• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino On the way to Lucca, Italy … Via Francigena

Thomas Yingst

Tom ... “the kid”
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal. May 2019
On the way to Lucca, Italy ... Via Francigena

Today, I actually talked to a real person on the trail. So far, I have mostly interacted with lizards, snakes, birds, and dogs. I do give the “buongiorno” greeting to people as I pass by, in places near the villages. Anyway, I just made it to the bottom of a steep incline when I ran into a guy that was standing by his bicycle trying to decide if he was going to try and ride up. I was able to communicate that it would be difficult to even carry his bike up this hill. He thanked me and found a different route. So that was my only Via Francigena sustained human interaction on the path. I do try to talk to people at the places I’m staying ... difficult because I’m limited in my ability to speak Italian.

The walk today was mostly in the woods. Nothing really different than the past days ... I did take a picture of this old church I liked. The last couple of miles coming into Lucca was uneventful. But the gate leading into the historical old town was cool. Then I wondered around and saw the cathedral ... absolutely amazing.

AD38A736-79D0-46D5-BAE0-0E632FAE42A0.jpeg93E68C70-927C-480D-8B16-1332A396FAA0.jpeg7FC5132E-2C98-4145-9E35-2AAFC40038C3.jpeg571A79B2-17CA-4A8E-BE4B-33EB2103915E.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just spent 2 weeks inside the wall of Lucca. I'll go back. I know that church. When we walked the Camino we saw people on bikes too.

Most read last week in this forum

Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back