• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One day at a time, one photo at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
San Juan de la Peña

Back again to the old monastery. I've have a number of favorite photos from here so I'll be slowly giving a tour. The monastery was in use from 920 to 1675 and, although the monastery is mostly of romanesqe architecture there are a number of other styles here.

In the mozarabic original church a romanesque painting from 12th century depicting the martyrdoms of Saints Damian and Cosme.

damian.jpg

The coordinates for the old monastery are 42.508,-0.673

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looking back at Atienza (its castle is on the hill to the left of the picture) on the way to Retortillo de Soria on the Ruta de la Lana.

The castle was still held by the Moors when el Cid passed by here one night in the 1080s, avoiding it as "una peña muy fuerte", according to the Cantar.

It is close to the border going to Soria province, Spain's most vaciada province, from Guadalajara province, its third least populated one, where the camino crosses from Castilla La Mancha to Castilla y León.

A lonely day's walk, but astonishingly beautiful on a clear autumn day.

atienza.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
San Juan de la Peña

Back again to the old monastery. I've have a number of favorite photos from here so I'll be slowly giving a tour. The monastery was in use from 920 to 1675 and, although the monastery is mostly of romanesqe architecture there are a number of other styles here.

The high church was dedicated in 1094. In front of the apses and above is the rock overhang, it may have once been painted. In the central apse is a replica of the chalice revered as the Holy Grail. It was kept here for protection from the Moors until 1399 and is now at the cathedral in Valencia.

high-church.jpg

The Teatro Principal in Santiago, built in 1841. As I walked past, a woman in front of the theatre was inviting people in to hear a free afternoon concert by A Banda Municipal de Música de Santiago de Compostela. A wonderful hour in this beautiful little jewel box theatre.

Teatro Principal.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Portuguese- 25th, April, 2016. Before entering Azambuja, after walking 6+kms on the very busy N3.
In Azambuja, we met two Portuguese pilgrims from the local Pilgrim Association, who were way marking an alternative to walking on the N3, thank goodness.
We only saw empty storks nests on the Camino Frances in Aug/Sept 2014 but while walking the Portuguese in April/May 2016 we saw many storks nests with lots of storks, it was wonderful. They were in some very interesting spots. There were at least nine in this photo.

IMG_2613.JPG

San Juan de la Peña

18th century neo-classical Royal Pantheon. (I'm not sure how or why this was done when the monastery was not in use but I'm passing on what the handout said.)

pantheon.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Via de Bayona, looking back towards the Ermita Nuestra Señora (in the trees) and the dramatic mountain behind it. Walking in the westward direction meant the layers of rock were not obvious, until you looked back. Qué sorpresa! :eek:

And then there were the wonderful plants up there as we went a little farther along, veritable carpets of blooming herbs. My patient walking companion had to put up with some geological and botanical excitement and frothing at the mouth. Blahblahblahblah...🙃
20190528_142617.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Always take a look back
Great advice. Preferably frequently.

Here is sunrise on the way up to the alto above Rabe de las Calzadas. I'd have missed the amazing sun pillar and the sliver of the moon if I hadn't looked back. The problem was, once I saw this I felt like walking backwards.
20190530_063234 (2).jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
San Juan de la Peña

I'm still at the old monastery. I've have a few more favorite photos from here. The monastery was in use from 920 to 1675 and, although the monastery is mostly of romanesque architecture there are a number of other styles here.

Mozarabic door into the high church with a 12th century inscription, "The door to Heaven is opened through this one to all those faithful who devote themselves to joining faith and God's Commandments".

door.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
San Juan de la Peña

12th century romanesque cloister and 17th century Chapel of San Voto, a renaissance transition to baroque building. The informational handout says that the wall outboard of the cloister once extended to the overhanging rock making an indoor courtyard.

1590500749259_san-voto.jpg

By the way, it looks as if reconstruction has taken place in the cloister, I think quite a lot. I'll have to research this. Also, the pillars are made up with from one to four columns.

Last edited:

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Puente Colgante, Viscaya Bridge, Portugalete, 14 September 2018View attachment 76129

Camino del Norte- 6th, May, 2018 Also the Viscaya Bridge, Portugalete, but we took the lower option, not in a car! We really enjoyed our walk from Bilbao on a quiet Sunday morning along the east bank of the river and crossing the river on this wonderful bridge.

P5060243.JPGP5060239.JPG

Wow, this is a tough one - so many photo's that all mean so much, but, instinctively today, this is the first one I thought of - taken on 18/05 last year. I had completed the Norte/Primitivo Camino and had made some incredible friendships along the way and now, suddenly, I was on my own again - leaving Santiago to walk on to Finisterre and Muxia. This was taken the morning I left Santiago, somewhere near Sarela de Abaixo I think. Funny, it's only occurring to me as I write this that maybe it feels so instinctive right now is I now have that same feeling of loss of companionship, slight apprehension, loneliness etc - but still being able to 'look back' and feel so lucky that up to this point, I've had a pretty lucky and life has been good - and I know it will be again.

Wow, I have this same picture; the catedral in Santiago from a distance, early in the morning as I left for Finisterre. I bet others do, too. And I had exactly the same feelings you did.

I'm done with my San Juan de la Peña photos for now. I may take the ones I've shown on this thread and some more and add them to a new forum members album for my account in the future. In the meantime, if you are looking for more pictures, use the links below.

See photos at Flickr taken near San Juan de la Peña.

Use this link to visit Google maps' page for San Juan de la Peña; it has 360 degree views, videos and photos. Click on the photograph shown on that page to see what else is available.

You have a choice of maps of the area showing both the old and new monasteries at this link to gpsvisualizer.com. The view is best on a desktop or laptop but it should work okay on a phone. You will have to play with the zoom level though.

Camino Primitivo, September 2018. From La Mesa to Embalse de Salime. We walked uphill in beautiful sunshine. On our way downhill we met the fog. There had been a forest fire, so many trees were quite black. A special atmosphere.9E5D04C8-7063-4589-9ED8-248B30D68ECD.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I actually just opened this thread today, and wondered why I hadn't done it earlier. I have thousands of photos, but this gives me a chance to go through some of them and choose favorites. So here is the first. This is a photo in Antequera on the route from Malaga and is April 22, 2016. I think it is one of the most beautiful cities I've been in.
IMG_0447.jpeg

And here is a photo that is a favorite because it makes me laugh out loud every time I see it.

So I'm walking along and I come to this gate.
I'm a farm girl. I should know gates ...
but I guess I was exhausted, because I couldn't figure out how in the HELL I would get over or around it.

I finally took my pack off, tossed it over the fence, and climbed over,
(Macabi skirts are NOT made for climbing fences!)
ONLY to find THIS on the other side!
IMG_0308.jpeg DOH! ::slapping her forehead::: 🥴 🤣

€46,-
Shortly before Melide, May 2018. The husband drives the tractor his wife follows with a basket of seed. My idea of the good life!16698783-4A82-44AB-A87A-F1FC64E0A5B4.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Loose cattle. Please close the gate.

Screenshot_20200606-095338~2.png

Another of my stupid but favorite photos. Why? Anyone notice the iPhone at the lower right corner? It had to have been there a few days because it was down to 2% battery. It must have belonged to a pilgrim as it was far from town and its boot messages were in Catalan. I cleaned it up and charged it and passed it to another pilgrim, a fast walking Spaniard, to try to connect to albergues ahead of us. I texted him, circumstanctually as he arrived in Santiago, but he hadn't found the owner.

Camino Portuguese- 30th, May, 2016 Santa Maria do Olival, Tomar. This is the Templar Mother church, St Mary in the Olive Grove, which was allegedly connected by secret tunnels to the Templar Castle, on the other side of town. The church contains many hidden symbols of the Order. We were very fortunate to visit it when Dulce a local guide was there, who gave us a fantastic personalised tour of the church, showing us many of the hidden Templar signs and their meanings.

P4303642.JPGP4303655.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back