• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emulating @SabineP and @VNwalking here is a view out a door of an albergue.

P1060365.JPG

The hospitalera at the Albergue do Sol e da Lua in Finisterra had a very friendly shaggy dog that was sent out for a haircut. He came back looking like a different dog. The hospitalera was ecstatic and had to get a picture. And so did I, of the moment. I didn't have time to get to the door so I grabbed the shot through a mirror.

And, if I can be excused for doubling my picture quota for today, here is what the albergue entrance looks like normally.

entrance.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Plaza de la Constitucion in Santa Olalla de Bureba. Camino Vasco Interior in 2019.
One of those sleepy villages. Only 50 inhabitants. Very well kept place. The bar was open but I did not go in ( now that was a first on this Camino seeing there are so few bars left in this region ). Befriended the old dog that was lying outside :).

Attachments

• bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Crossing the border from Valença and Portugal into Tui and Spain, I recall that the time shown on my phone changed at least half a dozen times (it was early May).

Living on a border with different time zones must present the locals with some issues.

What time are we meeting? 6/7 or 7/8?

Attachments

• MUXTohQQ.jpeg
    MUXTohQQ.jpeg
    902.1 KB · Views: 17
Camino del Norte- 18th, May, 2018 Walked from Comillas to Unquera this day and this photo is approaching San Vicente de la Barquera, mid morning. We bumped into a Canadian pilgrim from Thunder Bay, who we had met at Albergue Piedad in Boo de Pielagos, at the bus station in this town, where we stopped for a drink and rest stop. He was finished his Camino and was waiting for a bus to start his journey home. It was a great reunion.
20180518_101955.jpg

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Really? House in Ameyugo, the last village before Pancorbo (Via de Bayona, 2016)
Yeah, it was something, alright.
I posted a closer photo of it that doesn't convey its impact the way yours does.

Today's pic is somewhere between Rodeiro and Lalin on the Invierno, looking back at Monte Faro

Attachments

• 20190613_100151.jpg
    20190613_100151.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The dour castle at Chinchilla de Montearagón, where Caesare Borgia was an unwilling guest for a time. Near one of the joins between the Caminos de Levante and del Sureste, Albacete province.

Attachments

• chinchilla.JPG
    chinchilla.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 17
Am I the only one reactive about the sight of perfectly good shoes being thrown away? I hope that's not happening and that they will go to new feet instead.
It has been five years and my memory is hazy but I think the bin only had shoes in it so they were probably recycled in some manner.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A small rack railway to bring the grapes up the very steep terraces on the West side of the Rio Miño above Belesar. Wine grapes have been cultivated here in the Ribeira Sacra since Roman times.

Looking back to the other side of the river, the Camino Invierno emerges from behind the pines at the top of the terraces and goes steeply downhill from left to right, in the middle distance just above the end of the rack.

Attachments

• 20190611_123328.jpg
    20190611_123328.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino del Norte- 19th, May, 2018 Between Unquera and Pendueles, we walked into Asturias and these are two examples of the many Los Indianos houses to be found in Colombres. In the late 19thC many people from the north coast of Spain emigrated to the Americas, during a period of great poverty. Many left but only a few became rich, when they returned they built very large manor houses and acquired large estates. There are many examples of these houses still left, especially in Asturias.
20180519_085357.jpg20180519_083721.jpg

Desfiladero (gap) de Pancorbo - view back in the direction of Miranda de Ebro. Just enough place for RR, N-1 highway, Rio Oroncillo and Via de Bayona (2016). More recent autopista AP-1 is going through tunnels to the right of the gap.

Attachments

• 2016-06-01 14.24.31.jpg
    2016-06-01 14.24.31.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
something that fascinated me about the Camin are the roofs.

even when they emerge like this from a wheat field

otherwise, I am an engineer and such things delight me professionally

Attachments

• IMG_6617.JPG
    IMG_6617.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
7th Sept 2012:

Camino Frances. I stopped for a drink at the Albergue Amanecer in Villarmentero de Campos and spotted 'Bob' on the wall there. As my first grandson was christened Marley for the singer, I had to snap this for him.
I'm not sure what all those other scribbles mean though!! :)

Bob Marley on Albergue Amanecer Wall Villarmentero de Campos.jpg

Desfiladero (gap) de Pancorbo - view back in the direction of Miranda de Ebro. Just enough place for RR, N-1 highway, Rio Oroncillo and Via de Bayona
It was pretty amazing how many threads they could put through the eye of the needle. The most astonishing thing is that it didn't feel like all that was happening so close together and so close at hand.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Warm light on a grey day in the Roman mine at Las Medulas. The chestnut trees were in new leaf and the broom was providing its aroma to the golden ambience. An environmental disaster 2000 years ago has been transformed by time and nature into something lovely. I left with an odd kind of cynical hope - we humans make trouble. But if we stop, healing happens.

Attachments

• 20190604_115338.jpg
    20190604_115338.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
23rd September 2013:

Volunteering in the Pilgrims Office. A scene of peace and quiet before the pilgrims start appearing up the stairs to receive their compostelas. I think over 30,000 arrived that month :) 👍

Pilgrims Office Corridor 2013.jpg Inside the old office.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The shadow of the Puente Nuevo at Ronda. Via Serranía, October 2017.
Alan...Not that I want you to stop, mind, but every one of your photos makes me want to walk that camino.
The latest is...not sure what word fits, other than 'Wow.". Ronda is already photogenic, but you did something different.

Menhirs overlooking the way as it comes into Cirauqui. No-one seems to pay much attention as they walk by, but I come from a place where 1843 is 'old,' so this kind of thing makes an impression.

Attachments

• IMG_4352.JPG
    IMG_4352.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the stage from Pancorbo to Briviesca (Via de Bayona, 2016) I didn't take the right turn because I misunderstood one (sloppy painted) and missed the second (overgrown) arrow so I just kept on walking. The general direction was what it supposed to be and I did add some mileage because I returned back to solve the "mystery". But I discovered this very beautiful and quiet valley due to my mistake. It was worth it...

Attachments

• 2016-06-08 10.42.17.jpg
    2016-06-08 10.42.17.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@VNwalking - A September view of the Menirs before Cirauqui. I was reminded of it after seeing yours. I have so many photos of things and places along that first camino, that I didn't understand until I came home and started to research. My mind was changed after that as to the value of researching a place a bit before I went :) I haven't found anything about these however. I'll check out the Prehistory resource thread you posted today!

Attachments

• stones.jpg
    stones.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Attachments

• IMG_7956.JPG
    IMG_7956.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7955.JPG
    IMG_7955.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
Camino Frances- 17th, September, 2014 La Virgen Del Camino Church of San Froilan, we turned of just after this to head to Villar de Mazarife. We met Gordy & Tracey from the USA with their 6 year old daughter walking the Camino outside this church. We also stayed in the same Albergue, Tio Pepe that evening and had a very good communal meal.View attachment 77951
Basilica de la Virgen del Camino. Camino Frances.

Snap, SabineP ! ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best April Fool's Day jokes:

"In 1989 New Zealand gardening guru Eion Scarrow told a radio station that a bottle of water would stop dogs using your front yard as a toilet, and people have followed it ever since. Scarrow told TVNZ last year that he can't remember the inspiration for his prank."

''I don't know how I even thought about it; it was just spur of the moment. We had vets ringing up from England".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interior of Ermita de San Miguel Arcángel between Villatuerta and Estella

ermita.jpg

16th October 2015:

Had just finished walking into Santiago from Fisterra and Muxia when I joined a tour of the cathedral roof: wow, a whole different outlook from up there :) 👍

Torre da Trindade:

20151016_Torre da Trindade fromcathedral roof.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Armiñon on the Via de Bayona.
A lovely place, with a lovely bridge.

Somewhere between Hornillos and Hontanas. It's a profoundly simple landscape, just earth and sky - but the wind ruffling the wheat and the intense color of it all were mesmerizing.

Attachments

• 20190530_091005.jpg
    20190530_091005.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The shadow of the Puente Nuevo at Ronda. Via Serranía, October 2017.
Ronda is what got us to Spain for the first time in 1988. I wanted to visit the antipode to Auckland where I had spent some time. I purposely didn't lookup anything about it. What a fantastic place! The Romans would take vacations there. A few years ago we went to NZ and so Peg is an antipoder now too.

€60,-
7th May 2015:

Camino Madrid. Castillo Manzanares el Real. a palace-fortress erected in the 15th century. It houses a wonderful collection of tapestries and one of the biggest beds I have ever seen 😊😊

Castillo Manzanares el Real.jpgCastillo bed.jpg

€149,-
Casa porta de Santiago, last stop before Santiago, best dinner, T - bone steak 🍽 and the first and last time on CF I drank a whole bottle of wine tinto 😇

Please understand that I had to put two photos 😎

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 16
Early morning near the foot of Alto de Mostileres.
Anywhere you cared to look - in front, behind, or to the side - was glorious.
Sorry, I will also break the rules. But I made them, so..... 🙃
And. I can say with complete confidence that the halo over the shadow's head in the first photo has nothing to do with saintliness.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13

€60,-
Camino del Norte-25th, May, 2018 Somewhere, mid-morning, between Villaviciosa and Deva, before Gijon. Probably after Nievares on the way to Peon. Dave, in Cicerone's, The Northern Caminos, describes this as a long ascent to the Alto de la Cruz before descending the other side!
20180525_094946.jpg

This is one funny fountain. It's clearly dedicated to pilgrims and the plaque says "fuente del peregrino/fountain of the pilgrim/source de pelerin" BUT... Although I'm no shorty (1,80m/5.9f) I had a lot of trouble to stretch my body so much that I was able to finally reach the faucet and fill up my bottle. Would really like to know if any of the constructors/builders tried it :D

(Quintanavides, Via de Bayona, 2016)

Attachments

• 2016-06-09 13.26.52.jpg
    2016-06-09 13.26.52.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is one funny fountain. It's clearly dedicated to pilgrims and the plaque says "fuente del peregrino/fountain of the pilgrim/source de pelerin" BUT... Although I'm no shorty (1,80m/5.9f) I had a lot of trouble to stretch my body so much that I was able to finally reach the faucet and fill up my bottle. Would really like to know if any of the constructors/builders tried it :D

(Quintanavides, Via de Bayona, 2016)
K1, that fountain is for those who ride horses. while the horse drinks they pour their bottle 😎

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back