• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Day at a time, One Photo at a Time (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Would be interesting, but what about a house belonging to an irish person who loves Blues music. Not very inventive, but let’s see if you draw more exotic possibilities, Sabine!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On every Camino there is always a night when I treat myself to luxury. Ever since I started my first Camino my parents gave me an amount " to get you a decent treat ". Quite sweet and really not needed seeing I'm already in the working force for 29 years. But still a nice gesture.
So from the Camino Portugues in 2015 in Ponte de Lima.
Nice staff and good breakfast.
Did not see the spa.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1601412672099.jpg
    FB_IMG_1601412672099.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 21
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, I never realized it was so big! I must not have looked back after finishing the watermelon he gave me when I looked back.
I think, over the years (since 2012) there have been alterations to the structures there. I've seen photos and references on the forum since then that don't seem to show the larger barn part.

best decision ever
Thanks for posting the pic of such a gorgeous place, Chris.
Encore! One a day, please. 🙃

My contribution for the day is...(I have no idea until I go into my photo files and see what grabs me today)...

I may have posted this already - if so please forgive me. Walking into a rainstorm close to Portomarin - we pilgrims have it easy as compared with dairy farmers in Galicia...we go home, but they have to work in the rain year in year out.

Attachments

• Saria-Portomarin (11).JPG
    Saria-Portomarin (11).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
so if we comment on someone else's pictures it counts against us?
Not if you keep giving us gorgeous photos like that, it doesn't! :)
I meant the one a day comment as an encouragement for similar photos, every day. I'm sorry if I was not clear.
(It is natural that there is some back and forth, but first we need the photos...they are the point.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A hearty empanada somewhere in between Santiago and Finisterre.
Notice the toytruck that I had to guard.
That day I met a young German couple with a toddler in a stroller. They took longer breaks so the child could do some playing and running around.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1601412456768.jpg
    FB_IMG_1601412456768.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 18
Stephen, that's an amazing display you have offered us! Wow.
And Sabine is sharing her empanada as we hang out with @Ann&Pat by the Rio Tejo.
I'm feeling a lot of gratitude in this moment for the collective sharing and all the wonder this post is giving us. Thank you, each one!

In 2017, four of the Baztan Five met up in Irun-Hendaye and spent the first day together walking from there up towards Bayonne along the Voie Littoral. By about here, I imagine they were getting tired of me blathering on and on about how amazing the rock formations were. Looking back towards Irun from somewhere before
St. Jean de Luz.

Attachments

• IMG_4120 (2).JPG
    IMG_4120 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The small waiting room of the Centro de Salud in Azofra on the Camino Frances. The friendly hospi absolutely wanted me to see a GP because of an infected toenail ( I was not worried seeing this big toe issue comes back regularly due to my hallux valgus ). But to the clinic I went. GP and nurse were wonderful and joked around with a big bottle of Iso Betadine :cool: .
Another one of my " daily life " pics...

Attachments

• Centro de Salud.jpg
    Centro de Salud.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2017, four of the Baztan Five met up in Irun-Hendaye and spent the first day together walking from there up towards Bayonne along the Voie Littoral. By about here, I imagine they were getting tired of me blathering on and on about how amazing the rock formations were. Looking back towards Irun from somewhere before
St. Jean de Luz.

I was with you and I don’t remember any blathering. But I do remember being amazed, too. BTW, there is a stretch on the Norte, the Ruta del Flysch, which has similar amazing rock formations. Well, it’s not exactly on the Norte, it’s about two kms away from the camino, on the coast between Zumaia and Deba. Which means that most people sadly miss it!

Attachments

• 8C14B15C-1249-4DF6-B333-7F2E26D2EF93.jpeg
    8C14B15C-1249-4DF6-B333-7F2E26D2EF93.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 23
I was with you and I don’t remember any blathering. But I do remember being amazed, too. BTW, there is a stretch on the Norte, the Ruta del Flysch, which has similar amazing rock formations. Well, it’s not exactly on the Norte, it’s about two kms away from the camino, on the coast between Zumaia and Deba. Which means that most people sadly miss it!
We sadly missed it Laurie, what an amazing coastline! It actually started to pour rain later in the morning the day we walked from Zarautz to Deba. The entrance to Deba was quite treacherous on the cobbles going down to the town. We were pleased to see the elevators!! Thank you for your photo.

Last edited:
Ruta del Flysch
Those are world famous rocks. ☺
Seriously. If you want to poke your finger in the layer of stuff left after the asteroid did in the dinos (the 'K-T boundary') you can do it there - and there is more!

It's part of the Basque Coast Geopark:
"[Zumaia] has two beaches (Itzurun and Santiago), which are of interest to geologists because they are situated among the longest set of continuous rock strata in the world. Known locally as the "flysch" they date from the mid-cretaceous period to the present, a time period of over 100 million years. The K-T boundary is present at the Itzurun beach, and fossils can be found, notably of ammonites. The strata stretches along a distance of about 8 km, between the towns/beaches of Deba and Getaria, with Zumaia lying in the middle."
(Quoted text From Wikipedia, image below from https://www.geo.vu.nl/~smit/biscaye/zumaya/zumaya4000_75.jpg)

zumaya4000_75.jpg

Those are world famous rocks. ☺
Seriously. If you want to poke your finger in the layer of stuff left after the asteroid did in the dinos (the 'K-T boundary') you can do it there - and there is more!

It's part of the Basque Coast Geopark:
"[Zumaia] has two beaches (Itzurun and Santiago), which are of interest to geologists because they are situated among the longest set of continuous rock strata in the world. Known locally as the "flysch" they date from the mid-cretaceous period to the present, a time period of over 100 million years. The K-T boundary is present at the Itzurun beach, and fossils can be found, notably of ammonites. The strata stretches along a distance of about 8 km, between the towns/beaches of Deba and Getaria, with Zumaia lying in the middle."
(Quoted text From Wikipedia, image below from https://www.geo.vu.nl/~smit/biscaye/zumaya/zumaya4000_75.jpg)

View attachment 84579
I remember the first time I walked the Norte, in Villaviciosa, we met an American Geology professor who had just finished taking a bunch of undergraduates to somewhere in the UK and was now having his own geology tour in Spain. I asked him why he didn’t just bring the undergraduates to Spain and he told me that this geology was way too complicated for his undergraduates. It is just gorgeous, but apparently very complex.

Last edited:
Those are world famous rocks.
Thank you for posting this fascinating information about the flysch coastline. I had not realised how spectacular the outcrops actually are. The Norte is definitely going on my bucket list.
The exposures at Zumaia were important in the early controversy surrounding the Alvarez theory about the KT boundary extinction. Dr Peter Ward, an eminent palaeontologist from the University of Washington, was one of the initial sceptics. By coincidence he had been collecting ammonite specimens from Zumaia Beach about the time that the Alvarez theory was published. His criticism was that the evidence at Zumaia indicated a gradual dying out of the ammonites before the KT boundary, not a sudden extinction event. He later reversed his opinion after extensive investigation of the exposures, and those at near Hendaye.
Ward Zumaia.jpg

What book is that from, Paul?
OK, so back on track, sort of, but in the same vein...sorry for the diversion...
St. Jean de Luz, on the Voie Littoral, between Bayonne and Hendaye. We had a very satisfactory lunch just across the street from here. I wish I had known about those KT boundary deposits near Hendaye at the time...

The gorgeous wooden boards with the yellow flecha on the Camino Vasco Interior.
And no graffiti! 😊

Attachments

• IMG_4139.JPG
    IMG_4139.JPG
    916.3 KB · Views: 16
Camino Portuguese- May 2016. Tui to Porrino. Having left Tui the path continues to the medieval bridge over the Rio Louro, Ponte da Veiga, but the path doesn't cross the bridge, it goes to the left and along the Via Romana XIX. This fountain was in this vicinity.
P5214158.JPG

Ibañeta pass, 2020-10-07.
The day before, the weather forecasts were announcing bad weather, with a lot of rain. I was coming from Vézelay and during the discussion with a pilgrim friend, I decided to take a rest day and he went over the Napoleon road. In the evening he called me and told that forecasts have been right: rain, rain and more rain.
Next day, I started to walk towards Valcarlos in in a cold, moist fog. After about one hour, emerging from the mist, I found a marvelous autumn day: nice temperature, sunny, everything the pilgrim can ask for!

20171007_132709.jpg

Drying laundry across the upper floor stairwell in the Guesthouse Frade in O Cebreiro

View attachment 84639
We had to do the same with our laundry in our accommodation, Pension Kaixo, in San Sebastian in 2018 on the Camino del Norte. It was over the light well and quite high up of the ground. Unfortunately, we didn't take any photos! Luckily nothing fell off!

We had to do the same with our laundry in our accommodation, Pension Kaixo, in San Sebastian in 2018 on the Camino del Norte. It was over the light well and quite high up of the ground. Unfortunately, we didn't take any photos! Luckily nothing fell off!
:) It was such an efficient system for drying the sheets - especially as it was a chilly rainy day! There was a fire in the wood stove in the room below so heat was rising. There was something so aesthetically pleasing about it!

Hope we haven't posted these before!
Nope! The 2nd one clearly shows the whole sweep of coast between Hendaye and St Jean de Luz. Lovely.

I also don't I also don't know if I posted this before. The off-road path between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles is really very special.

Attachments

• 20150310_152321.jpg
    20150310_152321.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

€60,-
The octogenal church in Torres del Rio. Not the best quality picture. Camino Frances in 2011.

Wonderful church. Such simplicity. Devoid of any architectural distraction.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1602008679595.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602008679595.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
There was a café open.
Ahhh, that day...Tuesday in Monasterio de Rodilla! (Word to the wise - absolutely everything is closed, including the albergue.)

Villavieja on the Invierno. I was trying to imagine the bustling place it must have once been when it was the village for all the people who kept the nearby castle going. Now it is extremely quiet, and well off the beaten track.

Attachments

• 20190603_125515.jpg
    20190603_125515.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201011-063930~2.png
    Screenshot_20201011-063930~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
I absolutely LOVE the millions of poppies to be seen on camino. My note for this picture reads "I don't know about Flanders fields, but the poppies sure grow in Monzalbarba fields." Taken in May 2015. You have no idea how much I miss the camino!P1020785-001.JPG

€60,-
Sharing food on the Vasco Interior 2019. La Puebla de Arganzon.
One of those nondescript places from the outside, so typical for rural Spain. But when you get inside the comedor is full of life.
Always follow the locals and the workers when they go for lunch.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1601222151091.jpg
    FB_IMG_1601222151091.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 16

€60,-
☺ Thank you, @SabineP , for the lovely memory!

The amazing interior of the Parroquia de Santo Tomas in Haro, on the Vasco. This town is a day's walk from Santo Domingo de la Calzada on the Frances, well worth the detour - especially if you are interested in wine (I'm not, but loved it anyway!).

Attachments

• 20190525_111737.jpg
    20190525_111737.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back