• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
O Ceibrero horses, part 2 of 3

On the way up we saw a horse coming down, riderless and alone. I had enough time to get the camera out and get this picture.
View attachment 91264
One picture wasn't enough. Another could be better. I pressed the shutter button and waited for the click and I got the picture that was most memorable.
View attachment 91265
Man, that camera was s_l_o_w. And, less than a second after the camera's click, I was pushed off the trail.
A happier horse pic from O Cebreiro.

WZCDMAsg.jpeg

End of July 2013. Looking back on the Primitivo - Hospitales Route. This was a glorious but tough, sun baked day that cemented forever the importance of carrying enough water - always!! Both my companion and I ran out of water with no source available for another 8 km or so, until we found an open tap on the side of an uninhabited house in Montefurado.

primitivo.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remember reading somewhere that you gain 8km of height on the Francés route from St-Jean to Santiago, only to give it all back along the way.

The Camino is a metaphor for life - lots of ups and downs.
So true, so true.

Everyday on del Norte was give and take. Up into the mountains, down out to the sea. Brutal but so beautiful 🤩 but so, so brutal. 😅

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that you gain 8km of height on the Francés route from St-Jean to Santiago, only to give it all back along the way.

The Camino is a metaphor for life - lots of ups and downs.
I was reading an article about the SWCP a while ago and two guys had walked a week of it and reported the total ascent was the height of Everest (about 8.5km). They finished up about the same elevation as they began too

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
View attachment 91288
Had a wonderful private tour, in fact when I started to take the photo the Priest told me to wait. I thought I was in trouble! But he was just running off to turn the lights on for me :)
Please tell; where is this? The retablo looks Baroque but the walls have a modern feel.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Time again for one of my non nature pictures.
Glorious celebration lunch in Santiago de Compostela on arrival. Restaurante San Clemente. Invited by one of the nicest permanent residents of this city.
You know you had a great afternoon when you arrive in the restaurant at 2 pm and leave there at 5.30. Wonderful tableguests. The Orujo was not bad either... ;)

San Clemente.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Time again for one of my non nature pictures.
Glorious celebration lunch in Santiago de Compostela on arrival. Restauarante San Clemente. Invited by one of the nicest permanent residents of this city.
You know you had a great afternoon when you arrived in the restaurant at 2 pm and leave there at 5.30. Wonderful tableguests. The Orujo was not bad either... ;)

View attachment 91305
Looks delicious. Yum. I was going to post a food pic. Perhaps tomorrow.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
La Virgen del Camino! Just after Leon.

Yes, I suppose that maaaaay have been too easy for this learned crowd :)

Here's a look from the outside should anyone new to the Camino is watching along.
:oops: I couldn't remember the retablo and I even have my own shot of the interior.

Yes, I suppose that maaaaay have been too easy for this learned crowd :)

Here's a look from the outside should anyone new to the Camino is watching along.

View attachment 91322
FC9DAFED-C0B5-4E73-80E9-B1B1EFC14894.jpeg
Sept 23, 2013 was my first and only rest day on my first Camino and I spent it in La Virgen del Camino. 😍

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The only other modern church we think we saw on the Camino is this one on the Camino del Norte in Bilbao. The Passionist Church of San Felicisima, which was just up the road from our Albergue. We were able to go to Mass there on a Saturday evening. May have posted this earlier on in this thread, sorry. May, 2018.
20180505_195734.jpg

It looks like the portada del cementerio between Navarette and Ventosa.
Spot on.

Amazingly/coincidentally, that was next on my list to post too, having spent the night at Casa del Peregrinos in Navarette and being awoken there by someone who had forgotten the rule about putting your phones on silent.

2018-08-31 07.59.28.jpg
So instead, here's the next image of the day, en route to Ventosa.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spot on.

Amazingly/coincidentally, that was next on my list to post too, having spent the night at Casa del Peregrinos in Navarette and being awoken there by someone who had forgotten the rule about putting your phones on silent.

View attachment 91359
So instead, here's the next image of the day, en route to Ventosa.
Do post your photo of the portada del cementerio...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To celebrate a cool Canadian winter morning, here is a frosty morning photo between León and San Martin del Camino. Glad I took this route one time as the Albergue in San Martin (first one on left as you enter) had a remarkable Hospitalera and great food) but the long, boring walk along the highway was not overly enjoyable. Next time it will be back to the countryside route that splits off just at the church in La Virgin del Camino.

077437FA-80A8-401C-AEDC-889AB6593AAC.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David, was this your first Camino? I've not seen another reference to an earlier one on this forum.
Yes, this was my first Camino. I recently found and scanned in the photos I took then. So I'm posting a few of them in this thread. I've seen several fellow forum members reference earlier Caminos they've done in various threads since I've joined, but I do think this tends towards the earlier end of the spectrum so I thought the photos might be of interest.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, this was my first Camino. I recently found and scanned in the photos I took then. So I'm posting a few of them in this thread. I've seen several fellow forum members reference earlier Caminos they've done in various threads since I've joined, but I do think this tends towards the earlier end of the spectrum so I thought the photos might be of interest.
I'd love to see more Camino pics from before the "digital age"!

As you might have seen, I've started a new thread to ask more about Caminos from the 20th century. Perhaps you might contribute there too!

Neli Diaz in her very pilgrim friendly shop / bar Casa Fredrico in the village of Cereijeira just past Grandas de Salime on the Primitivo. Her father opened the shop in 1953 and she took over when he retired. She said that there have been tough times over the years but the shop kept going and in recent times the pilgrim trade has been a boost in helping the shop to continue and thrive. I think about these places in the small villages and I wonder how Neli is doing.

A fun little mirrored sign on the wall near the door. It reads "When will the three of us meet again?" :)

Neli.jpg sign.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The thing about film photography is there is no instant feedback. You don't know what the picture looks like until you get it back from the developer, often after the trip is over. And they can come back with some weird effects, like this photo from Viana taken in March 1989.
Scan20201227131045_047.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
photo no 98
This morning I got curious and did a count of my pictures taken during our 12 week trip to Spain in 2015. 6,000 :eek: but the first 4,500 were lost when the SD card snapped. :mad: Fortunately, about 600 of the lost ones had been loaded onto a tablet to view on a big screen and cropped and a screenshot taken. :) I've been working with those screenshots for all my SJPdP to O Ceibrero submittals. I do backups differently now. 😆
before Santo Domingo
I've been seeing many photos of this view lately (I even have two that got saved). It is so nice seeing the differences in the pictures though, different crops in different years, different seasons and weather and with different sprinklings of pilgrims.

This morning I got curious and did a count of my pictures taken during our 12 week trip to Spain in 2015. 6,000 :eek: but the first 4,500 were lost when the SD card snapped. :mad: Fortunately, about 600 of the lost ones had been loaded onto a tablet to view on a big screen and cropped and a screenshot taken. :) I've been working with those screenshots for all my SJPdP to O Ceibrero submittals. I do backups differently now. 😆

I've been seeing many photos of this view lately (I even have two that got saved). It is so nice seeing the differences in the pictures though, different crops in different years, different seasons and weather and with different sprinklings of pilgrims.
You poor devil, Rick! A real lesson, whatever it taught you...😆

Dinner in the vaulted dining room at San Martin Pinario in Santiago. The food wasn't very interesting but I enjoyed the experience of eating there.

View attachment 91535
I’ve stayed there many nights in one of the designated pilgrim rooms. I love this building, love it. The all you can eat breakfast buffet that comes with the rate of the room is unbelievably a good deal. Oh did I mention I love this place. 🥰🤣 Your soup looks delicious.

I feel your pain. I went looking for my 2013 photos somewhere on a thumb drive or two and I couldn’t find them. I took them with a canon camera that had a SD card as well. 😬 I have a few that somehow made it to my cell phone album and some that come around each year as memories on my FB other than that I don’t know where else to look. 😥🤷🏻‍♀️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Number 99, oh my goodness! A few days ago I posted the albergue we stayed in, so this is a little out of sync. I do wish I had been able to live twice at the same time. The physical effort was so difficult a lot of the time and prevented me from fully savouring the reality. I will never do it again, so best just to look at the photos again, and be amazed at the absolutely fabulous achievement for this old couch potato!
99 arriving Sto Domingo.jpg

I feel your pain. I went looking for my 2013 photos somewhere on a thumb drive or two and I couldn’t find them. I took them with a canon camera that had a SD card as well. 😬 I have a few that somehow made it to my cell phone album and some that come around each year as memories on my FB other than that I don’t know where else to look. 😥🤷🏻‍♀️
UPDATE: I found them on an old laptop I had put away because it was slowing down. I quickly transferred them to a thumb drive then to iCloud. Oh happy day! Happy dance! 💃🏻 😁

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
About my lost pictures. When my SD card didn't work and I saw it had snapped I invoked a few magic chants that didn't work either (they were too short). Within 30 seconds I calmed down when I realized that I had taken thousands of slides over 50 years that I hadn't viewed in decades.

I'm glad that I still have this one though.
D10600-HOR.jpg

September 26, 2013. After a windy, stormy night in the alburgue at Foncebadon we left in the dark to reach Cruz de Ferro. This, the last picture I took (for the next 24/48 hours) before the batteries died in my camera. 😊

View attachment 91620
This is my plan for the next time around, overnight in Foncebadon, sunrise at the Cruz de Ferro. Tried last time but weather came in so no sunrise visible... :(

This is my plan for the next time around, overnight in Foncebadon, sunrise at the Cruz de Ferro. Tried last time but weather came in so no sunrise visible... :(
I had to wait for the light but glad I did. Definitely a magical/spiritual moment for me. You can’t plan something like this. 😉 I hope the moment finds you too.

Last edited:
The graffiti Camino poem that lines a wall on the approach to Nájera.

Being a typical Englishman, I was unable to understand more than a few words, although I was later told that it's called "Pilgrim, who calls you?"

Does anyone have a full translation of the poem?

2018-08-31 11.42.00.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So sorry for the long post. ☺️ September 2, 2013: Delayed in Bayonne as they brought a second train car due to all the pilgrims. Borrowed a cell phone to call and cancel my reservation at L’Esprit du Chemin, they have a strict arrival time. I was nervous giving up my bed but was happy for the experience of letting the Camino provide. Arrived SJPdP as we stood in line at 20:30 hours all electrified bouncing off of each other with excitement. Little did I know my Camino family was being created in that magical moment.

The volunteers at the pilgrims office were so fun and helpful as they searched for beds for most of us. I was given the attic above Le Chemin vers I’Etoile alburgue with an Irishman named Neil, two small bed type things, mattresses thrown about, a hole in the roof a few in the floor, watch your step. It was perfect 😆 This is a photo of the attic and the very first photo I took of my Camino.
39F45981-5132-424B-B1C9-D419E15AB186.jpeg

Last edited:
Two today (I know that's breaking the rules, but they are related and part of one whole experience). Also from Santo Domingo de la Calzada, March 1989. These are of a "Camino" path that was set in red in the white pavement. The various towns along the Camino were marked with images of pilgrims, but they really outdid themselves when they got to their own town along the Camino path. I don't remember if this is still there from my 2016 Camino. I certainly didn't take photos of it then.
Scan20201227131045_050.jpgScan20201227131045_052.jpg

Waiting in Taberna Blai, Beasain before the albergue opens. Camino Vasco Interior 2019.
Inside because of yet another rainy day.

Wonderful food and very nice people.

Taberna Blai.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back