• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm almost sure that's in Ezequiel in Melide. Is it? If it is that's exactly the table and position I sat when I was there in 2011 :)
I'm almost sure that's in Ezequiel in Melide. Is it? If it is that's exactly the table and position I sat when I was there in 2011 :)
Indeed it was, on April 9, 2017. And the people watching was almost as good as the pulpo in the family-style dining room.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
And I think that I know exactly where you took it. Was it where something made of concrete (like a garage or something similar) was? To the right off the gravel road?

Hi K1: yes there was a viewing platform/patio I think, just as you left the village. We had stopped for a drink and the view just jumped out at us :) 👍

Viewing point

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are ceilings and there are ceilings. First is post office, the second is unknown bar...
Excuse me please for two pics :)

(Burgos, 2016)

Attachments

• 2016-06-10 19.41.20.jpg
    2016-06-10 19.41.20.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 2016-06-10 22.01.58.jpg
    2016-06-10 22.01.58.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
11th May 2014:

Camino Ingles. Abandoned farm buildings (actually an old rectory: see kinkyOne's info below) on the way to Sigueiro.

Abandoned Farmhouse.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This building has been renovated last year and is now:

Many thanks for this info K1: it's great to see this old building back to it's best and serving this wonderful camino. 👍 :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gijon, Asturias
It's so easy for us to forget that the actual Via de la Plata went from Cadiz to Gijon, rather than ending in Astorga.
also worth checking out https://www.larutaenbici.com/en which has both mountain bike and road bike routes for the via de la plata. the site is not strictly for the camino as it continues to gijon. here are two write-ups of both routes:
From one of the links I found by checking that out, here is an account of cycling from Leon to Gijon - a lot of it on a now little-used road, but in places following the Camino San Salvador and a route that as I understand what he wrote, roughly follows the original Roman VdlP:

Sorry...a digression. But I find the oldest routes irresistible.

On that note...I've posted photos from up here before, but it was such an amazing place. Via de Bayona 2019, looking back at the exit of the Tunel San Adrian, along the line of umbones (edge-stones) of the old road. It's one of my favorite photos, and one of the (many) high points of this camino.

Attachments

• 20190521_105011.jpg
    20190521_105011.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's so easy for us to forget that the actual Via de la Plata went from Cadiz to Gijon, rather than ending in Astorga.
A better wording might be the original Via de la Plata. I have a copy of the map, "Caminos de Santiago en la Peninsula Iberica" (2016) created by the Instituto Geografico Nacional of the Gobierno de Espana. It labels the current Via de la Plata as the familiar route which goes from Sevilla to Astorga. The route from Cadiz to Sevilla is the Via Augusta and Gijon is shown as a town on the Norte. Of course, it may be interesting to speculate on how the Roman road went north to its conclusion to Gijon, if that was its original end. I am wondering whether one of the current secondary roads going north from Benavente to Leon might have been a route of an original Roman road, connecting with the Primitivo northbound. Its lots of fun to speculate and to look for available information.

A better wording might be the original Via de la Plata. I have a copy of the map, "Caminos de Santiago en la Peninsula Iberica" (2016) created by the Instituto Geografico Nacional of the Gobierno de Espana. It labels the current Via de la Plata as the familiar route which goes from Sevilla to Astorga. The route from Cadiz to Sevilla is the Via Augusta and Gijon is shown as a town on the Norte. Of course, it may be interesting to speculate on how the Roman road went north to its conclusion to Gijon, if that was its original end. I am wondering whether one of the current secondary roads going north from Benavente to Leon might have been a route of an original Roman road, connecting with the Primitivo northbound. Its lots of fun to speculate and to look for available information.
From Astorga (Asturica Augusta) the Roman road (either XXXII or XXXIV) went to somewhere between Santas Marta (Palantia II) and Sahagun (Camala) where it crossed Roman Road I which went to Leon (Legio VII Gemina). From there Roman road XXXIX went north through Lugo de Llanera (Lucus Asturum) to Gijon (Gigia).

At least that's what I can see here: https://prnt.sc/tzni5r
Full map: https://sashamaps.net/images/roman_roads_iberia_v2.5_140.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From Astorga (Asturica Augusta) the Roman road (either XXXII or XXXIV) went to somewhere between Santas Marta (Palantia II) and Sahagun (Camala) where it crossed Roman Road I which went to Leon (Legio VII Gemina). From there Roman road XXXIX went north through Lugo de Llanera (Lucus Asturum) to Gijon (Gigia).

At least that's what I can see here: https://prnt.sc/tzni5r
Full map: https://sashamaps.net/images/roman_roads_iberia_v2.5_140.png
Thank you. I have seen these maps, but I cannot connect them with anything on the current map of Spain, except that I noticed, by chance, Segovia, if that is the same city of that name which I visited last fall (obviously a Roman city). I would need quite a few points of connection before I could speculate that this was the same road that is currently going from here to there, which is what I am interested in. This looks more like a map of a transit system, and misses all the detail of actual roads. Not to say that it could not make more sense to the more knowledgeable.

Thank you. I have seen these maps, but I cannot connect them with anything on the current map of Spain, except that I noticed, by chance, Segovia, if that is the same city of that name which I visited last fall (obviously a Roman city). I would need quite a few points of connection before I could speculate that this was the same road that is currently going from here to there, which is what I am interested in. This looks more like a map of a transit system, and misses all the detail of actual roads. Not to say that it could not make more sense to the more knowledgeable.
The Leon - Gijon on the Roman roads would mostly overlap with today Camino del Salvador. Roughly:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll have more to say re the VdlP...now it's waaaay past my bedtime. Maybe in another thread to keep from cluttering up this one.
But~
The Leon - Gijon on the Roman roads would mostly overlap with today Camino del Salvador. Roughly:
Yes, as I said in my post, and as the links indicate.

This looks more like a map of a transit system, and misses all the detail of actual roads.
Indeed. It's not much use on the ground. @Albertagirl, you might be interested to check out the Swedish link in the thread about Roman roads that's active right now. https://dh.gu.se/dare/
Not to say that it could not make more sense to the more knowledgable.
It's different kind of data. Personally, I think it has lost most of the most interesting and useful information.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The local Sisters on their evening stroll.
I stay here on purpose just to join their evening devotional. It's a real joy.

I'm off for a road trip around my other great love, Iceland.
May you have a wonderful time, John!
You better post on the local 'where did you walk today' thread! Pretty please? 🙏 🙏 🙏
Iceland has been on my list for decades, though obviously it's not as high as Spain, so I'll probably never get there except as a transit passenger in the aìrport.

So another photo of the bridge at Taboada, on the Invierno after it merges with the Sanabres. I can't begin to imagine all the small dramas and everyday events these stones have seen.

Attachments

• 20190614_111618.jpg
    20190614_111618.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 16
Camino del Norte- 27th, May, 2018 Having left Gijon on our way to Aviles, we pass the very large Steel Plant, which goes on for a number of kilometres, eventually the road/path turns away from the Plant and winds up the hillside known as Monte de Areo. This was taken on a wall in the vicinity. A stark contrast to the very large Steel Plant. I thought this was a better photo than the Plant. ;)
20180527_090832.jpg

26th August 2016:

Camino San Salvador. Just beyond Poladura de la Tercia on the way to the Cruz de San Salvador. The night before I was in Buiza and we had experienced the most spectacular electrical storm, so while it was still raining off and on, I was happy to be able to continue on to Pajares :) 🌂

Mountains in the rain 26082016.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not a very clear picture of La Virgen Blanca in Tudela but the simplicity of the statue really touched me.

More info here.

Attachments

• Cathedral Tudela.jpg
    Cathedral Tudela.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 18
I stay here on purpose just to join their evening devotional. It's a real joy.

May you have a wonderful time, John!
You better post on the local 'where did you walk today' thread! Pretty please? 🙏 🙏 🙏
Iceland has been on my list for decades, though obviously it's not as high as Spain, so I'll probably never get there except as a transit passenger in the aìrport.

So another photo of the bridge at Taboada, on the Invierno after it merges with the Sanabres. I can't begin to imagine all the small dramas and everyday events these stones have seen.

Ah, I was unaware of that thread! I'll see what I can do.

As for Iceland, I've been 11 times in the last eight years, including a five-month stay in 2018.

It's rather special there.

€149,-
@VNwalking you started the original thread, perhaps time to start Round 3?
Maybe...please hang on a sec and I'll ask: is anyone out there having trouble with the thread loading slowly? If so, I'm happy to start round 3.

(I will admit a mild preference to have all the photos on one place, because that way it's easier to revisit old posts.)

Maybe...please hang on a sec and I'll ask: is anyone out there having trouble with the thread loading slowly? If so, I'm happy to start round 3.

(I will admit a mild preference to have all the photos on one place, because that way it's easier to revisit old posts.)
No problem, because most of the photos in posts are thumbnails. That makes it faster to upload the whole thread.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was told to look out for palm trees, which were often planted near of people who had come back from the Americas. You can see them in Pais Vasco, too.
I had always heard that if a home had a palm tree in their yard on the caminos in the north of Spain it was a status symbol to show wealth. I did notice they always seemed to be on very nice properties.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just another summer morning.
(Outside of Itero de la Vega)

[And it seems the consensus is to continue this thread as is. Please keep posting thumbnails to keep the loading quick for everyone. Thank you all for the ongoing beauty, whimsy, grandeur, and memories. Your photos are a real lift each day!]

Attachments

• 20190601_073613 (2).jpg
    20190601_073613 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

€149,-
On the Norte in Bilbao at the pension we stayed at. After walking a fairly long day we had to climb five flights of stairs to get to our room. It seemed a bad joke as I was so tired, but knew there was a bed waiting for me at the top.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-082639~2.png
    Screenshot_20200817-082639~2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A beast of a bridge being built on the Primitivo, not too far past Oviedo...amazing what man can accomplish.

Isn’t that outside of Cornellana, Chrissy? I remember getting lost there once when construction was in full force, and I wound up walking a loop that took me into some other little town — even though it was my third time through!

Here’s similar engineering feat, from Ponte Ulla on the Sanabrés, last stage into Santiago.

Three levels across the River Ulla — the old stone bridge, the “regular” train bridge, and now that gleaming AVE bridge.

Attachments

• 45D6A77B-E43D-4F56-A35F-9CA710452E12.jpeg
    45D6A77B-E43D-4F56-A35F-9CA710452E12.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 19
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Isn’t that outside of Cornellana, Chrissy? I remember getting lost there once when construction was in full force, and I wound up walking a loop that took me into some other little town — even though it was my third time through!

Here’s similar engineering feat, from Ponte Ulla on the Sanabrés, last stage into Santiago.

Three levels across the River Ulla — the old stone bridge, the “regular” train bridge, and now that gleaming AVE bridge.
I'm at the grocery store and will check when I get home. I am not addicted to the forum...no, not me.😄

Isn’t that outside of Cornellana, Chrissy?
Laurie, you are amazing with your memory! Yes, it was shortly before arriving at Cornellana, where we spent the night at the ancient monastery ruins. They had renovated a small section for pilgrims and it was top notch. We met a few memorable pilgrims staying there as we were a small group and shared a remarkable dinner together in town which ended with this fabulous dessert.
A couple of photos...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-131103~2.png
    Screenshot_20200817-131103~2.png
    933.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200817-132035~2.png
    Screenshot_20200817-132035~2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200817-132130~2.png
    Screenshot_20200817-132130~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Today I post another of my pictures of people taking a break along the way. The rest area is the Fuente de Praotorre between Rabé de las Calzadas and Hornillos del Camino. (The link will lead to a Google map and to other pictures.)

resting-on-the-way.jpg

Speaking of The Way, this location appears in the movie somewhere around the 1h 30m mark depending on the version of the film (the embedded YouTube video below starts at 1h 33m 45s). It was filmed in the autumn; my picture was taken in the spring. The location sequence in the film and in a real camino do not match.

We were talking about The Way?
I'm glad I missed it. 🙃

A whimsical peregrino, next to the Hospital Santiago Apostal in Oron, on the Vasco.
I have to admit to the truth of this...some days on the camino the body does feel like that.

Attachments

• 20190526_083822.jpg
    20190526_083822.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190526_083854.jpg
    20190526_083854.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back