• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One day at a time, one photo at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So many amazing photos.
This thread is making me want to walk to places I never knew about, not to mention the ones I already did know about. And I'm imagining that when I finally get back out to the camino proper, I will often have that look on my face, @kirkie. A friend and I who have walked together call it the 'camino look,' often coming in the middle of a long climb when the body and terrain are fighting against each other uncomfortably. 🤭

The capitals of the roofless cloister ("destechado claustro - le basta la peña por coberto"), almost surrealistic in places, are unlike any I've seen anywhere else.
I was reminded of the capitals on the cloister when I saw the sculptures at the church of Diomondi on the Invierno last fall. To me, they seemed similar in style and theme.
@Albertagirl, that was my thought while looking at Alan's photo, never having seen San Juan de la Peña. But it brought Diomondi to mind immediately. But I have to say - whatever those chimeras are in your photo @alansykes, they're completely off the charts bizarre. Wonderful!

This bundle of contradictions tickled me mightily: the bar, the Buddha statue, the cowboy hat, the ivy, all that in the middle of La Faba. Camino Frances 2015.
IMG_8349.JPG

It's about hospitality.
On all my caminos I have always been touched by the warmth of the people who are welcoming the pilgrims.
But sometimes hosts are going further.
Yes, you see it well: 9 jam jars, all home made.
And an apple and two boiled eggs, for the road, because you never know...

20170905_072338.jpg
Voie de Vézelay, 2017
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
San Juan de la Peña

I couldn't decide which side of the outside to show.

sjdlp-outside-1.jpg sjdlp-outside-2.jpg sjdlp-outside-3.jpg

After our Camino Francés in 2015 I wanted to hike the Pyrenees and make a side trip here but we ran out of time. So the old monastery of San Juan de la Peña became a goal of my 2019 Caminos Catalan and Aragonese. I walked 18 days to get here. Mostly of romanesque architecture, the monastery was in use from 920 to 1675. There is a royal pantheon of kings of Aragon and Navarre here. You'll see more of my pictures later.

The coordinates for the old monastery are 42.508,-0.673

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Theatregal, we covered the same ground (not that that is surprising on a Camino!)
@JohnLloyd, there was something similar on the Salvador, just at the foot of the hill up to Bendueños. Just beside that spot, at the foot of the hill, we had the amazing fortune to see a mare give birth to her foal in the morning as we set off. We all watched the foal try to stand up. It was not easy, as the field was sloping. The owner came from his house and carefully nudged the foal so it could find its feet. You will have to imagine the scene, as my photos are temporarily out of reach...

Camino del Norte- 21st, May, 2018. This is one of Pat's favourite photos he took on this walk! This is the Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de los Dolores between Barro and Niembru, on the day we walked from Llanes to Ovio.

Thank you all for the beautiful and meaningful photos you are all posting, they are helping with Camino withdrawal symptoms!!

20180521_094638.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My favourite view on the Camino, any route really the image was pretty much the same, this one just happens to be on the VdlP, but I would happily follow that man anywhere.
image.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just found this thread what a great idea - I would simply love to be at my happy place now - The Camino.
Ive been on the Camino 6 times, been to SdC 4 times but the most special moment was when Jenny & I reached Muxia.
It was a beautiful place, and we felt deeply touched.
It was a good place to finish :)
2018-05-17 622.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMG_20200301_095508 (3).jpg

This is not about the photograph, but about the place.
When I first saw this view, I just fell in love with this valley. I'm lucky because, so far, I've sat down to look at it three times (and looking forward the fourth!)

SOrry! Editing just to say that this is the view from Alto del Perdón, where you can see aaaaaall the way to Puente la Reina

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One of my main reasons for walking the Mozárabe, to see the Mezquita in Córdoba again. I'd argue possibly the loveliest building ever made by humankind. Got there at first opening and had a couple of hours of relatively peaceful enjoyment before the coach parties and hoards of selfie-sticks started filling it up.

mezquita.jpg

One of my main reasons for walking the Mozárabe, to see the Mezquita in Córdoba again. I'd argue possibly the loveliest building ever made by humankind. Got there at first opening and had a couple of hours of relatively peaceful enjoyment before the coach parties and hoards of selfie-sticks started filling it up.

I also visited early in the morning the Mezquita ( Only five others were present those first twenty minutes.This was fifteen years ago ). It IS the loveliest building in the world.
And then late in the evening, finishing at Plaza de Capuchinos and the Cristo de los Faroles.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Negreira - dinner at the Hotel Millan. I went in at 7pm but they didn't start dinner service until 9. As I was walking away the man at the desk asked me to wait a moment. He came back and said the chef would be happy to make a simple dinner for me now. "Simple" was a lovely big salad, fish and vegetables in a massive dinning room all to myself :) Very kind people.

dinner2.jpg

A sheltered ermita along the Camino Aragonese 1 km before arriving at Ruesta.

IMG_20191105_174811.jpg

Once again I have had to postpone my other San Juan de la Peña photos. I emailed some from my smartphone to download onto my desktop for editing. Downloading one of them seems to have crashed my ISP's email server two days in a row.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
An "are we nearly there yet" moment on the Camino Aragonés not far from the Monasterio de Leyre, on the old route, now seldom used (I was one of 10 pilgrims to stay in the monastery's albergue last year) on the north side of Yesa's resevoir.

aragones.JPG

An "are we nearly there yet" moment on the Camino Aragonés not far from the Monasterio de Leyre, on the old route, now seldom used (I was one of 10 pilgrims to stay in the monastery's albergue last year) on the north side of Yesa's resevoir.

View attachment 75391
I am very curious whether female pilgrims can stay in the monastery and if there is adequate other accommodation along that side of the reservoir. When I walked the Aragones in 2016, starting in Oloron Ste Marie, there seemed to be too little information about the route on the north side of the reservoir for me to consider that route.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino del Norte-16th, May, 2018 We had a short walk this day between the beautiful, historic village of Santillana del Mar to Cobreces. On the way we visited the 16thC Iglesia Parroquial de San Pedro between Orena and Caborredondo. It was open and we met a local called Gunther who was giving sellos, a warm drink and a guided tour of the church. It was great to find a local church open, as not many are on the Camino del Norte.

20180516_104944.jpg20180516_102616.jpg

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would have liked to meet the artist who paints all the quirky colourful waymarks and images along the road in and out and through the village of Alvaredos.
I'm not so sure. I loved the animals - especially the crabs and the solitary flamingo - but the eyes creeped me out (here are two; there were others)20190607_092958.jpg.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances-3rd, September, 2014. This beautiful poppy was by the wayside on the path to Santo Domingo De La Calzada after Ciruena.
As we are having quite a few very wet, windy & cold days here in Cape Bridgewater, not conducive to walking, unfortunately, this photo cheers me up and makes me think of those very warm, sunny days we had in September 2014!

3 Sep #12 Poppy by the Way to Santo Domingo de Calzada.JPG

I still get sucked into taking poppy photos - close-ups, wide angles, whatever.
They bring such cheer to the heart!IMG_4312.JPG
Here is a favorite, showing their tenacity even in the middle of a monoculture of wheat!
The back side of Alto de Perdon, taken from near Eunate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The tiny village store in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.
The shopkeeper was so proud of his little shop :)
The banana was deliberate product placement...
2017-05-11 141.jpeg

- but the eyes creeped me out (here are two; there were others)

Thinking of the "watching eyes", I thought of this photo. I was sitting on a bench in Penaflor on the Primitivo admiring the beautiful overgrown stone staircase at the front of a ruined building across the lane. It was a while before the I noticed the steady gaze of the little one near the top.

Penaflor.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On Saturday 07-09-2019 I went to eat in Azofra with some pilgrims in the only local bar. It was a lot of noise, because the village was a party all weekend. I sat at the table with a very international group and it was very pleasant. The vino Tinto flowed freely.
Every now and then we had to go outside again, because then there was a bulls race. Children put it on a run with the bulls after them. Nice to see…IMG_20190907_201324.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Early morning, after Mazariffe. A straight stretch of road there is much much better at dawn than in the middle of the afternoon! This place is one of my least favorite parts of the Frances, but this turned out to be one of my favorite photos (and it's just as I took it, unedited to push the color).
IMG_7985.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 75698
Early morning, after Mazariffe. A straight stretch of road there is much much better at dawn than in the middle of the afternoon! This place is one of my least favorite parts of the Frances, but this turned out to be one of my favorite photos (and it's just as I took it, unedited to push the color).
View attachment 75709
Snap
7D4F6C67-9FB7-457A-9440-F9462EBF29D3.jpeg

San Juan de la Peña

Back again to the old monastery. I've have a number of favorite photos from here so I'll be slowly giving a tour. The monastery was in use from 920 to 1675 and, although the monastery is mostly of romanesque architecture there are a number of other styles here.

Across the road from the monastery is a small building for admissions and information. They lend out laminated informational sheets in various languages about the monastery. Fortunately I had the foresight to photograph the pages before returning them. My photos will present the main areas that they highlight. (The handout also tells about each of the capitals on the columns in the cloister.)

Romanesque Monks' bedroom.

bedroom.jpg

Last edited:
San Juan de la Peña

Back again to the old monastery. I've have a number of favorite photos from here so I'll be slowly giving a tour. The monastery was in use from 920 to 1675 and, although the monastery is mostly of romanesque architecture there are a number of other styles here.

Mozarabic original church.

original.jpg

I was outside Sarria in April 2017, and had stopped at the monastery. I was the only person around. As I was leaving a school group was just entering. The teacher came up and asked me if I was American (what could be so obvious?) and, hearing I was, said the class was learning English and would I speak to them briefly. I agreed and went through the routine of where I lived, my work, complimented Spain and told them what a treasure they had in the Camino, etc. The teacher asked if I was willing to take a few questions and, of course, I agreed. One young man threw up his hand almost giddy. The teacher called on him and this first question (in perfect English) was...what do you think of Donald Trump? Please do mistake this for any sort of political comment. Just another interesting day on the Camino.A Short Pilgrimage (5).jpg

€149,-
The Castro de Chao Samartín at Castro on the Primitivo. Castro is a short walk from Grandas de Salime - about 6 or 7 km which allowed for time in the afternoon to see the museum, take the guided tour of the Castro and have a bit of a rest day in this lovely little village.

castro.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back