• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Albergue that you’d recommend

Zordmot

3rd CF in May 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2022
Hello everyone,

Has this happened to you:

You’re walking a complete day, you don’t have a reservation which is ok, you arrive in the town and are faced with an array of albergues, you’re grateful there are options-sometimes you’re lucky to just get a bed but not tonight, so you pick one, spend the night, and overall you’d say it was an average experience. I think most people have been there, done that.

The next day you find yourself in conversation as you walk. The other person says “Last night I had the BEST albergue experience ever” and goes into detail about it.

As I prepare for my third Camino I will definitely use the “Favorite Albergues” pdf available for download here as I did for my 2nd Camino. It made a huge difference.

But I wonder if YOU have had one of those “best albergue experiences” that you’d share. Could you share the albergue and why it was so great?

Looking forward to your response as I make my plans! Thanks and buen caminos.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bercianos del Real Camino, A Reboleira in Fonfría... that is in the Francés only

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Casa Susi in Trabadelo......between Villafrance del Biezo and Las Herrerias.....superb ! Wonderful couple, 12 beds (not bunks), veggie family style meal, on banks of river.....idyllic!!

For me on the Camino de la Costa this is the Albergue La Cabaña del Abuelo Peuto in Güemes of Ernesto

An obvious choice here for you: Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo. Amazing vegan food and hippy farm vibe, with free yoga! (Not to be confused with one Casa Verde...)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Francès :
Albergue Villares de Orbigo.
Changing owers at the moment but both ladies are true hospitaleras!

Fixed price for the bed. Donativo for the superb food.

On the Portuguès :
Acogida at Pedra Furada with wonderful owner Antonio Martins who also owns the restaurant/ bar next door.

On the Camino Vasco Interior.
The albergue in Beasain.
Every two weeks new volunteers.

All three are an example of true hospitality and generosity.

Of course, it all depends on what ticks your boxes, and who your roommates are, but the no-electric albergue in the ruins of San Anton, just before Castrojeriz creates memorable experiences. It's a beautiful spot and, on my visit, very welcoming hospitaleras. Warning: cold showers only!
I know you said "just one favourite", but I'd like to make mention of La Perla Negra, not long before Villamajor monjardin. Proper beds (no bunks), well partitioned dorm into spaces of three or four beds, warmest of ambience and copious veggie food. Ok, there's only one shower and there are plenty stairs, but I loved it there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Only CF:
Grañon: San Juan Bautista
Most memorable moments, lovely hosts, Donativo, communal meal

There are so many great albergues, so helpful hospitaleros, almost impossible to remember all the lovely experiences I had on my Camino.

Caution.
On my first camino, I stayed at a little, local municipal. Simple, clean, plastic covered mats on wooden bunk beds, Shared a relatively crude bathroom, etc. Very friendly local hospitaleros. Hey, it provided everything I needed.
The next Camino, same town, the same municipal was available, but I had read lots of nice reviews of this other albergue in town. Bigger, more services, a bit crowded since LOTS of people had also read the reviews and were using it. I bought my bed, laid my stuff down, tried to read in the common room but there were too many people walking around.
I wandered over to the municipal I had stayed in two year earlier. It was relatively empty, I said hello to the hospitalero and showed them photos I had from my previous stay there, we had a wonderful talk.
I returned to the albergue where my stuff was. I looked around. The bunk was no more comfortable, the room was noisy (a group of energetic young people were having a hilarious time!), smell of cigarette smoke in the couch.
I gathered my stuff, let them keep my 6 euro (I waited for the hospitalero to show up where I had checked in but eventually gave up), walked up to the other albergue, paid another 6 euro, and had a peaceful, less crowded, fewer snorers, more me-time-in-the-bathroom, appreciated, time that night.
My point is to be aware that recommendations can be a double-edged sword.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have 3:
1.Albergue A Reboleira in Fonfria. Huge communal meal cooked by our hostess, who also danced for us. Absolutely amazing place.
2. Albergue Orion in Castrojeriz. Beautiful peaceful courtyard, communal Korean dinner, friendly staff and cat
3. Casa Rural Las Aguedas in Murias de Rechivaldo. Tranquil spanish courtyard, with grapevines growing on trellises overhead, amazing vegetarian communal dinner, stunning view over fields towards the mountains. So friendly and relaxing.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

You’re walking a complete day, you don’t have a reservation which is ok, you arrive in the town and are faced with an array of albergues, you’re grateful there are options-sometimes you’re lucky to just get a bed but not tonight, so you pick one, spend the night, and overall you’d say it was an average experience. I think most people have been there, done that.

The next day you find yourself in conversation as you walk. The other person says “Last night I had the BEST albergue experience ever” and goes into detail about it.

As I prepare for my third Camino I will definitely use the “Favorite Albergues” pdf available for download here as I did for my 2nd Camino. It made a huge difference.

But I wonder if YOU have had one of those “best albergue experiences” that you’d share. Could you share the albergue and why it was so great?

Zord, I have searched and have yet to discover the referenced .pdf "Favorite Albergues" Can you assist please? Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
An obvious choice here for you: Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo. Amazing vegan food and hippy farm vibe, with free yoga! (Not to be confused with one Casa Verde...)
To each their own. I found it creepy and culty feeling. And don't expect to see that lovely vegetarian dinner until at least 8 pm so the guru can sing his songs first and stroke his own ego.

Albergue de la Piedra stands out in Villafranca del Bierzo. Very nice owners who are peregrinos themselves. Albergue Ecologico El Beso outside of Triacastela. Lovely owners. Vegetarian food. Albergue Casa Barbedelo outside of Sarria. Clean and modern, and the pool is an absolute treat on a hot day.

And any Camino lover should make the trip to El Molino outside of Hornillos del Camino if you are a fan of The Way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are so many, not sure I can come up with one favorite. And I know that nostalgia and the presence of great companions colors all of my recollections, so my choices may be more subjective than others. I loved Auberge du Pelerin in SJPdP because the helpfulness of the hospitalero was over-the-top and the food was to die for. Views of the ancient city walls and the town were awesome too.

In Puente la Reina, Albergue Jakue stands out in my mind, partly because of the buffet (turkey leg with the best gravy ever), good facilities, overall cleanliness and the small garden area is a great place to relax in the shade.

The shared vibe you get after experiencing the walk to Roncesvalles, the history of the place and the pilgrim Mass in the chapel next door put the Albergue de peregrinos de Orreaga somewhere near the top of my list. It's just such a cool place.

La Casa Magica in Villatuerta was outstanding, both in terms of food and accommodations. I see they are under new management and it looks like they've continued to improve the place. I spoke with a contractor who was working on the building and he thought the stone flooring in the entrance could be of Roman origin. The owner doubted that, thought it probably dated to 1300. Either way, it's certainly old and very beautiful.

Recommend? Best Albergue? Oh thats a hard one.

Black Friday 2012, Logrono. The Municipal was completo. I got sent to the parroquial Albergue Santiago. Elisabet had a big smile on her face as she showed me where the mattresses were stacked and where I could lay mine. There were a couple of dozen or so waifs & strays & municipal rejects. We arranged our beds and smiled and took turns at a wet-cloth wash-down in the bathroom. Then we set to frying chicken wings & chopping garlic & stale bread for a cauldron of sopa de ajo; Lentillas hubbled and bubbled. Elisabet "borrowed" a couple of bottles of wine from the seminarians. We dined. Elisabet couldn't find the sello, so she signed our credencials with a :) and "Ten una buena vida" - "everyone has a Buen Camino, life is mas importante" she said.

By then the Confraternity were gathering in the hall. Purple robed and hooded they would carry their burden and their drums through the streets late into the night. Elisabet told us "no curfew tonight" with a wink. What she meant was you won't get much sleep tonight. We didn't. The celebrations were spectacular, grand and solemn. The supper served to the bearers was simple but washed down with good Rioja. Those mattresses on the floor were as featherbeds when we finally hit them. Later that morning Rosa and Martin served us coffee and bread and jam and eased us on our way.

So, the one Albergue I would recommend? Albergue Parroquial Santiago, c/ Barricocepo 8, Logrono; 6 April 2012. Other perfect moments are available

Followed some recommendations in "Favorite Albergues" pdf last spring. Hated every one of them. Just visited Granon to use the toilet, could never stay there. I don't care about the "vibes", if I'm not comfortable, it's a no go. Favorite albergues on the CF? La Finca outside of Fromista. Recommended by another albergue in town during a noisy festival.
Truely, to each her/his own.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I second Albergue Verde. Also one in Las Aguedas about 5km past Astorga.

Only CF:
Grañon: San Juan Bautista
Most memorable moments, lovely hosts, Donativo, communal meal

There are so many great albergues, so helpful hospitaleros, almost impossible to remember all the lovely experiences I had on my Camino.
That night in the church attic, with the communal meal, and the late night spiritual service, was indeed the highlight of my Camino. There were many other great albergues, but this one was the one that touched my heart the most.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Others have said, and I agree:
San Anton
Grañon
La Faba
Casa Magica

Also right up there for me are:
San Nicholas, near Itero de la Vega - run by the Italian co-fraternity.
Gualcelmo in Rabinal
San Nicholas de Flue in Ponferrada

And what @SabineP said:
On the Francès :
Albergue Villares de Orbigo.
Changing owers at the moment but both ladies are true hospitaleras!
Fixed price for the bed. Donativo for the superb food.
[...]
On the Camino Vasco Interior.
The albergue in Beasain.
Every two weeks new volunteers.

But favorite for one person can be a disaster for another. So I will be clear: I go for simplicity and heart over cushy-ness. If you are more comfortable in an accomodation that has comfort and mod-cons...a few of these may not be for you.

Last year on the Francés, neither San Anton nor San Nicholas were anything close to full, while the mobs walked on by. Take your pick. ;)

I have to say being in the bunk by the door in San Anton on a full moon night was an all-time camino highlight.

My favourite albergue on my last camino (fall 2019) was Albergue Santa Ana in San Martin del Camino, on the historic route out of Leon. I had planned to stay in Albergue Vieira, but had not made a reservation. When I saw that a large school group had just arrived there, I decided to go on to the next albergue and suggested that another peregrina whom I had just met might want to do the same. We were initially told that there was no space in the dormitory, but I suggested that we might share a double room, which is what we did. Reasonable price and quiet. But the best part of our time there was dinner: a table of sociable pilgrims and excellent food. There were two good vegetarian main courses, the same for meat courses, and salad etc. We sat and shared and talked about our pilgrimage in multiple languages. Good food, good company, and quiet semi-private accommodation for a reasonable price. I promised the manager to post a favourable review: this is it.

There are so many, not sure I can come up with one favorite. And I know that nostalgia and the presence of great companions colors all of my recollections, so my choices may be more subjective than others. I loved Auberge du Pelerin in SJPdP because the helpfulness of the hospitalero was over-the-top and the food was to die for. Views of the ancient city walls and the town were awesome too.

In Puente la Reina, Albergue Jakue stands out in my mind, partly because of the buffet (turkey leg with the best gravy ever), good facilities, overall cleanliness and the small garden area is a great place to relax in the shade.

The shared vibe you get after experiencing the walk to Roncesvalles, the history of the place and the pilgrim Mass in the chapel next door put the Albergue de peregrinos de Orreaga somewhere near the top of my list. It's just such a cool place.

La Casa Magica in Villatuerta was outstanding, both in terms of food and accommodations. I see they are under new management and it looks like they've continued to improve the place. I spoke with a contractor who was working on the building and he thought the stone flooring in the entrance could be of Roman origin. The owner doubted that, thought it probably dated to 1300. Either way, it's certainly old and very beautiful.
Hello everyone,

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your favorite albergues! Your recommendations were well-written and very helpful. So far I’ve received 24 of your recommendations and personal stories. I especially enjoyed your stories because that is what the Camino is all about. I recognized some of the places suggested and your words brought back some great memories. I will compile a list when I get back from Guatemala and I’d be happy to pass it along to anyone who is interested. Let me know. Again, muchas gracias and buen caminos!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back