nice to see you're still kickin' ;) Italy is a beautiful country not to mention all the cultural and historical heritage on its soil but I'm drawn to Spain. It's just my kind of country I guess. Wish you Buen Camino too :)

Hi, Laurie :)

From Villeguillo to Medina del Campo is 30km on tarmac road and we plan to hitch hike or take a taxi for that stretch. Not much AG tracks that run along mentioned road I could find on maps. My time this year is very limited and I already walked these routes so I have no problem with skipping parts of it.

Villeguillo is a small village with nice renovated albergue with fully equipped kitchen. And Bar Calimero, possibly the funniest bar I was in on all of my Caminos. And I have been in a few, believe me, hahaha.

Don't know how much I'll be back on the forum though. I have to check if anything changed (for the betterr) in "I shouldn't mention who's" policy. That was really a huuuge put off for me. But I posted this just because I like to see the faces behind the names.

Have a nice day!

Very good to see you here again. I may be doing the camino del Alba and part of the Lana from April 15th for a few weeks until the heat drives me back up my hill, so we will overlap in Spain, but sadly several 100km apart.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear, KO
Please pass on my regards and best wishes to your father. I had such a lovely time with you both in 2015. Thanks again for your hospitality.

I am delighted to hear that 'something beautiful' has happened for you this past year. May you continue to be blessed!

...Buen camino, for 19 April!

Cheers
LK

Hi, Alan,
What are the chances to meet (incidentally) @peregrina2000 in the corridor of pension in Leon? I'd say close to none but exactly that happened two years ago. So I guess we have better chances to meet someday :)

Buen Camino!

Safe travels my friend

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lovely to see you again!

A couple of times you wrote that "we" will walk different routes - are you walking WITH someone this time?

Would love to see you some time, and fully expect our paths to cross some time on one of the lesser-travelled caminos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear, KO
Please pass on my regards and best wishes to your father. I had such a lovely time with you both in 2015. Thanks again for your hospitality.

I am delighted to hear that 'something beautiful' has happened for you this past year. May you continue to be blessed!

...Buen camino, for 19 April!

Cheers
LK
Nice to hear from you again, LK :)

Dad is thanking for good wishes and is asking when you'll come again for that bone marrow on the bread so he knows when to start preparing the soup :D

Obviously in my case what goes around comes around works. Or better put "pay it forward". It did.
Hope you're OK and that the flute is still working. Otherwise come to Trieste and I'll pick you up ;)

...bone marrow on bread... sigh...

...the flute? That one-kilo-lump of metal is hibernating in a red velvet-lined box. The next time we pass the day, I'll Wow your dad with the skill of my humble flûte-a-bec plastique, weightless. Perhaps he can teach me some Slovenian folk songs....

Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spend two very nice days in Madrid fro aclimatisations sake
Also met two forum members (USA & Slovenia). We are all starting today but with different pace. Let's see what a future will bring...
Will get back with some info if the things have changed.

A lot of good wishes for Mozarabe crew

Oh, there's a new well marked route from St.Sebastian church to Tres Cantos as I learned today. It's in latest CSJ on-line guide but not in printed version.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walk safe my friend. BC

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Today walked Tres Cantos to Colmenar Viejo.
From the turn off to the town to cemetery in CV 7,8km according to Wikiloc. Track already posted today, search under Camino de Madrid: Tres Cantos................. etc. All together 10.1km to Vuardia Civil cuartel, opposite is Bar Greco and the neighbour renting rooms. 20€ pp.
Otherwise we crossed stream 8 times. One crossing without stepping stones, two with missing one stone. But not for short legged, they are pretty much apart.
Nice weather though, 24C and sunny. Enjoying

I think tomorrow we'll go to albergue in Mataelpino.

Thanks all for nice wishes!

Hola, your history is like mine. My father was operated this winter, so I decided to skip Camino Surestre in April and instead walk Via de Bayona in July. Thank’s for sending me your notes for that trip! If time permits, I will also try to get on Camino de San Olav (I'm Scandinavian). Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Today (Fri, 20.04.) Two of us walked only to Manzanares el Real and the other peregrina all the way to Mataelpino. I walked it already so nothing to prove when ankle begins to act up.
6 km to Puente Medieval. The whole way excellent marking (fresh paint) except maybe at the spot just before highway underpass before Puente. Some old arrows pointing to the left but crossed. Was the same in 2014 but not hard to understand to go straight although no arrows indicating that.

In Manzanares the bus station is on main road across from Dia supermercado. Frequent buses to Mataelpino. Bus no.724, cost 1,30€ pp. Feom Mataelpino bus station go up and right and straight and you come to Plaza Mayor.
Albergue very close and easy to find. Hospitalera speaks some basic English. Albergue is new and in excellent condition, clean, with cover sheets provided. 22 places (4+10 on ground floor and 8 on 1st floor) in unks, small kitchen with toaster, fridge and miceowave oven, one bathroom on each floor, spacious diner roon, 8€. Can only recommend!!!

Interesting fact. In Colmenar we didn't want to retrace ro Ayto or church and instead we asked for sello at Guardia Civil. Had to wait for 15 minut for them to decide if we are eligible for their sello

Still great weather. Hope others walking right now has the same!

Only Mataelpino to Navacerrada today, then taxi (17€, tel.no. at taxi stand on main plaza) to Cercedilla train station and 13:32 train (3,65€, less trains on Saturdays that's why taxi) to Segovia.
Still a lot of water on trails, snow melting in the hills, but quite bearable. After Mataelpino 5,4km you cross main road. Camino is very wet! 7.3km to Ayuntamiento.

One peregrina walked aĺ the way to Cercedilla and had interesting experience (similar to mine in 2014) with janitor/hospitalero-don't-want-to-be of polideportivo. Monday is a work free day over here but I missed what it was for, and he said that polideporrivo is closed on Sunday so she can't stay there. She then went to turist office and very nice lady called the police, they callled the janitor and all was good
When she returned there was also a Lithuanian couple so there are three people sleeping in that "almost famous" gym in Cercedilla. Just to let you know not to be intimidated by that janitor. He teied almost the same trick with me. Well, it didn't work

Hey, K1, I somehow missed this thread when you started it and am delighted to know you are out there.
Heartfelt buen camino wishes!
And just to say that I was touched to read about your Dad, and how you are supporting him. I hope he is recovering well. Not easy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon in Medina del Campo with my hero, KinkyOne, and his lovely walking companion (I won't mention names here, in case she wants to remain unknown). Quite a few beers were sunk (I was on the Rueda wine!) and lots of anecdotes were exchanged.

If you don't know the guy, you're missing out!

What a legend!

Buen Camino to you both, and see you again soon!

Don't believe the guy everything he says. Apart from obvious which are Rueda white, beers and my lovely companion.
If you would have a chance to meet @Charrito you would clearly see that he is a "bigger" legend than I am

It was indeed a lovely meet-up on Levante. And my companion says that it was a true pleasure meeting such an interesting gentlemen!

Hope to see you again Peter and I wouldn't mind walking a Camino with you at all!

Best from both of us

Because I'm already on Camino de Levante I will post last updates on Madrid here and then switch over to the next topic.

On Sunday @Nitka walked over Fuenfria and she said that there were some waist deep drafts of snow by the path. Otherwise the crust on the 30cm deep snow was steong enough to hold the adult.
In Sta.Maria la Real de Nieva I quite incidentally meet with @Felipe (sorry I didn't recognised you in Neva but I was on the phone with @Charrito ) who crossed Fuenfria and told that the snow is already melting, crost is none and walking is quite tiredsome.

I think that Madrid is gettin a lot of attention right now. Albergues in Sta.Maria and Nave full, had to sleep in a hotel in Nave.
But it's nice

See you in Levante section...

And I am also confused. I thought I already read about Toro. Kinky you are too peripatetic.

But I am so jealous to hear about a @Charrito
@KinkyOne meet-up. I may just make it to Salamanca, though, @Charrito! I will let you know.
Well, Laurie, maybe @Charrito could take you to a ride up north on Sanabres which I will hit tomorrow and we can have a bottle or five ;) of Tempranillo...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back