• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the road again...?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Hi pilgrims & wannabies,

Seeking comments and community insight here:

It has been 18 months of confinement in our apartment due to CovID, apart from 3 needed weeks in Crete this summer. Me and my better half are both doubly vaccinated, but the thing is, we both agree that some time separated would possibly be a good thing. I do not mean breaking up, by all means; We are very happy with each other's company. We just agree that some private time could do us both good, as I am sure many of you have experienced in these times and lockdowns, living much closer than we never have done before; (She has never walked a Camino, while I have walked many. Bc of bad knees, she cannot walk with me anyway).

Due to personal obligations, I cannot leave until Oct. 15 but then I can go.

Missing the Camino (CF for me) is difficult. The calling is strong now. I have checked: I can get a cheap flight( 200 Euros) to Barcelona Oct. 15, go to the railway station there and catch a train that will deliver me to Pamplona early evening, prebook an overnight stay, and start walking (to Uterga, I think) the next morning, and so I am on my way to SdC.

I will be walking the rest of Oct. as well as how long it takes (end of Nov.) to SdC. I have no time or (relative) cost restraints, being a pensioner.

What I am worried about, is places to stay and eat, since many albergues are shutting down from Nov. 1st. It seems, however, that there are enough places open all year for it to be doable. As for food, as long as I can find an open tienda (food shop), I will survive well. I have normally walked April/May or late Aug./Sept./Earle Oct. Never late Oct./Now. I should also mention that I do not want to rush it: I can take shorter days, reading a book in the afternoon, sipping a glass, eating well, and sleep long hours.

So I am in unchartered territory: I have never before walked this time of year. I should mention, that coming from Arctic Norway, a former winter soldier, I know how to survive in cold climate/snow. I just don't want it. For goodness sake, I am heading for sunny Spain...

It would be very interesting to hear experiences from people who have confronted the CF in Oct./Nov./early Dec.

Never too old to listen and learn.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@alexwalker, I think you will be just fine. I have no experience walking that time of year, but if you bring the right layers and gloves, I think you will have no problems, especially being from Norway. I hate the cold, but if I were in your shoes, I think I would be a "happy camper". All the best to you and I hope you will be posting on the forum while you are walking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi pilgrims & wannabies,

It has been 18 months of confinement in our apartment due to CovID, apart from 3 needed weeks in Crete this summer. Me and my better half are both doubly vaccinated, but the thing is, we both agree that some time separated would possibly be a good thing. I do not mean breaking up, by all means; We are very happy with each other's company. We just agree that some private time could do us both good, as I am sure many of you have experienced in these times and lockdowns, living much closer than we never have done before; (She has never walked a Camino, while I have walked many. Bc of bad knees, she cannot walk with me anyway).

Missing the Camino (CF for me) is difficult. The calling is strong now. I have checked: I can get a cheap flight( 200 Euros) to Barcelona Oct. 15, go to the railway station there and catch a train that will deliver me to Pamplona early evening, prebook an overnight stay, and start walking (to Uterga, I think) the next morning, and so I am on my way to SdC.

I will be walking the rest of Oct. as well as how long it takes (end of Nov.) to SdC. I have no time or (relative) cost restraints, being a pensioner.

What I am worried about, is places to stay and eat, since many albergues are shutting down from Nov. 1st. It seems, however, that there are enough places open all year for it to be doable. As for food, as long as I can find an open tienda (food shop), I will survive well. I have normally walked April/May or late Aug./Sept./Earle Oct. Never late Oct./Now. I should also mention that I do not want to rush it: I can take shorter days, reading a book in the afternoon, sipping a glass, eating well, and sleep long hours.

So I am in unchartered territory: I have never before walked this time of year. I should mention, that coming from Arctic Norway, a former winter soldier, I know how to survive in cold climate/snow. I just don't want it. For goodness sake, I am heading for sunny Spain...

It would be very interesting to hear experiences from people who have confronted the CF in Oct./Nov./early Dec.

I think this is the season @mspath often walked…

I walked late Sept until almost mid-Nov 2019 and found the trail pretty busy still. I could always find accommodation, a beer, midday tortilla and coffee. All I remember is by the time I got to Santiago I was DONE with the rain.

As long as you have the means to phone/book out for ease of mind and planning, and have the flexibility for shorter days, it sounds like a welcome post-covid adventure!

Also the camino is calling, a good sign if you ask me! 😉

Buen Camino....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi pilgrims & wannabies,

Seriously, it’s no big deal. In normal years there are fewer places open than in summer; but sufficient for the numbers walking. I’ve walked three times in November.

Even in a bad snow year (and that’s January and February, not November …) it’s nothing like the north of Scotland or Norway. In my youth I spent a few weeks being chased all over the Hardangavidda by your fellow countrymen, all of whom seemed to be over two meters tall. It’s nothing like that whatsoever. Just a bit chilly.

Oh, and by the way - my wife and I are really looking forward to a few weeks away from each other. Pre-lockdown if anyone said we had to spend 18 months together without a break, both of us would have laughed for days. It’s healthy to have your own space.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Alex,

October/November is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Do be aware however that many albergues started to close mid October during earlier, easier years however there was always some place open .

For personal commentary regarding walking several years at this time see my Camino Gazetteer.

Check out this earlier Forum topic for earlier posts with helpful info re
walking in October- November.

Whenever/wherever you do go
Godpeed and Carpe diem.

Last edited:
Alex,
For your journey I stress this bit of info re: carrying food supplies

Furthermore difficult CF stretches after storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recently watched a YouTube series of a couple from Ireland that completed a winter Camino with a small baby. They did brilliantly...and found accommodation and bars, seemingly, without too much trouble (and this was in Jan/Feb). I suspect you'll do ok...at least I hope so...as we'll be behind you by about 10 days. I look forward to your reports...and Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've walked the CF in December and it's tough at times but unforgettable. Rain, snow at times but sun also and great vistas always. Best of all is the cameraderie between pilgrims at such times. You'll have no trouble finding places to stay, as far as my experience goes, but gear up ... Good rain gear and boots, gaiters, merino thermals and socks are a must, and a lightweight cooking set for coffee and stews is worth every cent and every gramme. Good luck, you'll love it.

I've walked the CF in December and it's tough at times but unforgettable. Rain, snow at times but sun also and great vistas always. Best of all is the cameraderie between pilgrims at such times. You'll have no trouble finding places to stay, as far as my experience goes, but gear up ... Good rain gear and boots, gaiters, merino thermals and socks are a must, and a lightweight cooking set for coffee and stews is worth every cent and every gramme. Good luck, you'll love it.
Thank you very much! I have all I need, except gaiters, which I must say seems like a very good idea, and I hadn't thought about that. Strange, since I always used them in the Army... Another Camino expense going out on Monday... :)

I'll leave the cooking to the locals, to support the local economy, though...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Alex,

In 2018 I walked from SJPDP to Santiago starting mid October, actually caught the last bus from Pamplona. Crossing the Pyrenees was clearer than when I did it the first time in the month of July! I did hit snow in Atapuerca on October 31st but it disappeared once outside of Burgos never to be seen again - O Cebreiro and even Foncebadón were snow free!

I've also walked Burgos-Sarria in January where we did get quite some snow in O Cebreiro but as soon as we reached lower altitudes and by Tricastela no snow in sight.

What you will need is to do is watch this website:
http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/
It is updated as of November 1st with names of albergues open in the winter. It was correct the majority of the time but once in a while an albergue was open and not on the list and another time on the list and not open. I always called in advance to make sure. Of course this was pre-Covid times, the list may be shorter this year.

I would definitely go for it. I love walking in autumn and would do so if I didn't have to work in October and November.

Ultreia!

I've only walked on the other side of winter - starting the 1st week of March. So I have no specifics to offer. One thing to keep in mind, though, if the weather ahead looks dicey for the stretch through O Cebreiro - you can always avoid the snow by walking the Invierno.

Go for it @alexwalker. October-November in Spain will definitely be warmer (and lighter) than home.
Buen camino!

@alexwalker Phil walked from Logrono to Granon in early December of 2018. He kept the Aprinca website in sight and called ahead as needed. Never a problem with that stretch. The more limited stretch was between Granon and Burgos and some of our pilgrims leaving Granon had to walk longer distances due to albergues being closed on holidays etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked from Orthez (France) to Finistere, starting off late October 2019. Never slept in a ditch! And never starved! Arrived Finistere properly into December.
Not infrequently I slept alone in municipals, private albergues and occasionally above a bar etc. Fantastic snow storm around Foncebadon, and plenty of rain fell - though mostly in Galicia. Fantastic skies everywhere.
It was all fine - and I am old, walk modest distances, and can only carry 5/6 kg!

Right now am in Castildelgado CF in a wonderful Albergue.
Having no trouble turning up wherever I need to stop (mostly without reservation). The welcome everywhere generally is overwhelming. Lovely.
Am sad for what the hospitaleros and hospitaleras have endured - with Covid plus the economics - in the small villages and “between” places most especially.

Side bar: I wear a mask walking through all small villages - many villagers wear them while out and about. In one village - 4 senior men on a bench - 3 masked - 1 unmasked. The anti-masker admonished me - the air was pure in his village and so I shouldn’t be wearing a mask! 😊

I arrived in Santiago on Christmas Eve one year, having come from Seville. A bit of snow over Padornelo, and some more past A Gudiña (where I saw what I think must have been wolf prints in the snow, miles from any farm). Never had any trouble finding a bed (the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria was closed, but the Carlos V hostal open and very good value). One year I arrived in Santiago on St Andrew's Day (Nov 30) after the longest drought in 30+ years - no rain at all while I was walking from within sight of Africa until the day after I got to Santiago. (other years I have been sodden for days on end ...).

The pic is of a full moon in close conjunction with Jupiter on Christmas Eve 2012.

Attachments

• santiago jupiter moon large-1.jpg
    santiago jupiter moon large-1.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 1
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all for your good advice and thoughts! Being a man from the Arctic, the period from Oct-Mar is a no-no for walking, but hey - Sunny Spain is not the Arctic!

It's been 2 years of non-Camino for me, and I need to go now. Depending on airfare cost, I will be in Pamplona 15/18th this month.

I am sorry to say that my Oct.-Nov. Camino must be cancelled.

My sister's (84) brain stroke (light) on Sunday (I am a responsible little brother; I promised her many years ago that I would always take care of her), and an unexpected needed participation in a series of nation-wide computer training sessions of website designers (I am the teacher), has left me stranded in my country for the next months. But my revenge will be gruesome, but unjust: I am moving my focus on March 2022.

Will try to start out a good week before Easter, so that the Easter pack will be behind me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll leave the cooking to the locals, to support the local economy, though...
Do carry some food though… I normally never do on the CF but I walked it this year in June and many days, there were no places open between departure and arrival (roughly 20/25 km). It may be the same this late in the season …
You may have (like I did) to stay in bigger towns instead of small villages to ensure a bed and a meal.

Jealous, moi? 😁😉
Buen camino 😎

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back