• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino One month left to begin my camino!little scared...

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
In about a month i am leaving Greece to start my camino Frances!
I keep reading almost everything that everyone posts here and it's really helpful....but there are times that i feel anxious and scared but at the same time excited.....i just know that i will arrive in SJPP on the 7/7 and from there on i do not know anything......i will just leave the road to take me where i have to go....
On the other hand i want to be prepared for everything and also i would like some positive energy from people that done it so i wont be sacred that i will be doing that alone and that once i get there i will find everything that i need for my camino.
Also do i need to book for my one night stay in SJPP? I read that many people have already booked for their first night before the beginning of their camino....i think i will stick to my first idea....just go and once you are there you will find everything.
Buen camino to everyone!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will be fine!! We have 200 km left on the Northern route and we have let the Camino dictate for us from San Sebastian and we are in Luarca now. Part of the experience for us is the not knowing part and this is exciting! All your adventures will be funny stories one day so let the Camino do what it does best!! Have fun and enjoy..
Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What time do you arrive inSJPP? If it is late you might like to have that booked. If you arrive mid afternoon then I don't think there will be any difficulty.
However if you want to stay in a particular albergue. . .
Listen to your body. Don't push on if you are hurting. Stop and rest.
If you come to an albergue early in the day and it really appeals to you.
Then follow your instinct. My one regret is that I did not stop at places like st anton or in the albergue beside the church of st Stephen in zabaldika. I had loads of time and finished earlier than I had allowed myself. So these were missed moments.
Buen Camino
Antoinette.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What time do you arrive inSJPP? If it is late you might like to have that booked. If you arrive mid afternoon then I don't think there will be any difficulty.
However if you want to stay in a particular albergue. . .
Listen to your body. Don't push on if you are hurting. Stop and rest.
If you come to an albergue early in the day and it really appeals to you.
Then follow your instinct. My one regret is that I did not stop at places like st anton or in the albergue beside the church of st Stephen in zabaldika. I had loads of time and finished earlier than I had allowed myself. So these were missed moments.
Buen Camino
Antoinette.
Thank you so much. I always feel more calm when someone gives me advices for my camino...i feel stronger!!!
Well i arrive in SJPP around 16:15 and i will go straight to the piligrams office and from there i will go to find a place to stay for the night.

You will be fine!! We have 200 km left on the Northern route and we have let the Camino dictate for us from San Sebastian and we are in Luarca now. Part of the experience for us is the not knowing part and this is exciting! All your adventures will be funny stories one day so let the Camino do what it does best!! Have fun and enjoy..
Buen Camino
Thank you so much!!
Enjoy the rest of your camino....May your journey give u all that your heart, soul and mind wants:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh and we have come across many female camino walkers by themselves and we have not heard one problem from them yet!!
I believe that the road and all the people that i will meet there will give me answers and help if needed! Can't wait to begin my camino!!!!
Thank you again:)

Hi Angeliki - you have a beautiful name.
Just relax - everything on this forum is useful, but you may be suffering from information overload which makes you anxious. Really, the Camino is just a long walk and a time to get away from the rush and worries of everyday life. As to the practicalities of arrival in St Jean, you are right to go straight to the pilgrims office and get your credential and good advice, and they will advise you about accommodation. People who book are those who choose to stay in private albergues, hostals etc
Buen Camino
David

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Angeliki - you have a beautiful name.
Just relax - everything on this forum is useful, but you may be suffering from information overload which makes you anxious. Really, the Camino is just a long walk and a time to get away from the rush and worries of everyday life. As to the practicalities of arrival in St Jean, you are right to go straight to the pilgrims office and get your credential and good advice, and they will advise you about accommodation. People who book are those who choose to stay in private albergues, hostals etc
Buen Camino
David
Hallo David! :)
Thank you for your msg, it makes me feel better:) the truth is that there are too many informations here and maybe that's why I get anxious plus the fact that I will be alone. But in any case I believe also that the camino is just a long walk for our soul and mind :)is it easy to get to the piligrams office from the train station in sjpp that I will arrive?

Hello Angelika,
1. Yes, it's easy.
2. You will already meet other pilgrims in the train (at this time, more than half of the passengers...).
3. If you are still unsure, use the Streetview feature of Google Earth/Google Maps to have a look to the situation.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Angeliki! I agree with David, you have a lovely name ;)
Please take this as a piece of encouragement: You simply can't be prepared for everything.
Stuff will happen, some fabulous, and other less so... (for example: bed bugs happen, c'est la vie!)
But you'll see that, more often than not, Camino angels will help you along.
Have faith & buen camino!
Amit

Hi Angeliki! I agree with David, you have a lovely name ;)
Please take this as a piece of encouragement: You simply can't be prepared for everything.
Stuff will happen, some fabulous, and other less so... (for example: bed bugs happen, c'est la vie!)
But you'll see that, more often than not, Camino angels will help you along.
Have faith & buen camino!
Amit
Thank you so much for your msg!!!!!
I feel that i have a connection with all the people that are in this forum and i am happy for that!!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I keep reading almost everything that everyone posts here and it's really helpful....but there are times that i feel anxious and scared but at the same time excited.....i just know that i will arrive in SJPP on the 7/7 and from there on i do not know anything......i will just leave the road to take me where i have to go....
On the other hand i want to be prepared for everything and also i would like some positive energy from people that done it so i wont be sacred that i will be doing that alone and that once i get there i will find everything that i need for my camino.
Also do i need to book for my one night stay in SJPP? I read that many people have already booked for their first night before the beginning of their camino....i think i will stick to my first idea....just go and once you are there you will find everything.

You will be great and i promise there are not many people from Greece on the Camino so you will be very popular..I walked last Sept-Oct , started out on my own and met an amazing group of people...message me if you have any questions at all!!!Buen Camino!

Do book SJPP ahead of time because it fills up after 2 and also consider booking a night at Orisson, it is a great way to break up that long steep walk over the pyrenees.

Do book SJPP ahead of time because it fills up after 2 and also consider booking a night at Orisson, it is a great way to break up that long steep walk over the pyrenees.
You think that i should book??? If i take the train i will arrive around 4:15 if i find someone to share a cap probably earlier, but you think that i wont find somewhere to spend the night? I don't know i feel that i do not want to book anything for this trip...i want the road to take me wherever i need to go....
Also i haven't thought of spending the night at Orisson.you think it is nesessary? I wont be able to finish the whole route in one day?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there..... I'm one day ahead of you. I arrive 6/7 and start walking 7/7. Perhaps we will meet.
I have booked a transport from Biarritz airport via http://www.expressbourricot.com They do passenger share at good prices.
I did book for my first night in SJPP because arriving late afternoon I want a stress free start and I have also booked the refuge in Orrisson. I could probably do all the way to Roncevalles as many do, but I'm not as fit as I would like to be and don't want to risk early injury. I also believe the Orisson refuge is a special experience and I'm in no rush.
The other thing to consider is Pamplona. You will be arriving during St Fermin (running of the bulls) and the main hostel is closed. Hotels are very busy and if you want to stop beds may be in short supply or very expensive. Again, I have booked just before Pamplona so I can be stress free and enjoy walking through the following day.
After that I'm leaving it to the Camino to tell me where to go and when to stop.
Perhaps we will meet along the way.
Buen Camino.

Hi there..... I'm one day ahead of you. I arrive 6/7 and start walking 7/7. Perhaps we will meet.
I have booked a transport from Biarritz airport via http://www.expressbourricot.com They do passenger share at good prices.
I did book for my first night in SJPP because arriving late afternoon I want a stress free start and I have also booked the refuge in Orrisson. I could probably do all the way to Roncevalles as many do, but I'm not as fit as I would like to be and don't want to risk early injury. I also believe the Orisson refuge is a special experience and I'm in no rush.
The other thing to consider is Pamplona. You will be arriving during St Fermin (running of the bulls) and the main hostel is closed. Hotels are very busy and if you want to stop beds may be in short supply or very expensive. Again, I have booked just before Pamplona so I can be stress free and enjoy walking through the following day.
After that I'm leaving it to the Camino to tell me where to go and when to stop.
Perhaps we will meet along the way.
Buen Camino.
Thank you for the advices:) now i am more anxious than before, hahahahaha! I dont know what to do. Where did u find the hostels to book? From the guide book? Also i can not decide if i will walk the whole route or stop at Orisson.oh well i shall see as the days came closer! Well maybe we will meet on the road:) that would be nice to meet people that i have already talked with :)
Buen camino!!!!!

Hi there! RELAX! And enjoy... I didn't book anything and arrived in SJPP late afternoon. I went to the pilgrim's office and they were (easily) able to find a bed for me (and the other people - 'Camino friends' - who I had met on the train...!). Orisson is a good option if: 1) you really want to break up that first day... OR 2) you feel tired from travelling the previous day... OR 3) you are not sure of your fitness.

I think however, if you have done the necessary training, and you are sure your boots (and feet) are broken in, then walk all the way over the top to Spain! My 2 pieces of advice for that first day are... start EARLY - be on the road at 6:30 and walk slowly and steadily. And don't forget to put lots of vaseline on your feet!

I envy you this wonderful adventure that awaits you.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there! RELAX! And enjoy... I didn't book anything and arrived in SJPP late afternoon. I went to the pilgrim's office and they were (easily) able to find a bed for me (and the other people - 'Camino friends' - who I had met on the train...!). Orisson is a good option if: 1) you really want to break up that first day... OR 2) you feel tired from travelling the previous day... OR 3) you are not sure of your fitness.

I think however, if you have done the necessary training, and you are sure your boots (and feet) are broken in, then walk all the way over the top to Spain! My 2 pieces of advice for that first day are... start EARLY - be on the road at 6:30 and walk slowly and steadily. And don't forget to put lots of vaseline on your feet!

I envy you this wonderful adventure that awaits you.

Buen Camino!
:) Reading your msg made me more calm! Thank you for your useful advices :)
So I will take your advice and start early to do all the way :) i have been walking a lot and also exercise is in my everyday life so I think I will make it!!!
Can not wait for my journey to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you :)

Hello Angeliki, I am not able to figure out a private message to you, but i did contact" express bourricott apcaroline@hotmail.com" to see about booking the group taxi. she has started a list of people looking for transport that day to SJPP, so if you are interested, email her and get on her list. So far, two people, and the price goes down as more join in. Good luck and we will see you on the flight! Patti

Hello Angeliki, I am not able to figure out a private message to you, but i did contact" express bourricott apcaroline@hotmail.com" to see about booking the group taxi. she has started a list of people looking for transport that day to SJPP, so if you are interested, email her and get on her list. So far, two people, and the price goes down as more join in. Good luck and we will see you on the flight! Patti
Hallo!! I was trying to send you also a private message but I couldn't figure it out either. I did send a mail and informed them that I am also interested. So you think I am ok with just that mail? I will see you in Paris :) As I wrote you, you do not have a picture of you so you have to recognize me :) see you soon!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They got back to me quickly with an answer when I booked.....
As I'm staying overnight in Orisson you may well catch up with me on the 8th when you start your walk. Are you panning on staying at the large Albergue in Roncevalles ?
I've only booked my first nights as I want to start unstressed and would be staying in these places anyway. Last year I did the last 220km and everyone told me finding beds would be impossible. I didn't once have a problem..... Not even on the last really busy stretch from Sarria. Don't stress and everything will work out. :)

They got back to me quickly with an answer when I booked.....
As I'm staying overnight in Orisson you may well catch up with me on the 8th when you start your walk. Are you panning on staying at the large Albergue in Roncevalles ?
I've only booked my first nights as I want to start unstressed and would be staying in these places anyway. Last year I did the last 220km and everyone told me finding beds would be impossible. I didn't once have a problem..... Not even on the last really busy stretch from Sarria. Don't stress and everything will work out. :)
Hallo!!! " don't stress and everything will work out" I keep your words because for me I want my camino to be without stress and just enjoy the journey :) I haven't planned anything concerning where to sleep, I am sure I will always find a place :)
So we might meet in Roncevalles :)
Buen camino!!!!!!

I leave in less than a week and have felt exactly what you are feeling. I chose to boom my first few nights just because I knew there was no way I would be able to walk anywhere if places were not available. I am flying from the US to Madrid. I was not into figuring out the multiple busses/trains to take to get to SJPDP, so I opted to go with corazon puro, a Refugio that will help me begins camino on a stress-free note. Basically they pick me up in Pamplona (after I take a bus directly from the Madrid airport), drive me to their place, feed me, answer any questions and build my confidence, give me a bed with only 12 other people and then transport me to SJPdP in the morning after breakfast. The only other arrangement I made was a reservation in Orisson. I will be so hey lagged I knew I would need to stop early on. Other than that, the camino will provide for me. This is my first camino too

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I leave in less than a week and have felt exactly what you are feeling. I chose to boom my first few nights just because I knew there was no way I would be able to walk anywhere if places were not available. I am flying from the US to Madrid. I was not into figuring out the multiple busses/trains to take to get to SJPDP, so I opted to go with corazon puro, a Refugio that will help me begins camino on a stress-free note. Basically they pick me up in Pamplona (after I take a bus directly from the Madrid airport), drive me to their place, feed me, answer any questions and build my confidence, give me a bed with only 12 other people and then transport me to SJPdP in the morning after breakfast. The only other arrangement I made was a reservation in Orisson. I will be so hey lagged I knew I would need to stop early on. Other than that, the camino will provide for me. This is my first camino too
:) I am happy for you!!!!
Burn camino!!!!!!!

Angeliki.luk
And Erin
All you need now is faith and confidence. Everything will all fall into place for you

Just turn up at the pilgrims office in sjpdp and they will see that you have everything you need

Both you and Erin will wonder what you were afraid of a week along in your walk.
It's just being uncertain with new beginnings. And most of us have all been there so wish you both well.

Enjoy. Buen Camino.
Annie

Angeliki.luk
And Erin
All you need now is faith and confidence. Everything will all fall into place for you

Just turn up at the pilgrims office in sjpdp and they will see that you have everything you need

Both you and Erin will wonder what you were afraid of a week along in your walk.
It's just being uncertain with new beginnings. And most of us have all been there so wish you both well.

Enjoy. Buen Camino.
Annie
Thank you for your wonderful msg!!!!

Yes always new beginnings makes us scared but i believe that as soon as we start everything will be forgotten :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[If you feel strongly enough about it don't book.Also as for the first day...I guess since you are coming from Europe you won't be as tired, but it is a long amd strenuous day..if you have th e time Orisson is a lovely place with beautiful views and you will meet walking friends there..

Hallo again!!! So i send her a mail and she will add me at her list for the transportation. Are you coming also? Because she said that she hasn't had any confirmation for another person on my flight.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back