• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino, on this date in May...

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
If you were on the Camino on this date in May in a previous year, where were you? I arrived in St Jean Pied de Port on May 10th last year for my fourth Camino, which would take me along the Francés to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then I walked to Avilés to connect to the Norte. After reaching Santiago I continued on to Finisterre.

Several threads that I started about dates in May have been combined into one.

When you respond, please mention the date, route you were on and where you walked (or rested) that day. Thanks!

SJPdP.jpgSJPdPriver.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On May 10, 2017, my younger son and I arrived in Pamplona. I wanted at least one member of my family to get a peek at the Camino that so absorbed me.... We walked from SJPP to Logrono before he had to return home.... Had never been, and will never be again, so close as we were that May.

1589157055765.png

Last edited:
Last year on May 10th, 2019, I was on the Portuguese Camino. I left Pontevedra in the morning and started the Spiritual Variant, ending my day in the beautiful stone village of Combarro.

Attachments

• 20190510_090220.jpg
    20190510_090220.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 20190510_161549.jpg
    20190510_161549.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 37
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nice thread, brings back memories! On 10 May 2018 I was on the flight home from Madrid having walked the Camino Madrid, the Salvador, the Primitivo, and then south on the Portuguese via the Espiritual Variant to Porto.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On this day in 2012 we were having a very lazy rest day in Leon.
My very few notes from that day.

11/05/12
Today was a very lazy day. Up, had breakfast, walked down to the river, sat in the park, walked back towards the Cathedral, had coffee, met a few more pilgrims we know to say hello to, more coffee.

Met Lilly again, she is staying in the Hotel Paris very close to the Cathedral. It has a pool and spa, real luxury and not very expensive she said.

I think Ana and Ulricka are staying there as well. Met Jim from new York again, he is staying in the albergue near the Cathedral. The forecast for tomorrow is for a warm cloudy day with a risk of rain. I'm getting itchy feet and looking forward to being on the road again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We just squeak in because I didn't see this thread until today, May 11th. That is the day we arrived in Pamplona from Barcelona in 2015. On the 12th we bused to St. Jean and we started walking on the 13th. We finished in Muxia on July 17th after spending 66 days on the Camino Francés and the trip to Finisterra and Muxia.

No sneaking in for me - the OP is dated 'Today at 1.20am'!

And on 11/5/17, I was setting out from Oviedo on the Primitivo.

P1030870.jpg

For the past few years, I have walked in mid May -
15/5/16 the Camino Catalan
11/5/17 the Camino Primitivo
14/5/18 the Camino Salvador
18/5/19 the Via Podiensis, starting again from Conques

This year, as microsoft calendar keeps telling me today, I should be flying from Stansted to Biarritz to start the Camino Frances tomorrow. All the photos I will have to recall this year's non pilgrimage is my train ticket from home to Stansted, cut in half in order to claim a refund.P1070259 (1).jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I changed the title of this thread to reflect the date of 10 May, so that it doesn't become full of pictures and anecdotes from many dates. (sorry, I got the idea too late in the day to post so that it would be on May 10th in most of the world 🤪) I will start another thread for 11 May.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
May 10 2019 - the third day on the Le Puy route, climbing out of Monistrol d'Allier, past le bete de gevaudan and herds of sheep and a peacock to La Clauze
May 11 2019 - the fourth day on the Le Puy, climbing to Le Sauvage onward to La Roche
Days of rain, cold, wind ... ah, yes, I remember it well

Ok, I'll try again as I got it wrong the last try :)
Notes from the day.

10/05/12

We had a nice breakfast this morning, a bit like home, coffee with toast and jam, then we hit the last 12km to Leon. No rush today so we took several breaks. It is warm and sunny so T shirt time again. The walk into Leon itself is not very inspiring, through suburbs and business areas but it's all part of the experience.

We met the backwards pilgrim again this morning, no mistake this time. He must be busing ahead and walking the stages backwards. Well it's a different approach. We arrived in Leon at 12.00 and with the help of some friendly policemen made our way to the Plaza Mayor.

We went to see a pension that was recommended in the guide book. After a lot of searching we eventually found it and it was pretty basic, and that's being kind. The lady who ran the place, I think it was just a few rooms in her own house, wanted €45 for a double room without shower or toilet en suite. We then decided we would walk back down towards the river to see a Hostal we had seen advertised in the albergue in Villarente.

leon1.jpg leon2.jpg

It was a Nice Hostal/hotel with a good size double room and with the all important shower/toilet in the room. This also cost €45. We booked for two nights. We were about a five to seven minute walk from the Cathedral.

20120510_142458.jpg

After the usual shower, shave, change of clothes and laundry work we headed out to see the sights and get some lunch. We met a few people we knew to see and had a few words with them. After lunch we went back to the hotel for a siesta. When we came out again later to have dinner we met Ana and Ukricka, they joined us for dinner and we caught up on all the news from the way. This is where I found that Ulricka was from Germany and had perfect American English and not American with perfect German as I first thought. She is doing her PhD in Astro Physics and is the lovliest person.

We had just missed Josh and Sara, they had left Leon this morning. I was great to meet Ana again, we run into her every few days and she is so full of exuberance we start to miss her if we don't see her for a while. All the others we know are either gone ahead on buses or are still behind.

We met Lilly and it was lovely to meet her again and catch up. She has an ankle/shin injury and will take a few days in Leon to rest up.
(Unfortunately this was the last time we met Lilly as her extra rest days meant we ended up ahead of her all the way to Santiago.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May 10 2019 - the third day on the Le Puy route, climbing out of Monistrol d'Allier, past le bete de gevaudan and herds of sheep and a peacock to La Clauze
May 11 2019 - the fourth day on the Le Puy, climbing to Le Sauvage onward to La Roche
Days of rain, cold, wind ... ah, yes, I remember it well
I love the Le Puy route! A favorite of mine for sure!...but they all have been!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On May 11 2016 I was in Carrion de los Condes. I loved that town and the Meseta.

Last year on Mothers Day I was with my brother in Oviedo -- we were supposed to begin the Primitivo the next day but I was sidelined due to sciatica (I had walked the Frances from SJPP to Astorga, then I could walk no more).

We were making our arrangements to change our flights to return to the US ASAP. I'm grateful for travel insurance! After making our arrangements to leave the following day, we had a great last day in Oviedo -- the weather was beautiful, there were a couple of small processionals around, and it was just a memorable day.

Ah, the memories!

Was this on the camino or your own back yard? 😅
I wish haha - people scoff at the phrase the Camino provides but that evening it truly did - I expected very little - a bed and a shower would have been enough - instead I got country club comfort - I filled my pockets with the boiled sweets provided at reception - probably for children now I think about it lol.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On May 10 2014 I was walking from Betanzos to Hospital De Bruma with my pal Alan from Australia. We were filling in a few days before we were due in Santiago to volunteer at the Pilgrims Office. Fond memories:):)

On the 10th May 2015 we were on the Camino Madrid walking between Zamarramala and Santa María la Real de Nieva. Fab walk on a fab day :)

Last edited:
On May 10, 2015 I was taking a rest day - only walking 15 km from Belorado to Villafranca Montes de Oca.

On May 9, 2015 I had dinner with @Buz Radican at the A Santiago albergue in Belorado. I arrived there knowing he was staying there, and I wandered around asking if anyone knew Buz - I didn't know his real name or what he looked like, but I found him anyway.

On May 10, 2015 the weather was 32 degrees Celcius and I stayed in a room with single beds at San Anton Abad. I had a very delicious, huge hamburger in their bar in the afternoon and was too full to have their fabulous dinner. I really enjoyed the day.

May 11, 2015. I was on my first Camino, walking towards Portomarin.
5/11/16- In Oviedo, waiting to turn on to the Primitivo from the Norte.
5/11/17- Walked from El Acebo to Ponferrada...one of my favorite stretches on the Camino Frances.
5/11/18- At home contemplating leaving in late May for the Via Podiensa Camino!
5/11/19- Camino Portuguese staying in Armenteira on a lovely sunny day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the chance to exercise the brain & recollect. 😊
On 11 May:
2015 - arriving in Lisbon to start the Caminho Portugues
2016 - about to set off on St Olav's Way, Norway
2017 - Temples 56 to 59 near Imabari, Shikoku, Japan
2018 - Vietnam (a non-walking anomaly...)
2019 - Pont St Martin, Italy on the VF
2020 - meant to be in Israel... 😄

Obviously I'm a spring walker (escaping oncoming winter at home)...& glad I keep notes to refer back to!
Happy memories & trails everyone.
👣 🌏

@trecile It wasn't just a pool. It was leather couches and flat screen tv's, fabulous food, outdoor furniture to laze about on, and a balcony off the room. The view was amazing. There was a bar and outdoor tables. And all for 10 euros for a bed. Here's another picture:IMAG3080.jpg

This was in Acebo. Lots of people walk the whole way down the mountain and miss this gem. Albergue La Casa del Peregrino not to be confused with the Casa Rural La Casa del Peregrino that you pass as you enter Acebo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 I was travelling by fast train from Barcelona back to Logrono. (I had taken a four day rest break, having pulled a bunch of muscles in my right hip from the manner I had descended Alto-del-Perdon on Thursday, 5 May.)

Getting of the train early afternoon I started walking west towards Compostela. But the pain had not gone away, so diverted to the parish albergue. The hospitalero took me to the local hospital out-patients: they were very kind and arranged a local anaesthetic.

At Mass in the parish church an elderly parishioner pressed a 1 euro coin into my hand. I smiled warmly at her, as our hands touched, in appreciation of this very large token of support she was giving me.

2016... On the Via Francigena, our favourite walk in the Tuscan hills from San Quirico to Radicofani
2014 May 11th on the Cathar Way...a pilgrimage also I suppose ...the walk documenting the lives and demise of the Cathar religion/Sect
We were in Montsegur, the last stronghold castle of the Carhars

On May, 11th I was in Vannes, south coast of Brittany, on my first camino from home to Cap Finisterre along the French and Spanish coast. This was the only May 11th I was ever walking a camino...

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you were on the Camino on May 11th in any year, where were you?
Last year I walked fromSJPdP to Orisson.

View attachment 74826
TWO YEARS AGO, MY HUSBAND AND I WALKED FROM PORTO TO SANTIAGO. I WAS SUFFERING FROM SEVERE SCIATICA AND PLANTAR FASCIATIS, AND AS WE CROSSED THE SQUARE AT THE CATHEDRAL, MY HUSBAND HELD ME CLOSE TO HELP ME FINISH - I FELT A LIGHT SHINING DOWN AND ANGLES WELCOMING ME WITH THEIR TRUMPETS. THEN LAST YEAR ON MAY 11TH, I WAS TOLD THAT I COULD HAVE BACK SURGERY IN 11 DAYS - THAT CHANGED MY LIFE. NOW I CAN THINK OF DOING A LONGER CAMINO ONE DAY. I WILL BE 79 AND MY HUSBAND, 84 THIS YEAR.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the chance to exercise the brain & recollect. 😊
On 11 May:
2015 - arriving in Lisbon to start the Caminho Portugues
2016 - about to set off on St Olav's Way, Norway
2017 - Temples 56 to 59 near Imabari, Shikoku, Japan
2018 - Vietnam (a non-walking anomaly...)
2019 - Pont St Martin, Italy on the VF
2020 - meant to be in Israel... 😄

Obviously I'm a spring walker (escaping oncoming winter at home)...& glad I keep notes to refer back to!
Happy memories & trails everyone.
👣 🌏
We should start a new section titled "I am jealous because of..." and then move posts like this there!
;)

I'm a day late getting my response posted, but on May 11, 2017, my wife and I left Barcelos on the Camino Portugués, and walked to Lugar do Corgo, where we spent the night at Casa Fernanda, one of everyone's favorite places on the Portuguese central route. From my notes:

Day 5 - Barcelos to Lugar do Corgo
Today's distance was 12.4 miles, for total of 52.7 so far. It rained off and on all day, but only one really hard shower for about 15 minutes. The terrain was beautiful farmland and rolling hills, with what involved a long, slow climb of about 150 meters (Alto da Portela). We're staying tonight at Casa Fernanda, a private albergue which provides a home-cooked dinner and breakfast in the morning.

A couple of photos from Casa Fernanda:
1589295528130.png

1589295635812.png

12.05.13 by the river Lot, on GR65 in Espalion

Attachments

• 84AD4272-62A4-4BAC-8E55-C32BF725F120.jpeg
    84AD4272-62A4-4BAC-8E55-C32BF725F120.jpeg
    446.4 KB · Views: 14
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Notes from 12/05/12

12/05/12

We were up and away by 07.00. The forecast was spot on, its warm, overcast and humid. We didn't take the usual way out of Leon, as we were near the river anyway we walked there and followed it to the point where it meets the Camino which is near the famous Parador Leon.

The way out of Leon is not a very nice walk, lots of blocks of flats and industrial estates. We had breakfast a few kilometers outside the city. A nice cafe with sidewalk tables and the girl who worked there inviting everyone who passed to sit and have breakfast, it was a good one too.

The day cleared up and it got warm and sunny so I zipped off the bottoms of my walking pants and let my legs see the sun, the first time since last September, man they were white, I think I blinded some of the locals. Passed the backwards pilgrim again today. Saw some trogladite dwellings after leon, I didn't know they were in this part of Spain as well.

20120512_074648.jpg

We also saw lots more storks nesting. They are not very busy in this part of Spain as we saw no babies being delivered :)

20120512_095317.jpg

We took it easy today and had several breaks and drank loads of water because of the heat. We reached our intended destination of Villadangos del Paramo by 12.00 but as usual after a break we decided to push ahead another six to seven kilometers to San Martin del Camino. We arrived at 13.30 and checked into the first albergue we met, it was quite hot by then. This was a private albergue so we got a double room. It was called albergue Ana and the lady who ran it was very nice, she was called Ana by the way.

ana21.jpg ana1.jpg

After showering and getting into some clean clothes we did all the laundry and hung them to dry in the orchard then went and had a few beers.

We decided on a light lunch to keep us going until dinner which was at seven this evening. I obviously didn't get my intentions across when I ordered because After the salad was finished, which was all I thought I ordered, the main course arrived, then dessert. We were stuffed,

I told Ana as best I could that we probably would not be hungry enough for dinner at seven but she said she would serve ours at eight instead. Big siesta after this. Dinner was equally as big and as nice and we gave it our best shot.

Mostly Germans and French here so we did not get to talk to anyone new as they pretty much kept to their own groups. It's at times like this I miss the gang we meet from time to time.

On my first Camino in ´14, I had a stroke of bad bad luck.
I broke a tooth and look up a dentist the following day, which was a Monday...
But I had a good stay at the nuns in the big dormitories..
And the evening mass and Pilgrim service was wonderful.
At the church the sun came right in from the west, in through the church, as they opened the large doors in the belfrey tower and the light flooded in...
In this warm light that warmed my shoulders in the back of the church, I had ample time to consider what had happened when I chewed, it seemed on a fork in the morning while eating an otherwise delicious pastie, and thus split a weak tooth... Sugar ! Rats... what rotten luck...
I had to part company with the small bunch of young people I was with a few days before, and they kept on....
But it all melted away and I took in the large room that was lit up in a golden and comforting way...As the sun lowered in its track as the service progressed and filled the large room, I gave in and was comforted...
I still consider this my best visit to church and mass of all my caminos....

1589298107283.png

1589298151237.png

1589298262317.png recognize it now !?

In the dormitory at bedtime I started a conversation with Darrell from the US, who still had terrible blisters from the Pyrenees, we kept in touch throughout the rest of the way and we are still writing together to this day.
Thank you for reminding me, it was indeed a lovely day of all the days. Mixed with mischief, but that melted away...

ps I got my tooth fixed temporarily so I could continue my camino but this forced me to walking later than 12 o´clock and having to do a 30 K stint, I set to it in a forced march tempo..
As fate would have it, that is the lesson I learnt: I got my first blisters...
I had been so self confident to think I would not get blisters, like the others did, but I did too.
Take it easy !!

Last edited:
On 12th May 2014, Alan, my Australian pal, and I arrived in Santiago having just finished the Camino Ingles. It had been a short walk in beautiful weather and we were in good time for the Pilgrims Mass at 12. We spent a few days in the city before we started a volunteering stint together in the Pilgrims Office.

On 12th May 2015 Alan, Mike from America, Ruben from Madrid and I arrived in Alcazaren on the Camino Madrid having walked in from Coca. We were in the Bar Real to collect a key for the alburgue when we met Maria, a lady from Holland, who had arrived just ahead of us. Maria (in her seventies) was walking alone and had been on the way for seven days. She joined our happy band for the rest of the camino and we parted the very best of friends. The next year she started on the Primitivo but had to stop in Lugo with what she thought was a knee issue: she bussed it to Santiago and spent a few days with Alan who was volunteering in the Pilgrims Office. We kept in touch and Maria subsequently had a hip joint replaced later that year: it hadn't been her knee at all. She had a laugh about that. In 2017 we arranged to meet to walk the Invierno and hopefully to volunteer together in the Pilgrims Office. Plans were well advanced when totally unexpectedly Maria was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer: after a brave fight, she sadly passed away on 23 August that year. We were devastated, she was such a vibrant, positive, happy person. Those two dates, 12 May 2015 and 23 August 2017 will always have a special place in my camino memories.

2018 I had a delicious lunch in the restaurant at Ponte Maceira on the way to Muxia/Fisterra...View attachment 74897
@Josefus, you hit the jackpot. I have been through Ponte Maceira three or four times and never found the restaurant open. It surely has to be one of the most beautiful villages in Spain, and I imagine that sitting on their outdoor terrace was just wonderful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Funnily enough (though not so funny to me), I was supposed to be waking up in Orisson this morning at the beginning of my very first Camino and reckon I would have been almost to Roncesvalles right now. This thread is making me a little sad for what was supposed to have been ... but also hopeful and excited for what will still be once I'm able to reschedule my Camino. :)

I'm a day late getting my response posted, but on May 11, 2017, my wife and I left Barcelos on the Camino Portugués, and walked to Lugar do Corgo, where we spent the night at Casa Fernanda, one of everyone's favorite places on the Portuguese central route. From my notes:

Day 5 - Barcelos to Lugar do Corgo
Today's distance was 12.4 miles, for total of 52.7 so far. It rained off and on all day, but only one really hard shower for about 15 minutes. The terrain was beautiful farmland and rolling hills, with what involved a long, slow climb of about 150 meters (Alto da Portela). We're staying tonight at Casa Fernanda, a private albergue which provides a home-cooked dinner and breakfast in the morning.

A couple of photos from Casa Fernanda:
View attachment 74900

View attachment 74901
Yes I loved that place and room in 2017. Did she make bbq chicken?

TWO YEARS AGO, MY HUSBAND AND I WALKED FROM PORTO TO SANTIAGO. I WAS SUFFERING FROM SEVERE SCIATICA AND PLANTAR FASCIATIS, AND AS WE CROSSED THE SQUARE AT THE CATHEDRAL, MY HUSBAND HELD ME CLOSE TO HELP ME FINISH - I FELT A LIGHT SHINING DOWN AND ANGLES WELCOMING ME WITH THEIR TRUMPETS. THEN LAST YEAR ON MAY 11TH, I WAS TOLD THAT I COULD HAVE BACK SURGERY IN 11 DAYS - THAT CHANGED MY LIFE. NOW I CAN THINK OF DOING A LONGER CAMINO ONE DAY. I WILL BE 79 AND MY HUSBAND, 84 THIS YEAR.
Hope to see you out there Myrna!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 2015 I should have been somewhere between Ourense and Santiago. I had to fly back home to the Netherlands because of an injury
In 2016 I was in Leon waiting to be able to walk again ( blisters,)
In 2018 I arrived in Bilbao and started on the Norte the next day
In 2019 I was on the Norte again I stayed in Casa Carmina in Muros de Nalon

It is people like you that convince me that I will carry on till 2042, when I am 88 !! ( Avatar!)
When you can, so can I.....
Bets will be accepted !!

May 11, 2019. At Miami International Airport waiting to board plane for Camino Primitivo.

Attachments

• 10651C38-2608-456C-BADD-CB08FF71DC4F.jpeg
    10651C38-2608-456C-BADD-CB08FF71DC4F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
We should start a new section titled "I am jealous because of..." and then move posts like this there!
;)
😄 Life is short & we never know what's around the corner (current situation an unimaginable prime example) so you gotta get out & do what you can, while you can! I can assure you though...it comes at a cost... 😯 😁
👣 🌏

If you were on the Camino on May 11th in any year, where were you?
Last year I walked fromSJPdP to Orisson.

View attachment 74826
May 11 over 3 Caminos.
Last year I walked VDLP and walked into Merida, in 2016 it was the Portuguese and we walked into Coimbra and finally 2015 we had just made it to Leon on the Francis.

More importantly, May 12th, 2016...my birthday, 2016 dinner with 12 friends in Sarria.
May 12th, 2018, still my birthday Coffee with 6 friends Belorado, on the Francis again.
May 12th, 2019, Yahoo it's my birthday in Tui Portugal
This year supposed to celebrate in Canal de Castilla on the Madrid, instead walked up Burleigh Heads hill with my son.
Sorry May 11th is all anticipation in my calendar of life....
Love

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My newly adopted "Camino Daughter" was still suffering from blisters and a head cold so on this day we walked from Navarrete to Najera,. Of course we then had to wait for the albergue to open at around 13.00. Before heading out for lunch (after a shower and clothes washing). Brings back such memories! Thanks

More importantly, May 12th, 2016...my birthday, 2016 dinner with 12 friends in Sarria.
May 12th, 2018, still my birthday Coffee with 6 friends Belorado, on the Francis again.
This year supposed to celebrate in Canal de Castilla on the Madrid, instead walked up Burleigh Heads hill with my son.
Love

Happy birthday for yesterday. Sorry I missed this posting. Cheers

Love
You need the May 12th thread. 😊
Happy birthday! 🎂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On May 11, 2019 from Portugalete to Pobena but no photos! Sometimes the camera stays put. However, on May 12 to Castro Urdiales along a cliff top path, thanks to the guidance of locals. Beautiful! Photo from my balcony in a small pension on the esplanade in Castro Urdiales.
1589334305814.jpeg

In Burgos on the 11th 2017. Is that where the chocolate factory was/is? I couldn’t find it. 😟.

On May 11, 2019 from Portugalete to Pobena but no photos! Sometimes the camera stays put. However, on May 12 to Castro Urdiales along a cliff top path, thanks to the guidance of locals. Beautiful! Photo from my balcony in a small pension on the esplanade in Castro Urdiales.
View attachment 74923
There's a thread for May 12th too!

€60,-
Several threads that I started about dates in May have been combined into one.

When you respond, please mention the date, route you were on and where you walked (or rested) that day. Thanks!

On 11th May 2017 San Martin del Camino. It appears I didnt take any photos there - the only one I have is of the wifi password

1589354458263.png
11th May 2018 St. Andrew's Church, Shepherdswell, Kent, UK
"Topping up" my Camino Ingles in case I decided to walk from A Coruna instead of Ferrol (I didn't in the end).
It's also on the Via Francigena route to Rome.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Notes from 13/05/12 Camino Frances.

We were up, breakfasted and away by 07.30. It was a beautiful morning but the walking was for the most part along the main road so it was a bit noisy. We were to stop for second breakfast at a lovely town called Hospital de Orbigo but before we knew it we were out of town and no coffee fix.

ast3.jpg

We walked another 15km before the opertunity to have coffee arose again. This was in San Justa de la Vega.

20120513_1158121.jpg

We met the Brazilian girls again but one of them was limping very badly, an old knee injury had flared up. We walked with them for a while but we pulled ahead when they stopped for a rest.

20120513_133317.jpg

We got into Astorga at about 13.30 and it was hot, hot, hot. After a good bit of searching we booked into a nice enough albergue run by Brazilians.

ast4.jpg ast6.jpg

After the usual shower, change and laundry routine we went out and had a beer and a sandwich nearby.

We met Analise from Belgium as we were eating, we have met her before a few times and always while eating, and she wondered did we do any walking at all or were we just eating our way through the Camino. We also met one of the Brazilian girls again, the one who was injured, and she was very upset. She had gone to the local hospital where an x-ray of her leg showed a fairly serious injury.

Her friend had decided to keep going to Santiago but she was getting an evening train to Barcelona where she would wait for her friend to finish the Camino then fly home. She was very sad.

We were back in the albergue by 21.30 and we packed and got ready for the morning. We plan another 20 - 27kms tomorrow.

@Josefus, you hit the jackpot. I have been through Ponte Maceira three or four times and never found the restaurant open. It surely has to be one of the most beautiful villages in Spain, and I imagine that sitting on their outdoor terrace was just wonderful.
I agree that Ponte Maceira is beautiful. It was a nice surprise to me. And also its name: "Bridge near the apple tree".

Yes, a marvellous place.
I passed there three times and two times I had my lunch there.
Probably you‘re a quick walker, too quick für this restaurant. If I recall correctly it opens at noon. Last time I arrived 15 min to early and had to wait a little.

Yes I loved that place and room in 2017. Did she make bbq chicken?
I don't remember what the main entree was, but I don't think it was bbq chicken. That's one of my favorites, so I'm sure I would remember that.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back