• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino, on this date in May...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
29/05/12. Day 40. Finistera - Muxia. 30Km

Bad headache this morning, a mixture of yesterdays sun and last nights wine, although the sun might be innocent in this case. We were on the road out of Finistera at 08.00 and on the way to Lires, fifteen km away. We had breakfast at a local café just before we left.

Mixed walking today, some on roads and more through woodland. We lost the arrows at one point but a local woman pointed us in the right direction.

We met a woman we knew slightly coming against us on the trail in the woods, she was so pleased to see us she hugged us both, I think she may have been worried about being lost and we were a welcome sight.

When we arrived at Lires it was still before noon and even though it was sunny it was very cold, not really suitable to visit the beach there.

lires.jpg

We had lunch in the albergue/café but held off on checking in. After a lunchtime powwow we decided to press on to Muxia. This turned out to be a good decision as we found out later that there were only two buses from Muxia to Santiago, one at 06.45 and the last one at 14.30. This would have given us very little time to explore Muxia if we were walking from Lires the next day.

img_0254.jpg

Muxia.

When we arrived in Muxia we walked through the town then stopped and had a great lunch at a new hotel. We then walked to the albergue to collect our Muxia Compostela. The albergue was full but we weren’t going to stay there anyway.

We walked back to the hotel where we had lunch, and booked in there, €50.00 for a big double room with a huge balcony and lounger chairs. As it was too cold to lounge out there so we hung the washing on the chairs instead. Nel and a friend of hers booked in here as well.

We had a funny incident in the room where we were staying. Iggy was in the bathroom having his shower and shave, I was lying on my bed writing up my notes for the day when I heard him say stop it, I didn’t pay much heed, after another minute I heard him say sod off, again I didn’t pay much heed. When he came out a few minutes later he asked if I had come into the bathroom while he was shaving, I assured him I had not, then he told me that after he came out of the shower and was drying off someone smacked him on the butt, that was the stop, a short while later it happened again, that was the sod off. I had a good laugh about this until we found out later that the hotel was built on the site of a local woman’s house, Lolo, who was supposed to be a great character in the area, they even named the hotel after her. That’s my brother, he can charm old Texans and ghosts.

Nel, her German friend, who was a really nice guy and a great laugh, and ourselves had a lovely meal out in the port area that night, no pilgrim meal this time, we pushed the boat out, pardon the pun, as it was our last night on the Camino, we are officially finished tomorrow. Nell is heading for Finistera in the morning, she is walking the reverse of our route. Full of good food and wine we fell fast asleep without giving Lolo another thought.

20120530_104902.jpg

I could not have wished myself a better walking companion.
And I can say the very same thing!
This last day of the Via de Bayona was a treat - a long stretch of Roman road, and so many wildflowers.
20190529_082521.jpg20190529_074706.jpg20190529_090935.jpg

Lunch in Burgos - bittersweet celebration of our successful walk with fantastic pizza! And then for me there was the task of saying farewell to Sabine, and continuing on to Rabe on the Frances. It made for a slightly long day, but walking in the afternoon when the crowd was thin lessened the shock of merging onto the superhighway.
20190529_133200.jpg 20190529_170018.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
30/05/12. Day 41. Muxia. Last Day.

We had a really lovely breakfast in the hotel this morning and afterwards we walked to the Little church of the Virgin of the Boat outside the town at a beautiful headland.

20120530_101910.jpg 20120530_102655.jpg

Santuario da Virxe da Barca.

The day is just beautiful and a great day to finish our Camino. I could stay walking, it’s a simple life, but I miss Jane, the boys and the grand-kids so its time to call a halt and head home. We spent some time at the headland on our own enjoying the moment and thinking our own thoughts.

20120530_102638.jpg 20120530_102822.jpg 20120530_105240.jpg

We checked out of our hotel, said goodbye to Lolo :) then headed to the port area and had a lovely lunch. The bus that takes us back to Santiago leaves from here.

After Santiago we take a train to Alicante to spend a few days R&R with our brother who lives near there. Jane will meet us there as well.

What a fantastic adventure this was. Thanks to Iggy who put the gun to my head back in February to do this Camino, otherwise I might be still talking about it. We talked a lot on the journey, we became famous for it, we missed turn off's and arrows because of it, people said to us you are the two Irish guys who are always talking, we heard about you along the way.
It was great. Can’t wait to do it again.

camino2.jpg

Buen Camino.

The night of May 27, 2019 while I was in San Nicolás del Real Camino I learned that a friend from home was serving as hospitalera at the municipal albergue in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos - which was the alternative route on my next day's walk! I hadn't planned on going that way, but quickly changed my mind. I loved the little albergue there. Since there were only two other peregrinas and me, we each had a "room" to ourselves, and it was so great to see my friend!
20190529_142251_copy_1008x756.jpg

The next morning I got an early start since it was heating up, and I had a long walk before there was anywhere to stop for breakfast.
20190530_175937_copy_1008x756_1.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May 31st 2015 - we arrived in Santiago from the Ruta Do Mar (Ribadeo to Ferrol) and the Camino Ingles, our last time into Santiago. Followed by the English Mass on the 1st June and evening prayer. Met @natefaith and @JohnnieWalker and next day @ivar . Happy memories.
Photos: the chapel where the English Mass and evening prayer were held.
Hams in the cafe where we had lunch

chapel.jpg hams.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you were on the Camino on this date in May in a previous year, where were you? I arrived in St Jean Pied de Port on May 10th last year for my fourth Camino, which would take me along the Francés to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then I walked to Avilés to connect to the Norte. After reaching Santiago I continued on to Finisterre.

Several threads that I started about dates in May have been combined into one.

When you respond, please mention the date, route you were on and where you walked (or rested) that day. Thanks!

I was one day ahead of you, started on May 9th. On 10th I started from Roncesvalles and finished in Urdaniz, aprox 150m off Camino trail in a very nice private albergue. It rained in the morning, but second part of the day was dry and beautiful.

If you were on the Camino on this date in May in a previous year, where were you? I arrived in St Jean Pied de Port on May 10th last year for my fourth Camino, which would take me along the Francés to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then I walked to Avilés to connect to the Norte. After reaching Santiago I continued on to Finisterre.

When you respond, please mention the date, route you were on and where you walked (or rested) that day. Thanks!

View attachment 74801View attachment 74802

Attachments

• 7014D3DB-F7A7-4A87-9E45-682D1DBAA2A3.jpeg
    7014D3DB-F7A7-4A87-9E45-682D1DBAA2A3.jpeg
    720.2 KB · Views: 17
  • CFBE3FD8-6040-4F04-97C5-F7BAAC9BC44D.jpeg
    CFBE3FD8-6040-4F04-97C5-F7BAAC9BC44D.jpeg
    703.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 30F8D41D-7F2D-42E9-A7F0-E454F92D92BE.jpeg
    30F8D41D-7F2D-42E9-A7F0-E454F92D92BE.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 11E3E9FC-78B1-4A1E-B0D2-577D720FDFF3.jpeg
    11E3E9FC-78B1-4A1E-B0D2-577D720FDFF3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
11thof mayb! Merci birthday at La casa del Pescador in Ambasmestas ! I met a Belgian twin lady for breakfast ! I had a few ( twisted candles!)on the bottom of my bag! Irina the Russian owner of the Albergue will h her big smile baked lovely blinis for us !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
1 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 5 Puente la Reina > Estella. After walking through Mañeru the path was then along the gently rolling path between grapevines and olive trees to reach the beautiful hilltop village of Cirauqui. The Noel Coward song “Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun” came to mind! It was hot! In the evening watched Barcelona v Liverpool on TV 3-0 - no hope for Liverpool in the 2nd game!

Attachments

• P1040470.JPG
    P1040470.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • P1040472.JPG
    P1040472.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • P1040473.JPG
    P1040473.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • P1040477.JPG
    P1040477.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On this day May 1, 2017, I climbed up from Vega de Valcarce over the hills to O Cebreiro and beyond. After so much warm weather on the meseta, it was a real surprise. The next day everything was sunny and green😆

Attachments

• BF8707AB-9E7C-458F-9412-6E010B701663.jpeg
    BF8707AB-9E7C-458F-9412-6E010B701663.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • A46FFA64-A567-43AC-AA9C-562E59819C8A.jpeg
    A46FFA64-A567-43AC-AA9C-562E59819C8A.jpeg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DC2E1CC0-6B82-4279-AA31-FEE88C86A04E.jpeg
    DC2E1CC0-6B82-4279-AA31-FEE88C86A04E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry,
- changed it,
see if it works now.....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
2 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 6 Estella > Los Arcos. Well obviously I couldn't pass the Fuente del Vino, it would have been rude to decline their hospitality although I only filled my scallop shell so I only had a sip. I took, as most did, the route via Monjardin which was slightly undulating through a pine forest. There were some cliffs a fair way off to the right with cloud formations above. Some of the pilgrims were shouting and trying to get an echo, they failed. A day when I met a few pilgrims that I would spend many happy hours with over the following days including "Andy from Leeds" and "Michael from Germany".

Attachments

• P1040486.JPG
    P1040486.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • P1040487.JPG
    P1040487.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 7 Los Arcos > Logroňo. I was really getting used to the early morning starts with 18 miles to go today. I had been fortunate with the weather so far, the weather forecast was 70% rain last night but only 20% this morning. Within 10 minutes it was 100%! Grapevines and olive trees beside the track. It is surprising how the locals and the churches allow yellow arrow signs to be painted on their buildings. I had been looking forward to meeting Mari seated under a fig tree, a lovely lady. RIP

Attachments

• P1040497.JPG
    P1040497.JPG
    646.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P1040498.JPG
    P1040498.JPG
    1,023 KB · Views: 7
  • P1040509.JPG
    P1040509.JPG
Last edited:

€83,-
May 4, 2015 on The Camino Frances.

It's very foggy here in Brisbane this morning. It was also very foggy and wet on this morning 6 years ago when I realised I was lost, having taken the wrong track up the mountain to O'Cebriero. My only walking companions were these cattle and their handlers (who spoke no English). I laughed at my predicament and just kept on walking and eventually reached my destination, having taken a very big detour. What a great day!
😄
🚶

1620085386343.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
4 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 8 Logroňo > Nájera. I went into the Iglesia de la Asunción Church in Navarrete, it was really impressive. You were able to stamp your passport, I had the stamp upside down and stamped my hand, I must have done something bad! I was surprised to find a mobile café in the middle of nowhere just before Ventosa where, for the first time, I met 3 pilgrims that I was able to enjoy their company for the rest of the walk when we met on almost a daily basis. If you happen to read this, thank you for your company, you made my Camino. After a small rocky climb to Alto de San Antón I could see the snow-capped peak of (I think) Peña Prieta.

Attachments

• P1040518.JPG
    P1040518.JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P1040520.JPG
    P1040520.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • P1040522.JPG
    P1040522.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Such a cold wind when we waited for the Albergue to open, and sitting in the warm sun cheered us all up...

1620159122175.png

The youthful liveliness made me suggest and arrange a qeueing and chatter started up as the sun came.
I made a small album:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Such a cold wind when we waited for the Albergue to open, siiting in the warm sun cheered us all up...

View attachment 99415

The youthful liveliness made me suggest and arrange a qeueing and chatter started up as the sun came.
I made a small album:

I saw your pictures. On all of my caminos I don't ever recall being in a queue waiting...but I walk slow.

Putting my foot in the miraculous footprint of Santa Mariña de Augas, with hopes (sadly not realised) of curing all foot pain - near Allariz, Ourense, 5 May 2017. As google translates the legend:

"Tradition is born linked to the existence and martyrdom of Mariña who resists the wishes of a prefect in the City of Armea, named Olibrio, who used all kinds of strategies to defeat her resistance, including chain, judgment and punishment. But nothing worked before the iron will of the girl, neither the whip, nor the devil in the form of a dragon... Condemned to die burned in a nearby oven, she will come out alive thanks to St. Peter who left her next to a pond."

IMG_6718.jpeg

Last edited:
5 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 9 Nájera > Santo Domingo de la Calzada. I felt really good today as I ambled along knowing that it was an easy day. An early arrival with an entertaining meal with six other pilgrims outside in the sun at the Titanic Bar.

Attachments

• P1040527.JPG
    P1040527.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • P1040531.JPG
    P1040531.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • P1040539.JPG
    P1040539.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:

€83,-
Monday 6 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 10 Santo Domingo de la Calzada > Belorado. I met a guy from London who had been walking around Europe for 4 years and he was now on his way to walk back to Calais. We chatted for about 20 minutes about many things including (sorry to mention it) Brexit. He started the walk at 17 stone and was now about 13! Had a really good pilgrims meal in the evening, the waitress kept filling my glass with red wine – it would have been rude to stop her!

Attachments

• P1040544.JPG
    P1040544.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • P1040549.JPG
    P1040549.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
7 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 11 Belorado > Atapuerca. A long day for me so I had set off at a good pace that was made easier as it was a bit chilly passing the Hermitage of the Virgin of the Rock and the Ruins of the monastery of San Felices Apse. Stopping off at a truck-stop café in Villafranca Montes de Oca for my daily tortilla de patatas! A further brief stop at the Memorial for the Republicans executed in the civil war “It was not their deaths, but the manner of their deaths that was senseless. May they rest in peace”. In the evening I ate at the Hotel Papasol in Atapuerca with an American couple, we would meet frequently over the next few days until they took a rest day.

Attachments

• P1040552.JPG
    P1040552.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • P1040555.JPG
    P1040555.JPG
    743.8 KB · Views: 5
  • P1040557.JPG
    P1040557.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • P1040563.JPG
    P1040563.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
May 7th--spring walking is good for me

2005 Burgos:

by bus from Santo Domingo Calzada with injured hiking companion. Stayed at now closed El Parral Municipal (crowded 100 beds, 8 showers, 8 toilets) in the park exiting Burgos. Nice dinner in the nearby University with American exchange students.

2006 St Privat:

first stop on LePuy route. Hosts had met on prior Camino, left Paris, got married, bought a gite. Great communal meal. email home “Since the gîte was a new one, they asked pilgrims to pay whatever they wanted. Since it was our first night as pilgrims, we did not have a clue, so we left 60_ for two for the room, dinner, and pdj. It was about right experience would show. Demi-pensions (room, dinner, and breakfast) were generally in the 24-28_ range.”

2007 Los Arcos:

email home: “Still poking along at 20 km per day and enjoying the cafes and rolling hills and vineyards. Knee doesn’t like downhills which is a new and annoying experience that may be fixed by some Vitamin I--they sell here in 600 and 900mg doses. Lots of English speaking so far, and there isn’t a bed race yet. last night in Los Arcos was only 80%full--but the warden, a long time American expat, said that the night before they had to turn away 18 pilgrims. So, looks like we are riding a great wave for now.”

2013 Gite d’etape Trigodina:

on LePuy route; my longest and favorite camino at 70 days from LePuy to Santiago; completely magical the whole way.

8 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 12 Atapuerca > Burgos. The stony path onto the Matagrande Plain led to the wooden cross at the top where the very heavy rain was stinging my face. After descending it was then a very long straight road through the industrial area. Because of the weather I decided to take the direct route rather than the alternative although by the time I reached Burgos the rain has stopped. The truth is I missed the place where I should have turned off with "my head to the wind/rain"! Having received a message from my sister "good result last night" I Googled the Liverpool score to find that they had beaten Barcelona 4-0! A poor day changed into a good afternoon when I bumped into “Michael from Germany” in the Plaza de Santa María. “Andy from Leeds” arrived so the three of us sat down in the sun and had a "couple" of beers. A young lad, Sam from Liverpool, who had been sitting reading his bible chatted with us, not about religion but football! An impressive young lad/man.

Attachments

• P1040572.JPG
    P1040572.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
at our farmhouse

May 8, 2016

May 8, 2016.jpg

May 8 in France is a national holiday
Victory day/ jour de Victoire
commemorating the end of WW2,
May 8, 1945, in Europe; throughout France each village holds a brief ceremony.

One pilgrim who had stayed at our pilgrim place attended the ceremony in 2016.

...May we all continue to remember

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
9 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 13 Burgos > Hornillos del Camino. I returned to the cathedral to take some more photos and then found the Camino route out of Burgos more by luck than judgement. Today was the first day on the Meseta apparently it can be very hot in the summer - it transpired it can also be very hot in May! I didn't record too much today apart from stops to eat and drink! In the evening I ate with a couple from America and another couple from Hungerford who had just started their walk having walked the first part before

Attachments

• P1040573.JPG
    P1040573.JPG
  • P1040576.JPG
    P1040576.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Eurasian Griffon Vulture.jpg
    Eurasian Griffon Vulture.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 7

On May 11th 2011 , I walked into Santiago having started in SJPdP 32 days earlier. Start of my love affair with the camino
27 caminos later i am still planning and now aged 73 years young not slowing down
please remember the many pilgrims who died of COVID 19 in past 15 months

i lost 3 dear pilgrim friends to COVID May they rest in Peace

10 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 14 Hornillos del Camino > Castrojeriz. Just after setting off, it threw it down with rain for an hour whilst I was ascending back up to the Meseta! A bit later the path was the worst of the whole walk. The track was red sticky mud that had to be cleared off the soles of my walking shoes very frequently. Will I never learn, entering Hontanas I decided not to stop at the first bar, a minute later I had walked through the hamlet and not found another one. On the way out of Hontanas there was a sign showing 248 miles to Santiago, they must have transposed the figures as there were about 284 miles to go. Passing San Antón I continued and a little while later I reached Castrojeriz my stop for the night. A very good evening sitting with 10 others outside a bar El Meson sampling the beverages.

Attachments

• P1040585.JPG
    P1040585.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • P1040587.JPG
    P1040587.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • P1040589.JPG
    P1040589.JPG
  • P1040594.JPG
    P1040594.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
11 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 15 Hornillos del Camino > Frómista. As I set off the path could be seen ascending to the table mountain of Alto de Mostelares. Just after Ermita of San Nicolás I came to the eleven arched Puente de Itero over the Pisuerga River. The church at Boadilla del Camino had numerous storks nesting on the roof, one of the nests must have been at least three feet tall. It was then quite a long walk on the canal towpath and hard on my feet in my walking shoes that were disintegrating more by the day. I then took a walk around the outside of the church at Frómista where "Andy from Leeds", who was sitting outside a bar, spotted me and called me across for a beer(s!) (I seem to have mentioned these excursions before!).

Attachments

• P1040595.JPG
    P1040595.JPG
  • P1040599.JPG
    P1040599.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • P1040605.JPG
    P1040605.JPG
  • P1040609.JPG
    P1040609.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

€149,-
12 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 16 Frómista > Carrión de los Condes. An easy flat walk today continuing along the Meseta. At Población de Campos I took a slightly longer quieter route between fields rather than along the road. Just after Villovieco an old guy driving along the track stopped and said: “Buen Camino” and he handed me a cake and drove on. Did he know it was my birthday or was it just a Sunday treat for passing pilgrims? I met up with "Andy from Leeds" in the evening we sat in the plaza for a drink (again). Later I met 3 other good pilgrim friends who sang happy birthday to me in the middle of the street. What a good way to spend a birthday. (If anyone thinks I shouldn't be posting every day about my walk then just send a private message - I won't be offended).

Attachments

• P1040619.JPG
    P1040619.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
13 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 17 Carrión de los Condes > Calzadilla de la Cueza. I was happy with the late start as this was going to be one of my shortest days. Off to the left at some distance were mountain peaks with snow still on them. It was a long straight road that turned into a long straight track with hardly any shade. A pleasant surprise came at the sight of a mobile café after about 1½ hours where I stopped and chatted with fellow pilgrims. For anyone walking alone, after a few days, you will meet up with people you have seen before and it is quite normal for them to call you over or for you to just go and chat and sit with them. Calzadilla de la Cueza was one of the highlights of my walk despite being one of the smallest villages. I sat outside my accommodation with a beer looking over the wheat fields that were shimmering in the slight breeze, it was so quiet, a clear blue sky - perfect!

Attachments

• P1040621.JPG
    P1040621.JPG
  • P1040623.JPG
    P1040623.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • P1040624.JPG
    P1040624.JPG
Between Astorga and Rabanal, before Santa Catalina de Somosa. Same year as the young woman was missing and I must admit I was a bit on watch, looking into ditches and so on.

Attachments

• 79A5AE5D-33BF-4549-819F-B125CF7D2BAF.jpeg
    79A5AE5D-33BF-4549-819F-B125CF7D2BAF.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2CE9C7E8-6098-42F2-A774-83AFB9838185.jpeg
    2CE9C7E8-6098-42F2-A774-83AFB9838185.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 10
13.05.13 Estaing on GR 65.

Attachments

• A34AA2F9-EFEB-4F1F-95EE-A25B4398C356.jpeg
    A34AA2F9-EFEB-4F1F-95EE-A25B4398C356.jpeg
    831.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2B03435F-0A84-494B-BB24-8D9297673178.jpeg
    2B03435F-0A84-494B-BB24-8D9297673178.jpeg
    801.4 KB · Views: 10

€83,-
Just after Villovieco an old guy driving along the track stopped and said: “Buen Camino” and he handed me a cake and drove on. Did he know it was my birthday or was it just a Sunday treat for passing pilgrims?
I had a group of Korean pilgrim friends behind me after leaving Pamplona. One offered me a piece of wrappedhard candy. I told him how perfect as it was my first "gift" on my birthday. They then proceeded to sing me "Happy Birthday" loudly as we walked on..I loved their friendliness!

€149,-
14 May 2019 Camino Francés - Day 18 Calzadilla de la Cueza > Sahagún. At Ledigos I took the option of going a short way along a minor road to then turn off by a dovecote to follow a track between the fields. It was a very hot day; not a cloud in the sky and little wind. I had seen some cave-like entrances as I approached Moratinos, they were “bodegas” used in the past to store food and for winemaking. On arriving in Sahagún I found a bar near the Arco San Benito where I sat in the sun to write up my notes of the day. Another good day, chatting with many "old" friends along the way.

Attachments

• P1040626.JPG
    P1040626.JPG
  • P1040634.JPG
    P1040634.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • P1040637.JPG
    P1040637.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • P1040640.JPG
    P1040640.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
15.05.13 From Espeyrac to Conques in pouring rain.

Attachments

• BF044B05-20A4-4E2C-AFF1-A382E64A27D7.jpeg
    BF044B05-20A4-4E2C-AFF1-A382E64A27D7.jpeg
    778.6 KB · Views: 14
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Attachments

• 48F3C5DD-6F84-44B0-A49C-9A4E29A19090.jpeg
    48F3C5DD-6F84-44B0-A49C-9A4E29A19090.jpeg
    867 KB · Views: 13
  • 078162C6-52B0-4AA0-AAD7-2BD98291F0CD.jpeg
    078162C6-52B0-4AA0-AAD7-2BD98291F0CD.jpeg
    779 KB · Views: 14
ranthr,
Despite the rain I trust that Conques was a very memorable stop for you.
Actually Conques was a bit of a touristshock to me on my first visit on the way from Le Puy to Santiago in 2009. Crowded with touristbuses and people I really wanted to get away as soon as possible. On my next visit in 2013 I knew what to come. There were more pilgrims on the route too, so meeting the real touristworld was not as surprizing.

Actually Conques was a bit of a touristshock to me on my first visit on the way from Le Puy to Santiago in 2009. Crowded with touristbuses and people I really wanted to get away as soon as possible. On my next visit in 2013 I knew what to come. There were more pilgrims on the route too, so meeting the real touristworld was not as surprizing.
Toujours le même problème.
My last visit was in winter 2012 ; bitter cold but tourist free.

16.05. 18 Started out on Camino de Invierno from Ponferrada in nice weather.

Attachments

• 31D5A9C8-96C6-40C3-B430-2A7D9E685287.jpeg
    31D5A9C8-96C6-40C3-B430-2A7D9E685287.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 40A9AC74-8531-4E17-9A42-2C472048342E.jpeg
    40A9AC74-8531-4E17-9A42-2C472048342E.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 4
  • EE77A12C-8D40-48A4-B5AD-C0506973D83B.jpeg
    EE77A12C-8D40-48A4-B5AD-C0506973D83B.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 7CE58FB7-E359-4D6C-B27B-AA38DF2C876B.jpeg
    7CE58FB7-E359-4D6C-B27B-AA38DF2C876B.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 6
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
17.05.18 Camino de Invierno from Borrenes to Santo Domingo de Florez.

Attachments

• DAA92116-7D22-4E49-BB6B-EA7F7ECD690C.jpeg
    DAA92116-7D22-4E49-BB6B-EA7F7ECD690C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 19A3FC2D-900C-443D-B99C-B7CEAD1BD996.jpeg
    19A3FC2D-900C-443D-B99C-B7CEAD1BD996.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
  • CB7DE833-D6E9-48BA-AB44-44EC54E7340D.jpeg
    CB7DE833-D6E9-48BA-AB44-44EC54E7340D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3 years ago today, the beginning of a weird experience - driving the camino, the wrong way, (on the other side of the road). Catapulted in time.
IMG_6598 2.jpeg O Cebreiro
IMG_6602 2.JPG IMG_6603.JPG Laying a stone for the deceased friend who was to accompany on my camino in acouple of weeks time.
IMG_6614.jpeg End the day at Maison El Cid.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
18.05.18 on the Invierno on the way to O´Barco de Valldeorras.

Attachments

• D0152A4B-1B65-4A5E-995E-6650AD59ECD7.jpeg
    D0152A4B-1B65-4A5E-995E-6650AD59ECD7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • F423F8FF-B519-46CB-B758-79C18579D59B.jpeg
    F423F8FF-B519-46CB-B758-79C18579D59B.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 6D458567-C370-44D1-AA5E-0E4291B75F6E.jpeg
    6D458567-C370-44D1-AA5E-0E4291B75F6E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • EB894F85-0ADA-4799-8B3E-ACEB0A5ABEBB.jpeg
    EB894F85-0ADA-4799-8B3E-ACEB0A5ABEBB.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5

Attachments

• EE33158B-1B80-4101-A68F-904E464E61AE.jpeg
    EE33158B-1B80-4101-A68F-904E464E61AE.jpeg
    778.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 09460416-9A6A-4E09-92CC-744D692FFCE3.jpeg
    09460416-9A6A-4E09-92CC-744D692FFCE3.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DA9D2960-6E17-47E5-8ED1-BED4346762C3.jpeg
    DA9D2960-6E17-47E5-8ED1-BED4346762C3.jpeg
    793.3 KB · Views: 3
Oooh, I'm a day late! I started two caminos on May 17, both with friends from the Forum, both very special indeed.

On the 17th four of us had met up in Hendaye and walked as far as St Jean de Luz, then taking a local bus to Bayonne to meet up with the fifth of The Baztan 5. It was a lovely walk along the coast. Then the 18th dawned to rain, and we did what pilgrims do.
This was the only photo I have from that day, crossing the Nive in Bayonne, heading out in the morning. But I have vivid memories of our very wet walk to Esplette, where we took refuge in the relatively flash Hotel Euzkadi. We were wet rats, and it was such bliss to dry out!
IMG_4141 (2).JPG

Day two of the Vasco, we left our trendy rather industrial digs to head upvalley to Tolosa in the rain; people in the towns we passed through were so pilgrim-friendly! A first for me was this outdoor moving sidewalk, a source of some pilgrim hilarity, as was the pedestrian tunnel for hobbits as we ran through against the light (it was pouring and who wants to wait with water running down one's neck for cars that never come?).
And though the camino roughly followed the main rail line into San Sebastien from the South, it had more than its share of quietness.

20190518_115701 - Copy.jpg 20190518_110550 (2).jpg IMG_0975 - Copy.JPG 20190518_134826 - Copy.jpg

My wife ad I drove down from Burgos to Segovia and made a detour to the Valley of the Fallen in the Sierra Guadarrama. A very sombre experience. There were few people around. We were strictly forbidden to take photos inside, if we had been so inclined.
Someone had placed flowers on Franco's tomb.
IMG_6659.jpeg
In Segovia we stayed at the hostel I had found on my 2014 Camino de Madrid. A very welcoming establishment right in the city centre run by an enthusiastic young couple. I hope it has survived.
Hostal in Segovia (2).jpeg

Oooh, I'm a day late! I started two caminos on May 17, both with friends from the Forum, both very special indeed.

On the 17th four of us had met up in Hendaye and walked as far as St Jean de Luz, then taking a local bus to Bayonne to meet up with the fifth of The Baztan 5. It was a lovely walk along the coast. Then the 18th dawned to rain, and we did what pilgrims do.
This was the only photo I have from that day, crossing the Nive in Bayonne, heading out in the morning. But I have vivid memories of our very wet walk to Esplette, where we took refuge in the relatively flash Hotel Euzkadi. We were wet rats, and it was such bliss to dry out!
View attachment 100480

Day two of the Vasco, we left our trendy rather industrial digs to head upvalley to Tolosa in the rain; people in the towns we passed through were so pilgrim-friendly! A first for me was this outdoor moving sidewalk, a source of some pilgrim hilarity, as was the pedestrian tunnel for hobbits as we ran through against the light (it was pouring and who wants to wait with water running down one's neck for cars that never come?).
And though the camino roughly followed the main rail line into San Sebastien from the South, it had more than its share of quietness.

View attachment 100475 View attachment 100476 View attachment 100477 View attachment 100478
VN,
You have great shots of good memories; nothing is like the rain in Spain!

May 19, 2018 @ 1 PM -- Three Years Ago

When I arrived at my hostal in Lourdes, France, to rendezvous with an Amawalkers group walking west from Lourdes to the Somport Pass, and then south on the Camino Aragones, the "lobby" was full of folks watching the marriage of Prince Harry and Ms. Markle. (Which amused me -- but I didn't care, and didn't join them....)

1621450647322.png

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
20.05.13 Moved from GR65 to Camino de Norte. walked from Irun to San Sebastian. My intention was to take the upper route over the mountain, but took the wrong path and ended up,on the lower route.

Attachments

• 77267FEE-57E8-4EF6-AA8F-83DCF7BAF18B.jpeg
    77267FEE-57E8-4EF6-AA8F-83DCF7BAF18B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 308D97E5-7668-487A-93BA-5C6A5E7B04AB.jpeg
    308D97E5-7668-487A-93BA-5C6A5E7B04AB.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 3
  • FD58E3B4-98AF-41B7-AE95-0728A611B1EC.jpeg
    FD58E3B4-98AF-41B7-AE95-0728A611B1EC.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 5ABC0F9C-B4B9-40F4-AEED-46DFD85C27F4.jpeg
    5ABC0F9C-B4B9-40F4-AEED-46DFD85C27F4.jpeg
    799.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 82A2B527-39C7-486D-A8A6-9D70FA07415E.jpeg
    82A2B527-39C7-486D-A8A6-9D70FA07415E.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 2
20.05.18. Sunday in A Rua on Camino de Invierno. Had a rest day here after walking to Montefurado and back with train to A Rua. Pulpos on every bar on a Sunday. Nice walk in the restarea along the river .

Attachments

• 70176CE2-D064-433C-8F20-3B1A2C5E4D3E.jpeg
    70176CE2-D064-433C-8F20-3B1A2C5E4D3E.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 5D913044-0E19-43F0-AAC8-BF59F4C5A42D.jpeg
    5D913044-0E19-43F0-AAC8-BF59F4C5A42D.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
via de la Plata.
You mean the Invierno, yes?

2019: Vasco, Beasain-Zegama
Today, leaving the built-up part of the valley, and ending the day in lovely pension next to the church.
There is a viewing platform above the Zegama, where we could see the way ahead. I would be lying if I said I was not a wee bit nervous about the next day!
20190520_100042.jpg 20190520_100417.jpg 20190520_101956.jpg 20190520_102817 - Copy.jpg 20190520_110302_001.jpg 20190520_122838.jpg 20190520_171809.jpg

2017 Baztanes, Amaya-Berroeta
The symmetry here is a little spooky. Also an idyllic day, through Elizondo, and ending at the wonderful albergue in Berroeta, with the way over the top looming on the morrow.
IMG_4192.JPG20170520_145650.jpgIMG_4208.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rabanal del Camino:

1621496717512.png

Julian Campo (Cherlan)

in my diary: Reached Rabenal at 1200 hrs. A sudden icy spell of rain made the long row of 200 pilgrims don their rain gear in muted unison as if by command.
Tongues were loosened inside the café when hot coffee and tea was being served ..........

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
21.05.18 Between Montefurado and Soldón on Camino de Invierno.

Attachments

• 98822394-EEA6-451A-86F0-F079AE8F3280.jpeg
    98822394-EEA6-451A-86F0-F079AE8F3280.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 8425C866-9B9F-4B73-AA48-DF435888E8C4.jpeg
    8425C866-9B9F-4B73-AA48-DF435888E8C4.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 3

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back