• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One hour to catch bus Madrid airport to Leon?

Abigail Kelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Fis/Muxia 2017
A Coruna/Santiago 2017
Portuguese Coastal/Variante Espiritual 2019
Hi guy's, quick question. My flight with Ryanair lands (if not delayed) at Madrid airport at 1010 am. Bus from there to Leon is 1115. Is it realistic to think that I may make this bus? I was going to book it online but thought I better throw this out there first. The next bus is 130 or something and takes for ever to get to Leon with lots of stops. I won't have any bags to pick up. Thanks ahead of time :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi guy's, quick question. My flight with Ryanair lands (if not delayed) at Madrid airport at 1010 am. Bus from there to Leon is 1115. Is it realistic to think that I may make this bus? I was going to book it online but thought I better throw this out there first. The next bus is 130 or something and takes for ever to get to Leon with lots of stops. I won't have any bags to pick up. Thanks ahead of time :)

T1 is not too big and i am assuming that if you are flying with ryanair you will not have to clear immigration or customs, and you have no checked in lugagge... you'll have time for the loo and a coffee before jumping on your bus

Does the bus depart from Terminal 4? You have to deplane, get to the shuttle bus, ride shuttle bus, get to bus ‘station’ at T4.

And use the loo as suggested.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Abigail Kelly, you've already noted "if not delayed" for your flight landing time. Remember, flight landing times are usually "wheels on the ground" not taxied to disembarking point, disembarked, walked half-way to Erewhon to find Border Control and queue with a smile waiting for that welcoming grunt time. And then you'll have to get the shuttle to T4 unless Ryanair have upgraded their landing slots.

I wouldn't book that bus. I'd still go for a bus 'cos otherwise its at least 45 minutes to Principe Pio from T4 and then wait for a Leon train. There are a mix of "express" & slower buses from T4 throughout the day and depending on your travel date. You can have a loo break and treat yourself to a ludicrously expensive Bocadillo & coffee while you wait...

T1 is not too big and i am assuming that if you are flying with ryanair you will not have to clear immigration or customs, and you have no checked in lugagge... you'll have time for the loo and a coffee before jumping on your bus
Hi Jeff, still have to go through passport control. I think I read somewhere here that you have to get a shuttle to the ALSA bus? I hope there is a loo on the bus :eek: :)me need loo a lot🙃 I could take a chance on getting a ticket when I get there but I have a feeling tickets might be sold out for that bus as it is non stop to Leon.

Hi Jeff, still have to go through passport control. I think I read somewhere here that you have to get a shuttle to the ALSA bus? I hope there is a loo on the bus :eek: :)me need loo a lot🙃 I could take a chance on getting a ticket when I get there but I have a feeling tickets might be sold out for that bus as it is non stop to Leon.
then i'm assuming you are flying in from one of the few non-schengen countries ryanair flies to from spain. still, unless it's morocco, it should go fast as most of the passenger will be europeans/spaniards.
as for the alsa bus, if you need to use a shuttle, then it departs from T4, so yes, allow yourself 20 minutes to get from T1 to T4 (free airport shuttle), and use the loo at T4. no loo on the bus. and perhaps purchase your tix online (alsa.com).
good luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
then i'm assuming you are flying in from one of the few non-schengen countries ryanair flies to from spain. still, unless it's morocco, it should go fast as most of the passenger will be europeans/spaniards.
as for the alsa bus, if you need to use a shuttle, then it departs from T4, so yes, allow yourself 20 minutes to get from T1 to T4 (free airport shuttle), and use the loo at T4. no loo on the bus. and perhaps purchase your tix online (alsa.com).
good luck!
Thanks Jeffery, I will have start praying that flight will land on time from Dublin :) No loo on bus :eek: :confused: as soon as I board the bus I will want to go lol a mind thing :)

I'm ALSA's biggest fan! I always take the bus in preference to the train! ... I've flown into T1 and then shuttled to the ALSA stop at T4, and it's very easy to do! ...

But IMHO what you're considering doing cuts it unrealistically close! If anything at all goes wrong, you're toast.

(Supplementary Note: The bus ride from Madrid to Leon is about the most boring bus ride I've ever had in Spain!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was in the same predicament last year from Dublin and catching a bus to Burgos , It was very tight for time and a big queue for the bus after moving from arrival terminal to bus stop . Have your bus ticket booked and your backpack as carry on . Going through customs in Spain is slow compared to Dublin . They really take their time looking at people’s passports even if you are EU . On paper I had an hour to spare like you but I remember only being at the bus stop 5 mins before it arrived so it was rush to make it . Buen Camino.

But IMHO what you're considering doing cuts it unrealistically close! If anything at all goes wrong, you're toast.

(Supplementary Note: The bus ride from Madrid to Leon is about the most boring bus ride I've ever had in Spain!)
Thanks for the info regarding scenery. Ryan air can be unpredictable regarding time so I think with advise I am going to look at getting a train. Oh and they will have a loo on there and I can have as many coffee as I want without worrying 🙃 😅

very tight for time and a big queue for the bus after moving from arrival terminal to bus stop . Have your bus ticket booked and your backpack as carry on . Going through customs in Spain is slow compared to Dublin . They really take their time looking at people’s passports even if you are EU . On paper I had an hour to spare like you but I remember only being at the bus stop 5 mins before it arrived so it was rush to make it
I feel stress before I start Salvador/Primitivo all because of bus times 🤣🙃 Thank you for input will look at train and weigh my options.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
half-way to Erewhon

Not often I see a Sam Butler reference on here - or anywhere else for that matter!
Erewhon, I knew what it mean ish but I still had to google who referenced it and their meaning lol "Butler meant the title to be understood as the word "nowhere" is a novel by Samuel Butler which was first published anonymously in 1872. My learning for today 😅

Erewhon, I knew what it mean ish but I still had to google who referenced it and their meaning lol "Butler meant the title to be understood as the word "nowhere" is a novel by Samuel Butler which was first published anonymously in 1872. My learning for today 😅

Debatable whether he deliberately transposed the W and the H, or whether he was just too clever for his own good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We fretted about the exact same thing, arriving from the UK and having about an hour to catch the bus to Astorga. I prebooked as I have seen the slow queues on the ALSA desk at T4! We had hand luggage only, paid for our seat at the front of the plane to make sure we got off quickly, and power walked to passport control, then after that (depending on which gate you land at I suppose, but rule of thumb) you just keep walking straight ahead past luggage pick-up, keep exit doors to your *left* following the T4 transit bus signs along and one level up, then out and catch the free, fast, transfer bus to T4, about a ten minute ride which looks like it's taking you out of the airport and causes quite a lot of stress for first-time passengers. At T4, get down to street level and the ALSA desk is by the exit to where the buses are. We have made it successfully twice and had time for the loo - there is one on the bus too, and they do a 10-15 min comfort break along the way - and buying some water and snacks for the trip. Having the ticket means you can choose your seat and get straight on, but beware the driver will insist you put your pack under the bus. Fingers crossed you will be fine (though I understand if you don't want to take the chance). Buen Camino!

Edited: keep exit doors to your *left* following the T4 transit bus signs

Last edited:
We fretted about the exact same thing, arriving from the UK and having about an hour to catch the bus to Astorga. I prebooked as I have seen the slow queues on the ALSA desk at T4! We had hand luggage only, paid for our seat at the front of the plane to make sure we got off quickly, and power walked to passport control, then after that (depending on which gate you land at I suppose, but rule of thumb) you just keep walking straight ahead past luggage pick-up, keep exit doors to your right, go one level up, then out and catch the free, fast, transfer bus to T4, about a ten minute ride which looks like it's taking you out of the airport and causes quite a lot of stress for first- time passengers. At T4, get down to street level and the ALSA desk is by the exit to where the buses are. We have made it successfully twice and had time for the loo - there is one on the bus too, and they do a 10-15 min comfort break along the way - and buying some water and snacks for the trip. Having the ticket means you can choose your seat and get straight on, but beware the driver will insist you put your pack under the bus. Fingers crossed you will be fine (though I understand if you don't want to take the chance). Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for that encouragement and great directions on where to go once I go through passport control.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
walked half-way to Erewhon

My apologies for diverting from the thrust of this thread.

Knowing where Butler was when he put pen to paper and to what he referred, I think you are leading us astray in two respects.

Firstly, there is no ALSA bus stop at any point halfway from Madrid Airport to Erewhon, no matter the route you might take.

Secondly, all of those routes involve walking considerable distances over water ...

So, @Tincatinker , kia kaha (do take care and be strong as you get going)

@AlwynWellington, I know Butler is supposed to have based, or at least drawn on, his experiences in New Zealand for his book. My confabulation of Erewhon and Barajas Adolfo Suárez Airport was intended both as an homage and a provocation. There'll be a few more people trying to track down a copy tonight. Not that the sales will do much for Butler ;)

Hope it helps, but please note I have edited to 'keep exit doors to your left following the T4 transit bus signs' ... To be fair you have no other choice unless you exit the building but still :eek:
I changed my seating with Ryanair so I can exit first like a bat out of hell 😅

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I changed my seating with Ryanair so I can exit first like a bat out of hell 😅
Be sure to let us know if you make it or miss it, and by how many minutes. We're starting a betting pool with 5 euro buy-ins . . . If it takes off, winner will have a mostly funded camino because of your question.

My money is on "Makes it with 2 minutes to spare, but gets a sour look from the driver as you dash up just before he closes the storage."

Be sure to let us know if you make it or miss it, and by how many minutes. We're starting a betting pool with 5 euro buy-ins . . . If it takes off, winner will have a mostly funded camino because of your question.

My money is on "Makes it with 2 minutes to spare, but gets a sour look from the driver as you dash up just before he closes the storage."
I am glad that I am entertaining yea 🤣 I want in on that pool if I can get the driver to "stop for me" just after he/she takes off. I can visualise it now me jumping in front of bus shouting "Stop"😅

hi Abigail
you will need to get a shuttle from T1 to T4 which is 10mins. The passport control in T1 is pretty fast & shuttle buses are very frequent.There Is the option of getting a taxi into the main bus station in Madrid where you would most likely connect with the 11.15 from the airport ( I actually had this trip last year & I had plenty of time to get the Alsa bus at T1 which then stooped in the main bus station for 20mins)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@AlwynWellington, I know Butler is supposed to have based, or at least drawn on, his experiences in New Zealand for his book. My confabulation of Erewhon and Barajas Adolfo Suárez Airport was intended both as an homage and a provocation. There'll be a few more people trying to track down a copy tonight. Not that the sales will do much for Butler ;)
Some years ago I stayed at a small motel called Erewhon somewhere way, way down the west coast of New Zealand's South Island. Very lovely. (But of no use at all in finding the way from Madrid to Leon :) )

@Levi , hope you were not walking from one town to the next.

While the scenery may be wonderful, terrific etc there are no tracks between localities and the roads are often not very inviting for walkers.

Erewhon Motel, Haast and Mesopotamia (Sheep) Station (where author Samuel Butler lived for a short time) are less than 200 km apart as the crow flies and the shortest road connection being around 500 not so easy km.

The sheep station gets its name as it sits between two rivers that both feed into the mighty Rangitata. Similar in kind to the region in Iraq between two rivers : the Tigris flowing through Baghdad and the Euphrates flowing a little to the west.

The motel gets its name as being (almost) at the back of beyond, if not a little further on. As you would have been aware.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would never stress myself trying to get a bus from a different terminal within an hour of scheduled landing. Assuming you have somewhere booked to stay in Leon, just chill, have a beer and catch whatever bus.

I would never stress myself trying to get a bus from a different terminal within an hour of scheduled landing. Assuming you have somewhere booked to stay in Leon, just chill, have a beer and catch whatever bus.
I know hate the stress but after that I will chill a lot more. I want to get to Leon early enough in the day so I can have time to see some of Leon before starting out early next morning. ALSA was the only bus that I could find that didn't have a lot of stops en-route and its direct from the airport without having to go into Madrid city.

We'll attempt this same dash for T4 in a week, I will report back on how we did and how long it took. My UK husband shouldn't have any problems going through the EU passport queue yet (I am EEA, not UK/EU) but I know some airports have started preparing their passport lines for the changes that come into force at the end of the year, so if there are any at Madrid I will let you know.

We'll attempt this same dash for T4 in a week, I will report back on how we did and how long it took. My UK husband shouldn't have any problems going through the EU passport queue yet (I am EEA, not UK/EU) but I know some airports have started preparing their passport lines for the changes that come into force at the end of the year, so if there are any at Madrid I will let you know.
Oh brilliant please let me know how yea get on. Thank you so much. 😊 I haven't booked my bus ticket yet was going to do it today, I will wait now and see how you both get on :)

You can download the Alsa app to your phone before you leave home, and then use the app to buy your ticket on the airport shuttle bus as you approach T4 where the buses leave from. I have done this, it's dead easy. You pay for the ticket using a credit card on the phone, and then show your phone to the bus driver, all he wants is the ticket reference number to tick you off the list. The bus will definitely have a toilet.
Alsa buses are fast, frequent, clean, professional, reliable and go everywhere. Recommended.

Update: We have now successfully completed the Madrid T4 dash and I am happy to announce that it took us only 30 minutes from the plane touched down until we were at terminal 4, planta 0, where the ALSA desk and buses are. So we had 30 minutes to spare, *but* ALSA request you arrive at the bus ten minutes before, and we had no queues at passport control or anywhere else. Just go past luggage carousels, follow transit bus sign through exit and up one level, then out and the transit bus will be waiting. See pics!

Attachments

• DSC_2097.JPG
    DSC_2097.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_2098.JPG
    DSC_2098.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_2099.JPG
    DSC_2099.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_2100.JPG
    DSC_2100.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Update: We have now successfully completed the Madrid T4 dash and I am happy to announce that it took us only 30 minutes from the plane touched down until we were at terminal 4, planta 0, where the ALSA desk and buses are. So we had 30 minutes to spare, *but* ALSA request you arrive at the bus ten minutes before, and we had no queues at passport control or anywhere else. Just go past luggage carousels, follow transit bus sign through exit and up one level, then out and the transit bus will be waiting. See pics!
I was just thinking of yea early today lol. Thank you so much for that information, it is a big help. Have a brilliant trip and Buen Camino 👣👣👣

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back