• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

One Day at a time, One Photo at a Time (Part 3)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
On this day in 2012, between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega - a misty foggy morning through the forest passing the Monument to the Fallen, those executed during the Civil War. A morning strong in my memory. I didn't know about the monument until I came to it, but well before the place, the atmosphere was hushed and reflective with most people - even those in groups - moving into walking solo, quietly.

View attachment 83222
Oh my goodness, how I remember that section. Try what it is like in Culloden, Scotland, sometime. And yes, a superb photo.

Lexicos

Jim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
Camino Portuguese 2019
All credit to your artistic eye for a great photo of pilgrims in the mist and mountains in the background. Lovely shot!

Last edited:

Lexicos

Jim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
Camino Portuguese 2019
It absolutely captures the spirit of the Camino.

Last edited:

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
I’ve used it for my phone screen. I hope that's OK.
All credit to your artistic eye.

Hi @Lexicos, I want to thank you for your kind compliments about my photo - they are appreciated! For the future though, I do feel the need to point out Forum Rule 12 re: the use and uploading of other's photos. I have had people request the use of my photos before and so far have been fine with it. It's really about the courtesy of asking and stating the purpose of the use first.

12) For photos uploaded to the forum (including the Photo section) the following rules apply:
  • Photos uploaded to the forum is the property of the person who took the photo.
  • Please only upload photos that are your own.
  • To use these photos in any other way, please contact the person who took the photo for permission.

Camino(s) past & future
CF14
LePuy/CF(21?)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
GGW StCuthWay HadrWall CotswoldWay19
Camino Frances- 19th, September, 2014 Villares de Orbigo to Murias de Rechivaldo. Iglesia San Esteban, Murias de Rechivaldo. We got a stamp here and enjoyed visiting this local parish church with very large stork's nest on top of bell tower!
19 Sep #12 1755hrs Murias de Rechivaldo local church where we got a stamp.JPG

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
A view back towards Ponferrada and the northern Bierzo on the first day of the Invierno.
Looking in much the same direction from a little higher up on the same stage out of Ponferrada on the Invierno. This view is from "el banco más bonito del Bierzo" near Cornatel Castle.

Attachments

• DSC_0336.jpg
    DSC_0336.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

JohnLloyd

Author of "Go Your Own Way"
Camino(s) past & future
Francés - SJPDP to SdC - Autumn 2018
Portugués - Porto to SdC - Spring 2019
Francés again - ASAP
This may well be my last contribution to this thread, as I've now reached the end of my pictures from both of my Caminos.

By chance, the celebratory dinner for my Portugués was held at the same place I'd whooped it up at the end of my Francés.

It was quite a night, on both occasions.

One day, I'll walk to Santiago again, and I know which restaurant I'll visit when I get there.

Attachments

• 2019-05-08 20.06.37.jpg
    2019-05-08 20.06.37.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 17

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Hi Theatregirl. My apologies. I wasn't aware of the rule. It's a good rule and it makes sense of course. I shall remove. Thanks for pointing it out.
I also posted someone else's photo in ignorance too, as I'd not read the forum rules for a long time. I appreciated being reminded by a mod.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Aljaferia in Zaragoza. Camino del Ebro.

Nicer from the outside than inside.

Attachments

• Aljaferia.jpg
    Aljaferia.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 11

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Inspired by Sabine's and Rick's posts yesterday,
I see your six and raise you...uhhh, I lose count. 🙃

The forest of signs on the Invierno near Sion; the panoramic view of both sides of the road doesn't really capture the impact.
It was impressive. Fortunately the yellow arrow cuts through all the clutter very nicely.
Just. Go. Straight.

Attachments

• 20190610_132726 (2).jpg
    20190610_132726 (2).jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
This may well be my last contribution to this thread, as I've now reached the end of my pictures from both of my Caminos.

By chance, the celebratory dinner for my Portugués was held at the same place I'd whooped it up at the end of my Francés.

It was quite a night, on both occasions.

One day, I'll walk to Santiago again, and I know which restaurant I'll visit when I get there.
That was where the group of us who banded together, very loosely, on the Portugués, met up for dinner. It was very enjoyable, plenty of space for everyone and not at all expensive. The following evening we hosted anyone still around in the kitchen of the Last Stamp, another treasure we discovered that time. It was Casa Pasta, a winner every time!!! I have very few photos but it is a joy to keep seeing those posted, so don’t sign out of the thread!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
If you start all over again we can enjoy them a second time. Seriously...just a thought.
;)

Camino(s) past & future
CF14
LePuy/CF(21?)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
Camino Frances- 22nd, September, 2014 Molinaseca to Cacabelos. Our first really rainy day on this Camino. Walking through Ponferrada. We couldn't stay in Ponferrada this time as our walk coincided with the World Team Cycling Competition being held in and around Ponferrada. In fact we stayed in the same hotel in Cacabelos with the Azerbaijani cycling team! We had to negotiate many detours around Ponferrada to safely get to Cacabelos.
22 Sep #3 0912hrs Ponferrada Templar Castle in the rain.JPG

roving_rufus

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
On Camino Portugues in Porto in 2017- sunset with cathedral .This was on the 23rd which was a rest day due to injury and this is the view from my hostel balcony - were I spent several hours with my ankle up. (And it wasn't a fall due to Port going to my head)
IMAG2679.jpg

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Back to Pancorbo on the Via de Bayona again. This is from a little above the village, heading to the rock formation at the left, where there is the remains of a fortress. The whole place is incredibly photogenic.

Attachments

• 20190526_172157.jpg
    20190526_172157.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
That long stretch without services between Carrión de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza on an extremely windy, chilly, sometimes drizzly day - 4 of us find a picnic table for a lunch stop - others arrive, 5...6 & 7... soon there are 8, cozy around the table with everyone sharing whatever food they have in their packs.

sharing lunch.jpg

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF14
LePuy/CF(21?)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
Camino Frances- 26th, September, 2014 Triacastela to Sarria. We were very fortunate to be entertained by this local Sarria Youth Band beside the Rio Sarria, while having dinner. We only took videos, so have taken a screen shot of them. They were excellent. The young man with his back to us standing was playing the Galician Pipes. It was a wonderful experience.
26 Sep #1 Sarria music clip screenShot.JPG

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Saturday 26 September 2015 : my second last day on the Camino. I stayed in Arzua, it was very quiet for a town so close to Santiago. I left early the next morning (a Sunday) just as the church bells started ringing, as I was on the bike I followed the N547. I arrived at Santiago at around 1.00 pm (13.00)

Nikolaus

Camino(s) past & future
1989 Camino Francés
2019 - ? St Olav Way (Dortmund > Trondheim) in stages
2021 The Aachen Pilgrimage
A enigmatic town exit sign near Dortmund, Germany, just after setting off on the St Olav Way to Trondheim, Norway. A cold, rainy day.

Where do I come from?
Where am I going?

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_144814 - km3 Schnee.jpg
    IMG_20190505_144814 - km3 Schnee.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 24

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I enjoy seeing this photo @VNwalking because this was the day I took the wrong turn out of Las Medulas and entered Puente de Domingo Florez in a different part of town from another direction!
Well...here is another bit, then, from quite a way farther up, though after where you turned off to Yeres, looking in that direction. In fact, the road in the photo may actually be the one you took:

Attachments

• 20190605_080911.jpg
    20190605_080911.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11

Nikolaus

Camino(s) past & future
1989 Camino Francés
2019 - ? St Olav Way (Dortmund > Trondheim) in stages
2021 The Aachen Pilgrimage
Camino(s) past & future
Past? Not enough.
Future? Sure!
28th, September, 2017 Voie de Vézelay.
When you arrive in the département des Landes, from Bazas to Mont-de-Marsan, you have to follow an old train line from WWII: around 50 km of almost straight line in the forest.
The picture is taken when going out of Captieux, in some places they simply cut the tracks instead of removing them.
20170928_080839.jpg20170928_080839.jpg

peregrina2000

Staff member
Not far from Valdorria, just off the Olvidado between Boñar and Vegacervera, near where San Froilán (with help from his pet wolf, whom he'd tamed after the latter chomped his mule) built his León mountain hermitage.

I didn’t make it up to the hermitage (Alan, just another detour for me to follow in your footsteps some day), but I clearly remember cresting the hill, huffing and puffing, with pretty valleys behind us, and seeing the mountains right there in front of us — one of those amazing too-good-to-be-true moments. Pictures just can’t capture the magnificence.

@Pruden is there now, and he has an Olvidado thread going with some of these same views.

Attachments

• 83D84FB0-C056-4943-8BF9-EE37F7C8F86A.jpeg
    83D84FB0-C056-4943-8BF9-EE37F7C8F86A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12

CaminoDebrita

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
IMG_2521.jpg

I've eaten those before with you! Sure, I'd love some! Let me go grab a beer with lemon, and let's just sit and chat for a while. I am so glad to be back on Camino. I have six weeks this time!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Wow, welcome to our table, @Wokabaut_Meri! Long time no see. ☺
Then there's all those zero calories pastries in Burgos... can smell the café con leche from here ☕
OMG yes.
Melide, what I indulged in while everyone else was down the street eating pulpo.

Attachments

• IMG_8721 (2).JPG
    IMG_8721 (2).JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 17

Advertisement

Booking.com