• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On this date in June...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Here's a thread to post pictures, musings, etc. from any date in June from any year when you were on the Camino.

Last year I started on the Camino del Salvador from León, after walking on the Francés from SJPDP.
Looking at the map I thought that I'd find a place to eat breakfast on the outskirts of León, but didn't find anywhere to stop for hours. Fortunately I had a large pack of Peanut M&Ms. 😊

20190601_064915_copy_1008x756.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Something off-beat.
June last year in France - I was often plagued by Wifi pastwords like this. In this instance think I admitted defeat! A sharp contrast to Spain where I found most passwords user-friendly.
This was a place I stayed on the Camino Littoral on the SW coast.
View attachment 76132

More like the code to a nuclear launch…!

How can I forget
Our first adventure on our first Camino in 2005

No guide books
No information
No rain gear
We just followed the yellow arrows and stopped when tired
What were we thinking!!

Although every Camino after this one was wonderful,none of them ever compared to the excitement felt on this one
Left SJPDP at 6 and crawled into Roncessvelles many hours later!
The adrenaline kept us going like crazy people and 23 days later we hit Santiago
The people we met made this Camino such a special one and we are still in contact with a Swiss girl.

10 years later on June 1st we walked from Irache to Sansol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
23 days, wow, that was a tough pace. O to be young.
Thanks wayfarer
Not so young ...just 55 then..not so young now though
It was adrenaline and crazy heads that moved us back then and not really advisable!!
It was more by luck than design that we didn't get injured ...apart from my blisters ...now that was a learning curve on how NOT to treat them!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On this day in June 2015 the car and trailer were packed and I was on my way home to Castaneda.
2017Km, 3 Days travel in a 30 year old Suzuki Vitara. Followed alongside the Camino route once in Spain with many many wonderful memories without the Blisters, aches,and smelly walking boots :):)2 June 2015.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here's a thread to post pictures, musings, etc. from any date in June from any year when you were on the Camino.
Sorry, trecile to have thrown a red herring into your thread.
Back on track:
My iPhone picture-dating tells me that last year on June 1st I was pedaling into the Auvergne region heading for Le Puy en Velay. This picture from that day taken 20 km or so from Clermont Ferrand, is approaching the surreal volcanic landscapes of that area. That’s Puy de Dôme on the horizon.C76C3A5B-E037-405D-9CD2-0CBDF50C97DF.jpeg

Last edited:
June 2, 2019 was my second day on the Camino del Salvador. Anyone who walks this route probably remembers this guy watching over. 😄

coyote.jpg

And I've probably posted these before, but the Salvador is so beautiful hopefully no one will get tired of looking at them.

20190602_134719 resize.jpg20190602_134654resize.jpg20190602_134808  resize.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
June 2, 2019 was my second day on the Camino del Salvador. Anyone who walks this route probably remembers this guy watching over.
Trecile
OK: first a confession. I had to reach for the “Great Map” and hunt for Camino 28.
Now that I know, I think it will definitely have to go in the too-hard-basket for a septuagenarian on a bike. Great pity.

But for us non Salvadorans please elaborate on the first very striking picture.

Trecile
OK: first a confession. I had to reach for the “Great Map” and hunt for Camino 28.
Now that I know, I think it will definitely have to go in the too-hard-basket for a septuagenarian on a bike. Great pity.

But for us non Salvadorans please elaborate on the first very striking picture.
Many parts of the Camino del Salvador are also part of a cycling route. I saw more cyclists than pilgrims.

If you waked by the spot where I took the first picture you would see the "coyote" standing in the same position - it is just a metal cut out. But at first, it looked very real!

Last edited:
Here are some from June 2017.

Attachments

• camino pic flowers2.jpg
    camino pic flowers2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 21
  • camino pic plaza.jpg
    camino pic plaza.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 21
  • camino pic river.jpg
    camino pic river.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
  • camino pic village.jpg
    camino pic village.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 21
  • camino pic zalbadikas.jpg
    camino pic zalbadikas.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 19
  • camino pic flowers.jpg
    camino pic flowers.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 19
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been looking uo past camino years for June 3rd and came up with these:
Le Puy 3:6:19.jpeg 2019. The mind- boggling church of St Michael in Le Puy,
sited on top of the throat of an extinct volcano - the cone has long ago eroded away.
Navacerrada 3:6:18.jpeg2018 At the top of the pass between Navacerrada and Segovia. A hell of a climb on a loaded bike.
P6080177.jpeg2017. Sevilla. This is the baths of the Alcazar. I began the VdlP on this day.
Puente Reina 3:6:15.jpeg2015 Passing through Puente de Reina, accompanied by my son on the Frances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Beautiful photos @trecile.
Where was I on June 5th?
2019: I left the magical Le Puy en Velay, heading south to the Ardèche. This ia the view looking out of the Cathedral door.
IMG_9887.jpeg
2018: I was in transit from the Camino de Madrid to join the Plata at Zamora.
This is Tordesillas, a town with a fascinating history. In 1494 the pope attempted to settle the colonial claims of Spain and Potugal by imposing a dividing line down the middle of th Atlantic. He got it wrong and hence the Brazilians speak Portuguese.
IMG_7075.jpeg
2017 passing through El Real de la Jara
IMG_4157 (2).jpeg
2015 Villatuerte
IMG_0811.jpeg

Last year I started on the Camino del Salvador from León, after walking on the Francés from SJPDP.
Looking at the map I thought that I'd find a place to eat breakfast on the outskirts of León, but didn't find anywhere to stop for hours. Fortunately I had a large pack of Peanut M&Ms. 😊

View attachment 76131

View attachment 76131

Thanks for starting this thread! The photo I chose is from my first day on the CF, going over the Pyrenees towards Roncesvalles. I don't think I've ever been so simultaneously tired and exhilarated before. <3 <3

Attachments

• IMG_20190622_120531.jpg
    IMG_20190622_120531.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
The 7 June 2018 was my longest day ever on any Camino!! I definitely didn’t plan on walking 39km when I left the wonderfully named Casanova village at the late hour of 08:30. My aim was to get beyond Arzúa to avoid the bed rush...but continuing all the way to Salceda was a bit extreme😊 I got the last bed in Albergue de Boni after everywhere else was completo. 9DF8B8DB-C8DF-4D83-9130-7DC8B34BEA40.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah, great memories. On June 6th 2017 I was in Mansilla de las Mulas:

50E4BC2E-51A4-4DA6-9E74-04E3ECAC0273.jpeg

Last year, I’d walked into Santiago after completing the Inglés on a cold, wet and windy day with Grace, a new friend from PEI Canada:
50EC3609-A0D3-4101-9718-AC5151FE94EC.jpeg

The best part was that the next day, I met up with friends I’d met in 2017 in Villar de Mazarife and met others in Astorga. The Camino does provide.

Last edited:
Ah, great memories.
Isn't it diverting to look back in these strange times and find out just where you were on this day.
I'm loving it.
7th June 2012 Corpus Christi mayhem in the streets of Sevilla
Corpus Christi.jpeg
2015 Between Burgos and Hornillos; gorgeous.
Between Burgos and Hornillos.jpeg
2017 Merida. Temple of Diana.
Merida 7-6-2017.jpeg
2018 Crossing the Rio Esla into Sanabria
IMG_7114.jpeg
2019 The Ardèche valley
Ardèche Valley 7-6-19.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
June 7, 2017: Approaching Finisterre. Happy memory.
When your post first came up on my computer, it did not mention the location. At first glance I thought "San Sebastian" - an uncanny resemblance.
San Sebastian.jpeg

Attachments

• San Sebastian.jpeg
    San Sebastian.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 3

€83,-
On the Invierno, crossing the Rio Sil...
It sure is a lovely route. I had not realised that the Sil valley cut through the mountains so effortlessly(?), ...and presumably no crowds!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last year was an unusual itinerary for me. I departed from Ireland on a bike which I had left with my son, especially intended for future Camino purposes - it remains there. I particularly wanted to visit Le Puy en Velay, (my intention being to start a future camino from there). This involved 3 weeks south through Brittany to Nantes, then along the Loire valley and into the Massif Central. From Le Puy my route took me via Avignon then eventually west along the canals to the Atlantic. There I joined the coastal Chemin de St Jacques taking me north back to Brittany and the Irish ferry.
June 9 2019, I met this cyclist going the other way, in transit Barcelona to Switzerland. He was a big guy, so just maybe he could get this lot up a mountain climb. Insane or what? I have cropped his face, because he was a bit reluctant to let me take this picture.
Has bike- will travel. Chance encounter. Nimes 9-6-19.jpeg
June 9 2018 I was enduring miserable weather on the Sanabres. Rather than face more soaking and cold high altitudes with inadequate clothing I took the valley detour from A Gudiña to Verin. This is the only photo I took that day - I had other priorities.
Grim outlook at Xunqeuira de Amba 9-6-18.jpeg
2017 VdlP between Caceres and Placencia. The Embalse Alcantara in drought.
Partially dry Embalse Alcantara VdlP 9-6-17 (1).jpeg
2015 I acquired the beautiful “halfway” Camino Frances certificate from the church of the Virgen del Camino in Sahagun.
Halfway cert. Virgen del Camino, Sahagun 9-6-15.jpeg
2012 First day out on the VdlP. N of Guillena
N of Guillena 9-6-12.jpeg

June 10, 2019 Invierno
I hope you keep posting day-by-day@Theatregal. @VNwalking has already introduced me to the allure of the Invierno, so I'm following you both on the splendidly evocative IGN maps. With any luck I might be following your footsteps next year.
Invierno Médulas.jpeg
And by the way, I'm a supporter of thumbnail posting - the page loads so much faster.

A 'Wow!" day all day long. Torre Villariño to Chantada on the Invierno.
Diomondi, the beautiful descent on the old road to the river (with the 'tadaa' reveal at the end), then the zig-zag climb up the other side, finally looking back to the other side. (Culminating with being interviewed by a reporter for the Vox de Galicia as I slouched into town after all that looking, suitably pilgrimesque...)
Everyone loves the cows on either side of the side door of Diomondi, but the lupos gracing the main entrance are wonderful too. The message being "Mind your ps and qs, children, or else..."

Attachments

• 20190611_094238 (2).jpg
    20190611_094238 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190611_095914.jpg
    20190611_095914.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20190611_103046.jpg
    20190611_103046.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190611_105127.jpg
    20190611_105127.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190611_110813 - Copy.jpg
    20190611_110813 - Copy.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190611_133544.jpg
    20190611_133544.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
June 12. O Barco to A Rúa. A quiet calm day of snails, thistles, baby storks and bridges mostly following along the River Sil. The last stretch into A Rúa was a bit stressful (though with nice views) along the busy highway with a sharp drop off on the left and without a safe shoulder or path on either side.

june12h.jpgjune12c.jpgjune12a.jpgjune12b.jpgjune12d.jpgjune12e.jpgjune12g.jpgjune12f.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 15th June 2018 ...the San Salvador..and we were on perhaps the most scenic day of all from Poladura de la Tercia to Pajares

The weather had been pretty bad just before we started from Leon a few days previously but we had walked in glorious sun for our 8 days of walking
A few streams had to be crossed before we reached the highest point of the cross of st Salvidor
Stopped for coffee at the Puerto Pajares and decided to take the road for a couple of km as the alternative was a very steep and vertiginous path down from the parador and there was very little traffic on the road

The mud going down to Pajares after the storms the previous week was something to behold! So thank goodness for the poles
The 16 km took us about 6 hours including stops image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

June, 15-2017, Villafranca del Bierzo (Camino Francés), just me with myself.

IMG_0983.JPG

June, 15-2018, Ribadesella (Camino del Norte), encounter during the blue hour with the most reknowned photographer of the town.

1592235332321.png

Juni, 15-2019, Puebla de Sanabria (Camino Sanabrés) - Goodbye to a friend, hello to my mother, both not in the picture. Myself (not in the picture either) in the most stunning scenery.

puebla de sanabria.png

June 16 2019. 20190616_175731.jpg20190616_192206.jpgFirst day in Santiago for a volunteering stint in the Pilgrims Office. First vino tinto and tapas in Restaurante San Clemente :) 👍

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A year goes by very quickly, doesn't it?
And @peregrina2000 was right on our heels, not knowing yet that she would hit the jackpot and find my credential! I hope I can thank her in person with her choice of libation, sometime, somewhere in Spain.

It made me feel a little sad to post these just now. The walk is over!

And @peregrina2000 was right on our heels, not knowing yet that she would hit the jackpot and find my credential! I hope I can thank her in person with her choice of libation, sometime, somewhere in Spain.

Yes, THIS walk is over ...but hopefully for all of us on the form ...there will be more to come
It was lovely meeting Perigrina 2000 at the start and in Santiago too....she has done so much for the pilgrims on the caminos

Yesterday, when you posted about the Asturias Camino, I thought, noooooo, don't do this to me!!
How will Iwe fit them in ...so many caminos...not enough time as they say
Right now, a few short ones would do me.

However, as we were saying the other day....this lockdown has shown us and indeed forced how to find new paths and ways near our homes and how lucky we are to be able to walk them
and all is needed is a map and a compass ..
Mind you.......in our case we still get lost....no yellow arrows here!!!

June 16, 2017: For some reason I love this gnarly tree as you walk in to Triacastela. BTW, the boots tell the real story, about 680k worth of dirt and dust.

gnarley tree.JPG

June 16, 2019: Leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again...we all know the feeling.

leaving on a jet plane.jpeg

A lovely arrival photo!! And classically photobombed by the little white train 😄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Since I am not too tech-savvy and was not paying enough attention to delete my flights, my calendar has been particularly annoying today. It has been notifying me that I am supposed to be getting on a plane from Madrid to Charlotte and Charlotte to my little town in Illinois. So I guess my camino 2020 is done.

Attachments

• 5572B451-6949-46D0-8606-FEAEC8C5C755.png
    5572B451-6949-46D0-8606-FEAEC8C5C755.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Yep, I'm with you @peregrina2000. With me it is Facebook or FindPenguins reminding me of what I was doing last year or the year before, or Qatar airlines sending me emails about flight deals. Staying off the internet helps and I am trying to live in the moment but I can't keep making muffins. Even the cross trainer can't keep up with my expanding waistline.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just popping in to say thanks to everyone posting photos and commenting, it is a delight, especially on this rather grey ‘soft’ day here in Dublin! My earliest ever day walking a camino was 23rd June, 2006. Such trepidation! Roncesvalles to Larrasoaña. Swelteringly hot, and every moment full of the excitement of actually doing something at the grand old age of 58 that I would never have dreamed of doing. I can still recall most of the people we met that day, many of whom we met all along the way to Santiago. What stands out? The first water fountain, the first fresh slice of tortilla, the grandparents with their 11 year old grandson, the very welcome sight of a place to sit down outside the albergue in Larrasoaña while we waited for my friend’s father to pick us up. He delivered us to our starting point and collected us each day for the first three days until finally we set off from Puente la Reina without a backward glance. My photos are currently out of action. You each have your own memories! My next camino, I hope, will be the Baztanés. Even the second half of it, maybe on an elastic band, ie walk halfway on a section, and back to the car, and so on for 3 days until reaching Pamplona. Depends on when Spain shows green on the travelwise app of the Department of foreign Affairs in Ireland... 👣

In 2012 at the iconic Arc de Caparra on the VdlP
Arc of Caparra 17-6-12 (1).jpeg

2014 Approaching the formidable Sierra Guadarrama north of Madrid. I still refused to wear - (big mistake) - padded shorts in those days "I'm not a cyclist" I would say, "I'm just a guy on a bike."
Contemplating the S de Guadarrama, approaching Manzanares 17-6-14.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
June is a special month for me as I started my 1st and 2nd Camino in early May and slowly getting used to walking with a backpack and the Spanish/Portuguese's June weather pattern, which was quite different than I expected (was in 2017 and 2018) into the very end of June on each Camino.

Walking the Camino in June made me feel more alive than ever and more connected to the soil and its energy. The distinctive cultures that each village has that I was lucky to have a glimpse of their normal lives as a pilgrim also gave me strength that I needed.

Sadly, I skipped the Camino last year due to life events so I wanted to go again beginning in May and getting into June this year. I now regret that I didn't take a chance last year.
I'm pretty sure the Camino will not be ready for us this year but maybe next year in June....
I took a lot of photos in June but I will not upload them right now because once I start I know I will be spending the next few hours, digging them, thinking about them..

Thanks for those of you who shared beautiful photos here. I thoroughly enjoyed them!

So great to re-read the story of your credential!!
There was something very special about last year's Invierno. I was 'alone,' but at the same time there was this whole train of us walking it at about the same time. So the journey felt solitary, but not solitary. I was only able to meet @Charrito in person, but it didn't matter - the whole credential saga that happened after that only deepened the sense of community. It was the best of both worlds.

No longer on the camino, but basking in the joy of being in Santiago.
About to go up the stairs into the Capilla de la Corticela:20190618_095810 (2).jpg
It's my favorite corner of the cathedral. Strictly speaking it's not part of the cathedral at all, but an iglesia in its own right. It feels like a time capsule, having not been ruined by the kind of grotesque facade that was plastered on the outside of the cathedral itself. (Please forgive my strong opinions...I love the Romanesque and wish I had a real time capsule to allow me to see what the cathedral looked like before the Baroque renovations!)

It's a separate parish church and you can even get married there as a foreigner if you and your beloved make all the arrangements before your camino.

Last edited:
June 18 2012
Putting my feet where the legions trod, Baños de Montemayor Vdlp.
Roman road Baños 18-6-12.jpeg
2014 The reward for the tough climb out of Cercedilla. C de Madrid accompanied by my younger son - a real thrill.
Lookin back from the S Guadarrama 18-6-14.jpeg
2016 Another VdlP with my best friend from my home town in Australia. He's smiling here, but suffered on the 10km hot climb into Monesterio.
Before the climb, Monesterio 18-6-16.jpeg
2017 Still in Santiago after another VdlP. A street near the Cathedral I visited often for its delightful little restaurant O Mundial.
Rúa Conga 18-6-17.jpeg
2018 An interesting and audacious journey that year. I had bought a new bike in Madrid and rode it to Santiago - part C. de Madrid and Sanabres. Then C. Frances in reverse, (a weird experience), and through France to Brittany. Ferry to Cork Ireland where I left it with my son for my future trips. On the 18th I placed a stone at Cruz de Ferro in memory of my deceased friend, (above) who was to have accompanied me part of the way, but had died suddenly early in the year.
A stone for my dead friend 18-6-18.jpeg
2019 Arriving in Les Landes, SW France. Apparently before the drainage programs and pine plantations it was difficult to get around. Here a googled picture of 19th century paysans.
Stilts in Les Landes.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
19 June 2012
Shared the incomparable Fuenterroble albergue with one other pilgrim, a professor from Barcelona University. Very stimulating conversation.
Albergue Fuenterroble 19-6-12.jpegFuenterroble 19-6-12.jpegFuentrroble.jpegP6200610.jpeg
2014 C Madrid Tom in Segovia 19-6-14.jpeg 2016 VdlP Calzadilla de los Barros.jpeg
2018 Morning coffee with P, but Rebekah away
Moratinos 19-6-18.jpeg
2019 Joining the coastal C. de St Jacques at Léon (which does not appear on Ivar's big map).
Back on Camino 10-6-19.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I must have got my dates wrong on this one!
Looking at my diary today I realise that we walked the Primitivo in 2009 and not 2012 as I thought
This day in 09 we walked from Pola de Allende to Berducedo which according to the diary was the "best scenery so far"
"A long climb up where we met a huge dog who turned out to be a pussy cat!"
Just as well as I'd have been running back down the hill if he'd growled at us.
An abandoned village apart from one house
Stayed in a lovely Casa rural where we discovered the lady also had an albergue underneath
Ate with a polish girl called Elizabeth who we walked with on and off until Lugo. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

June 18, 2017: The celebration of Corpus Christi in Sarria with reinforcements from Texas as we headed out early for Portomarin. For those of you who were in Spain during this time, it was HOT!

0618-3.JPG

0618-2.JPG

Paul on Day 1, all smiles.

0618-4.jpg

Their first 100k, my last 100k.

0618-1.JPG

That days Camino family. A bunch of Texan's and my German brother, Alex.

dinner portomarin.JPG

I'm finding it addictive looking back on the day in different years - you've probably noticed!
2012 Salamanca
Salamanca 20-6-12.jpeg
2014 THE place to stay in Segovia.
Hostal in Segovia (1).jpeg
2016 The majestic entry into Merida.
The majestic entry into Merida 20-6-16.jpeg
2018 I hoped to stay at El Molino of "The Way" fame. Closed.
El Molino near Hornillos 20-6-18 (1).jpeg
2019 The Camino follows in part a WW2 track established for German army motorcyclists to patrol the infinite beach of Les Landes. Some sections are newly bitumened.
Voie du Littoral, Chemin de Compostelle. 20-6-19.jpeg

Like Paul (above) I have been enjoying revisiting my photo memories of past caminos and visits to Santiago through this thread. I have been privileged to be accepted as a volunteer in the Pilgrims Office three times now and being in the city for quite a few nights each time has given me the opportunity to explore it. I was there last year at this time for almost three weeks and I have been amazed by how few photos I actually took at that time :) I want to be true to the spirit of this thread and only post photos from the dates I actually took them.
For those who haven't had the opportunity to explore Santiago, 'Johnnie Walker' has recently posted videos on Youtube which give another insight to the city and are worth a view: Secret Santiago Secret Santiago 2

Here are a couple of my memories from 20 June 2019: Concert on the Praza da Quintana de Mortos and the classic view of the cathedral from Parque da Alameda.20190620 City Music.jpg20190620 City Musicjpg.jpg20190620 from the park.jpg

Last edited:
Please do!
You are asking for trouble! I have over 40,000 photo's on my computer - it has been my hobby all my life. OK I will post just 3 more, taken from my favourite camino - the Delta d'Ebro A wonderful, peaceful camino along the side of the great Ebro river. These, and many more, are on my web site.

P1020434.JPG

Wildlife of the Ebro.

P1020577.JPG

Close to Font Calda [above], and, finally,

Early morning mist along the Ebro, walking the "Via Verde" through disused railway tunnels.

P1020533.JPG

My apologies for taking up so much space on the forum!
Buen camino!

You are asking for trouble! I have over 40,000 photo's on my computer - it has been my hobby all my life. OK I will post just 3 more, taken from my favourite camino - the Delta d'Ebro A wonderful, peaceful camino along the side of the great Ebro river. These, and many more, are on my web site.

View attachment 77309

Wildlife of the Ebro.

View attachment 77310

Close to Font Calda [above], and, finally,

Early morning mist along the Ebro, walking the "Via Verde" through disused railway tunnels.

View attachment 77311

My apologies for taking up so much space on the forum!
Buen camino!
No apologies necessary Stephen, imo! 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Close to Font Calda.......walking the "Via Verde" through disused railway tunnels.
Very impressive geology - (vertical strata!) - in that ravine, Stephen. I couldn't resist the urge to find out where that is....where the camino cuts through the Sierra del Crestall on the far centre left of this map? Another camino is going on my bucket list.
Camino del Ebro.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
June 20, 2017 on the way to Arzua. Second breakfast along the way.

Second Bfast.JPG

Stayed at The Way albergue, new and it had air conditioning, there were 7 of us and we had a room of our own, no bunk beds. One of the newbies, Paul, was wasted, but cool, on Day 3...it was really hot 100F/38C. Not the hottest day which was on the way to Villafranca 104F/40C.

PG Bagged.JPG

Camino family is enlarging, was with this group off and on most of the CF. I've been lucky enough to have seen most of them since. Good friends. All of us walking a little more slowly. We want to get to Santiago, just not too soon.

Dinner Arzua.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
June 21 2012
Visited this architectural gem in Salamanca; San Marcos, 12thC.
Reputedly one of 3 circular-plan Spanish churches with basilica interiors - the other two Eunate and Vera Cruz Segovia, although they are octagonal. The 3 apses are not discernible on the exterior, being "sculpted" from solid stone blocks. No true windows, just arrow slits gives the interior a solemn appeal.
San Marcos Salamanca 21-6-12.jpegSan Marcos Salamanca 21-6-12 (1).jpegApse San Marcos Salamanca 21-6-12.jpegSan Marcos elevation.jpegPlan San Marcos Salamanca.jpeg

€83,-
Oh, an interesting one from 22/6/14. My son Tom at the Science Museum in Valladolid, fascinated by the Foucault Pendulum...he wouldn't leave until he saw it knock down a steel pin. The museum is an easy bus ride from Puente de Duero albergue.
Science Museum Valladolid 22-6-14.jpeg

Last edited:
June 22, 2017: Arrived in Santiago. Happy to arrive, happy to see Susan. Sad to be done. At that time, the Cathedral was wrapped in scaffolding and blue tarps. June 2019 was much better.

Cathedral.JPG

My family for that day.

arrival.JPG

We did make the Mass and my wife and daughter who did not walk, enjoyed it as well.

mass.JPG

Not the last dinner with friends and fellow Pilgrims but the sand in the hour-glass is running out. It was the festival of San Xoan and we witnessed the witches marching into the plaza.

party.JPG

The next pictures are from the 23rd, some of my friends were on their way to Finisterre, others took the bus there. My knee was screaming so I stayed in Santiago to get my wife and daughter off to France. Some of us toured the Cathedral.

santiago.JPG

These two gentlemen are Juan and Henry (on the right) from Puerto Rico, Juan now lives in Orlando. I met Henry coming down from the Cruz de Ferro, he'd started only the day before and he was beat. I sat with him and chatted, I shared my banana with him but mostly we just talked for about 10 minutes. He seemed much better. I met him again in Triacastella where he bought me a beer and told me he'd given me a nickname "el ángel del camino de las cabras", the angel of the goat path. I don't/didn't deserve it, all I did was take an interest in a fellow human being. I'll take it though. If anyone knows them, I've been very concerned because shortly after their Camino, the horrific hurricane hit Puerto Rico and I've worried about my friend Henry ever since.

juan-henry.JPG

With my family in Santiago, I waited until the next day to claim my certificate and continued to meet wonderful people, this was taken by Maria from Slovakia who started in Sarria. She felt unfulfilled and wanted to start in SJPP. She'd finished the Camino but she had not yet started it. I hope she has now.

certs.JPG

That night, before we were all scattered to the winds, we had an epic Tapas Crawl. As my friend Nigel from Northern Ireland taught me, it was mad craic.

tapascrawl.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back