A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

On this date in May...

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
29/05/12. Day 40. Finistera - Muxia. 30Km

Bad headache this morning, a mixture of yesterdays sun and last nights wine, although the sun might be innocent in this case. We were on the road out of Finistera at 08.00 and on the way to Lires, fifteen km away. We had breakfast at a local café just before we left.

Mixed walking today, some on roads and more through woodland. We lost the arrows at one point but a local woman pointed us in the right direction.

We met a woman we knew slightly coming against us on the trail in the woods, she was so pleased to see us she hugged us both, I think she may have been worried about being lost and we were a welcome sight.

When we arrived at Lires it was still before noon and even though it was sunny it was very cold, not really suitable to visit the beach there.

lires.jpg

We had lunch in the albergue/café but held off on checking in. After a lunchtime powwow we decided to press on to Muxia. This turned out to be a good decision as we found out later that there were only two buses from Muxia to Santiago, one at 06.45 and the last one at 14.30. This would have given us very little time to explore Muxia if we were walking from Lires the next day.

img_0254.jpg

Muxia.

When we arrived in Muxia we walked through the town then stopped and had a great lunch at a new hotel. We then walked to the albergue to collect our Muxia Compostela. The albergue was full but we weren’t going to stay there anyway.

We walked back to the hotel where we had lunch, and booked in there, €50.00 for a big double room with a huge balcony and lounger chairs. As it was too cold to lounge out there so we hung the washing on the chairs instead. Nel and a friend of hers booked in here as well.

We had a funny incident in the room where we were staying. Iggy was in the bathroom having his shower and shave, I was lying on my bed writing up my notes for the day when I heard him say stop it, I didn’t pay much heed, after another minute I heard him say sod off, again I didn’t pay much heed. When he came out a few minutes later he asked if I had come into the bathroom while he was shaving, I assured him I had not, then he told me that after he came out of the shower and was drying off someone smacked him on the butt, that was the stop, a short while later it happened again, that was the sod off. I had a good laugh about this until we found out later that the hotel was built on the site of a local woman’s house, Lolo, who was supposed to be a great character in the area, they even named the hotel after her. That’s my brother, he can charm old Texans and ghosts.

Nel, her German friend, who was a really nice guy and a great laugh, and ourselves had a lovely meal out in the port area that night, no pilgrim meal this time, we pushed the boat out, pardon the pun, as it was our last night on the Camino, we are officially finished tomorrow. Nell is heading for Finistera in the morning, she is walking the reverse of our route. Full of good food and wine we fell fast asleep without giving Lolo another thought.

20120530_104902.jpg

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I could not have wished myself a better walking companion.
And I can say the very same thing!
This last day of the Via de Bayona was a treat - a long stretch of Roman road, and so many wildflowers.
20190529_082521.jpg20190529_074706.jpg20190529_090935.jpg

Lunch in Burgos - bittersweet celebration of our successful walk with fantastic pizza! And then for me there was the task of saying farewell to Sabine, and continuing on to Rabe on the Frances. It made for a slightly long day, but walking in the afternoon when the crowd was thin lessened the shock of merging onto the superhighway.
20190529_133200.jpg 20190529_170018.jpg

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
30/05/12. Day 41. Muxia. Last Day.

We had a really lovely breakfast in the hotel this morning and afterwards we walked to the Little church of the Virgin of the Boat outside the town at a beautiful headland.

20120530_101910.jpg 20120530_102655.jpg

Santuario da Virxe da Barca.

The day is just beautiful and a great day to finish our Camino. I could stay walking, it’s a simple life, but I miss Jane, the boys and the grand-kids so its time to call a halt and head home. We spent some time at the headland on our own enjoying the moment and thinking our own thoughts.

20120530_102638.jpg 20120530_102822.jpg 20120530_105240.jpg

We checked out of our hotel, said goodbye to Lolo :) then headed to the port area and had a lovely lunch. The bus that takes us back to Santiago leaves from here.

After Santiago we take a train to Alicante to spend a few days R&R with our brother who lives near there. Jane will meet us there as well.

What a fantastic adventure this was. Thanks to Iggy who put the gun to my head back in February to do this Camino, otherwise I might be still talking about it. We talked a lot on the journey, we became famous for it, we missed turn off's and arrows because of it, people said to us you are the two Irish guys who are always talking, we heard about you along the way.
It was great. Can’t wait to do it again.

camino2.jpg

Buen Camino.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
The night of May 27, 2019 while I was in San Nicolás del Real Camino I learned that a friend from home was serving as hospitalera at the municipal albergue in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos - which was the alternative route on my next day's walk! I hadn't planned on going that way, but quickly changed my mind. I loved the little albergue there. Since there were only two other peregrinas and me, we each had a "room" to ourselves, and it was so great to see my friend!
20190529_142251_copy_1008x756.jpg

The next morning I got an early start since it was heating up, and I had a long walk before there was anywhere to stop for breakfast.
20190530_175937_copy_1008x756_1.jpg

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
May 31st 2015 - we arrived in Santiago from the Ruta Do Mar (Ribadeo to Ferrol) and the Camino Ingles, our last time into Santiago. Followed by the English Mass on the 1st June and evening prayer. Met @natefaith and @JohnnieWalker and next day @ivar . Happy memories.
Photos: the chapel where the English Mass and evening prayer were held.
Hams in the cafe where we had lunch

chapel.jpg hams.jpg

Gregor80

Camino(s) past & future
Frances starting May 9
If you were on the Camino on this date in May in a previous year, where were you? I arrived in St Jean Pied de Port on May 10th last year for my fourth Camino, which would take me along the Francés to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then I walked to Avilés to connect to the Norte. After reaching Santiago I continued on to Finisterre.

Several threads that I started about dates in May have been combined into one.

When you respond, please mention the date, route you were on and where you walked (or rested) that day. Thanks!
I was one day ahead of you, started on May 9th. On 10th I started from Roncesvalles and finished in Urdaniz, aprox 150m off Camino trail in a very nice private albergue. It rained in the morning, but second part of the day was dry and beautiful.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances , Pamplona Burgos august 2018 Burgos to Santiago 19 /04 to 20/05/2019
If you were on the Camino on this date in May in a previous year, where were you? I arrived in St Jean Pied de Port on May 10th last year for my fourth Camino, which would take me along the Francés to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then I walked to Avilés to connect to the Norte. After reaching Santiago I continued on to Finisterre.

When you respond, please mention the date, route you were on and where you walked (or rested) that day. Thanks!

View attachment 74801View attachment 74802

View attachment 74801View attachment 74802

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances , Pamplona Burgos august 2018 Burgos to Santiago 19 /04 to 20/05/2019
11thof mayb! Merci birthday at La casa del Pescador in Ambasmestas ! I met a Belgian twin lady for breakfast ! I had a few ( twisted candles!)on the bottom of my bag! Irina the Russian owner of the Albergue will h her big smile baked lovely blinis for us !

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 321 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock