• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After completing the Francés, I had a date with a stag do in San Sebastían, which saw me head all the way back across Spain into Basque country by train.

It took just ten hours to get there, after having spent five weeks walking in the other direction.

That was weird.

I was expecting to fly back with my friends to London after the "festivities", but it turned out that my absence on the outward flight (which had been booked before I decided to walk) meant that my return journey from Bilbao had simply vapourised.

That was a lesson learned.

You can't return if you didn't leave.

So, I decided to walk from Bilbao towards Santander and catch a ferry to Plymouth, my hometown. That would be a far more sedate and leisurely way to come home than a flight to Gatwick anyway.

That means I have a fair few pictures of a stretch of the Camino del Norte - so here we go with those.
0EuIzP6Q.jpeg

The most beautiful museum in the world?

Does the road wind up-hill all the way?
Alan, thank you for the Rosetti! I did not know that one....

which saw me head all the way back across Spain into Basque country by train.
It took just ten hours to get there, after having spent five weeks walking in the other direction.
Yeah, it is weird. I did this in reverse last year, on my way From Santiago to Irun to walk the Vasco-Frances-Invierno. It was a preview, since the train tracks were often very near all three Caminos. By the time I got to Irun I was questioning my sanity. What I learned on the return trip was rocketing past the landscape makes it look far more difficult to walk through than it actually is.
The most beautiful museum in the world?
Well, de gustibus non disputandem est...but I'd agree. ;)

One thing that walking has over the train is that you get to see beings like this (on the way up to the Tunel San Adrian, Camino Vasco):
IMG_1030 - Copy.JPG

(Anyone who can confirm the name of this beautiful orchid, please sing out - I think it is Orchis purpurea)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking down on Xixona, capital of Spain's Christmas staple turrón, from over 1200m up on the Vilajoyosa variant of the Camino de la Lana, with the mediterranean hazy in the background.

Xixona (or Jijona) is described by the local tourism people as "el lugar más dulce del mundo."

xixona.JPG

Last edited:
Alan, thank you for the Rosetti! I did not know that one....

Yeah, it is weird. I did this in reverse last year, on my way From Santiago to Irun to walk the Vasco-Frances-Invierno. It was a preview, since the train tracks were often very near all three Caminos. By the time I got to Irun I was questioning my sanity. What I learned on the return trip was rocketing past the landscape makes it look far more difficult to walk through than it actually is.
Well, de gustibus non disputandem est...but I'd agree. ;)

One thing that walking has over the train is that you get to see beings like this (on the way up to the Tunel San Adrian, Camino Vasco):
View attachment 78373

(Anyone who can confirm the name of this beautiful orchid, please sing out - I think it is Orchis purpurea)
Google came up with it - you are correct, and otherwise called Lady Orchid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All things considered, this might have been the finest photograph I took while I was in Spain.
Wow...the light and composition is pretty amazing.

In response to @alansykes 's string of amazing vistas from mountaintops, I offer the view from the top of Monte Faro, one of the highest points in Galicia, with a view of all four all four of the Galician provinces. The windmills mark the next part of the way ahead all the way into the distance, while the building nearby is the Ermita de Nosa Señora de Faro (Invierno 2019):20190612_125430 - Copy.jpg

I will indulge myself with two photos today, because in taking this photo, I had my back to this...surreal in a 2001 the Space Odyssey way, but with wonderful reflections:
20190612_125224.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The Fervenza da Cidadella, on the Portuguese border shortly before Verín on the Camino Zamorano Portugués. The only way you could tell there was a border was the pinging from my pocket as vodafone.es slugged it out with vodafone.pt, and my mobile's automatic clock tried to change between Portuguese and Spanish time.

fervenza.JPG

Last edited:
Camino Frances- 17th, September, 2014 La Virgen Del Camino Church of San Froilan, we turned of just after this to head to Villar de Mazarife. We met Gordy & Tracey from the USA with their 6 year old daughter walking the Camino outside this church. We also stayed in the same Albergue, Tio Pepe that evening and had a very good communal meal.View attachment 77951
It was a strange sight to see this unique, modern church after so many ancient churches and cathedrals along the way.

Before I continue on with pictures from our 2015 Camino Frances I'm going to jump back to the start of my 2019 camino. I started out in the morning passing by Sant Pau del Camp, meeting @Camino Chrissy for breakfast (Hi, Chris.), touching the Mediterranean and a few of the other churches in Barcelona. I had already spent a bit of time in the area beforehand though. Since my first day was a long one I didn't spend much time photographing the churches I already visited. But, for you, I'm going to submit some pictures of those churches that I photographed pre-camino. I start with Sagrada Familia.

View attachment 78298

The windows on the east side of the church are in the cool colors and those on the west side are in the warm colors.
Hi Rick, I too, loved my tour of the unique Sagrada Familia. It was so nice to meet you in person...what a great coincidence to be in Barcelona at the same time!

Does the road wind up-hill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day’s journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.

But is there for the night a resting-place?
A roof for when the slow dark hours begin.
May not the darkness hide it from my face?
You cannot miss that inn.

Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?
Those who have gone before.
Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?
They will not keep you standing at that door.

Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?
Of labour you shall find the sum.
Will there be beds for me and all who seek?
Yea, beds for all who come.

Between Tarazona and Ágreda on the Camino Castellano-Aragonés.

View attachment 78349
Such a beautiful, rhyming style poem!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Portuguese- 2nd, May, 2016
This was in the corner of the breakfast room in our accommodation in Tomar. It is a Tabuleiro, which are used in the Festa dos Tabuleiros (Festival of the Trays) or Festo do Divino Espirito Santo (Feast of the Holy Spirit), which occurs every four years in Tomar. They are stacked with 30 pieces of bread either in 6 rows of 5 or 5 rows of six, decorated with flowers. The locals parade in pairs with the girls carrying Tabuleiros on their heads. Not sure if this one was left over from the 2015 Festa!
P5023687.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In April 2018 there was a beautiful photo exhibit on the walls around Praza do Obradoiro. Three photos but they belong together :) The first photo on a side wall of the cathedral, the other two on the side of the Monastery of San Paio de Antealtares.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.jpg

I've never walked a camino in the fall. I notice how the grass and the gravel road meld seamlessly into one color.
Looking back on the photos from that camino now, I remember again just how warm it was. So many photos are of a similar hue. As we walked down through Navarre, there were large scorched areas close to the camino from recent fires.

This was the next day, 5th September 2012, as we headed towards Hornillos del Camino:Hornillos in the distance.jpg

Last edited:

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
the pictures are beautiful!..some cameras have a built in GPS feature..with my horrid recall for some things,I now see why it would be a good thing to have!

@Theatregal : the pics moved me immensely when I saw them!
Me as well Sabine! I'm sorry that I didn't find information about the photographer and the exhibit at the time. I've tried since but haven't found anything. I think this photo is a self portrait of the photographer. @ivar and @SYates , as Santiago residents, I'm wondering if you know anything about this exhibition?

photo.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Barcelona I went to the romanesque church of Sant Pau del Camp to pick up a credential. I visited again about two weeks later and on the very early morning start of my Camino Catalan I passed by and touched the gate.

pau-apse-3.jpg

Note the crucifix in the chapel to the left of the apse and the madonna and child in the one to the right of the apse.

Sant Pau del Camp, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wish I could see some of the photos. After about ten minutes, at least three above are still not loaded...:(
The webpages for the forum's picture threads would load faster if members did not attach their pictures to show them in full.

If a member's post is recent then the post can be easily edited to change a full picture into a clickable thumbnail. After getting into edit mode click the cogwheel icon so the other icons are greyed out and then edit the statement where your picture would be that says ATTACH=full to be just ATTACH.

Last edited:
The webpages for the forum's picture threads would load faster if members did not attach their pictures to show them in full.
I should add that I was guilty of posting pictures in full too. They do look more impressive that way. I thought that only the posters of the pictures were readers of the thread also until @kirkie expressed concern back when @VNwalking started the new thread. That didn't need to be done as each forum webpage shows no more than 100 posts at a time. The number of posts in a thread doesn't make a difference in speed of rending but the number of posts on a page does.

€83,-

If a member's post is recent then the post can be easily edited to change a full picture into a clickable thumbnail. After getting into edit mode click the cogwheel icon so the other icons are greyed out and then edit the statement where your picture would be that says ATTACH=full to be just ATTACH.
Thanks Rick. I have now done this but is it possible not to have the word attach visible on the post?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
when you want to hug a tree.
When you want to eat a tree. Landscape with cherries, Invierno.

[Edit ~ Proposing a middle way in the discussion of how to post photos. Attach them full size, but then reduce the size of the image so it's not so big. Click on it and you'll see the edges outlined in blue with little squares at each corner - you can adjust the size by dragging the squares. Edit-edit Never mind, see below!]

Attachments

• 20190607_151403.jpg
    20190607_151403.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
[Edit ~ Proposing a middle way in the discussion of how to post photos. Attach them full size, but then reduce the size of the image so it's not so big. Click on it and you'll see the edges outlined in blue with little squares at each corner - you can adjust the size by dragging the squares.]
Sorry, that will not help speed up page downloads. The image is still saved on the server full size and delivered to the browser full size but with an instruction to the browser to manipulate the pixels to display the full size image in a smaller size. It is the number of bytes being delivered that slow things down, especially if one has a low broadband internet connection.

I just tested your suggestion in the forum's sandbox thread. The display was small but the image was actually delivered full size. This can be seen on a smartphone by using your fingers to zoom in on the image (there are other ways to check also). I assume you used this method to post your picture. I downloaded the picture which was on the order of 4,000 pixels by 2,000 pixels (1/16th the size, 1000x500, would still make an excellent browser display). The picture took up 4.8 MB of storage.

The forum software takes the picture submitted and makes a very small copy of it. When a browser requests a page the server sends the small copy. If the copy is clicked on then the browser will be sent the full size image. If all the pictures submitted were indicated to be a thumbnail then a webpage could avoid sending so much data at once and it would be quick work for the browser to get to the location on the page where it should be.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick. I have now done this but is it possible not to have the word attach visible on the post?

Oops. There seems to be more there than I remembered. Anyway the process is the same. In the sandbox I attached a full image and submitted it. I then edited my post and clicked on the cogwheel and I saw the following (ignore the "Code header, that is to prevent the software from trying to interpret my text as a display instruction; also the number 78639 is an identifier used by the software to find the correct picture in the 78,639 of them submitted so far.)

Code:
[ATTACH type="full" alt="IMG_20191017_103935.jpg"]78639[/ATTACH]

To get the full size picture to display as a thumbnail I edited the post to be

Code:
[ATTACH]78639[/ATTACH]

Possibly you left out a bracket or maybe left in a quote symbol somewhere (I cannot find out what as I don't have permission to see the markup used on your post).

BTW, you only need to do that editing to make a picture change size. You could leave it full size. Soon we will be on a new webpage and @kirkie's display speed will pickup again because there will once again be few large images being displayed. To keep it fast for her (and others) just do not not click the "full size" button when submitting the picture. Click "thumbnail" or nothing at all.

Missed in our first two visits to Barcelona was the church Santa Maria del Mar. This was definitely on our list of sights to see on our 2019 trip though as, not only had we seen friends' pictures of it, Peg watched a Netflix series, Cathedral of the Sea, where its14th century construction served as a backdrop to the story. It is in the Catalan gothic style. It is closed in by buildings today so it is difficult to get a really good photo of the exterior so I'm including another picture of a model. At the base of the model is a long black object which represents a sculpture with an eternal flame that is at an adjacent memorial park.This church was also one of the ones that I touched on the morning of the start of my Camino Catalan.

santa-maria-exterior.jpg santa-maria-model.jpg

Santa Maria del Mar, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Sorry, that will not help speed up page downloads. The image is still saved on the server full size and delivered to the browser full size but with an instruction to the browser to manipulate the pixels to display the full size image in a smaller size. It is the number of bytes being delivered that slow things down, especially if one has a low broadband internet connection.
Dang. Oh, well, it was a good idea. Thanks for checking it out Rick! I just went back and reduced the size, which makes the photo into a nondescript green blur. Sigh. But whichever we do, please know it is possible to click on the image and get a full size version.

€46,-
14th October 2017:

Walking through the vineyards between Valtuille de Arriba and Villafranca del Bierzo. The haze in the background turned out to be smoke from the forest fires soon to be encountered 🥵
Just beyond Valtuille de Arriba Oct 2017 .jpgVineyard between Valtuille de Arriba Villa Franca14102017.jpg

Photo taken from Lugo's Roman wall. What is the story? What kept this little stone house in place, squished between the new build apartment block?

View attachment 78682
My guess is one or more unsettled lawsuits. There often seem to be lawsuits involved when a region or town in Spain plans for a new albergue in an unused building, so this may be something similar.

Camino del Norte- 28th,May, 2018 We walked from Aviles to Muros De Nalon this day and this was taken from near El Castillo while we were having a welcome lunch break. We had to cross the bridge over the water from left to right and then up to Casa Carmina at the entrance to Muros, which is on the high ground at the far right of the picture. Very comfortable, friendly albergue.
20180528_125346.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
15th Oct 2017:

The Puente Medieval over the Rio Burbia on the exit from Villafranca del Bierzo. Not a very well focused shot but the camera on my phone 'struggled' a bit in poor light. This was just after eight in the morning and I was weighing up the option of taking the route through Pradela. I did and it was a super walk.
Early Morning leaving Villafranca.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We get to walk in the rain because for some crazy reason we want to, but for some it is not a choice - life as a farmer in Galicia is not easy!
(Five minutes later that dark grey cloud let loose a torrent of cold water...)

Attachments

• Saria-Portomarin (11).JPG
    Saria-Portomarin (11).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
15th Oct 2017:

The Puente Medieval over the Rio Burbia on the exit from Villafranca del Bierzo. Not a very well focused shot but the camera on my phone 'struggled' a bit in poor light. This was just after eight in the morning and I was weighing up the option of taking the route through Pradela. I did and it was a super walk.
View attachment 78759
Hi Madidi, We have a very similar photo to yours but taken at 10.40am. I will post it as our photo for today.

€46,-
Camino Frances- 23rd, September, 2014 We walked from Cacabelos to Trabadelo, via the Pradela route.
Pat at 10.43am just before we crossed Puente rio Burbia and turned off to the right to climb steeply up the Pradela route. A few hours later than Madidi's photo posted yesterday. We also enjoyed walking this route, we were lucky with the weather and the views were amazing.
23 Sep #4 1043hrs Villafranca del Bierzo Pat overlooking Rio Burbia Bridge leading to Pradela ...JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back