• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After touching the door of Santa Maria del Mar and before doing the same at the cathedral I stopped by at the church of Sant Jaume (Saint James). It was still too early in the day for it to be open and I hadn't previously visited this church and so my picture to share with you today is of its door. Note the pilgrim symbols on the right-hand shield.

church-door.jpg

Camino Frances- 23rd, September, 2014 We walked from Cacabelos to Trabadelo, via the Pradela route.
In 2017, there appeared to have been a recent fire which had decimated the forests along the path above Villafranca. I didn't really see many trees until I was approaching Pradela and these were all chestnut. The views were superb.
I stopped at the albergue in Pradela for a coffee and a sello. The young hospitalero was very friendly and insisted that I stayed until his partner had finished cooking a chestnut-flour traybake: she cut me a large piece to have with my coffee and another she gave me wrapped for 'later'. A memorable stop.
Many months later I was looking over my credential for the camino and I spotted that the hospitalero had added a little stick-man peregrino to the sello. That did make me smile :)

Pradela Sello 15 Oct 2017.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Vitoria/ Gasteiz obviously :) 2019
I went 🤣🤣🤣, because while I must have seen that, there is zero memory of it. Nada.
Funny.

Here is one of my memories of the wonderful Vitoria Gasteiz (most memories here have no photos attached...):

Attachments

• 20190523_074507.jpg
    20190523_074507.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 19
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After touching the churches in old Barcelona I headed to and then up Passeig de Gràcia on my way to the velodrome where I would meet the arrow marked camino to Monserrat. On the way, just beyond the Lesseps metro station, the neighborhood church Església dels Josepets had its doors open.

cropped-barcelona-church.jpg

Now I will move on to an earlier camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Moncayo, highest mountain in the sistema central, from the flat of the Ruta del Ebro near Tudela. Andalusian Bécquer fell in love with "el fantástico panorama de las sinuosidades del Moncayo", writing about it regularly and spending several years of his short life living in its shadow.

Attachments

• moncayo.JPG
    moncayo.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 19
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
19 May 2015:

We finished our Camino Madrid in Sahagun and stayed in the Benedictinas alburgue there. The nuns were sponsoring children from a village in Peru and selling produce made there. Portraits of the children were on the the corridor walls.

Sahagun Alburgue 19 May 2015.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Me as well Sabine! I'm sorry that I didn't find information about the photographer and the exhibit at the time. I've tried since but haven't found anything. I think this photo is a self portrait of the photographer. @ivar and @SYates , as Santiago residents, I'm wondering if you know anything about this exhibition?

View attachment 78571
Hey, Caryn,

I think here's something for you :)

Enjoy!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The impressive medieval church of Santa María de la Asunción at Castro Urdiales, the last steps for me on the Camino del Norte, before hopping on a coach to Santander and a ferry to my hometown of Plymouth.

That was the end of my two months in Spain in 2018.

Next, I'll post from my Portugués from Porto in the spring of 2019.

Attachments

• St_-_9nA.jpeg
    St_-_9nA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Camino del Norte- 4th, May, 2018 As we entered Bilbao we visited the Gothic Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Begona and got a sello. We then went further into the city and visited the Catedral de Santiago, we also got a sello there. St James statue is in the Cathedral .
P5040226.JPG

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
16th May 2015:

Early morning along the Canal de Castilla not far from Medina de Rioseco on the Camino Madrid. The canal runs for just over 200kms northeast from Medina. If you have walked the Frances, you will have walked along it too: it runs past Fromista.

Canal de Castilla at Medina de Rioseco 16 May 2015 .jpg

Sorry guys but I'll have to break the rule of one photo per day if I want to tell this story. And I have to start it with a video on top of it... Is that OK? In my defense I can only say that in past one month I couldn't post (can not tell why or I won't be able to post for another month :) )

Well here it goes. It happened in 2015 on Camino de Levante one day after Avila in a small village of Gotarrendura (which is said to be a birthplace of St.Teresa of Avila, BTW, and also on Camino Teresiano towards Salamanca). There's this very nice albergue but no tienda. And the restaurant where this happened is now reportedly closed as I know.

I met this guy from Madrid a night before in Avila's municipal albergue and since we were the only pilgrims there we decided to go for a supper in mentioned restaurant. First course came, insalata mixta as is very common in Spain and while I was surprised because of the quantity of it my pal wasn't. He's saying something like "no problem, it's not much, it's just a salad, this will go through me easily" in this video:

What happened next is captured in these three photos:

Attachments

• 2015-07-05 20.45.26.jpg
    2015-07-05 20.45.26.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 2015-07-05 20.46.34.jpg
    2015-07-05 20.46.34.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 2015-07-05 21.11.29.jpg
    2015-07-05 21.11.29.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From the opposite direction at the bottom of said hill:
Beautiful. This is a view of the kind of path (and the photo Sabine posted earlier) that I would look up at and think...'a perfect camino path'. Unless of course it was a pouring rain day turning it into a mud bog :) I probably would have taken at least 20 photos of the same view.🙂

Unless of course it was a pouring rain day turning it into a mud bog :) I
Well it was raining. But that was one of the places where the walking was friendly, unlike a few other places that day which had been more than a little gnarly. And yes, that was precisely the thought I was having when I took the photo! The quintessential Camino path.

K1, you guys didn't finish the bread... 🤭

OMG, that's...a ton of food!
Postre? Just one thin mint???
🤣

Warmly welcome back, BTW! (Please do mind your Ps and Qs...we prefer having you around to being away...)
If you look closer we didn't finish our beer either. People who know me personaly also know that such a thing is a pure fake news or at least science fiction :D

Last edited:
Again some food. Tarta de zanahoria aka carrotcake at cafe Tertulia in Santiago de Compostela. Once the " meetingplace " for members of this forum who wanted to meet other pilgrims in Santiago.

Attachments

• Tarta de zanahoria.jpg
    Tarta de zanahoria.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 16
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry guys but I'll have to break the rule of one photo per day if I want to tell this story. And I have to start it with a video on top of it... Is that OK? In my defense I can only say that in past one month I couldn't post (can not tell why or I won't be able to post for another month :) )

Well here it goes. It happened in 2015 on Camino de Levante one day after Avila in a small village of Gotarrendura (which is said to be a birthplace of St.Teresa of Avila, BTW, and also on Camino Teresiano towards Salamanca). There's this very nice albergue but no tienda. And the restaurant where this happened is now reportedly closed as I know.

I met this guy from Madrid a night before in Avila's municipal albergue and since we were the only pilgrims there we decided to go for a supper in mentioned restaurant. First course came, insalata mixta as is very common in Spain and while I was surprised because of the quantity of it my pal wasn't. He's saying something like "no problem, it's not much, it's just a salad, this will go through me easily" in this video:

What happened next is captured in these three photos:
Kinky, a salad is a salad, no matter how big. Rather it's those huge hunks of meat that has me salivating...yum!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
26th August 2016:

Splendid isolation in the mountains between Buiza and Pajares on the Camino de San Salvador. It was very overcast and wet after a huge thunderstorm the night before. Just glad to be walking at all :)

Buiza to Pajares 26 08 2016.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A very quirky...
The word "quirky" reminded me quickly of the quirkiest check-in at an albergue I've ever had on five various caminos. It was in the near ghost town of Ciruena. Notice the owner's pen he used and apron he wore. He reminded me of "Ramon" in "The Way". We had our own room, but something creepy about it made me sleep with the lights on all night to keep bedbugs away.😛

EDIT- He also played loud opera music in the morning as a wake up call...yep, Ramone!
Screenshot_20200717-094646~2.png

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The word "quirky" reminded me quickly of the quirkiest check-in at an albergue I've ever had on five various caminos. It was in the near ghost town of Ciruena. Notice the owner's pen he used and apron he wore. He reminded me of "Ramon" in "The Way". We had our own room, but something creepy about it made me sleep with the lights on all night to keep bedbugs away.😛

Ooops, forgot the photo...
View attachment 79003
Hahaha, he reminds me of Jack Nicholson in The Witches of Eastwick in this photo :D :D :D

He reminded me of "Ramon" in "The Way". We had our own room, but something creepy about it made me sleep with the lights on all night to keep bedbugs away.😛
Funny. It just goes to show how many different views there are of the world. I liked the place.
He had been a professor (I think in Barcellona?) and bought the albergue before the ghost development happened. He was smart, opinionated, and had some really interesting stories.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Funny. It just goes to show how many different views there are of the world. I liked the place.
He had been a professor (I think in Barcellona?) and bought the albergue before the ghost development happened. He was smart, opinionated, and had some really interesting stories.
He spoke no English and there was only one other Italian couple staying there, so I didn't get to appreciate hearing any stories as I speak almost no Spanish. He had the cutest dogs that he loved!

Briviesca. Camino Vasco Interior. Plaza Mayor.
I absolutely love the way the plane trees (a variation of the sycamore) are trimmed as "stumps". I hear they sprout plenty of their big green leaves in the hot summer months which makes wonderful cool, shady colonades. Maybe someone can provide a photo as I always walk in spring.

I absolutely love the way the plane trees (a variation of the sycamore) are trimmed as "stumps". I hear they sprout plenty of their big green leaves in the hot summer months which makes wonderful cool, shady colonades. Maybe someone can provide a photo as I always walk in spring.
Tomorrow. I already posted mine for today ;)

But from memory on CF Burguette has them, Villava, Belorado, they are on espolon in Burgos etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Too many of them. I'll just continue with my Levante in this thread for now but I can make a collection of them and send it via e-mail if you really want :)
Awww, you are kind, but only if it is no big effort. I never saw the shade they provide so assume you sometimes walked in summer.

Still on Levante 2015. In the last village before Medina del Campo called San Vicente del Palacio there is municipal "albergue". I've slept in many odd places on my Caminos but this one was maybe the most bizarre, in a funny way, because it is in a classroom used also for evening classes for hairdressers :D But the bathroom was really nice and spotless clean. After this one maybe only the prison cell is missing in my collection ;)

Attachments

• 2015-07-08 07.50.24.jpg
    2015-07-08 07.50.24.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 21
this one was maybe the most bizarre, in a funny way, because it is in a classroom used also for evening classes for hairdressers :D But the bathroom was really nice and spotless
Kinky, did you wonder why you found so many hairs in your sleeping bag the following morning?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know why I like this photo so much but I do.
It captures the feeling of the first few days of the Vasco so well - the rain, the gentle green landscape, the neighborly presence of the rail line. People say the first part of the camino between Hernani and Beasain are not so nice, but I liked it a lot. But I could have done without the rain.

Attachments

• 20190518_134826.jpg
    20190518_134826.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
6th May 2015:

First day on the Camino Madrid. Just after leaving suburbia we were greeted with this beautiful display. It was the first of many on a wonderful camino. Highly recommended 👍 :)

Camino Madrid 06 05 2015.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Didn't you stay in the former jail cells in the albergue at Grajal de Campos on the Madrid?
Yes in a way but in 2014 it wasn't completely finished so the place where the cells were (now dormitory) was then still empty. I was searching for a place with minimal draft and I found it behind the reception desk. So strictly technically I didn't sleep in a prison cell. It still awaits me someday somewhere. Will report :D

€46,-
Camino Portuguese- 4th, May, 2016 We walked from Ansiao to Condeixa-a-Nova this day and came across this typical Portuguese blue tile photo promoting a picnic area in the countryside in the vicinity of the historic hamlet of Fonte Coberta and the 17thC Ponte Filipina , this can also just be seen in the second photo.
P5043701.JPGP5043702.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you in lockdown? Can't cleep? Or extremely bored? You can start counting ;)

(coming to Nava del Rey on Levante, 2015, the belltower of the church can be seen on the left side of the horizon, barely)

Attachments

• 2015-07-09 12.28.23.jpg
    2015-07-09 12.28.23.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you in lockdown? Can't cleep? Or extremely bored? You can start counting ;)

(coming to Nava del Rey on Levante, 2015, the belltower of the church can be seen on the left side of the horizon, barely)
Kinky, those sunflowers are amazing! Looks like a good reason to go in the fall.
P.S. That's the tiniest bell tower I've ever "barely" laid my eyes on! 😃

Ohhh, that would be too hot for me...no can do! Bummer 🙄
On Levante once you get past Toledo/Avila the temps drop but before that for ten days or so I had to walk in 40-48C and never below 25C in the night. Not one drop of rain during that time. My tech equipment started to die on me but obviously I survived. And I never ever started walking earlier than 8am (on any of my Caminos). So I guess it can be done. What was most annoying is that a lot of bars were closed in the heat peak of the day, damn :D

€60,-
The bird's eye view of Convento de San Francisco from Room 420 on the pilgrim floor of San Martin Pinario. I love that simple little corner room at the end of the long hall.

View attachment 79085
Everyone will now be coveting this room in the future...you may have to book earlier next time!

09 May 2015 Camino Madrid:

Segovia from the road on the way up into Zamarramala. We were disappointed not to find anywhere to stay in the city but were delighted to find the alburgue in Zamarramala. A brand new alburgue, a lovely friendly hospitalera, all mod cons and all free :) 👍

Segovia 09 05 2015.jpg

For those planning Camino de Madrid and that will stay overnight in Zamarramala I strongly suggest to take a walk to the outskirt of the village in the evening. You can do that because there's no official closing of albergue (digital code for entering). Bringing a bottle of wine or cold beer can make it even more romantic enjoying lit up Segovia ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back