• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Day at a time, One Photo at a Time (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
A few of us can now think of walking or are even out there on the camino, while the rest of us can only wait, and cultivate patience

Rounds one and two of this thread have allowed us all a chance to turn towards the happy memories day by day, and to share the gift of walking even when we cannot actually be there.

So here is round three! Share the joy, sorrow, struggle and humor: one photo per day from any camino. Please post thumbnails in order to keep the thread to a manageable size for those of us with slow connections.

I'll start this round with a fond memory of the Tertulia, a favorite haunt in Santiago. Tea. Real tea...and a wonderful place to gather with friends after a camino. Or for breakfast before setting off for Finisterre.

Attachments

• 20150414_201907.jpg
    20150414_201907.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 366
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rick of Rick and Peg. Here is our photo from 7th, September, 2014 of the same drawing you posted yesterday. We thought it was an allegorical representation of a Pilgrim, with three other Pilgrim characters at his waist and another carried at his left shoulder, but the staff and what appears to be a hat with a hole at the crown, carried on the left arm, suggests a Pilgrim. But would be interested if anyone has a more authoritative understanding or different interpretation.
7 Sep #9 Burgos Cathedral A pilgrim query.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fuentibre, the source of the Ebro. The miniature statue is of the Virgen del Pilar, from Zaragoza, several 100km downstream. On the Ruta de los Faramontes, which I walked to get between the Olvidado and the Norte.

Attachments

• DSC_0666.jpg
    DSC_0666.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 205
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Breakfast on the Portugues 2015.
Two bottles of water, a pastry and a coffee for 2.60 € ( that year ).. I know you can't compare income and economical situation of two countries but I felt a bit uneasy paying so little...

Attachments

• Portugues breakfast.jpg
    Portugues breakfast.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On this day in 2012, I was about to have a very good night here, in the company of Síninn and his motley crew, enjoying a battered VHS copy of "The Way" playing on loop in a corner too.

Attachments

• 41358652_10156494998111113_8561851836665954304_o.jpg
    41358652_10156494998111113_8561851836665954304_o.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 184
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Iglesia de Santiago in Pancorbo on the Via de Bayona.
This little town is a gem in its own right but set as it is in such a dramatic landscape...the wow factor is impressive. Somehow the nearby Autopista and Carretera - not to mention the rail corridor that actually goes through the village - don't significantly detract from it.

Attachments

• 20190526_131310.jpg
    20190526_131310.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The very relaxing and wild back garden of El Beso albergue, past Tracastella. They have some enormous chestnut trees, but the stars of the show in early April were the blooming fruit trees.

Attachments

• 20150407_193051.jpg
    20150407_193051.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 94
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I loved the Ebro Camino from Vinaros to Logrono, five years ago. Beautiful mountain scenery, and a good footpath through multiple tunnels where once a train line had run.

I also loved that route, though I detoured off onto the Castellano-Aragonés two days after Zaragoza. My picture is from the day before Stephen’s, right before that walk the describes that goes through train tunnels.

Attachments

• D6A35198-B3F3-4451-A766-922A2F63BD7E.jpeg
    D6A35198-B3F3-4451-A766-922A2F63BD7E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Coming out of a foresttrack and walking into this industrial park. Enormous gasstation, perfect for coffee to tackle the last five k's into Santiago de Compostela. Camino Ingles 2018.
I love these transitions from idyllic landscapes on a Camino back into the reality of working life!

Attachments

• last k's Ingles.jpg
    last k's Ingles.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 102
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also loved that route, though I detoured off onto the Castellano-Aragonés two days after Zaragoza. My picture is from the day before Stephen’s, right before that walk the describes that goes through train tunnels.
I remember that so well! But on my camino it was a misty morning, and quite difficult to see the river until about 11 a.m. Such happy memories.

€46,-
It fascinates me that there is this big exuberantly untamed green space so close to the old centre of Santiago. It's always a joy to take the lane through it, going from Rua San Clemente to Rua das Hortas.
This - and the park below the Pilgrims' Office where people exercise their dogs - are a lovely break from the touristic vibe of much of the old town; they both feel completely 'normal.'

Attachments

• 20180707_184359.jpg
    20180707_184359.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 86
Camino Frances- As we only have a couple of photos of myself( Anne) and another pilgrim, from Portland, Oregon who we met often along the way and we were staying at the same Albergue in Terradillos de los Templarios, Albergue Los Templarios on the 12th, September, 2014, why we didn't take more photos that day I don't know! I do remember it being very hot and it seemed quite a long walk along the Calzada Romana, so maybe we didn't feel like taking any photos!
Will post a photo from the evening before in Carrion de los Condes.
Entrance, choir and organ of Iglesia de Santa Maria del Camino XIIthC.
11 Sep #32 Carrion de los Condes Choir and organ of Santa Maria el camino.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€46,-
I still don't know how to explain it.
:confused:
Welcome to the twilight zone, where nothing makes sense anymore. Well, if it's any consolation you're in good company - we're all on this crazy planet together.

So today from the Valcarlos way up to Roncesvalles, March 2015.

Attachments

• 20150310_154855.jpg
    20150310_154855.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 86

€46,-
Those typical tiles. Somewhere on the Camino Ingles.
Abegondo I think, 15 kms from A Coruna. Happy memories. I walked it in 2014. Here's a picture of the very first camino marker in A Coruna port.
DSCF6505.JPG

When will we be able to return I wonder?
Blessings from East Anglia.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
13 September 2016 - Azambuja - Porto de Muge then onto Santarem. Love the Portuguese architecture. We started our trip in Lisboa a few days earlier - my blog - Camino Portuguese – wayfinding nightmare and blistering heat - sums up our initial few days on the ever-changing tracks.
IMG_3472.jpgIMG_3449.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A pleasant inland beach on the Ebro reservoir on the Camino Olvidado, with the foothills of the Picos de Europa in the distance. Water a bit chilly for a dip last November, but well worth it.

Attachments

• ebroemb.JPG
    ebroemb.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 77
Don't expect @Theatregal bird photo quality.
Well, maybe not, but I can tell it's a Chaffinch.
There's only so much you can do with a phone and small distant birds.
(BTW, maybe no-one noticed but I sneaked a bird photo in a few rounds ago, too, also not @Theatregal quality - the one from the Iglesia de Santiago in Pancorbo on the Vasco. It has the usual crowd of swallows, one of which photo-bombed the church.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There's only so much you can do with a phone and small distant birds.
On the CF I used an inexpensive point and shoot camera with a mild zoom. Occasionally I would put its SD card into a tablet, pick a few pictures (not always my best), use my fingers to zoom, move and crop and then take a screenshot of 1024x600. Good thing. I swapped cards once I got to Galicia. Later, in Muxia, I found that my first card had snapped. Of perhaps 4,000 pictures taken on that first card I have maybe 500-600 from the tablet's memory.

I had a few choice words to say when I discovered the snap in the card but I got over it in about 5 minutes when I realized that I had thousands of slides that hadn't been looked at in decades.

The garden at the Albergue Abadía Cisterciense, Santo Domingo de la Calzada. A favourite memorable place to stay. A very organized, stern place - I loved it. I did get lost trying to find my bed in a tiny 3 bed room along a maze of passages and stairs and side rooms - I remember thinking, "if there's a fire".... But I had such a good deep sleep there.

Santo Domingo.jpg

Last edited:
(BTW, maybe no-one noticed but I sneaked a bird photo in a few rounds ago, too, also not @Theatregal quality - the one from the Iglesia de Santiago in Pancorbo on the Vasco.

I did notice that bird. Perfectly positioned in flight next to the the bell tower. The kind of shot I'll wait forever to take. :)

Another of my bird pictures. Don't expect @Theatregal bird photo quality.

I don't have many good bird shots on the camino. Usually using my phone or a small point and shoot camera when I'm walking which are great for big birds like storks - but not so much for little birds :) A pretty photo though @Rick of Rick and Peg - the light and the perspective of the little bird on the hay bale.

The garden at the Albergue Abadía Cisterciense, Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Oh! I missed this, intent as I was to get to Grañon. It sounds like my kind of place, under the umbrella of monastics. I pray these sisters have been spared the terrible toll of covid-19 in SDdlC.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Rick, to avoid the mid-day heat we walked out before dawn, so I really never got to see the track. Loved the way you managed to capture the ice.
Thanks for the thanks but that was @VNwalking's post and picture. She just quoted me and you caught my name from that.

refreshing horchata
I learned something today.
Horchata is made with 'tiger nuts,' which are not nuts at all but the roots of a sedge (of all things).
These were an eye-opener:
If you're walking the Levante, you're in Chufa ground zero. I can't resist also posting this in the virtual Levante thread.

This from the Ingles, somewhere on the first day out of A Coruña.
I wasn't particularly looking for miracles, but had a few questions about the cage. 🙃

Attachments

• IMG_0021 (2).JPG
    IMG_0021 (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
I learned something today.
Horchata is made with 'tiger nuts,' which are not nuts at all but the roots of a sedge (of all things).
These were an eye-opener:
If you're walking the Levante, you're in Chufa ground zero. I can't resist also posting this in the virtual Levante thread.

This from the Ingles, somewhere on the first day out of A Coruña.
I wasn't particularly looking for miracles, but had a few questions about the cage. 🙃

Now this song is rolling around in my head.

€60,-
On this day in 2012, between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega - a misty foggy morning through the forest passing the Monument to the Fallen, those executed during the Civil War. A morning strong in my memory. I didn't know about the monument until I came to it, but well before the place, the atmosphere was hushed and reflective with most people - even those in groups - moving into walking solo, quietly.

quiet.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back