• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Rota Vicentina!

LTfit

Veteran Member
6.30 a.m. flight from Amsterdam to Lisbon, bus from the airport to Sete Rios bus station (€3.50) and Rede Expressos bus to Santiago do Cacém (€13.30).

Visited the Santiago church, the castle ruins and learned the different terms for coffee in Portuguese ;). Staying at A Cocheira for €15. Run by a Dutch couple!

Tomorrow off to do the first two stages of the Historical Way then Saturday already make my way to the Fisherman's Way.

Will post fotos from my phone if someone could explain how. Since the Forum app was discontinued I haven't been able to post anything!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, LT, So glad that the transportation from airport to Sete Ríos worked out.

I would love to be walking behind you on this route. Can't wait to see how you like walking in Portugal. I wouldn't get my hopes up about Portuguese coffee if I were you, I think it's one of the few parts of life in Portugal that doesn't get 5***** from me. But maybe your experience will be different.

Keep in touch and have a great walk. Abracos from Laurie

Hi LT,
Have a good walk. I'll be on the Rota Vincentina shortly starting in Cabo Vincente, after walking the Via Serrana from Gibraltar to Sevilla. Looking forward to your pictures and comments.
Adeus,
Jean-Marc

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi LT,
Have a good walk. I'll be on the Rota Vincentina shortly starting in Cabo Vincente, after walking the Via Serrana from Gibraltar to Sevilla. Looking forward to your pictures and comments.
Adeus,
Jean-Marc

Well, Canuck, if you are starting soon in Cabo Sao Vicente, and LT is starting in Santiago do Cacem tomorrow, you two may run into each other as she heads south and you go north!

Will post fotos from my phone if someone could explain how. Since the Forum app was discontinued I haven't been able to post anything!
Hi LT,

Uploading photos from the phone is very similar to how you do it on the computer. To upload a photo in a post, just click the "Upload a file" button:
Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 09.00.49.png

You will be asked to find the photo to upload on your phone (differs a bit depending on what phone you use). Once selected, it will be uploaded.

Once this is done, you will see the photo under your post as a thumbnail (small photo, that users need to click on to see it in full size). To insert the photo as a large photo in your post, just click the "Full image" button next to it.
Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 09.01.31.png

Hope this helps!
Ivar

Well, Canuck, if you are starting soon in Cabo Sao Vicente, and LT is starting in Santiago do Cacem tomorrow, you two may run into each other as she heads south and you go north!

Hi Laurie,
I thought about that possibility as well, but I won't be on the Rota Vicentina for another 2-3 weeks. LT should be finished by then. If not, I would certainly welcome the opportunity to shoot the breeze with her somewhere along the way.
Cheers,
J-M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi LT,
Adeus,
Jean-Marc
The Via Serrana that is a route I would really like to hear comments on, its almost worth walking it just to go through Ronda. Buen Camino to you and LTfit

Friday March 11 Day One:
Santiago do Cacém - Vale Seco (18km) - Cercal do Alentejo 41 km
Yesterday started off cool - wore pants, a fleece and gloves but within one hour I was peeling off clothes. By the time I reached Vale Seco at 10.30 I was in 3/4 leggings and a T-shirt. It is already light out at 6.30 and cafés open at 6.00 so I get a galão (café con leche) before heading out.

The walk was superb! The landscape reminds me of around Caraboso on the Plata but with the ups and downs of the Norte after Irún.

The signage is WONDERFUL! No way to get lost. The Historical Way uses the red and white GR signs.

No one walking. My company are goats, sheep and LOTS of dogs, mostly chained or behind a fence but not always. I am definitely not afraid of dogs but on two occasions I was very happy to have my sticks crossed behind me as protection.

During the 41 km there were only 3 sections of asphalt of about 100 meters each.

The standard stage is 18 km to Vale Seco but it is a hamlet with only a casa rural which is not in my budget. As is, I paid more than I would have liked in Cercal do Alentejo but the hostal was a private room and shower with own terrace for €25 through Expedia.

Sorry folks but now I can't even upload pictures ...I get an error reading that the file is too large. You will just have to believe me that the Rota Vicentina is beautiful. Maybe when home and download the foto's to my computer it will work.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Today day two:
Cercal do Alentejo - Porto Covo 18 km

Made my way west to the coast to Porto Covo which is where the Fisherman's way begins. I had originally wanted to walk the entire Historical Way but the accommodations were too expensive as there is no equivalent to a Spanish albergue or hostal. All along the Fisherman's Way you can sleep in surfer's hostels for €15, sheets and towels included.

Todays walk went from hilly terrain through cork and eucalyptus forrests to sandy paths downhill to the coast. It is spectacular - rocky with little coves. Porto Covo is a small tourist town but now off season so quiet. Was already here at 10.30 but was advised not to do two stages today as tomorrow is 20 km through sand.

Today walked in t-shirt straight away as temperatures up to 20 c and sun blasting. Just perfect.

So far happily walking.

Hi @LTfit, sounds like you're having a great time! Enjoy the spectacular walk along the coast for the next few days, and don't get too discouraged by the loose sand. It gets better after the first day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's not sand all the way: a few hundred metres along the beach at the start of the walk, then some sandy patches off and on along the cliffs for the next few days -- I think the longest stretch is about 300m on the first day. Mind you, in the blazing autumn sun, it certainly felt like 20km.

Sorry guys haven't kept up with this 'live' thread. This morning we (my Italian walking companion and I) arrived at the lighthouse at the Cabo de São Vicente. Officially the end of the Rota Vicentina. I started last Friday so have walked for 9 days.

Except for a shower yesterday afternoon the weather has been warm during the day and cool at night.

Today and tomorrow in Raposeira in the house of a friend. May head up to Lisbon on Monday and walk a few days of the Portugués. This was not planned and have no wifi at my friends house (now in a bar). @peregrina2000 Laurie: what would you recommend as 4 stages out from Lisbon? Or anyone else @anniethenurse?

Credential at the Cathedral I assume.

When home I will update with pictures.

Cheers
LT

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, LT, Congrats! Can't wait to hear a bit more.

Here's a quick stab at four days that would work for you, but check out the guide in resources for more detail.

Day 1 -- cathedral to Vila Franca (37)
Day 2 -- Vila Franca to Ponte Muge (35) (pilgrim price 20 in casa rural, Quinta da Marchanta)
Day 3 -- Golega (30)
Day 4 -- Tomar (16) -- way too short for you, I know, but going on would be 35 km more to Alviaizare, I think. The Convento de Cristo up on the hill is so worth a visit, and this is a place you can get a train back to LIsbon easily.

I also think spending time in Lisbon would be enjoyable, and there are plenty of hills to walk up and down to chalk up those kms. :)

Thanks Laurie, in Lagos waiting for bus to Lisboa.
Sorry for asking @peregrina2000 but what is I wanted to start walking today? Any suggestions?
If I decide to stay the night in Lisboa I see that there is a youth hostal (I got a discount card from the one in Arrifana). Any idea how far from the Camino?

I downloaded list of albergues.

Thanks for your help!
Un abrazo.

Hi, LT,
If you want to start walking, you have a couple of options. Walk just to the Parque das Nacoes (only 8 km but it takes you out to the river and is a nice riverside destination with the aquarium and a few other places). If you walk from the cathedral, you will also pass by the Tile Museum, very well worth a visit. There is a youth hostel out at Parque Nacoes, listed in the guide.

There are lots and lots of youth hostels in Lisbon, the only one that seems to escape the plague of college kids is the one out at Parque Nacoes.

The albergue in Alpriate is not yet open, at least not that I know. The guide also details a slight detour to Verdelha, which would get you very close to Alverca for your first day. Bom Caminho!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back