• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Day of Walking in February 2016 - Thoughts?

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 - planning done and now future
Hi All, I know it sounds a bit odd, but I have school planning for my 13 year old and his school, and coming to Madrid next month and I thought, hmmm, would it be nice to walk a day of the Camino Madrid - a day of quiet reflection? I would love to hear suggestions on this. I know it sounds nuts! On an extra day, I would awaken in Madrid, move to a starting place and walk for the day, just to take a bus or train back to Madrid, sleep and then fly back to the US. I would only have one day to walk because I have to get back to my regular job. I know it does sound nuts and I keep wondering why not? My son and I had done a good little part of del Norte and then the Primitivo into Santiago over two weeks last summer, and I suppose, I am hoping to find a little piece, a little planning of the next Camino. Open to thoughts and reflections on this, thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you're feeling relatively fit, you could take the cercanías out to Cercedilla, walk, partly on a Roman road, up to the Puerto de La Fuenfría (about 1000m of ascent), where you will get a jaw-dropping view of Segovia far below, "sailing" across the meseta. Then walk down to Segovia, initially through pine woods, and then alongside the water channel that supplied Segovia's Roman aqueduct. At Segovia you can take a 30 minute AVE train back to Madrid. It's about 32km and took me a bit over 8 hours door-to-door in December 2013 (when there was an inch or two of snow on the north side):

www.mapmywalk.com/workout/441090733

I actually did just what Alan recommended about three years ago. I had a free day in Madrid, so the night before I took the Cercanias train to Cercedilla and spent the night in the pension Aribel Longinos, which is very close to the train station and right on the Camino. I left early in the morning and had a few hours to spend in Segovia before catching the fast train back to Madrid. It was late February, and there was a little bit of slushy snow but it was great!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The stage out of Cercedilla would be my first option too but if you can't make it due to snow (what seems unlikely at the moment but you never know) or if you find it too long, an alternative would be the stage from Manzanares el Real to Cercedilla.

Manzanares el Real is easy to reach from Madrid by bus (bus line 724 out of Plaza de Castilla every 30 minutes) and you can take a Cercanías train back from Cercedilla to Madrid.

I believe a 32 km stage plus round trip from Madrid is a bit too much for one day. I would personally go for
Fuencarral-Colmenar Vejo (12 km ,open countriside,views of Madrid) or
Colmenar-Manzanares ( 15 km , open countriside ) or
Manzanares- Cercedilla (19 km, up to mataelpino,then very nice rolling hill )
Fuencarral is basically at the end of a metro line (forgot which one )

As it is the day before you fly why not take it a little easy? Bus 724 as mentioned above to Manzanares, visit the castle and then walk to Navacerrada? It is about 14K and as mostly uphill perhaps exercise enough. Mostly country tracks. Frequent 691 bus service takes 1 hour back to Intercambiador de Moncloa in Madrid. Bear in mind that there might be snow about.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I actually did just what Alan recommended about three years ago. I had a free day in Madrid, so the night before I took the Cercanias train to Cercedilla and spent the night in the pension Aribel Longinos, which is very close to the train station and right on the Camino. I left early in the morning and had a few hours to spend in Segovia before catching the fast train back to Madrid. It was late February, and there was a little bit of slushy snow but it was great!
You are an inspiration Laurie.
You must have so many notes and photos -
I am in awe of what you'll achieve come may16, when you were planning to retire !
So humbling seeing others able to fit so much into their lives but still able to give so much still to others.
Thank you always for your input on all sections of this forum
Buen Camino

As it is the day before you fly why not take it a little easy? Bus 724 as mentioned above to Manzanares, visit the castle and then walk to Navacerrada? It is about 14K and as mostly uphill perhaps exercise enough. Mostly country tracks. Frequent 691 bus service takes 1 hour back to Intercambiador de Moncloa in Madrid. Bear in mind that there might be snow about.
Al, I think your idea suits the time available.
The 'suggested walk to Segovia' sounds like a great idea for a days walk (if you're staying in Spain ) , however, if catching a flight back to USA the next day , your suggestion covers fitting a lot in for one day plus exercise.
Buen Camino Teresa Santamaria

All! Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I may give up the Sat/ Sun friend visits in Madrid and museums and spread two days quiet, slushy, and an albergue quiet over Sat and Sunday and keep the work to the workweek! I will fill you in...this was a late addition to this trip and so I am happy that it snuck in a bit! Happy January!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All! Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I may give up the Sat/ Sun friend visits in Madrid and museums and spread two days quiet, slushy, and an albergue quiet over Sat and Sunday and keep the work to the workweek! I will fill you in...this was a late addition to this trip and so I am happy that it snuck in a bit! Happy January!

Teresa:

I assume you will be walking with, at most, a day pack. Therefore, 32 km's does not seem like a distance too far. Enjoy your day or two of walking.

Ultreya,
Joe

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.