• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino, on this date in April...

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Here's the thread to post pictures, musings, etc. for any dates in April from any year, and for any Camino route.

When you respond, please mention the year, route you were on and where you walked (or rested) that day. Thanks!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is a lovely invitation. In 2013 - April 1st, my 60th birthday - I boarded a plane in Vancouver, BC en route to St. Jean to begin my first and, as yet, only camino. Five months in the planning, well-conditioned, backpack in the cabin with me, and telescopic poles and mini Swiss army knife and opinel knife in tube package in the hold ... the first time to Europe on my own.

Thanks for the memories. 😊😊

April 1, 2007

Finisterre

In hazy sunshine I walked alone the last 8km along the shore through Finisterre and beyond to Cape Finisterre, mentally saying adieu to 'my' camino.
Land's end was my journey's end; as always I had loved it all.

to Finisterre.jpg

The wind was brutal and the surf rough, but it was glorious to just be in the salty air. Wayside views were shore, scrub, and endless sea.

near Cape Finisterre.jpg

Cape Finisterre, Iron Cross.jpg

By the old iron cross I wept in the wind wondering about other journeys yet to be. Silently I offered thanks for life, for strength, and for perseverance to have successfully walked so many kilometers during these eight weeks.

In the nearby bar I treated myself to a flute of champagne, silently toasting all that has been and all who helped to make such a journey possible. I slowly sipped to better savour both the vast nautical panorama and intense personal euphoria.

When my glass was empty it was time to turn towards home thankful for the memories!

ULTREIA!

"This thou perceiv'st, which makes thy love more strong, To love that well, which thou must leave ere long."
Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXIII

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here's the thread to post pictures, musings, etc. for any dates in April from any year, and for any Camino route.

When you respond, please mention the year, route you were on and where you walked (or rested) that day. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 55
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
April 1, 2018 Camino de Madrid
Ciguñuela - Wamba (mid morning .. timed perfectly to join a guided tour of Iglésia de Santa Maria de Wamba and the Ossuary ) ) Peñaflor de Hornija (for lunch) Castromonte -Albergue for the night .

Attachments

• 7B6624FE-5474-4F93-B6E4-347034C0BEE6.jpeg
    7B6624FE-5474-4F93-B6E4-347034C0BEE6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 18FB5C5E-B023-4E30-8C33-CF60A26D1439.jpeg
    18FB5C5E-B023-4E30-8C33-CF60A26D1439.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 100E84B9-4460-4780-AFB9-55E10B720448.jpeg
    100E84B9-4460-4780-AFB9-55E10B720448.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 8D5E4A3B-24E0-4C77-8FAF-195593F26267.jpeg
    8D5E4A3B-24E0-4C77-8FAF-195593F26267.jpeg
    890.3 KB · Views: 21
  • F89E98CA-55B5-4B1A-9440-B4089D786668.jpeg
    F89E98CA-55B5-4B1A-9440-B4089D786668.jpeg
    819.6 KB · Views: 22
  • AC4E403D-DFC9-4F27-82F5-9848B9528680.jpeg
    AC4E403D-DFC9-4F27-82F5-9848B9528680.jpeg
    826.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 9281FA20-A47C-4FA1-8481-B18FD982B32C.jpeg
    9281FA20-A47C-4FA1-8481-B18FD982B32C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • C0583225-A26D-4395-BA91-4ED620C70D5A.jpeg
    C0583225-A26D-4395-BA91-4ED620C70D5A.jpeg
    988.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 9D235051-F624-4A54-A827-92D65502673C.jpeg
    9D235051-F624-4A54-A827-92D65502673C.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 29
April 1st 2014 we started Via de la Plata from Sevilla and after six weeks we were in Santiago. It was a long way...

Attachments

• 0BB23E28-414E-4020-9436-03B68BE55E2C.jpeg
    0BB23E28-414E-4020-9436-03B68BE55E2C.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 29
A selection of Camino Jewellery

I think I am going to have to wait till late September before I can participate!

April 8, 2015, first day of my first Camino on the Napoleon Route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, a day I will never forget. It was freezing cold, very windy and in places the snow was thigh deep. A real eye opener for a newbie from Australia. The confidence that day gave me has stayed with me through all my subsequent journeys. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️💛
1617321761618.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On this day in ´18, I left my snow/sleet covered stone scallop on my front steps to go on the VdlP...
Not bothering to bring a pair of long trousers, I resorted to don a pair of individual black bicycle leggings.
Looked like a friggin´ Marabou stork...took them off in Barcelona airports brilliant & warm spring weather...

1617355877985.png

before the day had set, I was in sunny Sevilla:

1617356140591.png

April 1, 2018 Camino de Madrid
Ciguñuela - Wamba (mid morning .. timed perfectly to join a guided tour of Iglésia de Santa Maria de Wamba and the Ossuary ) ) Peñaflor de Hornija (for lunch) Castromonte -Albergue for the night .
Have you ever posted your thoughts and remembrances of this Camino? It is one I have been thinking about doing one day.

April 8, 2015, first day of my first Camino on the Napoleon Route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, a day I will never forget. It was freezing cold, very windy and in places the snow was thigh deep. A real eye opener for a newbie from Australia. The confidence that day gave me has stayed with me through all my subsequent journeys. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️💛
View attachment 96777
I have a question and comment.
The comment is that even though I walked that first Camino on a beautiful day in September out of SJPP, and as I sat in the shower in the albergue in Roncesvalles I said to myself, if I survived that walk I definitely got this. I am sure you and I are not alone with that feeling of exhausted happiness and new found confidence.
Question, was the Napolean Route officially open and/or did you check with the Pilgrim office to see if it was safe to walk? Not a criticism just a question.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a question and comment.
The comment is that even though I walked that first Camino on a beautiful day in September out of SJPP, and as I sat in the shower in the albergue in Roncesvalles I said to myself, if I survived that walk I definitely got this. I am sure you and I are not alone with that feeling of exhausted happiness and new found confidence.
Question, was the Napolean Route officially open and/or did you check with the Pilgrim office to see if it was safe to walk? Not a criticism just a question.
Hi, This was before the advent of the current "closed" period for the Napoleon Route. Yes, I did check with the Pilgrim Office before departure and their advice was that the route was passable. I fell over a couple of times in the snow, but otherwise survived unscathed. Like you, I assured myself that if I could get through that first day I could handle anything, although a week later a terrible bout of gastro literally stopped me in my tracks! I have since walked the Valcarlos route twice and found that more difficult, especially in bad weather. Just my humble opinion - don't want to start a debate. Cheers. 🚶‍♂️

Hi, This was before the advent of the current "closed" period for the Napoleon Route. Yes, I did check with the Pilgrim Office before departure and their advice was that the route was passable. I fell over a couple of times in the snow, but otherwise survived unscathed. Like you, I assured myself that if I could get through that first day I could handle anything, although a week later a terrible bout of gastro literally stopped me in my tracks! I have since walked the Valcarlos route twice and found that more difficult, especially in bad weather. Just my humble opinion - don't want to start a debate. Cheers. 🚶‍♂️
No debate. is needed on that front. We all have our own definitions of difficult. When I walked in the CF November-December 2019 it was survival of the fittest when it came to illnesses. People got sick left and right. I had bronchial spasms for about 10 days. That was just loads and loads of fun. But wouldn't trade that camino for anything. It was fun and have a few more lifetime camino pilgrims to add to my wonderful list.

1 April 2018 - Easter Sunday
Roncesvalles
FA3DC97F-7A8B-454D-869D-383C84A27EF9.jpeg
The day before (31 March) I’d set out in light rain from St. Jean. Napoleon route was closed so of course I chose Valcarlos. As I gained altitude, the light rain & hail turned to light snow. Pretty! (I’m a California girl so snow is a novelty.) Then the snow got heavier & I started to worry I might lose the trail. Although it was my second Camino, it was my first time through the Pyrenees, and very humbling. There weren’t many markers, and I saw very few pilgrims. By mid-afternoon I was exhausted and drenched in sweat despite my fancy wooly layers, high-tech jacket & poncho. Had to keep moving to stay warm, although my legs were almost worn out from the endless climb — it was too cold to stop & rest for more than a minute. Wasn’t sure how much farther I had to go since my phone didn’t work in the mountains. Really thought I might have to spend the night in the snow if the snow obliterated the trail, and I was NOT prepared for that! Fortunately, I finally made it to Roncesvalles about 4:30pm without incident, overflowing with gratitude (& more than a few tears). I think of that day whenever I’m having a rough time. We are all of us so much stronger than we know, until we are tested. Buen camino.
31 March 2018 - along the Valcarlos route
80CD1D3D-C4CB-47CE-AB4C-5CA514D57546.jpeg

Roncesvalles
View attachment 96901
The day before (31 March) I’d set out in light rain from St. Jean. Napoleon route was closed so of course I chose Valcarlos. As I gained altitude, the light rain & hail turned to light snow. Pretty! (I’m a California girl so snow is a novelty.) Then the snow got heavier & I started to worry I might lose the trail. Although it was my second Camino, it was my first time through the Pyrenees, and very humbling. There weren’t many markers, and I saw very few pilgrims. By mid-afternoon I was exhausted and drenched in sweat despite my fancy wooly layers, high-tech jacket & poncho. Had to keep moving to stay warm, although my legs were almost worn out from the endless climb — it was too cold to stop & rest for more than a minute. Wasn’t sure how much farther I had to go since my phone didn’t work in the mountains. Really thought I might have to spend the night in the snow if the snow obliterated the trail, and I was NOT prepared for that! Fortunately, I finally made it to Roncesvalles about 4:30pm without incident, overflowing with gratitude (& more than a few tears). I think of that day whenever I’m having a rough time. We are all of us so much stronger than we know, until we are tested. Buen camino.
View attachment 96902
...from somewhere after Valcarlos the gradient to the top is formidable. Glad to hear you made it..!!

Roncesvalles
View attachment 96901
View attachment 96902
Great story, really enjoyed it. Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Roncesvalles
View attachment 96901
View attachment 96902
Thanks for sharing your memories; glad to read that you made it safely up to the monastery. Ultreia!

On the Way Tolosana, 6th/7th April 2019. Started in Toulouse, finished in Lourdes. Photos taken in L’Isle-Jourdain and Léguevin.
I’m including the forest because I was soooo pleased not to get lost in it 😁 (It was touch and go but my 3 guidebooks saw me through 😉).
Two more pics: Montégut and Auch in the distance (around 9th April).

Attachments

• F4EF49A9-07FC-4F7D-9E7A-0D079001FC49.jpeg
    F4EF49A9-07FC-4F7D-9E7A-0D079001FC49.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • 1EA100D9-4036-4A6D-8936-FF070A03154E.jpeg
    1EA100D9-4036-4A6D-8936-FF070A03154E.jpeg
    620.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 8F3546D1-38CB-4414-B028-E3DE5CC39D6B.jpeg
    8F3546D1-38CB-4414-B028-E3DE5CC39D6B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 39D25428-D308-4479-8C50-8B4B7FEDD391.jpeg
    39D25428-D308-4479-8C50-8B4B7FEDD391.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • A8CED8F2-0337-4F98-A239-D08FAEC68AED.jpeg
    A8CED8F2-0337-4F98-A239-D08FAEC68AED.jpeg
    862.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
6 April 2018. Camino de Invierno -
Day 1 - Heading downhill into Borrenes - walked this route without seeing any other pilgrims but even that can’t spoil this camino- even the memory gets better ! It’s a very beautiful way ... I walked this way into sdc after finishing the Camino de Madrid - caught train from Sahagun to Ponferrada where I saw huge numbers set off on CF whilst I headed across the bridge starting the Invierno.
I enjoyed a meal at Borrenes but continued on to accommodation at Casa Socorro in Las Médulas. It was quite a long uphill day for me. I think I’d choose a stop earlier in Borrenes if I walked this way again. I’m learning more about myself and schedules .....

Attachments

• 7B101A84-5FA5-4E44-ADD6-2A0D599D639D.jpeg
    7B101A84-5FA5-4E44-ADD6-2A0D599D639D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
6 April 2018. Camino de Invierno -
Day 1 - Heading downhill into Borrenes - walked this route without seeing any other pilgrims but even that can’t spoil this camino- even the memory gets better ! It’s a very beautiful way ... I walked this way into sdc after finishing the Camino de Madrid - caught train from Sahagun to Ponferrada where I saw huge numbers set off on CF whilst I headed across the bridge starting the Invierno.
I enjoyed a meal at Borrenes but continued on to accommodation at Casa Socorro in Las Médulas. It was quite a long uphill day for me. I think I’d choose a stop earlier in Borrenes if I walked this way again. I’m learning more about myself and schedules .....
@OzAnnie - what a stunning photo! WOW. In 2018 I sat on that very bridge in Ponferrada for a good 45 minutes, pondering whether to go left & take the Invierno, with its much sparser crowds, or turn right & stay with the flow of numerous pilgrims along the CF. Decided to consult my “pocket oracle” (that is, a coin) — & ended up on the CF. But next time… Invierno!

Going uphill towards Monasterio, a storm was brewing at our heels...
lots of horses on the road, wind picking up, tufts of grass being whirled in every direction, envigorating....
April 7, 2018
1617776035358.png

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Of my five caminos, I think my favourite was the Camino del Ebro in April and May 2015 in Fontcalda. Here's just one picture. Sadly my camino days are over, as old age has caught up with me. I miss the caminos. I miss Spain and her blue skies so much, and thank God for the happy times He gave me, walking the hills and coastal paths.P1020577.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful, quite beautiful, @Stephen Nicholls. Just to know such places exist is uplifting. Even if we can longer walk we are lucky enough to live in an age where we have vehicles. So there is still the hope of exploration, once we have conquered this horrible pandemic.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Of my five caminos, I think my favourite was the Camino del Ebro in April and May 2015 in Fontcalda. Here's just one picture. Sadly my camino days are over, as old age has caught up with me. I miss the caminos. I miss Spain and her blue skies so much, and thank God for the happy times He gave me, walking the hills and coastal paths.View attachment 97084
Stephen,
This is a perfect view and a poignant expression of how we "over 80s" feel.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with all your digital family.
Margaret

Of my five caminos, I think my favourite was the Camino del Ebro in April and May 2015 in Fontcalda. Here's just one picture. Sadly my camino days are over, as old age has caught up with me. I miss the caminos. I miss Spain and her blue skies so much, and thank God for the happy times He gave me, walking the hills and coastal paths.View attachment 97084
Stephen - so lovely to read of your appreciation for what you have received. As @Kanga says - you can possibly re visit some of these special places of memory in a vehicle. England isn’t too far away.
It only feels like yesterday that I read your posts from the Ebro. I do recall your idea for protecting feet from developing blisters too!!

Day 20 April 7, 2010 (CF) Carrion de los Condas to Terradillos de los Templarios
There were 4 beds in the room last night in Carrion. We shared our room with a French couple who were our age and we went to sleep and woke up at the same time which was nice for a change. We have been blessed with another beautiful day. A bit chilly and cloudy, but the sun is trying to shine through. We walked 10 miles to Calzadilla de la Cueza and had coffee and a delicious tortilla sandwich at the bar in the albergue Camino Real. This albergue looked like a nice place to stay. Walking between the fields today, a tractor was plowing and he was being followed by 3 of those huge white birds which look like sheep from a distance when they land. The clouds are incredible, low hanging and seem more like a picture than real. The last 6 miles were not bad. One of the best pieces of advice I´ve read on the forum is to rest 10 minutes for every hour you walk. We got to the first Albergue just before town, but continue on following the arrows into the town until we arrived at the Jacques Mornay albergue. Very family like atmosphere. wonderful hot showers, single beds (not bunks), plenty of line to dry clothes. We have some familiar faces here; Andy the young piano playing German we met in Grañon, Duke the American traveling with an Irishman and a Korean, and the young New Zealand couple.The Meseta is kicking my butt. I thought it would be a piece of cake for my toes. Turns out my toes prefer up and down terrain to flat for walking. Though my knees prefer the flat surface.
DSCF0843.jpg

April 10, 2018
On this day I started my second Camino Frances, this time from Pamplona.
The journey from home had required four flights over two days, and it was well past midnight when I fell into bed, so I did not get an early start towards Uterga.
The weather was cold and rainy as I walked out of Pamplona through Cizur Menor and up the path towards Alto de Perdon. At the top the only company I had were the medieval pilgrims clattering in the wind. It had been raining heavily in north-eastern Spain for the previous two weeks and the path down the other side was strewn with loose rocks, alternately very muddy or flowing with streams so I had to make my way down really carefully. The albergue in Uterga was a very welcoming place, and my first evening on the Camino was filled with lots of laughter, an excellent dinner and that superb vino tinto I had been anticipating for so long.

April 12, 2018
There had been so much rain that the rivers were overflowing their banks. Between Lorca and Estella I came upon a footbridge which had become stranded in the middle of its river. There was no signage for an alternate route, and nobody else around to ask, so I took off my shoes, rolled up my pant legs, and waded through the murky knee-deep water. On the other side I put on dry socks and carried on, wondering what might be next. Other people, I found out later that day, had met a Spanish man, or the police, who told them how to avoid the flood. The river through Estella was also flowing high over its banks.
This day ended with a steady climb up to Villamayor de Monjardin to stay at the Albergue Hogar.

F555F5B9-2CD1-4D93-946F-8C6B81FDC6BA.jpegEA72F5A4-D202-4BFE-ADBC-EA996845ED7A.jpeg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
April 17, 2018

The weather had continued to be cold and unsettled for the first week of my Camino. To make matters worse, I had caught a virus, either on the plane or at an airport, and my energy level was not what it should have been. Anyway, I made it to Cirueña yesterday, arriving at the Albergue Victoria worn out from the virus and my efforts, and slept for three hours in the afternoon.
After a really good communal dinner, some more sleep, and a decent breakfast, I set off this morning into a beautiful day. The sun was shining in a clear sky, the temperature was just right, and I was feeling much better. I walked past huge fields of canola, already tall and in full bright yellow bloom. I walked through Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Grañon, and into the province of Castilla y Leon, enjoying the views of the snow-capped peaks in the distance and the vast open spaces.
I stopped at the Refugio Acacia y Orieta in Viloria de la Rioja. It was still chilly inside the old stone building, but a warm fire was burning and tea was on offer. Sitting by the fire, resting my feet, I read The Alchemist, one of the many books by Paulo Coelho in the albergue’s extensive library. A young American couple and I were the only guests. The serene ambience of this place, the delicious vegetarian dinner shared with our welcoming and gracious hosts, and a great night’s sleep made this one of my most favourite stops on the Camino Frances.
F923C5CF-ED0E-4A65-9009-8D4B795A17E9.jpeg7D733B3E-FE01-4ACC-9EB6-0ECEDB220A7D.jpegCD5F6AB0-AFD3-435B-BDAD-1AA7F2F822A7.jpeg

CF O'Cebreiro-Triacastela Day 30 (April 17 2010)
Had an okay sleep. It looked like rain when we were getting ready to go so we put our ponchos on. Luckily, the weather held and we didn't get rain until we arrived. The walk here was quite beautiful. Mountain views, meadows, and pastures. We were very lucky to have a clear view since our reference books warn us that there is usually a mist obscuring the view. We got to a village and were hoping to find a place for some refreshment but the place was closed. However, a little old Spanish woman called out to us saying she had pancakes if we would like some (note: When we walked this stage in 2016, this wonderful woman was still offering pancakes). She gave us a couple and was grateful for a donativo. She asked Cullen to kiss the saint's statue for her when we get to Santiago. Later on, as we were leaving a lunch spot, an old Spanish couple were driving their 20 cows down the street. They were so cute - yelling at the cows for going the wrong way and the old man had to chase down a runaway cow. Right after that perhaps 200 meters further on, a herd of goats and sheep came jingling by. So finally we see who has been leaving all the droppings on the path! We arrived at the albergue and there was only one bed left, but the hospitalero was kind enough to pull a fold away bed out of the closet for us. Lots of familiars here at this albergue; Andy, Duke, Patty, Han, Kaija, Birgitta, Neyong, and others. We had a nice snack of cheese, bread, salad, and calamari so I don't think we need any supper tonight. We decided to take a stroll around town and there were a couple of very decent looking places to eat. We stopped at a bar and ran into the American couple we passed on the trail today. They're from California - Rudy and Connie. Very nice people. We stayed in the bar with them for a couple of hours then headed back to the Refugio Oribio. I liked the albergue very much but it's another hot night in the sleeping bag and a whole lot of snoring going on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Santiago de Compostela Apr18, 2018
—-
chilling out - check out the ‘huge’ slice of Tarta de Santiago ! Afterwards a walk in parque da alameda .
The end of my combo Camino-(Madrid/Invierno)

Attachments

• 897C5073-BDEE-4309-95F4-04D02117E866.jpeg
    897C5073-BDEE-4309-95F4-04D02117E866.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 30E4086E-D30E-4D2E-8627-ED5A496CDDA7.jpeg
    30E4086E-D30E-4D2E-8627-ED5A496CDDA7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • B911483B-ED9E-4BBB-9C94-490E68722EE0.jpeg
    B911483B-ED9E-4BBB-9C94-490E68722EE0.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 34
Today the climb to O Cebreiro. In the early light I missed the junction leading to the path up to La Faba, and approached it on the road from below.
Eventually, we all had the satisfaction of being able to look way down to where we had been, out of sight beyond countless ridges. And then, after navigating through the touristic maze of the town, the Camino gently let us down deeper into Galicia— past a bizarre Coke machine, and some of the nicest wild flowers I had yet seen along the way. We passed up the wonderful albergue in Fonfria and ended up in a damp CR in Viduedo.
Oh, well...you win some, you lose some.

Las Herrieras-Viduedo (78) - Copy.JPG Las Herrieras-Viduedo (51) - Copy.JPG Las Herrieras-Viduedo (55) - Copy.JPG

Las Herrieras-Viduedo (29) - Copy.JPG LH-T 2014 Anemone - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

€60,-
April 19, 2018 Villafranca Montes de Oca to Cardueñela Riopico

A beautiful day and a fairly challenging walk with a big long ascent through the forest in the morning, past the Civil War Monumento, through Ages and Atapuerca, and finally the stony path up to the Cruz de Matagrande and down again at the end of the day. A very satisfying combination of villages and varied countryside.
At some point I saw an emerald green lizard, a good omen according to ”The Alchemist”, which I had read a couple of days ago. It seemed significant...

8E8984D9-3F93-4EB9-A54A-2F64674E9FBF.jpeg15B502EA-2180-49DD-98A0-007E3DD57AF9.jpeg314EB108-2776-49F4-B7CA-C4542A55E1ED.jpeg

Thinking about this day, I remembered an eventful day here on my first Camino in 2015. Leaving the albergue in Ages, a pilgrim discovered that a fellow traveller had taken his boots in the morning by mistake, which wasn’t too bad for the pilgrim who took them, but decidedly not good for the one who was left with boots two sizes too small. He had to walk over those stones wearing what amounted to slippers. Very fortunately, though, the two met up at the morning cafe stop.

Down into the greengreengreen of Galicia. Viduedo-Sarria via Samos in 2014, enjoying amazing pastries from the market in Triacastella. I love this spot on the CF above Triacastella, where the road seems to hang in space, before you turn the corner and see the landscape ahead. And of course the last bit (from Samos on) was in the rain...

Viduedo-Saria (99) - Copy.JPG Viduedo-Saria (71) - Copy.JPG Viduedo-Saria (67) - Copy.JPG Viduedo-Saria (1).JPG

(Those pastries...I wish I knew what they were called. They had an almond theme, like a torta de Santiago, but were crescent shaped, a bit bigger than a croissant, chewy on the outside, soft on the inside. I've never seen them since.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
April 20, 2018

A short walk into Burgos, planned to allow time for visiting the cathedral in the afternoon. I tried to find the way to the river walk, but didn’t succeed. Next time! I can see from the map of Burgos that if I could find the river walk, I could avoid a lot of problems on the way through the city.
Burgos was rather intimidating after days in the countryside, and I kept losing the yellow arrows on the way into the city. At one point, a kind Spanish gentleman walked with me to find the route. Eventually I just followed the road signs for the hotel Norte y Londres, which I knew was on the Camino, thinking I would stay there. Alas, it was full, but it was easy enough to find a small hotel instead.

CD3DDC94-6756-4A28-ADF4-2DD89DC5F724.jpeg79DA994D-9B7D-43AA-B63B-E8ECE72F8256.jpegC57836D9-DB1A-47AF-B1EA-9ECF31E7C83F.jpeg

The magnificent cathedral was definitely a memorable highlight.

April 20, 2018

A short walk into Burgos, planned to allow time for visiting the cathedral in the afternoon. I tried to find the way to the river walk, but didn’t succeed. Next time! I can see from the map of Burgos that if I could find the river walk, I could avoid a lot of problems on the way through the city.
Burgos was rather intimidating after days in the countryside, and I kept losing the yellow arrows on the way into the city. At one point, a kind Spanish gentleman walked with me to find the route. Eventually I just followed the road signs for the hotel Norte y Londres, which I knew was on the Camino, thinking I would stay there. Alas, it was full, but it was easy enough to find a small hotel instead.

View attachment 98249View attachment 98252View attachment 98251

The magnificent cathedral was definitely a memorable highlight.
Before the next time download this excellent PDF made by a forum member, and discussed in this thread.

Before the next time download this excellent PDF made by a forum member, and discussed in this thread.
Posting this particular older thread was a good idea as so many have been confused on how to get to the river walk that takes you into the city. I had no problems only because I walked behind my son who knew what to do.

€60,-
April 21, 2018 Burgos to Hornillos del Camino

“Finally, the Meseta was spread out before me, the path visible a long way into the distance. There was amazing and continuous variety of birdsong. There was absolutely no traffic noise. Wild fruit trees were in blossom at the side of the track, and everything was so brilliantly green.“

06470BFD-54A4-4204-BBD1-7A24D52B93CF.jpeg02ACA7D0-66D4-472F-AAFD-F2C85D7B3975.jpeg1B6F35D7-F9FC-42D8-8FC9-FF2E7AA5F426.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€60,-
So closeto the end of first part of VdlP in ´18
Happy evening meal in the mild sun
in
El Cubo de Tierre del Vino

1619278738927.png

1619282621105.png

Last edited:
Bullwinkle looking forward to a rest day in Compostela after a short Camino from Porto, before heading out to Muxia and Fisterra - April 27, 2017.

1619491118891.png

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
27 April 2019 - A good first day to Roncesvalles, met lots of people from around the world including 4 from Brazil. Not as difficult as I was expecting despite my age, 71 at the time.

Attachments

• P1040415.JPG
    P1040415.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • P1040425.JPG
    P1040425.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
27 April 2019 . Day 15. Walked from Burgos to Hornillos del Camino. Stayed in the municipal albergue by the church. Had a pilgrims meal in Bar Casa Manolo and a couple of beers in the square. I really miss it!

Attachments

• B (214).jpg
    B (214).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
April 27 ´17 had a grand morning but awarning of futher snow like the day before where the pass had been closed, so setting out from SJPdP had, as you all know, two choices, The Napoleon or the Valcarlos route...
As I had three years earlier met loads of people when I started from Burgos, who still two weeks after crossing over had terrible bad feet from poor choices of footwear and socks, and hearing of both mud and slippery surfaces on the first day out, laments galore...,
I decided on the Valcarlos route....

1619524911494.png
An absolute beauty of a day in a warm valley full of sunshine and the sound of running water mixed w the hum of the traffic....not another person in sight all day...
Then there was the murderous incline just after Valcarlos to the top which took all my breath away, and after the chapel a gentle descent to Roncevalles where there was still a gentle snow coming down.....
The Napoleonic route can wait for another time, preferably as an end stretch on a Le Puy expedition in the future.., then feet and limps will be sufficiently hardened for this stretch...

Last edited:

€149,-
28 April 2019 - Day 2 went well Roncesvalles to Zubiri, started to get into the swing of this journey. Buen Caminos everywhere! Pilgrims having difficulty finding accommodation.

Attachments

• P1040433.JPG
    P1040433.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • P1040438.JPG
    P1040438.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
April 28, 2018

This morning I took the bus from Mansilla de las Mulas into Leon and out the other side to La Virgen del Camino. I needed to arrive in Santiago on May 12, so didn’t have enough time to walk that stretch. I took the alternate route to Villar de Mazarife, which is much nicer than the walk along the side of the N-120, and stayed at the Albergue Casa de Jesus. A strong wind from the west brought thunderstorms that evening, and sharply colder temperatures which would persist for several days.

2FA62FD7-E823-4BC5-8E2F-ABC5FFDCF1F6.jpeg3241A69A-3FA4-4BC0-94E1-2C3D537BF40B.jpeg

29 April 2019 - Zubiri to Pamplona. An easy beautiful day, chatted with the guy at a "donation stop" with his photo of Martin Sheen during the filming of you know what. Spent a long time sitting in the sun in the Plaza del Castillo in Pamplona with a beer or two (it could have been three!).

Attachments

• P1040442.JPG
    P1040442.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • P1040443.JPG
    P1040443.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • P1040449.JPG
    P1040449.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
April 29, 2018. Villar de Mazarife to Santibanez

CE076105-0618-45B2-A4FF-F5641EA07E80.jpegB53DA3A6-7594-4B82-8C48-8D12AA594D2C.jpeg

Another stormy day. After Hospital de Orbigo it rained hard and the track was very muddy, the kind that sticks to your shoes. Spent a very pleasant afternoon in the albergue bar, though, while the muddy clothes were washed and dried.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Chez nous
photo taken April 2017

April pilgrims.jpg

Two happy pilgrims, grandmother and grandson, who were walking in the area of Reims for a long weekend
following part of the local camino Reims/Paris; they stayed in our Pilgrim Place farmhouse.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
30 April 2019 Pamplona to Puente la Reina. A long walk through the Citadel Park up to Alto del Pardón. Got dragged into a bar by an American guy who persuaded me to have a small beer. Got quite tanned despite sunscrean. In the evening I ate at Hotel Rural Bidean, the best pizza of my long life.

Attachments

• P1040462.JPG
    P1040462.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • P1040466.JPG
    P1040466.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • P1040467.JPG
    P1040467.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
April 2024! ...because Easter is in March this year! I've walked 9 years various routes (?!) and this one I will walk Pamplona to Sahagun; slowly and short stages. Hope to secure that 1/2 way certificate! Currently, it's the end of September and I've started dreaming. Some one once asked, "When are you going to stop walking that Camino?"
My answer, "When I can not."

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back