• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On this date in July...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Here's a thread to post pictures, musings, etc. from any date in July from any year when you were on the Camino.
I have to wait a few days to get to one of my Camino dates in July. 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
July 4th, 2017 - started my 2nd Camino, walking with my friend Julie. We had a gorgeous afternoon at Orisson

orisson .jpgjulie and terri.jpg

The following year I started on the Norte from Irun. Because of a cancelled flight I got a late start. Fortunately, I had reserved a room in Pasajes de San Juan

pasajes de san juan.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On this date 6 years ago I stopped for a beer in Mansilla de las Mulas, wondering whether to check in to the albergue, but decided to push on to Villarente.
20140704_140133 Mansilla del las Mulas2.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hadn't noticed the updated month @trecile!

July 8th 2012. The day before my return flight to Australia. I sneaked a forbidden picture of Guernica at the Reina Sofia in Madrid.
P7091272 (1).jpeg

July 8th 2018. The final sunset after 2500km: Madrid - Santiago - St Jean - Brittany before embarking on the ferry to Ireland.
The view from my Roscoff hotel window
IMG_7945 2.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
July 9th Arriving back at the door, so to speak. Cork Ireland, having ridden from the Roscoff ferry around the magnificent Cork Harbour on a lovely greenway.
50 metres to go! (1).jpeg
Any Cork people out there? O'Driscolls is just up the street.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thursday, July 9, 2015

We finally arrived in Santiago on day 68 from our start in St. Jean Pied de Port. 48 days of walking, 2 days touring in Burgos and Leon and 8 days of recovery from the meseta gastro-intestinal bug and post-Leon tendonitis. Poor Peg. She had a goal, it looked like she wouldn't make it but she toughed it out. She later walked a two day trip from Finisterre to Muxia but made me walk to Finisterre by myself.

In Santiago, just before getting to the Plaza Cervantes, a woman asked us if we would be interested in a nearby private room. Yes and we made the deal after an inspection. The inpection did not show the nightclub one floor below though. Peg must have been exhausted; in 5 nights there she never heard a noise even if the dead could. I didn't tell her about it for fear that she might stay awake in anticipation. It didn't bother me as I wasn't really sleeping well anyway. Everything was great otherwise, and a wonderful location.

Right after getting our compostelas I presented Peg with a gift pack of pins, patches, postcards, refrigerator magnets and other trinkets that I had been collecting for her camino completion.

The botafumeiro flew at Friday evening's mass. Ever since seeing it swing on film I thought it would be a great spectacle to see. It was only once on the camino that I found out that it was waiting for us in Santiago.

The picture shows a cross in the cathedral's cloister that we saw being wheeled earlier on our walk.

T06800-HOR.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
July 2014, LeMonastier to LeBouchet on the RL Stevenson route (GR70). Too many days near 35C for this Oregon Lad. Bailed a few days later at LaBastide to go to Paris. Walked nearly every arrondissement and loved GeoBrassens park and Le Lapin Agile.I adore walking big cities nearly as much as the Camino Frances

Attachments

• France 034.jpg
    France 034.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
July 24, 2016. It was tough to pick one from today. I was very tempted to choose a photo of one of my favourite churches, in Fromista. But instead I chose this one between Castrojeriz and Fromista (42°16'54.0"N 4°16'40.0"W).
20160724_092659.jpg

Last edited:
July 24, 2016. It was tough to pick one from today. I was very tempted to choose a photo of one of my favourite churches, in Fromista. But instead I chose thism one between Castrojeriz and Fromista (42°16'54.0"N 4°16'40.0"W).
View attachment 79343
Sunflowers are always a good choice - they are so cheerful! 🌻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have never walked in the heat of a Spanish summer so have missed the beauty of those bright sunflowers. I will have to keep enjoying all the spring wildflowers in a rainbow of colors as I dislike walking in heat immensely.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
July 28, 2018 - I walked from Piñera to Tapia de Casariego, where I stayed at the municipal albergue with the best view of any albergue!

TApia.jpg

Unfortunately, it was the day that I developed shin splints, which ended my Camino 4 days later. In hindsight, I should have taken a rest day or two in Ribadeo. I probably would have been able to continue on if I had.
I ended up doing finishing the Norte in 2019 as part of my Frances/Salvador/Norte Camino.

29 July, 2016. It was a long hot walk into Leon. I was thinking about posting a photo of the cathedral there, which is probably my favourite on the Camino. Maybe of the stained glass windows, or the cloisters, or the beautifully carved choir stalls. But as marvellous as the cathedral was, I'm not sure it was as welcome a sight as this little donativo table of cold drinks nestled among the ice on the hot, hot day under the beating sun after a climb (42°34'24.5"N 5°31'42.3"W).

20160729_112321.jpg

29 July, 2016. It was a long hot walk into Leon. I was thinking about posting a photo of the cathedral there, which is probably my favourite on the Camino. Maybe of the stained glass windows, or the cloisters, or the beautifully carved choir stalls. But as marvellous as the cathedral was, I'm not sure it was as welcome a sight as this little donativo table of cold drinks nestled among the ice on the hot, hot day under the beating sun after a climb (42°34'24.5"N 5°31'42.3"W).

View attachment 79600
Our good memories come in "all sizes and shapes", don't they.

31 July, 2016. Astorga. Once again, I wasn't sure which photo to pick: the bridge at Hospital de Orbigo, where the famous joust was fought, David's donativo, Gaudi's espiscopal palace? Eventually, I settled on this one, from the fiesta that was happening as we passed through. Taken at the entrance to the camps of the Romans and Astures just outside the city walls by the cathedral. You can see the thatched dwellings of the Astures in front of the canvas pavilions of the Romans. The city was filled with people in costume, like the ones you see in the photo.
20160731_141153.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back