• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Day at a time, One Photo at a Time (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of Catalonia in Castile and León; Saint George killing the dragon at Gaudí's Casa Botines in León.

Q07000-VER.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sometimes a photo triggers a search through my own photos, because it sparks a memory.
In this case, Sabine solved a small mystery of what that structure in the middle of the field is before Triacastella - Haha, I hadn't thought of a dovecote!

I am breaking my own rules, but I took two virtually identical photos of this dovecote, a year apart (because of amnesia, not on purpose:oops:). And I had never looked at them side by side. It is amazing, the difference time of day makes to how something appears.

(79).JPG IMG_8436.JPG⁹⁹

Last edited:
I am reminiscing about my Camí St. Jaume as Alan currently heads from Llança to Montserrat —this picture was taken on a little detour I took to visit the monastery of Sant Pere de Casseres, outside of Vic. It was a totally solitary walk (as was the whole camino, actually) through forests like these.

Attachments

• B51EE1CB-76C2-4272-BB99-ED0E426EE354.jpeg
    B51EE1CB-76C2-4272-BB99-ED0E426EE354.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 50
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A bit of Catalonia in Castile and León; Saint George killing the dragon at Gaudí's Casa Botines in León.

View attachment 84931

It always makes me smile - in the UK we have "St George and the Dragon" but in other places - especially Portugal - it's actually "St George and the Aligator"!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do others also see some pictures rather blurry? I uploaded mine from my phone and it is rather blurry as or some pictures from other posters.

Maybe it has something to do with the latest forum maintenance?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And for me, too!
Also the header options do not work. No bold or italic options!

Edit...Header options are now working properly!
Most of the options used to be toggled on and off with the cogwheel icon. Now that is replaced with the set of square brackets hidden in the rightmost vertical dot menu item.

Most of the options used to be toggled on and off with the cogwheel icon. Now that is replaced with the set of square brackets hidden in the rightmost vertical dot menu item.
Rick, you are always so helpful with techy stuff. You save Ivar lots of time...maybe he needs a new category for mods. You are just the guy!

Edit...I just inserted a screenshot on another thread, but I see no option for a full size option. Any ideas? Sometimes I have to "dumb down" my camera photos with a screenshot or they do not always "send".

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Edit...I just inserted a screenshot on another thread, but I see no option for a full size option. Any ideas? Sometimes I have to "dumb down" my camera photos with a screenshot or they do not always "send".
I see what you mean. The fix is easy. There are three ways to attach a photo. 1) Pick out the file(s) and then post the reply without doing anything to the picture(s) and that gets you what used to look like a cardboard mounted kodachrome slide. It looks different now but it still has text of file data attached to a small version of the picture. 2) Thumbnail if you pick that. 3) Full size if you pick that.

The way of choosing between 2 and 3 now is to choose the insert ... menu printed on the image on the top left and then choose thumbnail or full size. There is a delete icon on the top right also.

I attached my picture using method #1 that shows the initial look on the right (using a landscape shot) and the expanded menu on left (using the cartoon). The picture I attached was by not using the insert ... menu at all.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201014-091223~2.png
    Screenshot_20201014-091223~2.png
    344.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks, Rick! It works!
I see what you mean. The fix is easy. There are three ways to attach a photo. 1) Pick out the file(s) and then post the reply without doing anything to the picture(s) and that gets you what used to look like a cardboard mounted kodachrome slide. It looks different now but it still has text of file data attached to a small version of the picture. 2) Thumbnail if you pick that. 3) Full size if you pick that.

The way of choosing between 2 and 3 now is to choose the insert ... menu printed on the image on the top left and then choose thumbnail or full size. There is a delete icon on the top right also.

I attached my picture using method #1 that shows the initial look on the right (using a landscape shot) and the expanded menu on left (using the cartoon). The picture I attached was by not using the insert ... menu at all.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Rick!...It worked!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, Rick! It works!

Edit: The instructions below used to work. With the recent forum software upgrade they no longer do.

BTW, if you want to switch between a thumbnail and a full size image if you chose one or the other when you posted then choose the double bracket option with the rightmost dots menu and then edit the post. Your picture is identified with a number (I'll use 123). For a thumbnail use attach and for a full size picture use attach=full like in the box below.
Code:
[ATTACH]123[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]123[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Santiago. Early morning on Rúa Nova, sitting outside a café with my coffee. These elegant women on their way to...?

View attachment 85003
One thing that always makes a big impression on me as a traveler through Spain is how people in my age cohort are still very much a part of public life. That is sadly not the case where I live. It is true that our cities and towns have become much more “walkable,” much more alive, but I can’t even imagine seeing something like this in my own downtown.

And btw, maybe this has always been true and I just didn’t know it, but clicking on the thumbnail brings up a beautiful full size version of this picture. (I am just getting used to the new forum software, so maybe, like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I am discovering things that have always been there)

Hey! Where did your post go, Sabine???
ok, found it - I had not noticed it was 2 or 3 posts up...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One thing that always makes a big impression on me as a traveler through Spain is how people in my age cohort are still very much a part of public life. That is sadly not the case where I live. It is true that our cities and towns have become much more “walkable,” much more alive, but I can’t even imagine seeing something like this in my own downtown.

And btw, maybe this has always been true and I just didn’t know it, but clicking on the thumbnail brings up a beautiful full size version of this picture. (I am just getting used to the new forum software, so maybe, like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I am discovering things that have always been there)
One of the things that quickly became a favourite daily thing on the camino was village (or city) life in the evenings - going to the park or square and watching the evening paseo. I loved the multiple generation communal gathering and visiting - especially groups of elders meeting their friends, taking a stroll or just sitting on benches in conversation. As you say Laurie, "still very much a part of public life". It's just not a common thing at home.

I think we have a software glitch. The same set of photos appear again and again in posts by different contributors.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances- September, 2014 Beautiful children's play park in Fromista, with all ages enjoying a warm September evening, opposite where we were having dinner.

Posted this photo through Attach Files and didn't touch it, i.e. didn't touch insert. It posted as is and when you click on it once posted it goes to full size and is not blurred.

Attachments

• 10 Sep #20 1845hrs Beautiful children's play park and floral dispaly opposite restaurant.JPG
    10 Sep #20 1845hrs Beautiful children's play park and floral dispaly opposite restaurant.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 40

€83,-
I'm a cheater today. I'm posting more than one picture. I missed yesterday because of experimenting with the upgrade and posting here and there.

Last week, when looking through pictures to post here, I came across two pictures I had taken about five minutes apart with only a few meters between them (before Santo Domingo de Calzada on the CF). I liked both and really thought I had to post both but for comparison they had to be sent together. The first, earlier, one with the pilgrim in the foreground has the better compostion I think and shows a pilgrim as a happy wanderer. But the second has no foreground and the pilgrims are in the midground and shows them almost lost in the vastness of the meseta. I can't figure out which I like best. When you post your own picture please give me your thoughts.

foreground.jpgmidground.jpg

Why am I posting these pictures today instead of last week? I was trying to the double posting but then the other day @Mournes posted one from nearly the same place in the road. It can be seen at

( It also showed up at
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/on-this-date-in-october.68597/#post-877975 )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rua Hortas
A favorite street in Santiago.
Maybe it's the 'Hortas' part.
Or just that the crowd magically vanishes at the bottom of the steps at Rua das Carretas.
Once you get to the bottom, you're near the best breakfast place in Santiago — on the corner at Tertulia. This pic was taken in the evening, but it's wonderful all day. If you are missing good black tea this is the place to go. Just look for me sitting in the corner with my pot of Assam. 🙃

Attachments

• 20201016_152228.jpg
    20201016_152228.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
A favorite street in Santiago.
Maybe it's the 'Hortas' part.
Or just that the crowd magically vanishes at the bottom of the steps at Rua das Carretas.
Once you get to the bottom, you're near the best breakfast place in Santiago — on the corner at Tertulia. This pic was taken in the evening, but it's wonderful all day. If you are missing good black tea this is the place to go. Just look for me sitting in the corner with my pot of Assam. 🙃

I adore this place! I wonder how they manage now in these Covid times seeing inside it is rather small? Must mean they have to improvise alot to maintain social distance.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
BTW, if you want to switch between a thumbnail and a full size image if you chose one or the other when you posted then choose the double bracket option with the rightmost dots menu and then edit the post. Your picture is identified with a number (I'll use 123). For a thumbnail use attach and for a full size picture use attach=full like in the box below.
Code:
[ATTACH]123[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]123[/ATTACH]
I think I'll get my 6 year old grandson to explain that to me...... ;)

Well, a few weeks after I posted the last of my pictures from my two Caminos, thinking that was that for my participation in the thread, I'm back.

The circumstances in the outside world being as grim as they are, the desire to return to memories of happier times has become irresistible.

So, here is the first picture I took on my first Camino, which began like so many, in Biarritz.

I was struck by the sight of this little statuette in my Airbnb there, and I took it as a good omen that I had begun my journey in the home of someone who had such fine taste in comic-book history.

Am I alone in recognising the source of this sculpture?

Attachments

• 2018-08-21 18.27.04.jpg
    2018-08-21 18.27.04.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, a few weeks after I posted the last of my pictures from my two Caminos, thinking that was that for my participation in the thread, I'm back.

The circumstances in the outside world being as grim as they are, the desire to return to memories of happier times has become irresistible.

So, here is the first picture I took on my first Camino, which began like so many, in Biarritz.

I was struck by the sight of this little statuette in my Airbnb there, and I took it as a good omen that I had begun my journey in the home of someone who had such fine taste in comic-book history.

Am I alone in recognising the source of this sculpture?

Tintin aka our " Kuifje"...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Norte.
View attachment 85209
View attachment 85209
(I cannot figure out how to only post a thumbnail size on the "drop in box". It's always full size. When I then insert thumbnail it adds it in instead of replacing the large picture. I don't really like the "attach" feature with the updated website because I don't like seeing all of the words/numbers below in the gray box. I know it disappears when you click on the photo, but still I don't really like it.)
Use "Attach file" instead of the "Drop in" feature and select your picture. When the image shows up it has a text overlay. In the top left it says "Insert". Click that and you then see a choice of sizes with which to do the insert. Choose "Thumbnail".

See the picture in post 316 above.

Last edited:
Use "Attach file" instead of the "Drop in" feature and select your picture. When the image shows up it has a text overlay. In the top left it says "Insert". Click that and you then see a choice of sizes with which to do the insert. Choose "Thumbnail".

See the picture in post 316 above.
Thanks, Rick. My complaint is that if I use the "attach feature" like in the past, it now has that gray box underneath. From an aesthetic point of view, I do not like seeing it even though it goes away when you click on the photo. I guess I'm anal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Entering Betanzos on the Camino Ingles.

View attachment 85258
So many happy memories of the Ingles. I walked both parts of it and, thankfully, took over 200 photos!! One day we may even be able to walk again! Bless you, SabineP. S xx

€60,-
View attachment 85176 Pension Hortas in Rua Hortas. Most of the times my place to stay when in Santiago.
Close to the oficina de peregrinos and on the way to Finisterre.
Love that friendly "Pension" - stayed there on several caminos' My brother saw me off from there when I walked the Ingles in 2014. Little did we realise that he would be dead five months later. Thanks for reminding me of happy days, SabineP! S xDSCF6384.JPG

Pretty please, can we see them? ❤️ 🙏
(Hee hee...all of them.)
I don't think Ivar would be happy if I posted 200 photos here!! However, try:
and let me know how you get on!

I loved the Ebro Camino from Vinaros to Logrono, five years ago. Beautiful mountain scenery, and a good footpath through multiple tunnels where once a train line had run.
What a wonderful series of photos Stephen. Very evocative and they capture perfectly the best things about the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Imagine being that guy.
Off topic, but here's an article that's a wonderful window into the local reception of the crazy expat Hawaiians bringing surfing to Brittany; it must have had a similar impact in Biarritz:

I read it on a flight some years ago and it's stuck with me.

This couple had a great way of identifying which pack belonged to who.

View attachment 85261

Another of my couples pictures. One more to go.

Camino Portuguese- April, 2016 Your photo made us laugh, as we have two photos of us taken by fellow pilgrims, this one is on the way between Valada and Santarem, taken by two Irish ladies we had met the night before at our accommodation and then saw them here, stopped for a rest and snack.
P4263470.JPG
Camino del Norte- May 2018 We stopped at the bus station in San Vicente de la Baquera for a drink and met a pilgrim we had met in the albergue in Boo de Pielagos a couple of days before. He was from Thunder Bay, Canada and was catching a bus as his Camino was over. It was a lovely moment and he took some photos of us, as we did of him.
20180518_105432.jpg
Both times, same backpacks and boots!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You walk anyway
Just as you have for previous 3 weeks
You walk with blisters and headwinds
You walk for the people at home
You walk for your new family
You walk for you
The rain is coming and it’s always cold
You walk away
Sanctuary is Santiago

Attachments

• BE88EEC2-2929-4D2A-A381-596E2C1CD254.jpeg
    BE88EEC2-2929-4D2A-A381-596E2C1CD254.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 29

€60,-

€60,-
20200109_081127.jpg On the Via Francigena in January 2020 in the church in San Leonardo (just after Pavia) As it was still the season of Epiphany all the Christmas decorations were up in churches - and this word struck - Corragio which if my translation is correct is "courage" - it fitted on a dark, freezing morning with ice and fog on a long walk day - but strangely the parish must have been prophetic about what was lying ahead in 2020

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€149,-

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Cathedral of Saint Mary in Bayonne, on the last day of non-specific wandering.
And the beginning of the Baztan!
Here are the river and the tips of the cathedral spires on a gray evening with the weather gathering - the next day's walking to Esplette was one step up from swimming.

IMG_4141 (2).JPG

The playground of the former ( boarding ) school in Carrion de los Condes from the Sisters of Espiritu Santo. Now converted into an albergue. All individual beds. Very friendly Sisters.
From my first Camino in 2011.View attachment 85810
I stayed here too, in 2017 and had fun watching the stork in the church bell tower come and go feeding babies in this courtyard. I see the stork nest was there in 2011.
It was a treat having single beds.
Screenshot_20201022-062020~2.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back