• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Day at a time, One Photo at a Time (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just a PSA for winter Caminos... Yes, February can look like this in Galicia!

I noticed a huge difference in water levels between Jan/Feb and April. This February day gave me a quick peek at some old structures poking their heads out of the reservoir (zoom in to cloud reflection in middle) at Portomarin.

Sarria-Portomarin-1199.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The doors of the Museo de Arte Sacro de las Clarisas de Monforte open to welcome the eager visitors waiting in the courtyard.
Sigh. It was closed the day I was in Monforte.
:(

This is the first vista of the plain of Alava after you come down from the Tunel San Adrian on the Vasco. It's a whole different landscape than the other side of the mountain!
View media item 9757

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While going through my culled camino pictures the other day I came across this one, appropriate for today, Thanksgiving Day in the US, often called Turkey Day for the traditional meal served.

camino-turkey-01.jpeg

As an aside, a few years ago Peg and I were in a beach town in New Zealand on our Thanksgiving Day. We went to every restaurant in town but not one had turkey. We lucked out though. At the restaurant that we did end up going to we chatted with a US resident Kiwi visiting her father. As they left they gave us the last half of their pizza as an appetizer. The toppings: chicken and cranberries. Close enough and a reason for giving thanks.

For all who celebrate may you have a
Happy Thanksgiving!
Here in rural France we old Americans are, as always, truly thankful to be alive and together.

"He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” —Epictetus

Ultreia!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It was my third day on the Camino, and I was still in that mode of thought that was quite proud of myself for actually coping with the sheer physical effort.

I was also constantly on the lookout for sights that I'd seen in "The Way" so that I could compare my Camino with Martin Sheen's experience.

So when I saw this bridge, the Puente de Arre, on the outskirts of Pamplona, I immediately connected it with the scene where Martin loses his rucksack with its precious cargo into the river.

Cheesy photo posed for, blog post composed and posted. Job done.

Naturally, it took about five minutes before the Internet informed me that it wasn't the same bridge, nor the right river or even the same part of the region.

Oh well.

Attachments

• 2018-08-25 12.09.02.jpg
    2018-08-25 12.09.02.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 21
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@VNwalking has the same pic.
I do indeed:
Haha...but now I can't find it! I'll post it later.🤣
Edit~Here it is, not on a ridge but the crest of a gentle hill after Portomarin.

Portomarin-Palas de Rei (43).JPG

And to add a new pic, here's a lovely start to the morning after staying at Albergue El Beso, a few kms past Triacastella, walking towards the setting moon..
IMG_8462.JPG

Last edited:
The Portugues are one of the nicest and most generous people I know but they sure can speed in their cars. Can be a bit stressy for a pilgrim/ walker on these kind of roads.

View attachment 88336
Agreed! This stretch in the early morning mist outside Vila do Conde was a tad alarming.

Attachments

• 2019-04-30 09.07.30.jpg
    2019-04-30 09.07.30.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16

€83,-
We loved Molinaseca
I absolutely loved Molinaseca too, but it never worked out for me to overnight there. I do recall a stellar early afternoon meal in a restaurant downstairs with lovely decor, but do not recall its name to pass on unfortunately; it was on the far side of town, left side of the road.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I absolutely loved Molinaseca too, but it never worked out for me to overnight there. I do recall a stellar early afternoon meal in a restaurant downstairs with lovely decor, but do not recall its name to pass on unfortunately; it was on the far side of town, left side of the road.
I heartily recommend the Meson Puente Romano.

Attachments

• 2018-09-16 07.49.38.jpg
    2018-09-16 07.49.38.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 21
Fascinating article Sabine. But can you help me out with "Sempre no camiño"?

Gallego for ' Always on the Camino ". Although it would be nice to hear from a Gallego speaking member here if the " no " in this sentence can be interpreted differently.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gallego for ' Always on the Camino ". Although it would be nice to hear from a Gallego speaking member here if the " no " in this sentence can be interpreted differently.
Not a native from Galicia, but google seems to be... you are 100% correct, Sabine!

€46,-
Walking late one evening in Santiago, nearing San Martin Pinario, we could hear the music of a violin. It took a moment to see her - playing alone in the shadows. We sat on a stone wall, quietly in the dark, listening to a beautiful solo concert, till she finished, packed her violin and left. A wonderful memory.

violinist.jpg

Walking late one evening in Santiago, nearing San Martin Pinario, we could hear the music of a violin. It took a moment to see her - playing alone in the shadows. We sat on a stone wall, quietly in the dark, listening to a beautiful solo concert, till she finished, packed her violin and left. A wonderful memory.

View attachment 88431

Sweet melancholy. I love those quiet evenings in Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino del Norte- May, 2018 Between Ciguenza and Cobreces.
lovely photo. I’ve been looking at maps of the Norte and a lot of it seems to follow minor roads. Is this so? I’m thinking could be ideal on a bike.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Moonlight evening stroll in Castrojeriz (I was actually hunting for the bus stop for the following morning as I had hurt my ankle and was heading home - but returned 10 weeks later to finish!) when I ccam across this dashing night time pilgrim
IMAG0786.jpg

lovely photo. I’ve been looking at maps of the Norte and a lot of it seems to follow minor roads. Is this so? I’m thinking could be ideal on a bike.
Hi Peregrinopaul
There are parts that we remember would be bike friendly but also some parts that wouldn't be. But you might be able to take a different option where it isn't suitable for bikes. Some of the options we took certainly wouldn't be suitable, for example between Islares and Laredo via the coastal route and between Soto de Luina and Cadavedo there is the option to take a high route which wouldn't be suitable for bikes.
Also the 'Alpinist Route' after Santuario de Guadalupe and Pasajes de San Juan would be difficult on a bike but there is a low variant, don't know how bike friendly it is.
We thoroughly enjoyed the Norte, walking at the end of April, May and beginning of June 2018.
Some others may be able to remember more than we can to assist you in your planning.
Buen Camino
Anne & Pat

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The terrace off my room at the albergue Hogar Monjardin, operated by the Dutch. One of my best memories sharing wine with my son looking out at that view.
View attachment 88539
Your view took in my albergue at the tall white building to the right of your photo.
Screenshot_20201201-085722-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve been looking at maps of the Norte and a lot of it seems to follow minor roads. Is this so? I’m thinking could be ideal on a bike.

There are parts that we remember would be bike friendly but also some parts that wouldn't be. But you might be able to take a different option where it isn't suitable for bikes.

The Norte’s main frustrating disadvantage for pilgrims on foot is that it is so frequently on asphalt about 2 km from the ocean. Yet on the coast itself there are unbelievably beautiful trails for walkers. I have put together a list of some of the alternatives that walkers can take that get you off the asphalt and on the coast.

Your problem would be the reverse. You could easily follow much of the Norte since it goes along the road, and then on those occasions when the Norte does take walkers directly over to the coast, you could stay on the minor roads. But that, IMO, would make for a very unsatisfying Norte experience. Your coastal experiences would pretty much be limited to seeing the ocean in the towns that are on the coast and on the camino. That may be somewhat of an overstatement, but you would miss a lot of the most inspiring scenery on a bike, I think.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok, I need some asparagus education. I thought that the white asparagus were just green asparagus that have been kept in the dark. Either underground or under black plastic. I think that’s right. But I also thought that white asparagus were never sold fresh, just in jars or cans. I guess that’s wrong.

To my taste, there is nothing that rivals fresh green asparagus, I never liked those white slimy things. 😁 But I have never had a fresh white asparagus.
Brought back memories of the bar in Arres on the Aragones. We watched the owner sitting ,peeling freshly picked white asparagus. Next thing she brings over a plate for my friend and I. So delicious! Since then I have loved it...

(@VNwalking ... chunky felspar crystals in the bottom right block. Just sayin';))
So I see. 😊
Thank you for saying, because they would be easy to miss looking at the photo on my phone. (BTW, Paul, I replied on Laurie's thread about an option for getting from Zumaia to Pamplona.)

Here is the Iglesia San Nicholas in Pancorbo, with its facade only partly visible because the train cuts right in front of it, within meters. The town sits in a very narrow cleft between rugged terrain, and there aren't many other places for the train to go (besides a tunnel, and then it would miss Pancorbo altogether).
View media item 9808

So I see. 😊
Thank you for saying, because they would be easy to miss looking at the photo on my phone. (BTW, Paul, I replied on Laurie's thread about an option for getting from Zumaia to Pamplona.)

Here is the Iglesia San Nicholas in Pancorbo, with its facade only partly visible because the train cuts right in front of it, within meters. The town sits in a very narrow cleft between rugged terrain, and there aren't many other places for the train to go (besides a tunnel, and then it would miss Pancorbo altogether).
View media item 9808

Good that you took some pictures of the village. To the others here : I was too lazy to stroll through the village that day ( following the results of my country's elections on smartphone and lying on my bed in the hostal :)).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On the Caminho Português da Costa between Perafita and the Praia de Angeiras. The camino path follows along boardwalks that protect the biodiversity of the sand dunes and passes by the Obelisco da Memória. We encountered a group of children who were on a nature walk learning about the dune plants and animals.

dunes.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On the Caminho Português da Costa between Perafita and the Praia de Angeiras. The camino path follows along boardwalks that protect the biodiversity of the sand dunes and passes by the Obelisco da Memória. We encountered a group of children who were on a nature walk learning about the dune plants and animals.

View attachment 88595
Those sand dune boardwalks were taxing pathways - walking on sand is not an easy task with a rucksack on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Albergue municipal Cacabelos. The cabinetype rooms with two beds each.
When I walked by I thought that was a wonderful setup. At least in good weather.

Your picture @SabineP helped me pick out mine for today. As I remember it, just a few minutes past the albergue I came across a newly painted wall with a "Post no bills" instruction and an indication that someone found a loophole in the rule.
Q21900-HOR.jpg

€46,-
Nice and comfy though. Stayed in far worse places.
The hospitality on a pilgrimage makes all the difference.
Just Googled it. What a unique set-up; seems amazing for a municipal! I'm sorry that I missed out on it.

Albergue municipal Cacabelos. The cabinetype rooms with two beds each.
Camino Francès 2011.View attachment 88625
We also passed this albergue as we were leaving Cacabelos in September, 2014. This is the view from our Cacabelos accommodation. At the time we were pleased not to have chosen this accommodation for the night!
22 Sep #3 1834hrs Cacabelos From our room in lovely Hostal Santa Maria.JPG
I (Anne) was suffering from bed bug bites and decided to stay in a Hostal for a change, we were also in grand company as the Azerbaijan cycling team were also staying there! The World Team Cycling Championships were on in the Ponferrada area when we walked through there in 2014! We had wanted to stay in Ponferrada and visit the Castle but there were no beds to be had!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back