• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On this date in June...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2006 this was a Friday and it was my first day walking, starting in Roncesvalles. Thanks for this thread. It is a lovely oasis of memories.🙏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here’s a story about this day in 2015.
I had already completed my Camino Frances on June 15th and I flew from Santiago to visit my brother, a retired sea captain, in the Algarve Portugal. After a few days there, I embarked on a quest on behalf of a friend in my home town in Australia. She is called Paquita, named after her grandmother, who was born in southern Spain, the daughter of a mining engineer working in the mines of the pyrite belt, north of Huelva, in the Rio Tinto region. His name was Guillaume Delprat, a Dutchman, and he spent several years managing mines at Tharsis, San Telmo and Cabeza Del Pasto among others. He subsequently had a stellar career in Australia where he was the general manager of BHP for many years, and was responsible for the expansion and diversification of that company into steel. (The smelting operation in Newcastle NSW was his crowning achievement). His daughter Paquita came to Australia as a young child, and subsequently married a young geologist called Douglas Mawson, of Antarctic exploration fame, (not to mention the $100 note).
I visited and photographed the old mines, and found their original house in Tharsis. At Cabeza del Pasto, the manager's house was in ruins, the mine having been abandoned 50 years ago.
Manager's house, Cabeza del Pasto mine. 23-6-15.jpeg IMG_2411.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There are two.
I'm not entirely sure but think the first is Akerreta (just after Larrasoaña). The second and third photos are of Zabaldika.

There are two.
I'm not entirely sure but think the first is Akerreta (just after Larrasoaña). The second and third photos are of Zabaldika.
Thanks for details. I found the photos did not open, but now you say where they are, of course! Don't I know it like the back of my hand!

23 June 2019:

Alan, my Australian buddy and I were on duty in the Pilgrims Office. Some of the staff were organising themselves for the 'Hogueras de San Juan' festival taking place that evening on Rua Dos Pelamios close to the Parque de Vista Alegre. They very kindly invited the volunteers in the Office to join them: we readily accepted. We had a fantastic evening: music on a grand scale, free grilled sardines for everyone, lots of other food and beverages from an outdoor bar. At midnight the bonfire was lit to traditional music provided by pipers and drummers. It was a wonderful night in the company of open, friendly people. I hope they are all well tonight.

20190623 St john Fire.jpgBonfire.jpgmusic 2.jpg

VdlP 2012 The Feast of St John a little more muted in Zamora
San Juan celebrations, Zamora Bridge (1).jpeg
VdlP 2015 Camino aborted at Plasencia, after recieving news of my elder brother's critical illness in Portugal. Darryl and I swore to return. We were booked to do so in 2018 but he died before our planned departure.
Reverse Frances 2018 I return to the pilgrim office in St Jean for my sello.
Pilgrim office St Jean 24-6-18.jpeg
2019 Chemin de St Jacques, Voie du Littoral, Hourtin France. The trail is better than the road!
Hourtin 24-6-19.jpeg IMG_0705 2.jpeg

June 26, 2017: Special day on my next to last day on my 2017 Camino. I started out early in the morning for the lighthouse in Finisterre feeling very alone, all but one of my Texas friends were gone and most of my Camino family had been dispersed by the winds. Along the way I met a woman who’s become my friend, my sister and my spiritual guide. When people asked why I walked the Camino I often said I did not know. I now believe it was to meet my German friend, my Arhat and discover that even a Humanist like me can be spiritual being. For that, I will always be in her debt. I will always be her meddling American brother.

KH-KJ Zero.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here's a thread to post pictures, musings, etc. from any date in June from any year when you were on the Camino.

Last year I started on the Camino del Salvador from León, after walking on the Francés from SJPDP.
Looking at the map I thought that I'd find a place to eat breakfast on the outskirts of León, but didn't find anywhere to stop for hours. Fortunately I had a large pack of Peanut M&Ms. 😊

View attachment 76131
Not an actual Camino, but on this day in 1876 was the Battle of the Little Big Horn, where I a pilgrimage.

June 26, 2017: Special day on my next to last day on my 2017 Camino. I started out early in the morning for the lighthouse in Finisterre feeling very alone, all but one of my Texas friends were gone and most of my Camino family had been dispersed by the winds. Along the way I met a woman who’s become my friend, my sister and my spiritual guide. When people asked why I walked the Camino I often said I did not know. I now believe it was to meet my German friend, my Arhat and discover that even a Humanist like me can be spiritual being. For that, I will always be in her debt. I will always be her meddling American brother.

View attachment 77657
Thank you, MMAB, I'm so happy we met. YGS

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
26 June 2019

When volunteering in the Pilgrims Office, one of the perks is that you are provided with accommodation. Last year my room was in the 'Convento de Santa Clara de Santiago de Compostela' on Rua de San Roque. The window offered an excellent view across the rooftops to the cathedral. 20190626 evening over the city.jpg

2012 I have company at the albergue in Lubian.
Lubian 27-6-12.jpeg before the climb to La Canda Ascent to La Canda 27-6-12 (1).jpeg which is getting crowded now because the AVE now goes this way too.
27-6-12.jpeg... a heavy load for mountain country, but I was younger then!
2014. I'm about to become stronger on the descent from Cruz de Ferro
Descent from Cruz de Ferro 27-6-14.jpeg
2018 Heading north on the Atlatic coast of France IMG_7692.jpeg
2019 My AirBnB in Rochefort...the boat in the foreground - cheap too.
Rochefort Harbour 27-6-19.jpeg
Roperie at Rochefort 26-6-19.jpeg Louis XIV's naval ropeworks at Rochefort.

28 June 2012 Near Portocamba on the SanabresThe cross near Portocamba 28-6-12.jpeg

2014Road to La Faba 28-6-14.jpeg The climb towards O CebreiroNear La Faba.jpeg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This was our 30th and final day on the Le Puy route in 2018. I ended in Auvillar, listed as one of Frances "100 most beautiful villages". The circular shelter is the very old "market place" in the main town square where thy gathered to buy and sell.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-100313.png
    Screenshot_20200628-100313.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20200628-100524.png
    Screenshot_20200628-100524.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20200628-100439.png
    Screenshot_20200628-100439.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20200628-100749.png
    Screenshot_20200628-100749.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
28th June 2019

This was a rest day for me from the Pilgrims Office and I decided to take a walk along the Rio Sarela. It's hard to believe that a five or six minute stroll from the cathedral leads you literally into the city outskirts. The walk will ultimately take you to the Costa do Cano bridge where it meets the Camino Fisterra. A beautiful walk on a beautiful day :)
20190628 Cathedral.jpg20190628 park walk.jpg20190628 River Walk.jpg20190628 River Walk3.jpg

20190628 Park structure.jpg

June 28-29, 2017:

At this point, I'm sure you're growing bored but for the few who are still hanging on. Today, I left Santiago, I had no idea if I'd ever return (I have). My route back to Dallas first took me to A Coruña where I'd hoped to spend a couple relaxing days on the beach. My friend Paul and his sister Becky had sent pictures of a giant beach party under sunny skies. Well, the storm that moved in yesterday as we walked down from the lighthouse is still hanging around. When my train arrived in A Coruña, it was gray with a driving rain and pretty darn cool on the beach. The weather matched my mood. Gray and gloomy and now, totally removed from my friends and Camino Family. Blah!

sdc.jpeg

la playa.JPG

I did though walk to the Tower of Hercules which I highly recommend. I was staying at a nice hotel (sheets, hot water, bar, nice restaurant) which was sort of disorienting. I asked the gentleman at the desk how to get to the tower, he told me and said he would call me a Taxi as it was 5k to the tower. I didn't mean to be rude but I broke out laughing. He asked why I was laughing and I explained that I'd just finished walking the Camino so 5km X 2 was just about time for second breakfast.

tower of H.JPG

June 29th required some retail therapy, not something that I would normally resort to. I woke up and put on the same clothes that I'd arrived in and more or less had worn every day for now almost 45 days. As I looked in the mirror, I saw gray shirt in a gray hotel room on a very gray day. To make a long story short, a sales clerk at el Corté Inglés had a good sales day. I decided that I was not flying home the next day it my dingy (but loved) Camino attire.

As I sat in the bar next to the hotel (the hotel bar was far too nice), I realized how much I missed my people. A daily ritual while on the Camino was to have 'the best beer I've ever had in the world...today' with my friends. On this day, all alone, I had the 'worst beer I've ever had in the world...today'. Fortunately, there's always tomorrow.

worst beer.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Restarting from O Cebreiro
IMG_20190629_083609954.jpg
My Portuguese friend who has just dropped me off.
IMG_20190629_090719426.jpg
Above the clouds the sun is shining
IMG_20190629_112007099.jpg
Saying thank you to one of the Camino Angels at the O Tear Bar who called the ambulance for me when I was close to collapsing, nine days earlier. Funnily, the name of the hamlet is Hospital.
IMG_20190629_101553226.jpg
As I struggled to walk up this mild incline and wondered what I should do, the Camino provided me with explicit direction.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
11-6-'17 I was in Muxia celebrating my 70th birthday and the end of another Camino.

On this date last year I arrived in Finisterre for the third time.
View attachment 77893

Following the suggestion of @tangata hikoi on this thread, I walked up over the top, rather than on the road to the lighthouse. Such spectacular views this way!
View attachment 77894View attachment 77895View attachment 77896
I did the same thingScreenshot_20200629-095127~2.png after going to the lighthouse in 2017. I then continued walking from there on the cliff above the ocean all the way back to town. I believe it is part of the Camino de los Faros...it was stunning! I think I did it in the opposite direction of you.
Screenshot_20200629-095218~2.pngScreenshot_20200629-095250~2.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What I wrote from O Pedrouzo on my first camino three years ago today (June 30, 2017):

Camino de Santiago, Day 38. For most of the last 38 days, the mythical city of Santiago de Compostela has been so far away that it has barely been worth contemplating as our final destination. No matter how far we walked, it never seemed to get any closer; on the contrary, one day we saw a sign that said it was 565km away and two days later another sign said it was 580km away.

But we trudged on anyway, faithfully following yellow arrows over mountains and bridges, alongside rivers and roads, and through forests and vineyards and 180 consecutive kilometres of wheat fields, some days in searing heat and others in driving rain. And in doing so we learned what we had already suspected: that the Camino de Santiago is the very epitome of the journey being the goal.

But there is still a destination, after all, and we approach it now both in anticipation at the prospect of finally arriving and with more than a little sadness knowing that our path will soon end, because Santiago de Compostela, which doesn't seem quite so mythical anymore, is now only one day's walk away.

E7BE80F0-A08D-4D80-9932-579EEDBD0C49.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, @trecile, it looks like we've arrived at "last-post-day" on this thread. It's been fun for me. In any case I'm running out of caminos, because all of mine concluded in June or early July.
Undaunted, here goes!
2012 At the Monastery of Oseira. The door to the chilly albergue is on the left. (Ivar has just posted an article about a proposed upgrade).
IMG_3933.jpeg Oseira.jpeg I was told that the old monk in the picture had been there when Hemingway visited (?) - and Graham Greene.

2014 At the charming Casa Santo Estivo near Chatada on the Invierno - we diverted by road from the Frances to the Sanabres to avoid the crowds.
Casa Santo Estevo Nr Chantada.jpeg

2018 Heading for the ferry across the Gironde, still on the Littoral. It seems to be little used by pilgrims, who usually follow the main route through Bordeaux, (possibly because of the lack of auberge accomodation). There are frequent backpacker hostals, (if you like talking to surfers rather than pilgrims!).
IMG_0761.jpeg Motobahn.jpeg Gironde Ferry.jpeg
Part of the track was 1 lane, the WW2 German army motor-cycle track.
2019 Same rout but further north. On the exquisite Canal Nantes à Brest. Canal Nantes a Brest.jpeg IMG_7866.jpeg And that's all folks!

Attachments

• The Loire bridge to St Nazaire.jpeg
    The Loire bridge to St Nazaire.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
June 30, 2017:

Today, my physical Camino comes to an unceremonious end. After 2 disappointing days in A Coruña, I head for the airport first to Lisbon and then to New York. I did get an upgrade to Business Class on the LIS-JFK leg. Lots to think about going forward.

Adios.jpg

July 1, 2017:

I began my journey by talking to the 4th grade class at Ben Milam Elementary School where I volunteered and where I met a fellow Pilgrim Paul, aka, Mr. G. I did a live Skype meeting with his class from Burgos where the cathedral was directly outside my hotel window, Paul joined us in Sarria. As I could not walk home from Spain, I symbolically walked home from the light rail station to the school and then to my townhouse. I was finally home, having departed for the Camino 46 days earlier on May 16th.

home.JPG

As Dorothy said, "there's no place like home". Not quite Ruby Slippers but well worn Keen's seemed to do the job.

dorothy4.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back