• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Month To Go!

Sedona2012

Bobbie Surber
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances st Jean to Santiago (Sept/Oct 2012) Finisterre Oct 2012
Part -Portugues (Oct. 2012)
Camino del Norte June-July 2013
Part of Camino Vezelay July 2013
Leon to Santiago October 2015
As of today I only have one month to go before departure for my Camino!

As I have spent the last 5 months getting ready for this trip I have learned so much from this forum and the many fine folks that have lent their experience and wisdom from past Camino's. "Thank you" does not seem enough to express how grateful I am to all of you.

I will start from St. Jean ending in Santiago and despite loosing weight and getting into shape and all of the advise I still have moments of worry... is my pack to heavy, have I trained enough, will I survive the first few days. Did I pack the right supplies, and why do I still hate hiking boots? But then I settle down and remember all of the post I have read and the kind emails, I know now that I will survive and if I made a mistake it will be corrected along the way.

Buen Camino!
Bobbie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Bobbie!

You'll have a great time, and it sounds as if you've prepared and researched well. I've made mistakes on all my Caminos, and there's always something we'd have done (or not done) differently. It's just the nature of the beast! :D Other pilgrims can often help out, and you'll help them out in turn.

You're starting in September, which should be great. I might even see you there as I'm getting itchy feet again!

Buen Camino!

I will start from St. Jean ending in Santiago
We have approximately the same arrival date, but I will be arriving on the Camino Ingles. I recommend the Menu at Casa Manolo! Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks! And how exciting if we did get to meet! I will start out of Saint Jean morning of September 19th. Close enough now that I am dreaming of the walk and wake up confused some mornings.

B

tyrrek said:
Hi Bobbie!

You'll have a great time, and it sounds as if you've prepared and researched well. I've made mistakes on all my Caminos, and there's always something we'd have done (or not done) differently. It's just the nature of the beast! :D Other pilgrims can often help out, and you'll help them out in turn.

You're starting in September, which should be great. I might even see you there as I'm getting itchy feet again!

Buen Camino!

falcon269 said:
I will start from St. Jean ending in Santiago
We have approximately the same arrival date,

Have a great time and thanks again for all of your post, they have been so very helpful.

I too have the same departure date! I'm starting to get really excited! This has been something on my radar for 3 years and I'm so happy that I'm doing it with the new moon virgo!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am starting out of SJPP on Sept 20th. Less than 1 month! And like Bobbie, I have learned so much from this forum.(What I hold most dear is Margaret's advice re: going slowly.) I hope that I can return the kindness and the generosity to the forum when I return.
My emotions have gone the gamut these last 6 mos...from first being really anxious and obsessive re: what I would need and having the "perfect" everything from pack to boots to rain gear. Then I let all that go for a few months... now I'm in the phase of second guessing myself and questioning past purchases but I'm inching towards letting it all go again and just letting it all happen.

dmartin53,

We will start the Camino Frances a week after you. Perhaps if you walk slow enough, as per Margaret's advice, we can catch up with you! Departing St. Jean September 27.
I, too, would like to thank all the members of this forum for their invaluable advice and good humor.
I'll be proudly sporting the forum patch on my pack.

Alice aka Ouroboros

I'm leterally just back from santiago and had the pleasure to meet Johnny Walker in the pilgrims office.The advice i would offer to anyone starting out from St jean to Santiago is as follows and purely personal;
bring as little as possible,3 pairs of lightweight fast drying socks is plenty,male or female bring 2 pairs of fast drying underwear (most ladies seemed to wear bikini or thong judging by the washing lines)
heavy boots are not needed...about a quarter of all pilgrims this month were in solomon trail runners,by santiago most heavy boots were swaying on the back of pilgrims packs not on thier feet
day one is HARD....wether you have trained or not.I'm 46 smoke a lot and have never trained in my life...in the first 2 hours i cried and wanted to go home...then i got to orison and the world was a better place.you go up 600 meters in 6 miles....then 600 more in the next 15 miles...but oh so worth it
TRUST...trust yourself....trust your pilgrim family(no one walks alone) and trust your maker to help you
have fun it is a vacation....take some luxuries(scent...favourite hairbrush?

enjoy your camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you so much for sharing your suggestions... I now have 9 days to go before my flight to Madrid. Fear is leaving and peace is setting in. I have worked hard to accept that I will miss my family terribly and have worked to not have many expectations of what the Way will be, take or give to me.

I remain grateful for the generosity and wisdom of the many forum members that has gone before. Their words have comforted me and given me the courage to jump off the ledge. :D

Bobbie

Ps: I hope to meet all of you mid-September along the way!

na2than said:
I'm leterally just back from santiago and had the pleasure to meet Johnny Walker
TRUST...trust yourself....trust your pilgrim family(no one walks alone) and trust your maker to help you
have fun it is a vacation....take some luxuries(scent...favourite hairbrush?

enjoy your camino

Good luck all of you beginning your first Camino, or returning!! I had planned on beginning on OCtober 24th of this year and finishing up in November. However, I'm finding out that things seem to be slowing down significantly durning that time - pilgrims as well as options for accommodation - do any of you have any advice or knowledge regarding how drastically things change from walking in November, as opposed to through the month of November?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Canda, keep on reading this forum, don't give up on your date if you don't want to, I don't think is that bad, just less people and a little more planning I'm leaving in three weeks and hope to find less people then right now, I like people don't get me wrong hahaha but too much of a good thing is not good hahaha :D

Buen Camino
Zo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for responding, Zo - So you will be beginning just a couple of weeks before me and you are alright with it! That's good to hear. I don't want to give up on my date as I feel as though it's the time for me - however I would love to be leaving a bit earlier, but can't due to work. I hoping to take my time as I have 2 months to complete it, and have looked a little further into hostels and albergues and many seem to be open all year round - I like people as well and hope to find lots of pilgrims to chat and have wine with in the evenings - but wouldn't want to be in the thick of things with too many people.. is it busy right now??

zzotte said:
Canda, keep on reading this forum, don't give up on your date if you don't want to, I don't think is that bad, just less people and a little more planning I'm leaving in three weeks and hope to find less people then right now, I like people don't get me wrong hahaha but too much of a good thing is not good hahaha :D

Buen Camino
Zo

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.